***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,950 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
sincereag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I seriously doubt Carlisle and Luka butted heads. Rick understands you win with super stars in this league and Luka is a young, unselfish player. He probably got tired of the boneheaded decisions the front office was making regarding personnel decisions (i.e. trading away Seth Curry for Josh Richardson and drafting players who can't contribute).
TxAG#2011
Great. Carlisle wasn't getting it done. Time for a new perspective.
greg.w.h
AG
I cannot begin to imagine the circumstances that led to this. Or how Cuban can clean it up. I do know depending on gamblers to run a pro franchise could kill the NBA. And, no, not because of legitimate gaming interests.
mavsfan4ever
AG
fightinags2013 said:

This is very damning for Cuban. Saw someone on Twitter say "Cuban is who people think Jerry Jones is."

If that's true, and we have no clue if it is, then he's been in charge of basketball ops for one of the most successful franchises in the NBA for his entire run. So I'm not sure it's as damning as people think it is.
Ol Jock 99
AG
sincereag said:

I seriously doubt Carlisle and Luka butted heads. Rick understands you win with super stars in this league and Luka is a young, unselfish player. He probably got tired of the boneheaded decisions the front office was making regarding personnel decisions (i.e. trading away Seth Curry for Josh Richardson and drafting players who can't contribute).
He was butting heads with our other $100MM player, who is a shadow of his 25 year old former self.
EconAg18
AG
M.C. Swag said:

This is bad. This is really bad man. I am extremely displeased with Cuban for letting this situation devolve to this point where a championship coach is walking away from a top 5 talent. The same man that endured the rebuild years has said he had enough. The Mavs franchise has been a beacon of stability for literally my entire adult life. The fact that we're here at this point so suddenly is....alarming to say the least.

And overall the Mavs are in a precarious position. They now have 6 weeks to find a GM who has to find a coach so they can strategize for THE most import FA summer in which the Mavs have max cap space before Luka's extension. They MUST get this right and they just added to the difficulty of the situation.

If Carlisle was going to be on the hot seat next year and had friction with Luka, then what's the difference here? Hire a coach Luka likes, whether that is promoting Mosley or hiring the Real Madrid coach (wouldn't be a fan of this imo), then get a GM who is committed to playing hardball to get guys around Luka.

No reason to hit the panic button right now. Majority of Mavs fans knew a reset was needed even if it meant parting with someone we loved like Carlisle. Now in a year if things are looking bad, and we have bad free agency periods this summer and next summer, I am more than happy to hit the panic button and say this is very very bad.
TempleAg97
AG
I thought Carlisle was an excellent coach. But EVERYTHING is about re-signing Luka and we all know this. If it means re-signing Luka, Luka can coach the team himself if he wants!
Trucker 96
The success of this franchise over the next 2-3 years is tied strongly to the ability of the coach to incorporate KP. They cashed in their chips to get him, and between his contract and his issues, the return if they want to flip him will be limited. Gotta figure out how to make this work
fightinags2013
AG
Cuban has his fair share of extreme highs and lows that are well document and probably don't need to be recounted here...

But aside from getting Luka the team really struggled to field a championship contender from 2012-present day.
fightinags2013
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
Tim McMann on Hardline: "Mavs realistically have 3 years to prove to Luka that they are a champion organization. The good news, they have the toughest piece already."
hph6203
AG
The surprising part of that take is that it's 3 years even after all this non-sense. If you asked me a week ago how long the Mavs had to get things to a point where they're winning or on the verge of a championship, I would have said 3 maybe 4 years.
EconAg18
AG
94chem
EconAg18 said:

M.C. Swag said:

This is bad. This is really bad man. I am extremely displeased with Cuban for letting this situation devolve to this point where a championship coach is walking away from a top 5 talent. The same man that endured the rebuild years has said he had enough. The Mavs franchise has been a beacon of stability for literally my entire adult life. The fact that we're here at this point so suddenly is....alarming to say the least.

And overall the Mavs are in a precarious position. They now have 6 weeks to find a GM who has to find a coach so they can strategize for THE most import FA summer in which the Mavs have max cap space before Luka's extension. They MUST get this right and they just added to the difficulty of the situation.

If Carlisle was going to be on the hot seat next year and had friction with Luka, then what's the difference here? Hire a coach Luka likes, whether that is promoting Mosley or hiring the Real Madrid coach (wouldn't be a fan of this imo), then get a GM who is committed to playing hardball to get guys around Luka.

