***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,915 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
awrollins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ty Lue is 100 percent a downgrade from Doc Rivers.
Saint Pablo
Woke up this morning feeling like we win this series. Hopefully our guys feel slighted that the Clips tanked to play us.
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins said:

Ty Lue is 100 percent a downgrade from Doc Rivers.
lol the only reason i disagree is because i think both are equally as bad, so in a way....I agree!
PatAg
AG
One is a successful coach, the other was friends with LeBron.
Iowaggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I just hope Leonard has an off game or two on offense. Didn't seem like he had one last time.

What also helps is that annoying little **** off the bench Lou Williams is gone. It seemed like he single handedly kept the scoring going for the clippers in nearly all of those games when the starters came out. He really tore our defense up.

Yes, Lou Williams is gone. In his place is some many might thing is a little more annoying, (Playoff) Rondo.
Grapesoda2525
Iowaggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I just hope Leonard has an off game or two on offense. Didn't seem like he had one last time.

What also helps is that annoying little **** off the bench Lou Williams is gone. It seemed like he single handedly kept the scoring going for the clippers in nearly all of those games when the starters came out. He really tore our defense up.

Yes, Lou Williams is gone. In his place is some many might thing is a little more annoying, (Playoff) Rondo.
Rondo can't shoot.
M.C. Swag
AG
Except in the playoffs lol
fightinags2013
AG
This will be an interesting series...

Clippers are not quite as good as last year. They rely heavily on Reggie Jackson, and Luka will smoke Jackson when he gets him on a switch.

Meanwhile the Mavs would have almost certainly had a significantly better winning percentage than last year if they hadn't had 2+ weeks of being destroyed by COVID. All year we saw them play down to their competition and lose against bad teams, but play well against good teams (for the most part).

Signs point to a competitive series. If Porzingis is healthy, it could go 7 and the Mavs could squeak it out. If he goes down again, Clips in 6.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I already have a bunch of Mavs championship bets, but +355 this series is too good to pass up. I think it'll be very close and we have a great shot to win for all the reasons already mentioned (assuming KP stays healthy and isn't rusty).
Carlo4
AG
Anyone remember we were up 77-27 at halftime against the Clippers?
MW03
AG
Quote:

Fun note: I somehow forgot how good Jokic actually is. He's presently leading the league in assists by like 15, and he's averaging a triple double. He's also 7', about 300#.

That game last night had everything.

Dallas storms back and takes the lead in the 3rd. Jokic then proceeds to drop 15 points in the 4th. Luka drives and puts an absolute dime on Kleber, who proceeds to drain a 3 with 4 seconds left to take the lead. So what? Jokic drops a 20 footer at the buzzer for points 16 and 17 in the 4th to send the game to overtime.

I wrote that back in January after marveling at Jokic's game. Guess I understated how good he actually is since he's about to become a unanimous MVP.

PatAg
AG
Just putting my call out there

Mavs in 5
PatAg
AG
What am I overlooking with this narrative that the Clippers tanked to match the Mavericks. We weren't 5th place until all the games finished, right?
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

What am I overlooking with this narrative that the Clippers tanked to match the Mavericks. We weren't 5th place until all the games finished, right?
I think the clippers just focused on avoiding the Lakers as long as possible.
Saint Pablo
What Grapesoda said. It would be hilarious if the Lakers ended up as the 8 seed anyway, but I don't want to play them when we beat LAC.
dave94
AG
3:30 start on Saturday according to Yahoo sports.
Saint Pablo
Damn was hoping for a 9PM game.
mavsfan4ever
AG
PatAg said:

They lost to Houston on purpose to avoid the Lakers. Losing to Houston made it impossible to play the Lakers. That was 100% what they were trying to accomplish.

I guess they could have lost to OKC on purpose in order to get the Mavs over the Blazers (knowing that the Lakers would likely win and the Blazers were killing the Nuggets while all the games were ongoing). They also may have wanted the 4 seed because they assume the Lakers will be the 7 seed (so they can avoid them untill the conference finals now). But they also could have just decided to rest everyone, not really caring who they got.

