***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

175,261 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MW03
Vince Blake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotta love Bob
jtstanley4621
AG
Jimbo

-10000 miles of ****-

McCarthy/Kidd

That would be basically a meme hire. Cuban is going full Jerry
Saint Pablo
Sickening. Jerry 2.0. Lets goooooo
HawthornAggie
AG
I was surprised to hear that Kidd is the frontrunner. Still hoping Mosley is the next head coach.
Spaceship
AG
Kidd has a .491 career head coaching record. If we hire Finley as GM and Kidd as HC, we've downgraded at both spots. Carlisle's time had run it's course here, but Kidd is a very underwhelming replacement.
M.C. Swag
AG
This is a ****ing joke. Cuban just napalmed the franchise. When Luka demands a trade out of Dallas, it will be really easy to pinpoint the reason why.
MW03
AG
Nike Exec as basketball CEO is interesting
EconAg18
AG
Woj confirmed it seems things are trending this way. A very interesting hire if it comes to fruition.

EconAg18
AG
hph6203
AG
Spaceship said:

Kidd has a .491 career head coaching record. If we hire Finley as GM and Kidd as HC, we've downgraded at both spots. Carlisle's time had run it's course here, but Kidd is a very underwhelming replacement.
Not high on Kidd, but don't think he's absent the possibility of being a good coach in the long run. He coached a kinda thrown together Brooklyn team, and a Milwaukee team at the earliest stages of the Freak. Winning percentage really isn't a number I'd throw around as evidence as he really only has one pretty bad season and there was no lead player on that team.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Carlisle is the biggest dick i can think of. Made comments to reporters that Kidd should be coach when he knows that Mosely, who has been on his staff for 5 years, is the front runner. He's clearly just salty that the players liked Mosely so much (would probably like anyone who isn't a miserable dick) and so he wanted to make those comments. And even if Mosely does get hired, now he will constantly get questions about Rick's comments and be second guessed bc of Rick's comments.

**** off and good riddance.

I really hope we don't hire Kidd. He's had locker room problems everywhere and has shown no signs of being a good coach.
EconAg18
AG
EllisCoAg
AG
Jason Kidd will be the next Dallas Mavericks head coach, sources confirmed to NBC 5's Newy Scruggs.

Sources also confirmed Nike executive Nico Harrison will also be hired as the Mavericks' president of basketball operations.

From NBC 5
jtstanley4621
AG
hph6203 said:

Spaceship said:

Not high on Kidd, but don't think he's absent the possibility of being a good coach in the long run. He coached a kinda thrown together Brooklyn team, and a Milwaukee team at the earliest stages of the Freak. Winning percentage really isn't a number I'd throw around as evidence as he really only has one pretty bad season and there was no lead player on that team.

I'd much rather bet on an up and coming coach than seeing if Jason Kidd can figure out at his third stop as a head coach.
fightinags2013
AG
I am sick over the Kidd hire. What an enormous s*** show
mavsfan4ever
AG
I keep hoping that it's not true and that they are just throwing it out there to see what the reaction would be. Embarrassing hire.
J.P. 03
AG
Bringing in Jason Kidd as an assistant to mentor Luka would have been awesome.

Bringing in Jason Kidd as the head coach is a freaking disaster waiting to happen. You see, I see it, we all see it, except the one guy who has the power to do something about it. Blows my mind how Cuban could make a decision this stupid.
HawthornAggie
AG
From what I've read, there are quite a few that agreed with Cuban on this hire including Dirk and Finley...
hph6203
AG
Wouldn't have been my pick, but I'm not going to label him a failure before he gets started. It's entirely possible having an offensive savant like himself as the show runner he hasn't had at his previous stops will be all the difference for his success. The best "point guard" he had prior to Luka was probably a past his prime Deron Williams.
jtstanley4621
AG
I get what you're saying, Kidd just feels like a very stale hire to me. As a poster said earlier, having him as an assistant to help Luka continue to develop would be the most ideal scenario. I still just think you can do better than Kidd
Trucker 96
I'm actually not down on Kidd. I think they need new blood leading the huddle, not an internal promote. He's a sharp guy that Rick has always given a ton of credit for being a coach on that 2011 team. Like anyone else, including Rick, I think he's probably learned from his previous experience. And he's got a lot of talent at his disposal now. Being a guy whose constant mindset as a player was getting others involved, I'm hopeful he has ideas on how to get KP involved
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
I hope with a Nike exec as gm we'll finally get a rebrand.
wangus12
AG
Listening to the Muser's lying to themselves that Kidd is a decent hire is entertaining
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Carlisle is the biggest dick i can think of. Made comments to reporters that Kidd should be coach when he knows that Mosely, who has been on his staff for 5 years, is the front runner. He's clearly just salty that the players liked Mosely so much (would probably like anyone who isn't a miserable dick) and so he wanted to make those comments. And even if Mosely does get hired, now he will constantly get questions about Rick's comments and be second guessed bc of Rick's comments.

**** off and good riddance.

I really hope we don't hire Kidd. He's had locker room problems everywhere and has shown no signs of being a good coach.
Dude use some common sense. Who benefits from Rick becoming the big bad guy here? Why would Rick say this? You think he just randomly thought of Jason Kidd and decided to toss out the idea that he should be coach? Cuban told him to say that. Cuban already hired Kidd and wanted to slap Dirk and Rick's approval on it to shine up the PR hit that would come from hiring a convicted woman beater into an organization rife with toxic predatory behavior towards women.

