Womens Tennis 2023

239,088 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?

See y'all in conference play, gators!
Anchorhold
Women's ITA Indoor Teams by conference:
4 SEC - Georgia, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M
3 ACC - Virginia, Duke, UNC
3 Big 12 - t-sips, Oklahoma, Iowa State
2 Big Ten - Ohio State, Michigan
2 WCC - Pepperdine, USD
2 Pac 12 - Stanford, Washington*
Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

3 Big 12 - Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa State
2 WCC - Pepperdine, USD
This was probably already asked. How are the seeds determined?
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

3 Big 12 - Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa State
2 WCC - Pepperdine, USD
And Florida just played like a top 16 team. A lot of depth in the SEC - a good tourney showing will help our ranking all year.
Harry Dunne
I agree. I feel like I pretty much know what we are, so I'm going to go on a limb and say Florida is a top 10 team this year.

Big win, going to be an interesting rematch.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold
I can't find anything about this year, but last year's indoor championship was "The top eight teams are seeded 1-8 with the remaining eight teams assigned an opponent by random."

I also don't remember when computers fully take over the rankings with a new poll coming out on Wednesday.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Good team win! You have to think Jayci won't lose another match like that. We are fortunate that our top 3 took care of business. Ironically, Jayci is the only match I pencilled in as a for sure win. Haha. Crazy. I'm not sure what to think about lines 5-6. I guess that's something Mark will have to iron out.
Anchorhold
She won 90.6% last year at singles. Bet she won't lose again anytime soon.
Ag4eva95
I think Mia will be fine at #5. She played the #2 recruit from last year. I think I would rather see Daria at #6. After watching her in her few matches. She's got the fire power to kick some ass
Chapa96
AG
cbmik95 said:

I think Mia will be fine at #5. She played the #2 recruit from last year. I think I would rather see Daria at #6. After watching her in her few matches. She's got the fire power to kick some ass
Agreed with this.
Ag4eva95
I think it comes down to scouting. We need firepower or a serve and volley to play pushers. Jeanette can clean up against the less deep teams. Given we have 3 girls that can play #6, it comes down to scouting. It should be a guaranteed point for us, no reason we should be losing #4-6
Aggie Tennis
AG
Chapa96 said:

cbmik95 said:

Agreed with this.

Agree on Mia. She has almost an 11 UTR. Likely higher than the #5 of any school not named UNC. She will be a force at #4 or #5.
bigfoot10s
AG
Aggie MBA said:

Chapa96 said:

cbmik95 said:

Agreed with this.

Agree on Mia. She has almost an 11 UTR. Likely higher than the #5 of any school not named UNC. She will be a force at #4 or #5.

I imagine at some point she goes to 4 and Jayci plays 5.
Ag4eva95
Mia looked good in the Florida match. The rallies were very long. She reminds me of a more refined version of Tati at this point of her career.
Quail
Ok, I am at work and sure I missed it somewhere.
Who are the 15 teams that made it? I know host team gets a bid.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Quail said:

Ok, I am at work and sure I missed it somewhere.
Who are the 15 teams that made it? I know host team gets a bid.
Quail
Thanks and WOW!! Might be a couple surprises but will be very interesting!
Quail
Georgia plays NC and Ohio State before ITA
Anchorhold
hOlY MaCaROni PiCtUre!!! Ohio State's non-conference schedule is like the complete opposite of our last year schedule: (Jan. 25 ITA rankings)
17 Oklahoma
NR Old Dominion
22 Tennessee
14 Oklahoma State
7 Georgia
INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
19 Arizona State
3 NC State
4 Fightin' Texas Aggies
18 UCLA
9 PEPPERDINE
NR KENTUCKY

RodgerDodger
Other than Michigan, their conference is very weak so I'm sure that is the reasoning for that tough of a schedule. The weaker the conference, the stronger the schedule and vice versa. I know that both of our programs are having a hard time scheduling home matches because of our lack of proper indoor facilities. Just look at what happened for the ita kickoff this past weekend.
bigfoot10s
AG
Women move up to #3 in the rankings!

