***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

172,179 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The Ticket (Hangzone I think) had an interesting discussion last week. Does Rick Carlisle still have "it"? Last time the Mavs really did anything, Luka wasn't even a teenager.
If you actually watched any of the last 10 years, Rick has been the only reason the seasons have been watchable. We assembled a lot of garbage/flawed teams...including this year with the flawed.

M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

The Ticket (Hangzone I think) had an interesting discussion last week. Does Rick Carlisle still have "it"? Last time the Mavs really did anything, Luka wasn't even a teenager.
If you actually watched any of the last 10 years, Rick has been the only reason the seasons have been watchable. We assembled a lot of garbage/flawed teams...including this year with the flawed.

Agreed. If we're dolling out blame pie, the FO not being able to draft a single usable player other than Josh Howard and Devin Harris outside of the lottery is where i'd start.
dave94
AG
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Agreed. If we're dolling out blame pie, the FO not being able to draft a single usable player other than Josh Howard and Devin Harris outside of the lottery is where i'd start.
All of this. The recent talk about Carlisle being on the hot seat is unfortunate, in that he's made a lot out of a little since the championship run.

I hate that he may eventually become a victim of just needing a new voice in the room.
Phat32
AG
Sick of Carlisle's bad attitude. It is no longer cute when you are showing glaring coaching issues. Get over it or get the hell out.
South Platte
I guess I'd like to see the FO take some chances. When Nash, Finley, Van Exel didn't work, they brought in Devin Harris, Stackhouse, Dampier, Terry. When that didn't work they tried Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Caron Butler. Keep moving pieces until something breaks through.

We don't have time to be patient with this Doncic team. We're not trading Doncic, but ask Houston how quickly James Harden's time flew by from age 23 to 30. We need to try to win the NBA title in the next couple of years. So far our big move is picking up JJ Redick.
South Platte
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Brunson appears to be usable. But overall yes, we're horrible at drafting. Even within the lottery we've had a tough go outside of Nowitzki and Doncic.
Trucker 96
KP was a big move. Problem is he can't stay on the court. And it's difficult to stack big moves close together. Only so much capital to give in return in windows of time
ramblin_ag02
AG
I can never tell if Carlisle knows all these rookies are terrible or if he just hates playing young players. It's painful to watch recently acquired JAG veterans get 25-30 min per game and our rookies get 5.

That's really my only beef with him
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
South Platte said:

M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Brunson appears to be usable. But overall yes, we're horrible at drafting. Even within the lottery we've had a tough go outside of Nowitzki and Doncic.
Right, meant to include Brunson. During the Carlisle tenure, Brunson might be the best draft pick this FO has made outside of the lotter (which even then has been lackluster).
PatAg
AG
yukmonkey said:

Sick of Carlisle's bad attitude. It is no longer cute when you are showing glaring coaching issues. Get over it or get the hell out.
Excellent timing with this idiotic take
Trucker 96
Rick is awesome. But I do wonder if the guy is reaching a point in his career where he may decide to take a one year battery recharge break. Now I'd never expect him to do it while having the opportunity to coach a talent like Luka, but I'm just getting a hint of burned out vibes
Ol Jock 99
AG
We are actually playing in the 1st quarter tonight boys!
gigem1223
Ol Jock 99 said:

We are actually playing in the 1st quarter tonight boys!

Most frustrating part of this team is the inconsistency of the effort on defense from game to game. They get up for good teams and play lackadaisical against bad teams. That's my beef with Carlisle this season.
EastSideAg2002
Saint Pablo
Lets goooo!
gigem1223
Now is a good time to give Luka some rest Carlisle.
awrollins
This is great...
Grapesoda2525
Nice to see the other team not show up for a change.
NukeAg10
AG
Such a bizarre team.
DANManman
AG
Man, Luka must've hated when Durant joined the Warriors like the rest of us, cause he's had it out for them his entire time in the league. Playing banged-up, second night of b2b? Don't matter. Wish he could get some rest, but something tells me this team is going to need him in more games than they should...
Jesus saves
awrollins
Big game tonight as the Clippers take on the Suns for control of the #2 seed. I thinks it's pretty obvious we want the Suns over the clips in the first round....
NoahAg
Saint Pablo said:

Time to blow it up.
I love when this is followed up w/a 30 point blowout.

