********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,391 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG 2000' said:

gigem1223 said:

So was at the game yesterday and haven't had a chance to chime in. The attitude this team took on throughout the year against the officials is chicken **** and a loser's mentality. Were there questionable call throughout the year that could have attributed to losses? Absolutely, and we've all *****ed as fans about them. But bottom line is this team is the most undisciplined team in the league. We have a $40M dollar qb now that can't carry the team or overcome adversity, An overpaid rb who now says he was playing with an injured knee getting critical carries over an explosive Pollard, an OL that has some nice pieces but the coaching staff can't seem to find the right mix, and an OC who has zero clue how to make any in game adjustments. The attitude and comments of this team yesterday during the post game press conferences made me sick as a fan.

McCarthy's ass needs to be canned asap, along with the rest of the offensive staff. His leadership is almost as incompetent as his game management. Embarrassing.
The head coach doesn't matter, the organizational arrogance and rot comes from the head down.
Well lets all give up then.

Its so lazy to just blanketly say this... repeatedly. Objectively, this organization has fixed some of their problems namely in the team building area. This is an uber talented team. Just need to get the right coaches and/or schemes in there. This team was #1 in points and yards and yet struggled mightily against good teams. We used to never blow anyone out under Garrett. Now we do. But there's work to do.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

AG 2000' said:

gigem1223 said:

So was at the game yesterday and haven't had a chance to chime in. The attitude this team took on throughout the year against the officials is chicken **** and a loser's mentality. Were there questionable call throughout the year that could have attributed to losses? Absolutely, and we've all *****ed as fans about them. But bottom line is this team is the most undisciplined team in the league. We have a $40M dollar qb now that can't carry the team or overcome adversity, An overpaid rb who now says he was playing with an injured knee getting critical carries over an explosive Pollard, an OL that has some nice pieces but the coaching staff can't seem to find the right mix, and an OC who has zero clue how to make any in game adjustments. The attitude and comments of this team yesterday during the post game press conferences made me sick as a fan.

McCarthy's ass needs to be canned asap, along with the rest of the offensive staff. His leadership is almost as incompetent as his game management. Embarrassing.
The head coach doesn't matter, the organizational arrogance and rot comes from the head down.
Well lets all give up then.

Its so lazy to just blanketly say this... repeatedly. Objectively, this organization has fixed some of their problems namely in the team building area. This is an uber talented team. Just need to get the right coaches and/or schemes in there. This team was #1 in points and yards and yet struggled mightily against good teams. We used to never blow anyone out under Garrett. Now we do. But there's work to do.
Have they? We have won three playoff games this century. Three.

I don't think it's lazy. I'm a life long Cowboys fan and I don't think we'll even win the NFC again much less a Super Bowl until Jerry is six feet under.

Jerry above all wants to validate his ego. He's likely going to make a multi-year mistake with respect to Kellen this offseason, but you can see it coming. He thinks he's uncovered the next young brilliant offensive mind and this is his precious find. Other teams interested in Kellen are only adding fuel to the fire.

Nevermind Kellen's offense got shut the F down for two thirds of this season, Jerry's only going to see the potential and his little diamond in the hand to tie his future to.

We are only blowing people out this year because our division sucks ass and Quinn's defense has been strong. Tell me how we did against non NFC-east teams.

They continue to overpay players because they suck at valuations and negotiations. We're currently paying a QB top six money who can't deal with adversity and make throws to win games. We're paying a RB top three money who is a glorified fullback at this point.

Two tackles getting 25 million who couldn't hold the line against four man fronts, and we're having to dumpster dive for guys like Connor Williams with predictable results because of our cap mismanagement. But we're paying top 3 money total our OL room who couldn't handle four man fronts from week nine onward while also being the most penalized OL unit in the league over that span.

Top five money to our WR room and then our fourth wideout is the only guy we feature (or Kellen can scheme open?) in our wild card game.

I agree we have some nice, talented pieces but roster management, contract management, and certainly game performance all have the same predictable problems we've had for a good 30+ years now.

Southlake
^
This.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Top five money to our WR room and then our fourth wideout is the only guy we feature (or Kellen can scheme open?) in our wild card game.

