********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,393 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jerry can be talked out of things at times but I feel like if he really wants something it ends up happening more times than not. A good example of that is the Zeke deal.

I know McClay is the de facto GM, but the waters are muddied enough by Jerry being the "figurehead" GM that it absolutely creates issues. There needs to be a full stop separation between owner and GM. I would imagine if Jerry is involved with decisions it makes blame for things happening less clear and keeps people around for longer than they should be
Macarthur
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but if you going to lay all the blame at JJ's feet, you gotta give him credit for a move like Amari Cooper. Ended up being a fantastic trade.
Saint Pablo
People thought Washington was going to win this division.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Maybe I just notice this with Dallas because I follow them but it always seems they do these huge contracts then immediately restructure the deal the following year or 2 and push alot of the money out so when the guy is cut they take this large cap hit. Is this the norm for all teams or more front office blunders?
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but if you going to lay all the blame at JJ's feet, you gotta give him credit for a move like Amari Cooper. Ended up being a fantastic trade.

Now see, you are trying to use logic and reason when discussing the Cowboys. Doesn't work, I've tried.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's pretty common. And especially this year with a big drop in the cap
dave94
AG
It seems like the restructuring they've done recently actually makes the hit less when they do decide to drop a player.

And they have some space this year even to work with don't they?
Ag Natural
AG
My observation is the decision making process in Dallas is actually TOO collaborative. Jerry welcomes all the heat. But in reality they make decisions as a group and the coaching staff has influence. We know Marinelli loved Taco. We know Garrett loved Zeke.

I dont know who has the loudest voice in that room. And thats part of the problem.
Ag Natural
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Maybe I just notice this with Dallas because I follow them but it always seems they do these huge contracts then immediately restructure the deal the following year or 2 and push alot of the money out so when the guy is cut they take this large cap hit. Is this the norm for all teams or more front office blunders?

Its very common. Even successful team have had years where they had to cut a bunch if players just to get under the cap. I read that New Orleans had to trim $100 million this offseason.
jtstanley4621
AG
Macarthur said:

Sure, but who is to say that wasn't will mcclay's doing? My point is simply that the separation of power within the cowboys is messed up, and that an owner shouldn't be as involved with the front office decisions as Jerry is
PooDoo
AG
When I heard McClay take the blame for the Taco pick it make me lose a little faith in him.
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

When I heard McClay take the blame for the Taco pick it make me lose a little faith in him.

A lot of teams / guys missed this pick. You think Atlanta feels good about taking Tak McKinley instead of Watt? How about Miami taking Charles Harris? All 3 (including Taco) that were taken before Watt have been absolute 1st round busts! None of them even finished their contracts with the team that drafted them.

Cowboys have been pretty good in the draft. What they have failed to do in recent years is draft guys and develop them into consistent All Pros. We have guys that might flash greatness one year (Zeke, LVE, etc), but it's not sustained. Outside of Dak we have really lacked the ability to draft long term superstars.

I'm hoping CD, Parsons, and Diggs change that trend!
jtstanley4621
AG
Tak McKinley at least had mediocre production when he was in Atlanta. 16.5 sacks in 4 years. We got 4 sacks out of Charlton and he was gone after 2 seasons.

Harris is probably the best comparison for Taco, and they both might be the frontrunners for the worst first round picks of the 2017 draft. "Other teams missed too!" is a lame excuse for a draft bust IMO. Doesn't make it any better that we whiffed hard. Pretty sure as an organization the standard shouldn't be keeping pace with the Falcons or Dolphins
DannyDuberstein
AG
I do not see how they could watch Taco's college film and see a player. He looked like he was running in sand. I think I posted that exact comment when he was drafted. Took him until his junior year to start and he really only produced his senior year. He was the absolute least surprising 1st round bust I've ever seen Dallas take
dave94
AG
Man, y'all must have teams beating your door down for their GM spot!
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I do not see how they could watch Taco's college film and see a player. He looked like he was running in sand. I think I posted that exact comment when he was drafted. Took him until his junior year to start and he really only produced his senior year. He was the absolute least surprising 1st round bust I've ever seen Dallas take

2 things:

1. Some of you guys are just negative nancies and I have to post rebuttals just to keep some balance around here.

2. I specifically remember Danny HATING the Taco pick before/during/after it happened. He can gripe all he wants... he called it!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
dave94 said:

Man, y'all must have teams beating your door down for their GM spot!