Maybe this rollercoaster of inconsistency is all part of Rick's devious plan. Whoever we play in the playoffs will have no idea what to expect!
Saint Pablo
NoahAg said:

Saint Pablo said:

Time to blow it up.
I love when this is followed up w/a 30 point blowout.

Maybe this rollercoaster of inconsistency is all part of Rick's devious plan. Whoever we play in the playoffs will have no idea what to expect!
Funny timing. This team as currently constructed still has no shot at winning anything, but whoever we play in the playoffs won't know what to expect lol we will probably win a game by 30 and then inexplicably get blown out.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Lakers lost, even with Davis playing well.
awrollins
Close game on ESPN if anyone's interested, PHX up 1 on LAC with about 6 min left. Probably want the Flippers to win this one for once...
Saint Pablo
Luka sitting or nah?
Saint Pablo
This Cuban quote from an Athletic article struck me as intriguing. Don't love it.

Quote:

How has Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis' relationship evolved over the past two years, and are you surprised it's been scrutinized the way it has?
I'm not surprised about anything being scrutinized. That's the way the NBA works and more often than not it's the work of one team or another trying to invent the rumor mill so that players and teams have to respond. Whether it's trade rumors or whatever.
And as far as their relationship, it's a good, solid business relationship like two coworkers in any other business may have. You may not go to happy hour with your peers all the time. You might go out to dinner with them now and again and you are work friends and get along great at work. That's pretty much how they get along. Over time, relationships improve, particularly if a team is winning.

https://theathletic.com/2552091/2021/04/29/mark-cuban-one-on-one-the-play-in-tournament-doncic-porzingis-relationship-2021-offseason-more/
The Shank Ag
Saint Pablo said:

This Cuban quote from an Athletic article struck me as intriguing. Don't love it.

Quote:

How has Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis' relationship evolved over the past two years, and are you surprised it's been scrutinized the way it has?
I'm not surprised about anything being scrutinized. That's the way the NBA works and more often than not it's the work of one team or another trying to invent the rumor mill so that players and teams have to respond. Whether it's trade rumors or whatever.
And as far as their relationship, it's a good, solid business relationship like two coworkers in any other business may have. You may not go to happy hour with your peers all the time. You might go out to dinner with them now and again and you are work friends and get along great at work. That's pretty much how they get along. Over time, relationships improve, particularly if a team is winning.

https://theathletic.com/2552091/2021/04/29/mark-cuban-one-on-one-the-play-in-tournament-doncic-porzingis-relationship-2021-offseason-more/
Both have such different personalities it kind of makes sense. Luka wears his emotions on his sleeve, Kris always seems businesslike in demeanor. But both share a lot of traits on the basketball court. From a "bad trait" standpoint, both want to do too much by themselves at times, and that becomes a vicious cycle. Luke tries a circus shot when KP is wide open, so next time down Kris jacks a 33 footer. If he misses, Luka may try to do something crazy himself the next possession and not pass to Kris.

The more the two grow up together as men, and as basketball players, they probably will find a more common bond. There's nothing that helps build friendships better than working together and beating adversity.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It appears we have Good Hardaway tonight.
hph6203
AG
Everytime that bum Luka takes a night off Hardaway shows what a superstar he is.
Ol Jock 99
AG
#winning
Saint Pablo
KPJ dropped 50-10 tonight. Rockets nabbed him for a second rounder. Would've been nice to have added to our young core, but Donnie likes what we have in place
Ol Jock 99
AG
Saint Pablo said:

KPJ dropped 50-10 tonight. Rockets nabbed him fir a first rounder. Would've been nice to have added to our young core, but Donnie likes what we have in place
Well, at pick 30, there are a bunch of teams that wish they had grabbed him. And his time in Cleveland had red flags galore.
Saint Pablo
Ol Jock 99 said:

Saint Pablo said:

KPJ dropped 50-10 tonight. Rockets nabbed him fir a first rounder. Would've been nice to have added to our young core, but Donnie likes what we have in place
Well, at pick 30, there are a bunch of teams that wish they had grabbed him. And his time in Cleveland had red flags galore.
He's proven he was worth the second rounder the rockets gave up for him. I'm confident the Mavs could've managed him better than Cleveland did. But hey I guess now we can draft more guys like Tyrell Terry to not play for us next year.
gigem1223
Just a game back from the 5 spot

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.