Womens Tennis 2023

239,234 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Damn that ace MIa finished on.... SO GOOD MIA!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggies finish 5-2. Another dub. We will have to be a lot sharper on Sunday! Gig'em!!
DevinHester_GoBears1
Aggie Tennis
AG
DevinHester_GoBears1 said:

Carson is most likely done for the season and supposedly it's nothing physical. That's all I was told by a player in the stands today.

Yikes. Thanks for sharing. She played doubles just 5 days ago.

Hopefully this isn't accurate. Great chance for a national title for her and the team. She reads this site occasionally so maybe she will clarify.
taylorswift13
taylorswift13
AG
Hard to trust the guy that's been ragging on her all season
aggiedrjdub
AG
That will be a devastating blow to our chances for a national championship. Wishing her the best if that's the case, though. It would be nice to get some clarification from our coach about this.
HersheyMonroe
taylorswift13 said:

He did tell us in August that Salma was coming
DevinHester_GoBears1
taylorswift13 said:

You the guy that said we'd out-rebound Penn State by 20 and you weren't worried about the game at all?

Take off the maroon tinted sunglasses and read the writing on the wall. No news is definitely not good news in these cases.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Didn't someone just say that in this weeks press conference coach weaver said it's nothing serious and he expects her back soon?
Gap
AG
I've got no news except Carson was there tonight watching doubles and out on the court in the team circle with Coach Weaver between singles and doubles.
Gap
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

aggiedrjdub said:

YaBoyBP said:

Weaver is talking with media today, will ask about Carson. Any other topics come to mind, let me know!
Are there any updates you could provide for us?
  • Carson and Mia battling nagging injuries but didn't sound like anything that would keep them out for extended periods.
  • Three great doubles teams, but need to be more focused and execute better. If we win the doubles - hard for another team to win four singles. Especially outdoors.
  • Mark is very confident with the team. Chip on our shoulder from last year. We have the team and experience to win it all. SEC and NCAAs.

The above was from March 8.
taylorswift13
AG
Lol you got me there, but you still seem like a miserable person
ReginaPhalangeMD
"Team" wins are about the "depth" on the team. No one player makes or breaks the chances for the NCAA championships. There is A LOT of depth on the Team this year. Lines 1 and 2 are the hardest to win bc most colleges usually have only 2 top players. Just look at this from a different perspective. There's no reason why this team at the "current level of depth" can't go all the way!
Think about this, when saying there is little to no chance of winning the title "wout just one player" is kinda an insult to all the other players…putting those thoughts in their head doesn't help….the depth puts the points on the board! Let's put our positive focus into what they have!! and not what they don't have
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm a bit more realistic than that. I think our chances are greatly diminished, but of course they aren't zero. When you can push players like Salma, Mia, Jayci, and Daria to lines 3, 4, 5, and 6 then your overall chances of winning at the highest level are magnified of course. Not only that, you move a 2 line doubles team to line 1 and lose the strength of the number 3/4 doubles team in the nation (Mary and Carson). Depth is important and will keep us competitive, but our chances of winning a national championship do decline without Carson. That's just a reality.
aggiedrjdub
AG
And, based on your other posts, it seems you may have a bit more insight into the team and what is going on behind the scenes than some of us do. Are you a parent of a current player?
Harry Dunne
ReginaPhalangeMD said:

"Team" wins are about the "depth" on the team. No one player makes or breaks the chances for the NCAA championships. There is A LOT of depth on the Team this year. Lines 1 and 2 are the hardest to win bc most colleges usually have only 2 top players. Just look at this from a different perspective. There's no reason why this team at the "current level of depth" can't go all the way!
Think about this, when saying there is little to no chance of winning the title "wout just one player" is kinda an insult to all the other players…putting those thoughts in their head doesn't help….the depth puts the points on the board! Let's put our positive focus into what they have!! and not what they don't have
That's the best position for the coaches and players to take, but unfortunately it's not very realistic.

Nothing personal against the bottom of the lineup (we probably have the best 7 and 8 in the country), but you can say this about any potential championship team: If it loses one of its top 2 players for the rest of the season in mid-March, it has zero chance at a national championship. This is no different for us than it is for North Carolina or the 2013 or 2022 Aggies or any other title hopeful that ever was.
ReginaPhalangeMD
Neither, I learned how college tennis team dynamics on the inside really work bc my partner, a former D1 player, is still a big fan and follower of top m/w teams.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Oh okay. You just seemed to have some inside knowledge about injuries when the team was in Florida based on your responses. Either way, I was just curious.
Signem
As it should be, we'll find out about Carson when Mark makes the announcement. But the outlook is not good. If you believe in prayer, NOW would be an excellent time to keep Carson in your prayers. I have said it here a number of times this year, barring INJURIES, our chances of going all the way are exceptional. But even if we get bad news about Carson; G, Jeanette, Daria, and for that matter Lizanne can all make a strong case for the lower lines in the lineup. IMHO G played an outstanding match Friday but even she got treated during her last set for I'm guessing cramps or a charlie horse of some kind. The weekend of the 31st OUGHT to pretty much decide who comes out on top in the SEC. It would be wonderful to take Miami tomorrow, make for a nice feather in our cap. But all I want to do is win the match of the season no matter how we get there.
aggiedrjdub
AG
What does this mean? Of course we will keep Carson in our prayers, but this is concerning and confusing. One poster said Carson is potentially out for the season but it's not injury related. This makes me think it could be injury related.