I feel like an 8 year old could have watched Taco's film and know he wasn't worth a ****. These appeals to authority are always funny to me though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I won't be a negetive nancy about much of their drafting. On the whole, I think they've done a decent job. There have just been a few risks that I either hated (Taco and Jaylon) and I would have gone a different direction on Zeke (although that is not an end-of-the world one, I mostly dont like the extension). But there have been a lot of good picks
Macarthur
jtstanley4621 said:

Tak McKinley at least had mediocre production when he was in Atlanta. 16.5 sacks in 4 years. We got 4 sacks out of Charlton and he was gone after 2 seasons.

Harris is probably the best comparison for Taco, and they both might be the frontrunners for the worst first round picks of the 2017 draft. "Other teams missed too!" is a lame excuse for a draft bust IMO. Doesn't make it any better that we whiffed hard. Pretty sure as an organization the standard shouldn't be keeping pace with the Falcons or Dolphins

I understand what you're saying, but there is some legitimacy here.

Two things:

I will try to find it but I saw someone look at draft picks over a decade or so and Dallas was actually top 1/3 of the league. I know it's hard to believe, but they've actually been good.

Second, Belicheck has made comments that he believes the best way to draft is quantity. He acknowledges that all teams have a fair amount of misses so he thinks it's smarter to try and go with a higher number of picks to simply improve your odds.

jtstanley4621
AG
It's hard to quantify overall success simply looking at who "hit" in the draft. The cowboys have done a pretty good job drafting in the first round, but it seems like we always have teams that are top heavy. Our draft success probably looks good on paper but when it comes to putting together a complete team, we fall pretty short of the mark
Ag Natural
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

It's hard to quantify overall success simply looking at who "hit" in the draft. The cowboys have done a pretty good job drafting in the first round, but it seems like we always have teams that are top heavy. Our draft success probably looks good on paper but when it comes to putting together a complete team, we fall pretty short of the mark

I think we've been bad at drafting defensive players in general. The last perennial all pro we drafted was who? Demarcus Ware? We've had a few guys back their way into the probowl. Lawrence, LVE, Sean Lee, Byron Jones. But no legit stars to build around. And its not like they haven't tried using premium picks. They've just whiffed or got the injury bug.

Maybe Diggs and Parsons can reverse the trend and start a foundation.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think that is a very fair assessment. Largely money on offense, but defense has definitely been challenged. I do wonder how much of that has been related to the number of voices in the room - like how much influence Marinelli may have had, etc.

I feel like on O they've done a better job of taking the best talent that fell to them. On D I think they spent more time letting the system dictate the talent vs jist finding ballers, and as a result, they've ended up with less talent
TheCougarHunter
AG
Predictions? Let's get em on tape

With both starting DE and safeties out and as long as Brown is on the field we can't stop Herbert. Dak won't be able to carry this one by himself.

38-35 Chargers
Saint Pablo
31-27 Boys.
gigem1223
Chargers missing key starters as well in Bulaga, Harris and Jones. I think the run game gets going today and Boys win 38-31
Goldie Wilson
28 - 24 Chargers
gigem1223
COVID rules are so damn stupid. If you're vaccinated and asymptomatic you should be cleared to play. Gregory is both.
jteagle
AG
I'm sure I'm just being stupid or have wishful thinking but I think the defense shuts them down and Dallas rolls!

27-10 Cowboys
TyHolden
AG
31-28 chargers
DannyDuberstein
AG
Chargers by 4-7 in a high scoring game. Both over 30
gigem1223
Eagles lose. Not the end of the world if we can't squeak this one out
TexasAggiesWin
S
New Chargers stadium looks amazing
TyHolden
AG
Was that bosa down?
DannyDuberstein
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

New Chargers stadium looks amazing

It does look pretty badass. Love how the ETFE roof makes it still look somewhat outdoors.

It's almost as cool as the Rams new stadium
NukeAg10
AG
Got bailed out there. Zeke could've had it on the third down, but bouncing it outside killed the play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.