You described it perfectly in 1 sentence. Damn brutal and 100% truth. Complete waste of a season.
jtstanley4621
AG
I agree with everything you said, but I think Dak could be an excellent QB with a good system and talent around him. We have a little bit above average system and talent in spots, which is how we get the production we have gotten out of him IMO. No doubt he and the cowboys in general are hamstrung by Zeke's deal. Such a terrible signing

I will forever second the notion that we ain't winning **** until Jerry is dead. He deserves to toil away in his own arrogance and die never winning another ring.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Something was definitely off with Dak the last half of the season. Wouldn't be surprised to hear about an injury or psych issue kept quiet until all was said and done. That said, the coaches didn't do him any favors. Every offense has weakness, just like every defense and every team in general. Good coaches play to their strengths and work around their weaknesses. If interior line was our offense's weakness, then the coaches should have schemed around it. If Dak's internal clock was off, then throw some screens and quick slants, or let him RPO.

It's just so frustrating to see a team with so many strengths and so few weakness always have the weaknesses on display in big moments. I don't even know who to blame. I'd call it coaching, but we've had a ton of different coaches since Barry and the results are the same. We all know the one common denominator for 25 years, but I can't see how that translates to what we see on the field unless it's just a culture issue
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
This is a really good breakdown from Kurt Warner

My takeaways here are that Moore has to go. The guy is making what I think are rookie type mistakes. Continually running man concepts into zone coverages forces Dak to be almost perfect.

Dak had plenty of errors here but nothing that can't be corrected with good coaching and getting him in the right concepts.

If Moore is back, this is a pretty depressing watch because I don't see it getting better.

Ag12thman
AG
Exactly. My feeling is, with Moore still on staff, it's like we've retained a worse version of Jason Garrett. It seems that he taught Moore most of what he knows.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

Objectively, this organization has fixed some of their problems namely in the team building area. This is an uber talented team. Just need to get the right coaches and/or schemes in there

We hear this every single year. Of course they fix some things. And some other things break down. Other well run teams can fix things while having the other things still going well. You are living in some fantasy land where Cowboys brass does everything right but just has bad luck or something. That's simply not the case.

And you also keep saying its "lazy" to point to a cultural problem within the organization. Nevermind that people that cover the team say this repeatedly but if its an actual issue then its not lazy to point out. I'm pretty sure you show this weird defense of the Jones family every off-season on the boards and a lot of us don't get that.

This is an organization that continues to prop up shiny new things and doesn't provide real substance on the field.

As for Kellen Moore, like I said earlier in this thread he beat up on bad teams and is overrated. I don't see him as anything special. The point another poster made about him not being able to utilize his best WRs is spot on.

As for Dak, I believe he's capable of winning a Super Bowl but he needs a lot of things around him to go right, and he needs a more consistent offensive scheme.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm not saying the Cowboys culture is great. I think we've all seen the drawbacks of how they operate. The basically run it like a family business. They bring people in and protect them like a family would. Sometimes that means they are TOO loyal and are slow to accurately recognize the flaws.

That being said, these guys want to win as bad or worse than any of us do and are willing to do whatever it takes from a resource perspective. This isn't a situation like Cinci where they literally won't invest in scouts because the owners care more about making profits.

Hell, even in the case of Cinci. They've stumbled upon a great group of players now and look pretty good.

I think things are heading in a better direction in Dallas mainly because of the roster moves made this year. When the Cowboys have been good in the past it was really the defense that carried the team. In the 70s it was Doomsday. In the 90s they had the #1 defense a couple of years there. But after that, name the truly elite defensive players drafted by the Cowboys since 2000? Demarcus Ware? Honestly, prior to getting Parsons this year the defensive side of the draft board has been a colossal failure.

Maybe now that they've seen what quality looks like they will have more success.
Grapesoda2525
Don't know how anyone who has been watching this team since the Denver game could ever want kellen Moore back. Since that game the offense has just looked and felt off and It never really got fixed or turned around.
jr15aggie
AG
Defense was the definition of terrible last year. We add a great coach and a couple of good players and we become a defense that stole games for us this year. That's coaching.

Dak comes in as a rookie and balls out right away. Fast forward 5+ years and now all of a sudden he can't read defenses.... Tyron and Martin can't block anymore...nope... that's coaching too!

jtstanley4621
AG
Defense was shredded at times but managed to get turnovers. I'm not ready to sit here and say that side of the ball is "fixed." Parsons and Diggs are great but I don't think we'll see the same INT numbers from Diggs.

