********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

192,389 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

Can someone explain to me how Mccarthy is so lowly regarded by NFL media? I heard at least 3 different outlets absolutely slautering him today AFTER A BIG WIN.

The narrative is this team is winning in spite of his bumbling and the Dak/Moore/Quinn combo is the true coaching staff. Mccarthy is basically a non contributor.

I dont get it. I never paid much attention to him but he has a great track record in particular with QB development. My perception is this team is playing hard and they seem well prepared. A lot of subs have come in and played well. That mindset and that sense of preparation is coaching in my book. I think too many focus on stuff like play calling and timeouts when that's such a small percentage of the job.

That being said, if he's bumbling I never saw it. What are these giant mistakes he's been making?

He's made his share of mistakes with clock management at end of half/ games, none of which have cost them the game. Something every coach in the nfl has had their struggles with. And I agree he's criminally underrated as a HC. Has been his entire career. Any other coach leading the cowboys to a 5-1 start would be in coach of the year conversations.

Do you have an example? I know last year he got a little carried away with 4th downs and punt fakes. But this season I haven't had many complaints.

PatAg
AG
rsf0626 said:

I dont think Kazee is a bad safety. Just had a bad game
Agreed, I was linking it more as to say it happened twice and I wonder what is leading to it.
Could simply be he got a penalty for it in the previous game, but it sure seems like he was just looking more to catch the ball then break it up
gigem1223
Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

Can someone explain to me how Mccarthy is so lowly regarded by NFL media? I heard at least 3 different outlets absolutely slautering him today AFTER A BIG WIN.

The narrative is this team is winning in spite of his bumbling and the Dak/Moore/Quinn combo is the true coaching staff. Mccarthy is basically a non contributor.

I dont get it. I never paid much attention to him but he has a great track record in particular with QB development. My perception is this team is playing hard and they seem well prepared. A lot of subs have come in and played well. That mindset and that sense of preparation is coaching in my book. I think too many focus on stuff like play calling and timeouts when that's such a small percentage of the job.

That being said, if he's bumbling I never saw it. What are these giant mistakes he's been making?

He's made his share of mistakes with clock management at end of half/ games, none of which have cost them the game. Something every coach in the nfl has had their struggles with. And I agree he's criminally underrated as a HC. Has been his entire career. Any other coach leading the cowboys to a 5-1 start would be in coach of the year conversations.

Do you have an example? I know last year he got a little carried away with 4th downs and punt fakes. But this season I haven't had many complaints.

Well this week with calling a time out with 22 seconds left in the half just to kick a field goal. At San Diego, settling for a 56 yard fg and not running another play with 30 seconds still on the clock.
Ag Natural
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

Well this week with calling a time out with 22 seconds left in the half just to kick a field goal. At San Diego, settling for a 56 yard fg and not running another play with 30 seconds still on the clock.

Im assuming you mean the end of the game at NE kicking before running the clock down. Not exactly an aggregious error. Watching the game live I thought it was 3rd down. I assume Mccarthy did too. Im pretty sure the TV showed it was 2nd down before the play. As for the SD FG, Mccarthy said his view of the time clock went blank right at that moment. That sound like BS until you watch the next week the exact thing happened at the LA stadium.

I hate defending coaches for this kind of stuff but it just feels petty to criticize over these little things when 99% of the job is done by then. I wonder if Patriot fans are killing Bilichik over punting on numerous 4th and shorts. They probably are and that is more justified IMO.
dave94
AG
Bills fans tonight are surely losing their ****
Grapesoda2525
Ag Natural said:

It is kind of weird. I'm sure he helped us on offense even a little bit.

I'd much rather have him over jason Garrett.
gigem1223
Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

I hate defending coaches for this kind of stuff but it just feels petty to criticize over these little things when 99% of the job is done by then. I wonder if Patriot fans are killing Bilichik over punting on numerous 4th and shorts. They probably are and that is more justified IMO.

