***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

172,195 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saint Pablo said:

Pretty bummed out today. Helluva season, but still sad to be out and it stings losing to those guys.
Rangers will get me through the summer. And cool weather is just around the corner. And I'm sure college costs will start dropping any year now.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
mavsfan4ever
AG
I like lonzo's fit on this team. Not much out there this year. I'm just praying we don't do something dumb like sign derozan.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I like lonzo's fit on this team. Not much out there this year. I'm just praying we don't do something dumb like sign derozan.
Why would he be dumb, because he is the exact kind of player that would fit well with Luka.
True Anomaly
AG
From Mavs Moneyball- this is something that isn't mentioned much, but maybe it should be

Quote:

News flash: good players cost lots of money. Mark Cuban hasn't paid the luxury tax since 2011. These things are connected.
hph6203
AG
Not a great complaint. You can't go into the Luxury Tax by signing free agents, unless you have low dollar cap holds on players you have Bird Rights for and then sign a free agent and then sign your Bird Rights free agents for their true value.

Only other way to go into the Luxury Tax is to re-sign your own guys for larger contracts than they're currently on and I can't think of a single guy after Tyson Chandler that I wish the Mavericks had kept. Maybe Jae Crowder. No one of supreme significance that would have changed the last decade.

Luxury Tax payments are appropriate when you have the talent to justify it, the Mavs just haven't. If he's not paying Luxury tax in 4 years while Luka's on his first big contract, then we can start talking about complaining.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I think the luxury tax situation is more of a symptom of the lack of talent and a patchwork roster vs the other way around. Cuban will throw big $$$ when an opportunity makes sense, and sometimes when it doesn't. But their issues have not been because of $$$
fightinags2013
AG
Very bummed as well.

Thankful we have Olympic hoops in a few weeks.
Slovenia will try to qualify in this play in:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_FIBA_Men%27s_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournaments__Kaunas
Saint Pablo
BallerStaf2003
AG
He's staying for more years! Yes!!!!!
bigcat22
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Pay him...pay him his money
Grapesoda2525
Saint Pablo said:

It's good news for sure, but not a big surprise.

He would have to be an idiot not too. Locking up more wealth than you'll ever need the first chance you get is a no brainer decision.
Saint Pablo
Grapesoda2525 said:

Saint Pablo said:

It's good news for sure, but not a big surprise.

He would have to be an idiot not too. Locking up more wealth than you'll ever need the first chance you get is a no brainer decision.
Bill Simmons had some delusional bit about how he could/should hold out since he is such a big superstar.
mavsfan4ever
AG
PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Why would he be dumb, because he is the exact kind of player that would fit well with Luka.

Disagree. He doesn't space the floor at all and isn't a good defender. That's not the type of player I'd want with Luka. And he's about to be 32 so you'd be paying him big money for years 32-35.

I know he always plays great against us. But I wouldn't want him.
awrollins
Let's say Utah has a horrible crash in the playoffs and Rudy Gobert is put on the block. Would y'all want to trade for him and if so how much would you be willing to give up?
Phat32
AG
awrollins said:

Let's say Utah has a horrible crash in the playoffs and Rudy Gobert is put on the block. Would y'all want to trade for him and if so how much would you be willing to give up?
Mr "Get the world shut down"? **** him.
Saint Pablo
yukmonkey said:

awrollins said:

Mr "Get the world shut down"? **** him.
Yeah none of the covid stuff would've happened had he not touched some microphones.
M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
AG
This a fantastic summary of KPs tenure as a Mav so far. He's extremely limited on offense and completely broken on defense.

NoahAg
I'm very ignorant on the ins and outs of contract details, luxury tax, "Bird rights", etc.
My rudimentary understanding is that 6 of the guys are not under contract next season (and Barea comes off the books): Mavs Salaries

Hardaway - It'll be a lot of $$$ but you have to re-sign.
Reddick - Gone.
Melli - Assume they'll re-sign only when they're out of options.
Boban - I love him but I don't think he's coming back.
Bey - Gone
Hinton - Gone

Richardson is the only player option. Can he get more than $11.6MM from someone else? I'm guessing yes.

Brunson (definitely) and Willie (probably) both team options. Maybe they go ahead and give Brunson an extension?

Saint Pablo
NoahAg said:

I'm very ignorant on the ins and outs of contract details, luxury tax, "Bird rights", etc.
My rudimentary understanding is that 6 of the guys are not under contract next season (and Barea comes off the books): Mavs Salaries

Reddick - Gone.
Bey - Gone
Hinton - Gone

Richardson is the only player option. Can he get more than $11.6MM from someone else? I'm guessing yes.

Brunson (definitely) and Willie (probably) both team options. Maybe they go ahead and give Brunson an extension?

Really?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I could see them keep Boban around as a mentor to Luka. A pricey one, but I bet he wouldn't cost quite as much going forward too.
ChoppinDs40
AG
awrollins said:

KP + someone else.

We need a rim defender that can also move. Would be awesome to have someone Luka can feed to down low that has handles.

