********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,392 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
TDub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag Natural
AG
Parsons forcing turnovers already!!
Danny Vermin
Feeling pretty good about Gilbert being the backup this year.
Vince Blake
Micah Parsons is just jumping out on defense!
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

cman1494 said:

I think I'm looking the most forward to DiNucci and Gilbert. Hopefully they each get a half. Don't need to see Cooper Rush, he's played in plenty of preseasons before and I feel like he's a camp arm more than anything.

My gut tells me Gilbert will look better, but that's why they play the games. Also excited to see the rookie CBs and LBs.
Its pretty much a certainty Gilbert is the backup. All reports are hes looked very good.

I just hope to see that DiNucci has adjusted to the diff level of competition.

Welp
DannyDuberstein
AG
PooDoo said:

The 105.3 guys say DiNucci's horrible... completely trashing him. JeffC says he's on the team because Coach knew him in the 8th grade.

Looking like they are not wrong
98Ag99Grad
AG
Dinucci is not a NFL QB. He should have been cut after the Philly game last year. Gilbert looked fine, has a good arm and quick release. If Dak goes down your still screwed but he at least gives you a chance.
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah Dinucci is terrible.
cman1494
AG
DiNucci needs to be cut sadly. As does Ty Neshke, the LT. He was a revolving door last night...

They ought to keep Gilbert, part with Rush and DiNucci, then sign someone like Bortles to give Gilbert a little competition and make him work for it.
jr15aggie
AG
Haven't watched 2nd half yet... sounds like it was brutal. 1st half thoughts:

1. Refs decided holding, hooking, and WR push offs were perfectly fine if you were a Steeler. It's preseason and I'm already getting pissed at refs missing the most blatant and obvious. C'mon man!!!!

2. Parsons definitely flashed in limited playing time.

3. Jaylon played very little, but darned if he wasn't doing Jaylon stuff on the very first play. WR catches the ball, WR is on his way to the ground, Jaylon tries to pad the stats and dives at him..... only person he hits is Bossman Fat who was actually making the tackle.

4. The tight end, McKeon I think it is, made a really nice catch and then broken tackle for a first down. I've heard the crew in Oxnard talking about him. He will push Sprinkle for the 3rd TE spot but blocking will be the key.

5. I'd love for a rookie WR to step up, but at the end of the day, very likely our back-up WRs will once again be Brown and Wilson. And nothing wrong with that, Brown is a helluva special teams player and capable WR... and Wilson is better than most of the 4th WRs in the league IMO.
jr15aggie
AG
Been watching the 2nd half in the background as I work... Just saw DiNucci throw his 2nd pick a few minutes into the 4th.

I honestly don't get all the hate. This is his 1st true offseason / training camp as an undrafted free agent. He throws a good ball and I appreciate his willingness to throw down field. Most guys in his shoes would be captain check down and be too afraid to make a mistake.

For a glorified exhibition I liked the his approach, even when it lead to INTs. Coaches can work with that and teach much more than dump off passes that lead to punts. Anyway, I saw more good than bad.
jr15aggie
AG
#40 Nashan Wright.... I like this kid. Big and can run. Showed good instincts in zone letting his guy go and made a nice tackle on the underneath route. Was right there with Claypool on the deep ball and I liked how he drew the push off foul. The friggin refs threw no flags... of course... but you can tell he knows how to play the game. For a rookie he played well.

#41 Azur Kamara.... This guy, on the other hand, has NO football instincts. Had the QB dead to rights on a fake hand off / roll-out... he bit inside on the RB instead. Wow, even on TV it was blatantly obvious what was coming. Then later in the 4th he had another clean run at the QB... could have easily batted down or disrupted the throw with hands up... instead he went hands to the chest to make a hit... TD Steelers. That guy has to go!

98Ag99Grad
AG
jr15aggie said:

Been watching the 2nd half in the background as I work... Just saw DiNucci throw his 2nd pick a few minutes into the 4th.

I honestly don't get all the hate. This is his 1st true offseason / training camp as an undrafted free agent. He throws a good ball and I appreciate his willingness to throw down field. Most guys in his shoes would be captain check down and be too afraid to make a mistake.

For a glorified exhibition I liked the his approach, even when it lead to INTs. Coaches can work with that and teach much more than dump off passes that lead to punts. Anyway, I saw more good than bad.
I always appreciate your eternal optimism on the threads, I do, but man I just can't see it. He's always falling away when he throws and that funky motion of his is awful. Arm strength is very bad too. Best thing he did all night was scramble 20 yards on 4th down right before the game ended.
Macarthur
Yeah, I don't see much of a problem with holding onto DiNucci one more year and stashing him on the practice squad. He showed some juice on that scramble and he does have some moxie....he just clearly needs time to adjust to the level.

Wright at CB showed something. He was going against a legit NFL WR most of the game and he held his own.