Can't tell if you're arguing with me or not but I literally said as much in my response to your original post. We're in agreement that McCarthy is underrated.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'll own up to be being critical of him during the games. I don't understand going for it on 4th on the first series deep in your own territory but not going for it late in the game and settling for a FG attempt. I thought he wasted too much time at the end of the SD game and took another risky FG attempt. Now, we've won those games so can't whine too much but those are still head scratchers. the offense seems to be all Moore, and of course the defense is Quinn, so stuff like that falls to him and shouldn't be missed IMO. I don;t think he's awful, but just feels they're winning in spite of him right now. Just my .02
PatAg
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

I'll own up to be being critical of him during the games. I don't understand going for it on 4th on the first series deep in your own territory but not going for it late in the game and settling for a FG attempt. I thought he wasted too much time at the end of the SD game and took another risky FG attempt. Now, we've won those games so can't whine too much but those are still head scratchers. the offense seems to be all Moore, and of course the defense is Quinn, so stuff like that falls to him and shouldn't be missed IMO. I don;t think he's awful, but just feels they're winning in spite of him right now. Just my .02
I would imagine this perception has to do with none of us really understanding the relationship between the HC and his coordinators. How involved are they actually, basically.
jteagle
AG
I saw several people criticize the fact that he went for 4th and 1 early in the game in his own end of the field and then later when the game was on the line he chose not to go for it on 4th down.

Of course one of the biggest and most vocal critics that I saw was Rex Ryan who was a terrible head coach and is pretty much jealous of anyone that still has a job in the NFL
cman1494
AG
I choose not to pay attention to anything Rex Ryan says because he was an awful head coach.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I have a hard time arguing with a decision to try and get the lead late in the 4th quarter with a FG. You make those 2 yards and still need a FG to win. You don't make it and it's pretty much game over.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They were 2 very different situations. I'll raise my hand as being critical of both.

1st one - at your own 30 to start the game against a team struggling to score points this year. You fail and you Immediately gift them at least 3. And on the toad, i thought they were giving the crowd an early chance to get into it. Dak was gonna score points; no need to get impatient.

Late game - I thought the odds of converting were at least as good as making the kick. 50+ yard kick which Greg Z was 4 of 11 before the kick as a Cowboy (55% for his career). Also gives you a slim 2 point lead with a lot of clock left for NE. I like my chances at converting, keeping the ball, and salting it away with a TD or a FG that doesnt leave NE much time to respond

I like the principle of being more aggressive on 4th down, but I think McCarthy's feel for when these analytics make sense and when they don't is shaky AF.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Haven't been watching Whitney Merciless this year

He got anything left in the tank? Can the Cowboys use him?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Said very well and I agree
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thanks. And don't get me wrong, if given the choice between the super-conservative Jason Garrett vs. the gorilla-with-a-slide-rule McCarthy, I'd actually take the latter because I do like being aggressive. But again, his feel for when to push vs when to pull back is somewhat out of kilter. I do think overall it's been better this year vs last though
jteagle
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Thanks. And don't get me wrong, if given the choice between the super-conservative Jason Garrett vs. the gorilla-with-a-slide-rule McCarthy, I'd actually take the latter because I do like being aggressive. But again, his feel for when to push vs when to pull back is somewhat out of kilter. I do think overall it's been better this year vs last though
I agree. There are some things that definitely make you scratch your head. Fortunately it hasn't cost us a game yet. If it does then I'm sure there will be a much bigger uproar among the fanbase.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I also don't fault him for leaving time on the clock before the tying kick. It was 4th and so short that I felt like it was not an immediate no brainer kick. There was a decision to be made vs immediately boxing yourself into a kick decision by letting it run. NE wasn't going to do anything whether it was 0 seconds or 20 seconds
jtstanley4621
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He's for SURE an upgrade over Garrett. There have been some WTF moments this season, but none of them have cost us just yet. It seems like we will, barring injury disaster, win the division pretty handily. I'm dreading him facing big time decisions/clock management in the playoffs though
98Ag99Grad
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He's for SURE an upgrade over Garrett. There have been some WTF moments this season, but none of them have cost us just yet. It seems like we will, barring injury disaster, win the division pretty handily. I'm dreading him facing big time decisions/clock management in the playoffs though
Agree with this.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I also don't fault him for leaving time on the clock before the tying kick. It was 4th and so short that I felt like it was not an immediate no brainer kick. There was a decision to be made vs immediately boxing yourself into a kick decision by letting it run. NE wasn't going to do anything whether it was 0 seconds or 20 seconds

Came here to say this. It also wasn't immediately apparent (to the coaches) if Lamb got the first or how close he was. We didn't have 5-10 seconds to let the ref spot it, look at the chains, etc. Had to call the time-out right away.

For any of us thinking we would have done it differently, it's easy for us to say watching it on TV with that yellow first down line and the clock in the corner showing us exactly what the situation is as soon as the play is over. Coaches don't have that luxury.
STX Ag
AG
jteagle said:

I saw several people criticize the fact that he went for 4th and 1 early in the game in his own end of the field and then later when the game was on the line he chose not to go for it on 4th down.