That being said, don't get me wrong: Quinn is certainly better at his job than Moore is. Both sides of the ball need to get better.
Ag12thman
AG
Seeing some news this morning that leads me to believe Quinn is probably getting a head coaching gig.
jtstanley4621
AG
If that's true I think we take a step back next season. Quinn wasn't a sure thing when we hired him but it worked out for this season (at least in turnover numbers). I would expect given the typical Jerry the GM hiring event horizons that we get someone lame to replace him, and further Quinn goes on to be a lame head coach wherever he lands
jtstanley4621
AG
Waiting for a zoom call to start so I decided to look back at the cowboys season in terms of opponents final win-loss record:

We beat 4 teams who finished above .500 this year. The best win came against New England who finished 10-7. The others were Chargers, Eagles and the Saints and they were all only 1 game above .500. Every other team with a winning record that we played (Bucs, Chiefs, Raiders, Cardinals) we lost to, albeit close losses in 3/4 of those games.

Unless I am glossing over a team that finished above .500, That brings our record against quality teams to….. 4-4. If you squint hard enough you can see Jason Garrett's specter looming behind McCarthy
jr15aggie
AG
If we are being fair, the NFL is a very competitive league and you could say the same about most teams. The only teams that win a majority of their games against .500+ teams are the #1 seeds every year.

You aren't going to find teams that consistently year in & year out win a majority of their games against other winning teams. It's gonna be about 50/50 for all franchises.

It's all about just getting to the playoffs and be playing your best ball at the end of the season. Cowboys accomplished 1 out of 2.
jtstanley4621
AG
We benefitted heavily by playing 6 games against a terrible division outside of the eagles, even though they were the last team to make the playoffs in the conference. Had we had a slightly more difficult schedule we probably don't even accomplish 1 or 2.
Goldie Wilson
jtstanley4621 said:

We benefitted heavily by playing 6 games against a terrible division .
Is the NFC East that much worse than the North or South? Clearly the West is the best of the NFC, but the other 3 divisions look pretty similar.
jr15aggie
AG
Green Bay played in a division that was equally as poor as the NFC East and they went 4-2 in those games.

Point is, the NFL is tough... division games are even tougher. Going 6-0 in your division games is difficult and dang impressive in any season. You can't and you shouldn't take that away from this years team.

We deserved to be in the playoffs and be a top seed at 12-5. We also deserved to get our asses beat the way we played. Amazing that we still had a very good chance to win that game (I'm referring to the next to last possession when we should have rammed it down their throats and gone up by 1 point... naw, we'll commit more holding penalties instead).
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Green Bay played in a division that was equally as poor as the NFC East and they went 4-2 in those games.

Point is, the NFL is tough... division games are even tougher. Going 6-0 in your division games is difficult and dang impressive in any season. You can't and you shouldn't take that away from this years team.

We deserved to be in the playoffs and be a top seed at 12-5. We also deserved to get our asses beat the way we played. Amazing that we still had a very good chance to win that game (I'm referring to the next to last possession when we should have rammed it down their throats and gone up by 1 point... naw, we'll commit more holding penalties instead).
Even tho that game got close at the end, if Garappolo wasn't hurt and Bisa out, I think they would have pulled away in the second half easily.

Cowboys were a psycho team this year. What else is new?
jr15aggie
AG
I have little doubt that GB will curb stomp SF and make our loss to them feel even worse.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Meh, I think they'd curb stomp anyone tonight. Drink a beer and relax. I need your optimism for the off-season.
NukeAg10
AG
Jimmy G has already been sacked twice tonight. ****, last week was so disappointing.
PatAg
AG
Can't believe we just blew it so badly last week
DannyDuberstein
AG
Reality is this was a 6-6 team against anyone that was not NFC East, and most of those were grinder games that were fairly close one way or the other. And they ended up on the wrong end of grinder last week
NukeAg10
AG
I remember when Dak was mobile and could find open receivers down the field. Doesn't Rodgers have a broken toe?
98Ag99Grad
AG
That doesn't bother me. Missing guys wide open with no one around for 3-5 yards is way more concerning.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The OL getting shaky and Dak getting skittish were a bad combo. He was rushing his reads and his eye level would prematurely come down to the rush, even when there wasn't real pressure yet.
Ag Natural
AG
I so very much want a stud TE for Dak.
Infection_Ag11
AG
We just gonna ignore that the Packers offense looks WAY worse than ours did last week against this team?!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

We just gonna ignore that the Packers offense looks WAY worse than ours did last week against this team?!

Meh, each week is its own animal. This field is sloppy as all get out too so I wouldn't use transitive properly like that.
NukeAg10
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Transitive property in football, esp the NFL, is worthless.
PatAg
AG
Must be nice to have a great FG kicker
PatAg
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Definitely the same playing conditions

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.