Then we need a perimeter defender that can shoot. And then someone who can also pass the ball. Brunson isn't that guy.
awrollins
I'm really in favor of bringing Boban back. Primarily because he's Luka's friend. Secondly, I think he's shown that he can actually be a contributing piece in spot moments. We also might need more of an offensive minded backup center if Porzingis were to go down again(likely).
Trucker 96
There is always room for a big oaf that can crack some skulls and grab some boards. Not an every night need, but as we've seen, useful at times. He spent the past 2 years making $3.5 each. Maybe you can bring him back for $2 or less
Ol Jock 99
AG
M.C. Swag said:

This a fantastic summary of KPs tenure as a Mav so far. He's extremely limited on offense and completely broken on defense.

Harsh, but true. Does this cat have any Dallas ties, or is he an All-NBA guy?
M.C. Swag
AG
NoahAg said:

Reddick - Gone.
Bey - Gone
Hinton - Gone

Yea the Mavs will have to sign THJ no matter what if for no other reason than to execute a Sign and Trade (SnT) due to the effects of cap holds.

THJs cap hold is $28m, which is almost the entirety of the Mavs available cap space. So they can either renounce his bird rights, free up that $28m, and risk losing him to the open market. Or operate with the limited money they have and then go above the cap to sign him to whatever they want. I think we all agree that whether you like Tim or not, we need to operate with his bird rights in tact.

WHICH MEANS...our options for improving the team get narrowed down to SnTs. So, I think the Mavs will:

• Hardaway - Keep (and then possibly use in a trade)
  • Reddick - Gone (unless he wants a vet min)
  • Melli - Gone
  • Boban - I think he stays for a vet min. MAYBE the mavs would be willing to give him another yr at his current rate. His relationship with Luka is the primary factor in that thinking.
  • Bey & Hinton - I'd be shocked if BOTH were gone. Mavs acquired Bey in that Curry trade so i can't imagine they'd punt on him given how everything else panned out. If im predicting...both are back (the Mavs FO/Rick seem to really love Hinton).
  • Richardson - This is the wild card. He's played like a vet min guy, so part of me thinks he'd be stupid to opt out with his stock so low. But the nba loves guards...and i could see 1 team offering him a 3yr-$30m deal (it'd be stupid, but i could see it). I think the Mavs should and will explore using him in a SnT scenario as well but hard to predict with his player option.
  • Brunson - For sure back
  • Willie - Probably but not a lock.

awrollins
This string of tweets frustrated me. Basically Donnie is blaming Luka's "maturity" for KP sucking. He said that Luka needs to learn "how to balance all the scoring with involving teammates." Smh
fightinags2013
AG
What is Donnie smoking? So it's Luka's fault KP has been hot garbage since the bubble. Right. I'm sure Luka will love hearing that.
MW03
AG
I am genuinely confused as to why they stopped running the 2-man game with KP and Luka, and then Luka starts trying to force the ball to Boban the second he comes in. Like, the plan was to run the offense through Boban. I don't understand that.

It seems like Carlisle put KP on the wing to open the lane for Luka to drive. Fine, I guess. But when you decide to put Boban in the middle, then why can't you put KP in the middle for a second. I mean, you're not even going to try it? Is it because KP couldn't get positioning on the block?

They way they used KP compared to Boban is genuinely confusing. As is why Rick refused to play Powell. Or Brunson but instead when to Burke.

Dude was grasping at straws and trying everything, but putting KP in the low block beside Powell, and then putting Brunson in to bring the ball up beside Luka wasn't worth a couple of plays?

Mystifying.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Totally agree. Luka and Carlisle were force feeding Boban like he was Shaq. Why not try KP out in that position, at least when Boban wasn't on the floor?

As I said before, I'm not sure if it's a personal rift between Luka/KP, if it was the game plan, or a lack of confidence in KP (probably a little of all 3), but Luka does not pass the ball to KP. Compare how much Luka passes and forces the ball to Boban even when he's covered to what he does with KP. There is a stark difference.

And the Brunson/Burke stuff is beyond comprehension. Brunson isn't some scrub who got hot a couple games. He was one of the Mavs' go to players throughout the season, one of their only non-Luka playmakers and ball handlers, and one of the top 6th men in the league. That isn't someone you put on the bench for Trey Burke in a game 7, even if Brunson had been struggling a little in the series by his standards. And even before game 7, Brunson was playing much lower minutes than he had all year. I get that you can argue that the lower minutes for Brunson are somewhat matchup based, but I don't want matchups taking 2 of our top 3-5 players completely out of the series.
Trucker 96
I would avoid anything that could be construed as public criticism of Luka until his signature is on a supermax extension. Yeah, you've got to keep figuring out how to get these guys working together better, but you can touch on that broadly and leave it at that
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I understand what Donnie is trying to say and somewhat agree, but he should probably leave it alone for now.

But I have no doubt Luka will sign the extension.
Trucker 96
I do too. I just think poking the bear is really dumb here, especially complaining about how a guy averaging 10 assists per game and is #2 in the league is assists/game is doing everything himself. WTF is that nonsense. Rick needs to figure this **** out, I don't really put it on Luka to solve
Ol Jock 99
AG
Eh, this is "GM frustrated his blockbuster trade isn't working". Luka won't notice, and if he does, won't care.
awrollins
As much as I hate the dude, you can't convince me that Marcus Morris wouldn't be a perfect fit on the Mavs. Dude who can defend, shoot the ball, and create his own shot if need be. Mavs need to find someone with a play style similar to Morris this offseason. (Morris still is a massive ****** and I hate him)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.