Of course one of the biggest and most vocal critics that I saw was Rex Ryan who was a terrible head coach and is pretty much jealous of anyone that still has a job in the NFL

And Ryan Clark. Who has never been a coach to my knowledge.
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Jason Garrett was an embarrassment at the head coaching position. Probably 90% of the kids / adults who play madden football could manage a game better than that goofball.
Ag Natural
AG
jteagle said:

I honestly didn't have a problem with either decision. Early in the game he was aggressive, thats the analytics talking and its also establishing a tone.

Late in the game you have the benefit of learning throughout the game. We saw this team struggle with short yardage all game long. Analytics dont account for the other team just whipping you in the middle.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That tone establishment is an equal opportunity for the defense. Without having moved the chains once, you are also facing a defense with fresh legs and hopped up on opening drive adrenaline. We see it all the time where defenses are amped to kill the first few runs, but then soften up. I also think it's a "know your opponent" situation. Again, nuances to pay attention to.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kazee with a DUI. Seemed like he was drinking during the game
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Kazee with a DUI. Seemed like he was drinking during the game
I think I remember him making a hit early in the game, and then holding his forearm and leaving the field.
Maybe medicating
Kellso
ramblin_ag02 said:

I have a hard time arguing with a decision to try and get the lead late in the 4th quarter with a FG. You make those 2 yards and still need a FG to win. You don't make it and it's pretty much game over.
This right here.

Its a no/win situation for McCarthy.

The Cowboys got stuffed on 3rd and 4th and short all game long. If they got stopped and failed to take the points then everyone would be roasting him for passing up the field goal.

I would have said go for it if the Cowboys OL and Zeke were dominating the LOS all game long, but we all know that's not what was happening.

Zuerline missed the kick because a guy at the end of the line did a very poor job of blocking the edge rusher, and caused him to alter his kick making it go wide.
jr15aggie
AG
Stole this from one of the Cowboy talk shows... Kearse has been a huge upgrade for this defense. I had forgotten how many TEs we had going up and down the field on us in recent years. He's apparently a big reason why this isn't a consistent problem anymore.

On top of that, the guy just keeps showing up every week making nice plays.
Kellso
Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

Im assuming you mean the end of the game at NE kicking before running the clock down. Not exactly an aggregious error. Watching the game live I thought it was 3rd down. I assume Mccarthy did too. Im pretty sure the TV showed it was 2nd down before the play. As for the SD FG, Mccarthy said his view of the time clock went blank right at that moment. That sound like BS until you watch the next week the exact thing happened at the LA stadium.

I went to the Cowboys-Chargers game at SOFI Stadium.
The scoreboard clock DID go blank.

I had no clue what was going on....why the Cowboys were not running another play....or how much time was left in the game.

I think they wanted to run another play, but when the clock went blank it would have been too risky with only one timeout left.

Fortunately Zuerlien hit the kick and got McCarthy off the hook.
NukeAg10
AG
Kellso said:

Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

gigem1223 said:

Ag Natural said:

I went to the Cowboys-Chargers game at SOFI Stadium.
The scoreboard clock DID go blank.

I had no clue what was going on....why the Cowboys were not running another play....or how much time was left in the game.

I think they wanted to run another play, but when the clock went blank it would have been too risky with only one timeout left.

Fortunately Zuerlien hit the kick and got McCarthy off the hook.

I was there too, and it was bizarre.
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't realize we had the #1 offense in the league. I knew they were top 3, but #1???!!! And not just #1... we are almost 30 yards better than 2nd place and we are also #1 in points scored.

Credit to the defense for help with the points per game stat!
MookieBlaylock
AG
What is the defense ranking has to be better than 33 from last year
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

I didn't realize we had the #1 offense in the league. I knew they were top 3, but #1???!!! And not just #1... we are almost 30 yards better than 2nd place and we are also #1 in points scored.

Credit to the defense for help with the points per game stat!

Yes...Now, the NFL ranks offenses based on how many total yards they gain. That is not the best metric to judge best offense, IMO.

However, as you said, they are #1 in points scored and #1 in Yards per play, which I think are the two most important offensive stats.

The Cowboys offense is good.
Macarthur
MookieBlaylock said:

What is the defense ranking has to be better than 33 from last year
Now, on the flip side, the defense is giving up one of the higher yards per play this year. They have given up way too many big plays. They have offset that by takeaways.

They are middle of the pack in points against which is okay. With how good the offense is, they can get away with middle of the pack here.

The big issue comes when they get in the playoffs and the offense might score below average and the defense needs to be better. I think they have good chance to get better due to some good players coming back, but they have got to get a handle on the big plays.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.