Prayers for Carson. Prayers for the team.
Ag4eva95
I wish someone would say something! What is happening. How does this go from "missing a few matches" to worst case scenario??? I hope Carson is ok and will pray for her.
SNB_813
AG
I hate to think it's something mental, but I really think it is…
B$Weigem
AG
Carson was not dressed out and did not warm up with the team on Friday.
Anchorhold

Much needed silly distraction for the thread:

MIAMI, MY AGGIES

THE MIA BATTLE:
Aggie Mia Kupres: Freshman. 12-1 singles this spring.
Miami's Mia Mack (International) - aka MIA M.I.: Freshman. 8-1 singles play this spring
Facing each other in singles is unlikely. Doubles is highly likely.

THE LONG, LONG AGO:
January 25, 2000 Ags win 4-2
#1 Doubles Goldsmith, Jayci / Makarova, Tatiana defeated Daevenia Achong / E. Perez-Somarriba 6-2
#2 Singles Jayci Goldsmith defeated Daevenia Achong on Court 2: 6-4, 2-6, 6-1

Achong is expected to play #1 singles and doubles. I expect Tati to stare her down and remind her what happened last time.

#5 Single Quiterio, Lucia [TAMC] defeated Maya Tahan [UM] 6-4, 5-7, 6-3

Tahan is expected to play #6 singles today.

This is the same Miami team that recently beat NC State 4-3, but also lost to Syracuse 5-2 (they won the doubles point but lost five singles). Syracuse is no slouch, but anything can happen on three and then six courts on any day. They are brave enough to step out if the ACC shadows but have been on spring break all week* and have not faced this weather* like we have twice. Their mascot is a force of nature, well how do you like this outdoor Texas Norther?

*probably

BTHOmiami!
Harry Dunne
B$Weigem said:

Carson was not dressed out and did not warm up with the team on Friday.
Ouch. Then today is going to be a real test. Hopefully the cold will help us. This is about the coldest allowable weather for an outdoor match and hopefully Miami is more affected by it than we are.

On a positive note, I like seeing Pielet in the lineup. I was worried she was going to transfer if she didn't get to play all year. She can definitely be a top 6 player for a championship team.

Harry Dunne
I wouldn't put too much stock into the Miami @ Syracuse loss. That's one of those weird places to play where when they are decent they are going to get some good home wins because it's hard to travel there.

Miami and FSU both had the bad luck to get Syracuse in NY to open up the ACC season. It was like 10 degrees with 25 mph winds and so not only are you playing indoors, but even just going from the hotel to the team bus is shocking in those conditions for a team that has been practicing outdoors in sunny and 82 since January. Syracuse got smoked 6-1 by #46 Clemson on Friday and its the same thing in inverse. They probably haven't seen sunny and 60 since October.
RodgerDodger
Everyone needs to remember that Carson did not play one college match during her time at USC and did not play one college match during her time at Virginia. It is remarkable that Coach had gotten as much out of her as he has. That speaks a lot to Mark in terms of how he manages his players and our team. I don't know what all is going on behind the scenes, but there is a very obvious history behind her not playing matches.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm pretty sure those were all physical injury related. Who knows, though? It's disappointing to lose such a quality player on the court; but, coach Weaver will ultimately lead the team the best way he can through this. Prayers that Carson comes out of this stronger than ever (I honestly have no idea what it is). Let's put our full support behind the team members that are on the court and pray they will mesh into a national championship winning team. We've got a solid team and anything can happen. We have to keep everyone healthy moving forward.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Based on the warmup - it's looks like the Aggies will be using the same doubles line up as they did on Friday.

Line 1: Goldsmith/Ewing
Line 2: Stoina/Kupres
Line 3: Mireles/Pielet

Gig'em!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Damn. Miami's doubles teams are good!
Anchorhold
This was out?

aggiedrjdub
AG
Saw that. Crazy.
aggiedrjdub
AG
We're gonna need some seriously incredible tennis to claw our way out of these doubles matches. Miami is taking it to us on all courts.
Gap
AG
1-0 Miami after doubles.

That is the worst we have looked in doubles all year. We were headed to lose at all three positions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.