********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,394 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still don't understand Jaylon's contract. Talk about an unforced error.
TyHolden
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Jaylon. Zeke's dead money situation is a lot more rough for the next 2 years because as of this past March, his 2022 salary is now guaranteed (joining his 2021 salary). So big picture, they are paying him no matter what through 2022 so you keep him and hope to squeeze the most out of him for 21 and 22.

But his dead money drops a ton after 2022 ($6 mill which could be spread over 2 years), so they could ditch him after next year if tbey want.
my day just got a lot better...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I still don't understand Jaylon's contract. Talk about an unforced error.

Yep. Zeke's was too in my book. I know he was holding out while they were having visions of "going for it", but I think a hardline from the beginning of "we don't extend rookies 2+ years out" and you have Zeke rethinking his strategy and showing up before games start. But this regime mostly has a history of asskissing its stars when it comes to contracts, except for Dak
PooDoo
AG
gigem1223 said:

Apparently Connor Williams dominated Donald yesterday. From what I've read, it led to Donald getting frustrated and starting a little skirmish with Connor.

Video here... William's historically has held up very well against Donald. Ought to call all the teams in the Rams conference to see what we could get.

jr15aggie
AG
It's hard to not get excited about this offense. The O-line looks to be in the best shape since Dak/Zeke's rookie year. Dak is only getting better, Zeke looking slim and explosive again, and Amari Cooper may not even be the best WR on the team anymore.
jr15aggie
AG
JJ's HOF bust is one of the most realistic ever. Looks exactly like him in the 90's. Well done!

jr15aggie
AG
So CB Maurice Canady's name keeps coming up. Been hearing it for a few weeks now and sounds like he did well against the Rams. That INT in the vid above was sick!

My concern/question is, why did he not stick with the Jets if he was such a good player? Is it a scary thing that a guy who is on his 3rd team in 5 years is turning heads? Is it because our other CBs aren't very good and make him look better by comparison? I dunno... maybe the light came on for him... but the people at practice seem to like the way our CB group is getting after it.
cman1494
AG
Players can develop for sure. Maybe he was a late bloomer.

But I think we need to pump the brakes on him just a bit because of that reason. If he earns the spot in the pre-season because of his good play, then that's awesome! But he will probably be on a short leash because of his career reputation.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree on Jimmy's bust LOL. And so great to see a couple of long-time HOF injustices finally corrected with Harris and Pearson. The fact they were first team 1970s All Decade team yet not in the HOF was a joke. Every other 1st teamer was in (most long ago), and in Pearson's case, the entire 2nd team offense was in too. On defense, there are only 4 2nd teamers not in (and shocker, one of those 4 is also a Cowboy in Harvey Martin)
PooDoo
AG
Wasn't he undrafted? Easy to get caught in a numbers money game.

Just like Romo, if Quincy didn't mess up, might've bounced around before finding a home.
PooDoo
AG
Lavar has some glowing comments about his protege Micah Parsons. Says he hasn't seen young player with his skillset since... Shawn Taylor.

Macarthur
cman1494 said:

Players can develop for sure. Maybe he was a late bloomer.

But I think we need to pump the brakes on him just a bit because of that reason. If he earns the spot in the pre-season because of his good play, then that's awesome! But he will probably be on a short leash because of his career reputation.

From what I remember, they were bummed when he opted out last year due to Covid because they were high on him last year, too.
Macarthur

Isn't it amazing that Williams seems to have issues with most of the league but the best DT in the game, he owns?! lol.

Seriously though, maybe C is his most natural spot.

Maybe I was reading more into the weekend than I should, but if you track twitter, the Cowboys were pretty much pushing the Rams around.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Maybe I was reading more into the weekend than I should, but if you track twitter, the Cowboys were pretty much pushing the Rams around.

Yeah, I got a similar vibe from the various people I've listened to. Cowboys were very good against what many think will be a pretty good Rams team.

One comment, I believe from Fisher, was regarding Zeke. Said he's shown burst and the ability to get around the corner in camp. You have to question... is that good Zeke or bad Defense? Well, apparently he turned the corner on the Rams a few times too and so, for now, you have to assume it's just good Zeke.

