********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,396 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Denucci time gotta be done. Made so many horrible decisions.
Grapesoda2525
Jaylon Smith showed up on a " one player each team should cut before the 2021 season list".

Quote:

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith has been a tackling machine over the past four years (498 combined), though he has too often been a liability. In each of the last three seasons, he has allowed an opposing quarterback rating of at least 102.0 and has missed 33 tackles over that span.
Smith hasn't looked good in preseason action, while rookie first-round pick Micah Parsons has been a star. Smith isn't a core special teamer either, having played less than 20 percent of special teams snaps in each of his four campaigns.
The reality is that Smith is no longer worth his hefty six-year, $68.4 million contract.
"I think there is a very slight chance he is on the roster in 2022 and a greater-than-zero chance he is not on the roster in 2021," The Athletic's Bob Sturm wrote. "... I see some major issues with his ability to do his job and the money has already been spent. He cannot play special teams for the same reasons he cannot play linebacker at a high enough level."
Smith may stick around because of his contract, as Dallas will save nothing by cutting him. But the Cowboys should be looking for more reliable options at linebacker. Trading Smith would be ideal, but it's time to pull the plug if one cannot be facilitated.
Jabril Cox and Micah parsons definitely make him expendable in my opinion.
mike_ags_fan12
Gotta let Ben go.
Grapesoda2525
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Gotta let Ben go.
Denucci should be one of the 5 cuts on Tuesday for sure. Then give one half each to both rush and Gilbert on Sunday to determine who daks backup will be.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The only thing that keeps Jaylon on this roster for 2021 is the fact his salary guaranteed in March and the fact he sucks so bad that no one is going to trade for that contract.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

The only thing that keeps Jaylon on this roster for 2021 is the fact his salary guaranteed in March and the fact he sucks so bad that no one is going to trade for that contract.
At least he'll be gone next year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Cowboys probably have more instances of casual fans being able to make better decisions than the organization can than anyone else in the league.

Jaylon Smith sucking was a foregone conclusion and was a "Wtf were they thinking?" contract the very day it happened. Hell, some of us were pizzed we drafted the guy in the first place.

But he's made his money so I guess he's getting the last laugh.
Grapesoda2525
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Cowboys probably have more instances of casual fans being able to make better decisions than the organization can than anyone else in the league.

Jaylon Jones sucking was a foregone conclusion and was a "Wtf were they thinking?" contract the very day it happened. Hell, some of us were pizzed we drafted the guy in the first place.

Jaylon smith?
Southlake
I would have liked to see Dak play at least one series. Seems like the first time he sees real game speed against a defense like Tampa Bay might be a bit overwhelming? Especially after such a long layoff.

Dinucci looked completely lost. I thought Rush looked the best but still not the level of backup I think the Cowboys need.

TyHolden
AG
We should just save Dak for the playoffs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Jaylon Jones sucking was a foregone conclusion and was a "Wtf were they thinking?" contract the very day it happened. Hell, some of us were pizzed we drafted the guy in the first place.

Jaylon smith?

Lol yes, editing. Jaylon Jones is probably already a better player than Smith.
jr15aggie
AG
Biggest takeaway is no major injuries in the game.

Throwaway game incoming and then bring in the champs!
PatAg
AG
I think QBs, once they get to his experience and talent level, dont really need the preseason. I am more concerned that his shoulder injury is a bigger deal than they are trying to let on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Same. I'm still a bit concerned about the status of the shoulder, and more than missing a few series of a preseason game, I'm more concerned that he has basically not had any kind of useful training camp after such a long layoff due to the ankle
Ag Natural
AG
I'm not concerned at all about Dak. When he's been throwing he looks great. Dak is fully engaged and he's making the most of training camp. Its not like he's sitting on a training table all day.

Our backup QB situation sux but you could say the same for most of the league. If Dak goes down again we will be screwed again. That's pretty much how this league works.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Nm
PooDoo
AG
Macarthur
Amazing to see a transformation of the LBing Corp in such a short order. Sturm also says that with the hype around Cox and Parsons, it's getting a bit lost that LVE is having a very strong camp and preseason.