Seven Costanza
AG
PatAg said:

I don't know if the Clippers lost the final game on purpose or not, but they played the game very closely against a truly terrible team right until the moment that they Dallas had lost, Portland had won, and the Lakers were up by 13 with a few minutes left. They could have strung the game along until they knew what outcome was needed, then picked their direction from there. They had the lead until the other games were basically decided, then lost in the last 2 minutes. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's plausible.
Grapesoda2525
Seven Costanza said:

PatAg said:

I don't know if the Clippers lost the final game on purpose or not, but they played the game very closely against a truly terrible team right until the moment that they Dallas had lost, Portland had won, and the Lakers were up by 13 with a few minutes left. They could have strung the game along until they knew what outcome was needed, then picked their direction from there. They had the lead until the other games were basically decided, then lost in the last 2 minutes. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's plausible.
They waited to see what side of the bracket the Lakers were on and made sure they were on the opposite so they wouldn't see the Lakers until WCF at the earliest.
Iowaggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Seven Costanza said:

PatAg said:

They waited to see what side of the bracket the Lakers were on and made sure they were on the opposite so they wouldn't see the Lakers until WCF at the earliest.

The best chance to beat the Lakers Will be early in playoffs not after playing through a play in game and two more rounds of playoffs, imo
EconAg18
AG
I don't think any team should be worried about seeing the Lakers in the WCF if they're going to play like this for a full series.
PatAg
AG
I understand that, but I read/heard about 4-5 articles/podcasts make it out to be the Clippers targeting us, which just seems dumb.
Grapesoda2525
Iowaggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Seven Costanza said:

PatAg said:

The best chance to beat the Lakers Will be early in playoffs not after playing through a play in game and two more rounds of playoffs, imo
The clippers covet a deep playoff run very badly. They haven't made it to the WCF in their franchise history. It probably really wears on them that they share a building with the most successful basketball franchise mankind has ever known. The Clippers are just trying to go as deep in the playoffs as they possibly can.

Why not? They've already surpassed the Mavericks in both the free agency and the " cheap veteran player whose very good, but wants a ring and will play for cheap" pecking order.
Iowaggie
AG
For those interested, Bill Simmons just had a podcast with a very extended interview with Dirk, like the last hour of the podcast is Bill and Dirk talking.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Man, there is a ton of rest in the playoffs this year. More so than normal years it seems. A ton of 2 days off between games.

M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Man, there is a ton of rest in the playoffs this year. More so than normal years it seems. A ton of 2 days off between games.

Yea that is crazy that they're still giving a 2 day cushion between non-travel games. Maybe to make up for the condensed regular season?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Interesting. Talking schedule on The Ticket, seems the primary goal is "done before the Olympic".
Saint Pablo
Definitely because of the compacted regular season.
BallerStaf2003
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Yea that is crazy that they're still giving a 2 day cushion between non-travel games. Maybe to make up for the condensed regular season?

I feel the playoffs have always been dragged out to get most games on national TV.
dave94
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I feel the playoffs have always been dragged out to get most games on national TV.

Yeah, the first round plays out way too long because they want so many national broadcasts. Way too many teams to do that, it's freaking annoying.
Mozart Paintings
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

this is common in the first two rounds, esp round 1. It's annoying as hell and drags it out way too much.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I bought my playoff tix, but won't be able to make game 3 bc we won't be back from vacation. So I'm planning on transferring them to my cousin. But the website won't allow me to send them to anyone or print them out.

Anyone have any clue how I can let my cousin use them? I knew you couldn't sell them on stubhub but thought you could still directly transfer them to someone you knew.

if I give my app login info to him, so he can directly login to my account, would that work? And then he can just have the tix on his phone through the app when he goes to the game?
Infection_Ag11
AG
dave94 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Yeah, the first round plays out way too long because they want so many national broadcasts. Way too many teams to do that, it's freaking annoying.

And it's completely unnecessary. There's no reason why every 1/8 and 2/7 game need to be on national TV, those games are often blowouts with the higher seed usually winning in 4-6 games.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I bought my playoff tix, but won't be able to make game 3 bc we won't be back from vacation. So I'm planning on transferring them to my cousin. But the website won't allow me to send them to anyone or print them out.

Anyone have any clue how I can let my cousin use them? I knew you couldn't sell them on stubhub but thought you could still directly transfer them to someone you knew.

if I give my app login info to him, so he can directly login to my account, would that work? And then he can just have the tix on his phone through the app when he goes to the game?
I think they'll unlock them tomorrow after the tickets go on sale to the public

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.