No reason to hit the panic button right now. Majority of Mavs fans knew a reset was needed even if it meant parting with someone we loved like Carlisle. Now in a year if things are looking bad, and we have bad free agency periods this summer and next summer, I am more than happy to hit the panic button and say this is very very bad.

Belichick still with NE and Pop still with SAS. Who knows - maybe this will be our Doug Collins moment ...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
A Porzingis trade has a near 100% chance of downgrading the talent of the roster. This is unacceptable for a team that hasn't gotten out of the first round. No amount of "chemistry" can overcome that talent downgrade.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Probably hearsay, but funny and apropos - that Bill Fitch once demanded that either he goes or Dream goes...Carlisle is too smart to play that card.
94chem,
sincereag
I think we can all agree that the current regime wasn't building the right team around Luka. But whomever decided to trade Seth Curry for Josh Richardson is the biggest reason this team was out again in Rd 1. If Seth was still here shooting 3's on assists from Luka this team would still be playing. . It would have also created more spacing to free up KP to be more involved as the #2 guy...Just my opinion.
Ol Jock 99
AG
EconAg18 said:

I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
awrollins
Remember the days when we all thought we were getting the steal of the draft in Saddiq Bey and we still had Seth. Sigh.........
True Anomaly
AG
94chem said:

Probably hearsay, but funny and apropos - that Bill Fitch once demanded that either he goes or Dream goes...Carlisle is too smart to play that card.
I think you hit the nail on the head
Southlake
RC was burned out and just didn't want to deal with the kind of drama that Doncic is generating.

Mutual parting. Let the circus begin. Time for Cuban to do his job.
Trucker 96
The Donnie move was provably mutual. Rick was a one-sided decision. His.
Trucker 96
While I appreciate the positives that Cuban's ownership has brought to this organization, I do find it somewhat funny and deserved that he had the leadership of his organization absolutely implode within 48 hours of him calling this all bull***** It seems his handle on the situation was about as sound as his handle on Terdema Ussery. Talk about looking like a complete idiot. Maybe it won't matter one bit, but a dose of humble jackass pie may not be the worst thing ever.
94chem
When you have more money than God and it still doesn't make you immortal, you may not always behave in a totally predictable manner. Cuban can literally care about nothing but winning at sportball. That doesn't make him good at running it.
94chem,
Trucker 96
I think Cuban is fairly predictable. He cashed in at the right time on broadcast.com, and for the subsequent 25 years, it's fed into him thinking he's always the smartest guy in the room. So you can expect him to operate that way at all times. As critical as I am of Donnie's failures over the past decade, I am extremely confident that Mark played a big role in them.

Candidates to be the next GM are surely wondering if they actually get to be GM. That's partly why I think it ends up being a Cuban puppet like Finley. But maybe Mark has been left with so much egg on his face this week that he'll do something surprising.
BallerStaf2003
AG
He's a good man at his core, but you're right he is definitely really not a great owner at this point in time.
Trucker 96
I don't think he's a bad guy. I just think he's a guy who thinks he is right all the time which can be a dangerous trait to have when you clearly have shortcomings. That said, I do think the **** show he had with Ussery was pretty inexcusable and Mark went 100% weasel on that one.
Saint Pablo

Looks like a Kemba-KP swap is off the table.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't get that trade at all. They are trading Kemba (who is pretty washed up) and the better draft pick for horford (who is washed up)?

Is the kemba contract a lot worse and longer than the horford contract and that's why they have to give up a first?
Saint Pablo
mavsfan4ever said:

I don't get that trade at all. They are trading Kemba (who is pretty washed up) and the better draft pick for horford (who is washed up)?

Is the kemba contract a lot worse and longer than the horford contract and that's why they have to give up a first?
Horford makes $9 million less this coming season and $11 million less the year after that. Their deals both expire at the same time. Moses Brown is also a good young asset too.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Got it, thanks.
EconAg18
AG
There are going to be very interesting studies in the future on OKC's strategy of hoarding draft picks. They could go a few routes with this.
94chem
Saint Pablo said:

Looks like a Kemba-KP swap is off the table.
Good. Name all the things on a basketball court that Dirk did, that KP can't do as well or better. I'm not delusional. I didn't say KP is doing all of those things.

Good managers keep the talent happy.
94chem,
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

The kemba contract is more toxic. The pick was mostly for Moses Brown who is a really talented big on an uber friendly deal. This will also allow Boston to shop Robert Williams to get a PG.
Iowaggie
AG
EconAg18 said:

Has this been confirmed by any other sources besides KOC?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.