Cuban let Rick go to Indy for 0 compensation. In return, he got Rick to advocate for Kidd as if it was some random name he thought of. And now, less than 24 hrs later, we have reports that Kidd is already assembling his staff in Dallas. Like, c'mon. There's 1 person pulling these strings.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea you're probably right. I had just listened to a bad radio segment where they were talking about Carlisle being such a grump and couldn't believe he'd say those things. And they all felt that given Rick's personality it is not beneath him to make those comments bc he didn't like the fact that someone on his staff had so much sway. But guess it makes more sense if he already knew kids was going to be named coach.
Saint Pablo
Here's an excerpt from an ESPN article from 7 years ago about JKidd's history coupled with Cuban talking about the incidents that occurred within the organization. Mind boggling to me that Cuban would make this hire given the team's recent history and Kidd's past. I also saw that the team is looking at hiring JJ Barea and Jason Terry as assistants, I love both guys, but it seems like getting the gang from 2011 back together just goes to show that the "boy's club" mentality/environment people have alleged that Cuban fostered is still very much a reality. Especially when one of the buddies you are hiring is a convicted wife beater.
Quote:

When he was a freshman at Cal, Kidd reportedly instigated a mutiny that led to Lou Campanelli's firing.

In the mid-1990s, Kidd feuded with Dallas teammate Jim Jackson, which led to him demanding a trade. Kidd ultimately ended up in Phoenix.
In January 2001, Kidd was arrested for hitting his now ex-wife Joumana. He pleaded guilty to spousal abuse and was fined $200 and ordered to take anger management training. He was eventually traded to the Nets.
In 2004, Kidd helped run New Jersey coach Byron Scott out of town. The point guard screamed at Scott during a December 2003 locker room tirade.
In December 2007, Kidd reportedly went "on strike" by complaining of a migraine and missing a game against the Knicks. He then asked out and was traded back to the Mavericks.
In a 2008 playoff game against the Hornets, Kidd was ejected after a flagrant foul for flipping Jannero Pargo. He was not suspended.
In 2010, Kidd intentionally ran into Atlanta coach Mike Woodson on the sideline during a game. He drew a technical foul on Woodson as a result. The move essentially won the game for the Mavericks. Gamesmanship or something else?
In the summer of 2012, Kidd gave Dallas a verbal commitment to re-sign. But he later decided to spurn the Mavericks and depart for New York for a similar deal. Kidd retired just one season into his two-year contract with the Knicks.
A little more than a week after joining the Knicks, Kidd was charged with driving while intoxicated after he crashed his SUV into a utility pole on Long Island. He eventually pleaded guilty and was later suspended for the first two regular-season games of his coaching career.
In late November 2013, Kidd was involved in the infamous "sodagate" incident, when he told guard Tyshawn Taylor to "hit him" while he was holding a cup of soda, which fell and had to be cleaned up. The Nets didn't have any timeouts at the time. Kidd was fined $50,000 by the NBA for his actions.
After being hired by the Nets as coach, Kidd wanted to bring in his former coach, Lawrence Frank, as his assistant and mentor. The Nets made Frank the highest paid assistant in NBA history by giving him a six-year, $6 million contract with the possibility to move into the front office. It turned out to be a disaster. In November, Kidd reportedly used a 13-letter word in an expletive-filled rant at Frank. Just 17 games in, following a 5-12 start, Frank was reassigned to daily reports.
On Saturday night, news broke that Kidd had made a failed power play with the Nets and was in discussions about becoming the next coach of the Milwaukee Bucks. The Nets traded Kidd's coaching rights to the Bucks in exchange for two second-round picks on Monday.
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/19596/history-of-jason-kidds-past-incidents

MW03
AG

fightinags2013
AG
I'd take back all my bitc**** about Kidd if that happened

Not putting much stock in it.
Is this the best we could do for him?
KP, Dorian, Josh Green, Brunson, and a first in 2024? Maybe a few pick swaps?

It doesn't look like they have a bad contract we could take on either. That is the kind of thing that can get crazy deals done sometimes.
Goldie Wilson
Dame will slot in nicely alongside DWill, Bosh, Lebron, Dwight, Deandre, Carmelo, and all the rest I'm forgetting.
EconAg18
AG
There are now rumors that the Nets are trying to trade Kyrie and want to be done with him. More stars naturally lowers the trade requirements, makes it easier for us to acquire Dame.

I wonder if we could work a 3 team trade and have Dame sent to Dallas, Kyrie sent to Portland, and we send player/picks/cash to both
hph6203
AG
I know it's not what you're suggesting, but I think I'd stop watching the Mavericks if they got Kyrie. I'm sure a lot of fan bases feel that way.

Imagine you're Portland and you lose Lillard and the consolation is Kyrie. Yikes.
COAg15
AG
JKidd and Nico are official! Head coach and GM, respectively.

Not sold on JKidd at all. Excited for Nico.
MW03
AG
I'll admit that I had no idea who Nico Harrison was about 72 hours ago. 48 hours ago, I was convinced hiring a nike bro was a dumbass move and that we needed a real basketball man to GM this thing. 24 hours ago, I became convinced that hiring Nico Harrison was essential.

I am now happy with that move, at least.
MW03
AG
EconAg18
AG
What if they lost Dame, but gained KP and Kyrie? I don't mean to make things political either, but I think Kyrie's off the field thoughts and beliefs would fit very well in Portland and resonate with the fan base.

A core of Kyrie and McCollum along with KP would be pretty nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.