The swing OT is still a worry and should be a higher priority because, as much as I want it to happen, we can't depend on Tyron for 17 games.

Dowdle showed a little somthing...like him

Sewo showed somthing too. I think he def makes the team as a FB, ST and all around type guy.

They will have to cut a WR that may make another team. Good depth there.

That first group of Interior OL looked pretty good and I thought Williams looked decent at C. I think the interior OL is going to be good to very good this year. The key, obviously, is the health of the OT's.

He didn't play but CD Lamb is going to be a beast this year.

Parsons, while not playing a whole lot, just looks like a diff dude. He is big and fast and he finds himself around the ball all the time. He's going to be awesome.

Didn't specifically watch Bohanna, but I did see him around the ball a few times. I think if he gets in better physical condition, he could be a nice find.

While most of the defensive starters were not out there, that defense did look different than last year. It did look like guys had some grasp of fundamentals and didn't appear to be confused all the time. That's a big plus, IMO.
Ag Natural
AG
Parson's is going to be great.

Bohannan played A LOT. They are clearly trying to turn him into something.

That Wright pick was getting criticized heavily and universally. He's currently listed as a starter I know it's early but he looks like a player to me.

Dinucci is supposed to have a great arm but he must have the worst footwork ever. Yeah it's cool when guys can throw from different angles, but you don't HAVE TO DO IT ON EVERY THROW. As soon as he came in the whole game got boring.
jr15aggie
AG
Ha, thanks man... appreciate you approving of my optimism!

My evaluation was probably skewed from reading the various "cut him now" comments before I watched the 2nd half. The expectation was the freshman version of Kellen Mond with a Star on his helmet. But he wasn't as bad as some of y'all made him out to be so I came away with more positives than negatives!

Give him more pre-season reps and then stash him on the practice squad.
JAggie2007
Southlake
I didn't notice anything but a crappy Hall of Fame game.

I don't trust Gilbert. If Dak goes down again, I'd like to see a better backup.
PooDoo
AG
Southlake
Guess I missed something (as usual), but wasn't MP going to wear #9?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Southlake said:

Guess I missed something (as usual), but wasn't MP going to wear #9?

He'll be able to switch to it after they cut Jaylon Smith's worthless ass

Parsons was 11 at PSU
Southlake
Got it. Thanks.

Ditto on Smith
gigem1223
Basham and Gallimore both with lower leg injuries in the Rams scrimmage yesterday. Hopefully nothing serious.
PooDoo
AG
Joe Looney retires from Giants
***NSFW McAfee***
GCP12
AG
Cutting Smith is a realistic option for the Cowboys? NFL contracts are hilarious
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think his dead money would be $16 mill, so if they want to ditch him, eat $8 this year and $8 next. Not something you want to do, but his cap hit for being on the team this year is $9 so it would save a little money in 2021 to cut him. Or if they keep him around this year and cut him before March, I think they eat $7 next year.

So big picture, if you don't see a future for him here, there's not a cap benefit to waiting. The next main decision point is March of next year where his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster
GCP12
AG
Thanks for the explanation. Just crazy that he signed a "$68 million deal" 2 years ago.
Ag Natural
AG
I bet they use Smith primarily as a pass rusher this year.
gigem1223
Apparently Connor Williams dominated Donald yesterday. From what I've read, it led to Donald getting frustrated and starting a little skirmish with Connor.
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

Apparently Connor Williams dominated Donald yesterday. From what I've read, it led to Donald getting frustrated and starting a little skirmish with Connor.

I saw that too. Here's Collins getting in on it.

Macarthur
Cowboys OL looking good so far.

Also, it appears one of the reasons they are using Williams at C so much is that McGovern supposedly looks great in camp.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

I'm ready to friggin love this guy! I hope that by mid year a handful of teams are looking back at his college film and his measurables and trying to figure out why they passed on him.

Be even sweeter if Joseph plays at a similar level as those CBs we wanted.
TyHolden
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think his dead money would be $16 mill, so if they want to ditch him, eat $8 this year and $8 next. Not something you want to do, but his cap hit for being on the team this year is $9 so it would save a little money in 2021 to cut him. Or if they keep him around this year and cut him before March, I think they eat $7 next year.

So big picture, if you don't see a future for him here, there's not a cap benefit to waiting. The next main decision point is March of next year where his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster
we talking zeke? i think he either produces or they cut him. we are basically doing exactly what the rams did without a great defense (as of last year). let's see if it pays off cotton.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jaylon. Zeke's dead money situation is a lot more rough for the next 2 years because as of this past March, his 2022 salary is now guaranteed (joining his 2021 salary). So big picture, they are paying him no matter what through 2022 so you keep him and hope to squeeze the most out of him for 21 and 22.

But his dead money drops a ton after 2022 ($6 mill which could be spread over 2 years), so they could ditch him after next year if tbey want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.