Anyway... lots of positives to go around. Rookies playing very well, offense looks stacked, and Quinn appears to be just what the Dr. ordered for our defense.
PatAg
AG
Man...my first reaction was they were just playing it safe with Dak, HoF game doesnt really mean anything.
We can't handle him missing real games
GCP12
AG
I am not a true Cowboy fan and I agree with your assessment. I also think that CeeDee came off like a likeable stud
dave94
AG
PatAg said:

Man...my first reaction was they were just playing it safe with Dak, HoF game doesnt really mean anything.
We can't handle him missing real games

I haven't watched hard knocks yet, but heard he was throwing today. Exactly two weeks after he pulled himself out of practice.
dave94
AG
That was an awesome episode. I loved how the players they featured came off and McCarthy and Quinn seem like great leaders.
Spaceship
AG
Dak is an easy guy to root for
Zeke came across more likable than I had in my head
Dan Quinn is an over-cusser
Jerry is still Jerry
98Ag99Grad
AG
Ha yeah he loves dropping F bombs.
gigem1223
My biggest take away was Zeke's weight loss. He looks much quicker. Think he's in for a big season.
PatAg
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Ha yeah he loves dropping F bombs.
He also seems to be the "peace" guy when it comes to good byes.
jr15aggie
AG
Halfway through Ep 1.... would you guys please, for the love of all that is Holy, keep both hands on the friggin bike!!!!!!!!
jr15aggie
AG
Hard Knocks impressions:

• With that dangly gold earring, for a split second Micah looked just like Lawrence Taylor. Looked up their measureables... both of them at 6'3" and ~ 240 lbs playing weight. Damn, I'll take any similarities to LT on the field.
  • Zeke is back. Time will tell if it turns into productivity, but he's finally back to his rookie year form. Very obvious the work he put in this offseason.
  • Respect to LVE. Gotta be humbling when the rookie is the guy calling the plays, etc. But he looks to be very positive and ready to go. Contract year for him, I expect to see his best.

And.... They liked to say the F word.... a lot! /Forrest Gump
gigem1223
Dak getting another MRI on his throwing shoulder. Something tells me they're downplaying this thing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
gigem1223 said:

Dak getting another MRI on his throwing shoulder. Something tells me they're downplaying this thing.

Starting to get worried with this news. Shoulder injuries are no joke either if this turns out to be something more than a muscle strain. If we start hearing word of issues about the rotator cuff, labrum, etc., we could be talking about another lost year + questions as to what kind of qb he is after it all. I'm not on the ledge yet and only throwing that out there as worst case scenario, but it's something to listen for over the next few days as information leaks out as to what they are finding. This is probably is just a thorough check on how the muscle is progressing, but we'll see
PooDoo
AG
Felt like I had a premonition while watch Jerry getting emotional during the opening presser.

Cowboys arent going to win another Superbowl until the year Jerry dies.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Cowboys LB's are best in league by a mile.

Rest of team.....not so
much.
FJB
Grapesoda2525
aggiepaintrain said:

Rest of team.....not so
much.
Can't wait until Jaylon is gone.
Ag Natural
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Rest of team.....not so
much.
Can't wait until Jaylon is gone.

Why the hate for Jaylon? There seems to be a lot of that on this board. Is it because he signed a big contract? Is it because our dumas DCs kept trying to use him as 3 down MLB? The guy is an elite down hill thumper with good passrushing ability. Use him in those roles and he's an impact player. He's also a team leader and has been from day one.
Agristotle
AG
There was a lot of chatter last year that Jaylon spent too much time on his outside endeavors. And while I don't blame him for taking the money, his play is not worth his contract.
dave94
AG
Agristotle said:

There was a lot of chatter last year that Jaylon spent too much time on his outside endeavors. And while I don't blame him for taking the money, his play is not worth his contract.

While I agree he had a bad year on the field, I think most of the talk about his business endeavors (sunglasses company) was on the Ticket. They dogged him a lot but i don't remember any other reports about that.
Ag Natural
AG
dave94 said:

Agristotle said:

While I agree he had a bad year on the field, I think most of the talk about his business endeavors (sunglasses company) was on the Ticket. They dogged him a lot but i don't remember any other reports about that.

Its also rediculous. I assume they think Dak is a scrub too since he does so many commercials.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm going to withhold too much judgement until I see them play this year. Covid made the NFL a mess last year. Team facilities closed, local gyms closed, etc. Hard to be too critical when the guys had limited opportunities to put the work in.

It will all work itself out on the field though. If Jaylon is still 'meh' this year and Gregory gets 10 sacks you know what they are gonna do.
jr15aggie
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.