Another player that I think will be interesting to see what they do is Fehoko. By all accounts, he has not had a particularly good camp, but I still think you see flashes and the guy has tons of tools and size. Wonder if you can stash him on the PS for a year?
PooDoo
AG

Grapesoda2525
Several players entering COVID protocol. It's probably going to save Dinucci. I was hoping denucci would be one of the guys cut tomorrow. 3 picks against the lowly Texans is inexcusable.

Because of the COVID infections, the cowboys only have to cut one guy tomorrow.
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Several players entering COVID protocol. It's probably going to save Dinucci.

I think Dinucci was safe until the last cuts anyway. He'll get cut and they will bring him back on the practice squad.

The Grape also showed his true colors... we've seen it since college. The guy starts holding the ball which leads to sacks, which leads to fumbles, etc.

As an official couch GM I would keep Rush for now and see what comes available. I'd snatch up Dalton in a heartbeat if Chicago cuts him, but I have a feeling they will keep him.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Several players entering COVID protocol. It's probably going to save Dinucci.

I think Dinucci was safe until the last cuts anyway. He'll get cut and they will bring him back on the practice squad.

The Grape also showed his true colors... we've seen it since college. The guy starts holding the ball which leads to sacks, which leads to fumbles, etc.

As an official couch GM I would keep Rush for now and see what comes available. I'd snatch up Dalton in a heartbeat if Chicago cuts him, but I have a feeling they will keep him.
Why would they hold on to dinucci after this preseason? 3 picks against what is probably the worst team in football who isn't even playing their 1's against him should prove that Denucci doesn't have what it takes.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd rather put Ceedee Lamb in the backfield and run the wing T than have dinucci qb this team
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Why would they hold on to dinucci after this preseason? 3 picks against what is probably the worst team in football who isn't even playing their 1's against him should prove that Denucci doesn't have what it takes.

He's got pretty good arm talent and has good speed and running capability for a QB. Sounds like a guy that can give you a good look running scout team offense all year.

Doesn't stop Dallas from looking at a mid round QB in next years draft (and they should), but in the meantime you roll with the guy that's already here, has the relationships, etc. Easy fit for the practice squad.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

He's got pretty good arm talent and has good speed and running capability for a QB. Sounds like a guy that can give you a good look running scout team offense all year.

Doesn't stop Dallas from looking at a mid round QB in next years draft (and they should), but in the meantime you roll with the guy that's already here, has the relationships, etc. Easy fit for the practice squad.
Maybe Denucci looks good in practice, but I've never seen him show up in any game - preseason or not. Time to cut him and keep an eye out on the waiver wire.

Grape sux too. Rush is barely passable as a back up. Please find somebody who isn't cringe worthy!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
It's bizarre to me that Dak won't get a single rep in the preseason and so many of the other starters didn't see the field or saw very limited action. Is this team good enough, experienced enough to take on this strategy? I think they are gonna come out really really rusty vs Tampa.
PooDoo
AG
98Ag99Grad
AG

It's bizarre to me that Dak won't get a single rep in the preseason and so many of the other starters didn't see the field or saw very limited action. Is this team good enough, experienced enough to take on this strategy? I think they are gonna come out really really rusty vs Tampa.

I completely agree. I understand not wanting guys hurt but they need some live reps.
Grapesoda2525

They might already be chalking Tampa up as a loss and are trying to worry about the long run. I remember last year against the rams. We both played awful and tons of guys got hurt. If we play awful against Tampa, but hardly anyone gets hurt it would be a big improvement over last years start to the season.
TyHolden
AG
Mike's make it or break it year? Guys this morning were saying NFC East or fired.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Playoffs at a minimum. May need to win a playoff game.
dave94
AG
That would all depend on the circumstances leading to not having a good season.
TyHolden
AG
dave94 said:

That would all depend on the circumstances leading to not having a good season.
I agree. Gotta give the former Fighting Artichoke another year if Dak is a dud.
Baby Billy
AG
I think Jerry's patience is running low. He's definitely in a win now mentality. NFC east is horrible. Our roster is good enough to win a game or two in the playoffs with good coaching. Wouldn't be shocked at all if McCarthy was cut loose if we can't advance in the playoffs this year
Baby Billy
AG
Hard Knocks borderline unwatchable

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.