JPN06
RodgerDodger said:

Other than Michigan, their conference is very weak so I'm sure that is the reasoning for that tough of a schedule. The weaker the conference, the stronger the schedule and vice versa. I know that both of our programs are having a hard time scheduling home matches because of our lack of proper indoor facilities. Just look at what happened for the ita kickoff this past weekend.
The men are playing #3 Ohio State and #6 Texas along with USD, USF & Tulsa that finished #19, 44 and 45 last year.

aggiedrjdub
AG
A&M #3
Georgia #5
Vanderbilt #9
Auburn #14
Florida #18
Tennessee #22

Wow. The SEC will be a grind!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Mary recognized as player of the week. She is so good.

JPN06
She's SO good. Great athlete, great competitor and seems like a great person. Some of the stuff she does out there just can't be taught.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Innate. Can't teach it; you either have it or your don't.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Do we have any concerns with our upcoming match-up with Rice?
bigtimeag1977
Only concern would be have we been able to practice with the rain and freezing temperatures
JPN06
They played Sunday and Monday and would have had Tuesday off regardless. They would be practicing at Rice today. They should have gone to Houston yesterday and practiced indoors at the Met downtown or wherever Rice practices. Rice played Baylor close and it looks like they are pretty good, but I'm not worried about missing one day of practice.
Signem
Rice has some good players, no doubt. It will not be a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, this match is in conjunction with the owls men's team playing LSU at the same time, so the ladies will be on the "other" side making it a bit harder to stay abreast of what's going on AT the courts (there's no main score board where you can see the score at all 6 courts at one time). However, going by the numbers: Doubles will be challenging but like any other school south the Mason Dixon line the sips "may" be the only team that can steal that point from us. Mary and Carson are just SO good together, and Mia and Giana make for an exceptional #3 doubles. Jayci and Salma appear to be still gelling but they can take care of business too. So A&M 1 Rice 0.
Singles: Mary is going to be a tough out for anybody, and the gal who played #1 for Rice against Baylor doesn't appear to be in the same class as Mary. Advantage A&M.
Carson, if she comes in at 100%, and her serve/volley game is on, and she gets on a roll, and she doesn't talk herself out of any points by dwelling too much about minor mistakes on previous plays, and the girl she's most likely going to play against barely has a winning average at #2. This gal took the Baylor #2 to 3 sets and won a squeaker so Carson can't get too wrapped around the axle. Honestly, #2 is a toss up.
Salma at 3, if she plays the same Rice player at 3 against Baylor it shouldn't be a contest. Salma wins.
Let's say Jayci plays 4 and the same girl who played Baylor at 4 plays that line again. Jayci definitely has a stronger overall game than the Rice girl. She just can't have another game like she had against Florida, but that is highly unlikely that she would. I think Jayci may be tight for awhile, but pulls away for the win.
Mia appears to be getting her feet on the ground pretty good, and if she's down at 4 or 5 I think she's going to give her opponent some lessons in tennis.
Daria, Jeanette, or Giana all move better than the #6 player for Rice and if they can get the girl to moving around the court consistently that poor girl will be having her tongue hang out by the end of the match. That girl does have a vicious serve though.

Dare I say it, we might skunk the owls, but no matter if we do or not. IF the doubles point falls in our court, there's no way I can see us losing 4 singles matches against these ladies.
taylorswift13
AG
Thanks for the preview! Awesome to read and appreciate your insight!
aggiedrjdub
AG
The Carson we saw vs Florida is the Carson we need to see the rest of the season.

Jayci will come out hot in doubles and singles.

Gig'em!!
Harry Dunne
Outstanding preview.

I hope you are right, but I think you might be underestimating the Owls though. I do expect to win, but Rice is an NCAA 2 or 3 seed playing at home. I bet they'll get on the scoreboard if they play this one out.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Do they only have one court streaming? Annoying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.