Womens Tennis 2023

240,267 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Ag4eva95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been saying this for a year, I completely agree! Denton, Henry, coach G all fall under this category. I also grew up with one of the blue chippers coming in and will be my first year owning season tickets. But I can tell you that he came for A&M, not necessarily Denton. Denton has had some of the best season in A&M men's tennis history as well as top recruiting classes. But….. this is almost a replica of the Gary Blair situation. Losing a lot, had some big misses in the transfer portal, small recruiting class. I actually fear we might not make the NCAA tournament next year
Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold

Jayci / Salma (ITA rank 22) take on South Carolina's #1 Hamner / Akli (ITA rank 33).
-Jayci (and Mary) beat this pair 6-2 back in September.
-Hamner / Akli are 16-5 since a bad 1-4 start in the fall.
-The won their only match in the SEC Tournament against Kentucky.
-They lost their only match in the NCAA Dual Match Playoffs against ODU.
aggiedrjdub
AG
@mike - you seem confident about the team for next year. I'm a bit guarded. I think losing Carson, Jayci, and Salma is going to leave a huge void. We basically only have one doubles team returning with Mary and Mia, who will more than likely play line 1. Line 3 this year was unreliable at best. Help me feel better about next years potential results.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Quail
aggiedrjdub said:

@mike - you seem confident about the team for next year. I'm a bit guarded. I think losing Carson, Jayci, and Salma is going to leave a huge void. We basically only have one doubles team returning with Mary and Mia, who will more than likely play line 1. Line 3 this year was unreliable at best. Help me feel better about next years potential results.
I am guarded as well, we have to bring in a three really good singles and doubles players just to try and replace the experience in Carson, Jayci, and Salma. Then we still have 5 and 6 and #3 doubles.
It is possible but going to be hard.
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

aggiedrjdub said:

I am guarded as well, we have to bring in a three really good singles and doubles players just to try and replace the experience in Carson, Jayci, and Salma. Then we still have 5 and 6 and #3 doubles.
It is possible but going to be hard.

It's going to be tough to take out UNC. It's going to be them again and then everyone else. But we shall see with the Peru recruit and Russian if she makes it on campus. If Daria can work on a few things during the Summer, like her serving, she can be dangerous at 4-6. Who knows, maybe we can get another Salma type transfer with her experience.
Anchorhold
Chapa96 said:

Who knows, maybe we can get another Salma type transfer with her experience.
How many more former #1 recruits can we get from usc? That's two years in a row already.
Ag4eva95
It's hard to project where freshmen end up, but think they will be at #3 and #5 and hope we find a true #2 transfer. There are tons of top transfers in the market. We currently have room for 1, which I totally expect us to take.

The two freshmen I think could beat our Mia for her spot in the lineup. The Peru girl is a top 6 junior in the world, which would just be barely off of what Carson was. The Russian girl is set to break the top 400 in the world come a few more solid tournament showings. Watched her film, she's legit. Question is, how do they adjust to college(if they both make it?) I project the Peru girl to make it as she doesn't play many pro tournaments. The Russian worries me, which is why I could see us taking two transfers.

Ideal lineup:
1. Mary
2. Transfer
3. Russian
4. Mia
5. Peruvian
6. Daria

Like I said, just a projection. Weaver hasn't disappointed and I have full confidence in his reloading! I might be over eager right now, but I think these two girls could be two of the top 5 freshmen next year. I'm sure my expectations will change as we get more news of next years roster, but for now based on what I've been told, it's a roster that has potential to be just as competitive
Aggie Tennis
AG
Really tough first set loss for Salma and Jayci. Had control and had set points. Need to rebound early in the second. All-American up for grabs.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
What are the Peru and Russian players names? Was going to look at their UTR.
Anchorhold
That'll put an end to play for this season. Salma, Jayci, and Carson and the whole team: Thanks y'all and Gig'em!

taylorswift13
AG
Jayci Goldsmith, simply put, Aggie Tennis royalty! Her consistency and production over the last 5 years has been nothing short of phenomenal and she has represented this university well!

Salma has been here for 5 months, but her impact has felt like 5 years! She is an Aggie now and forever! Thanks ladies!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Thx for the memories to the dynamic trio. Was hoping we could bring a natty home but they have forever changed our program for the better.

I'm still worried @mike. We desperately need some senior leadership and as good as the freshmen coming in might be, I don't think we can rely on winning deep in the tournament with freshmen and sophomores. I'm more concerned about doubles than anything else. We have serious holes in the doubles line ups for sure.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Ag4eva95
Who is @mike, is that me?

I whole heartedly agree and feel the same way! I'm just saying, I think the talent coming in could be better than the talent leaving. No denying the leadership and how they developed. Not saying it will be immediate. Based off of results and observing other top freshmen in similar standing, I think it could be immediate. Bringing in the grad transfer from Air Force will absolutely provide a whole different level of leadership, from a different perspective these girls haven't seen. Next year could have growing pains(like TU this year). But by the end of the year, I think we will be fine. Who they bring in as a transfer or two will be the biggest difference maker
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yes lol sorry lmao. I just simplified it hahaha
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Thx for the memories to the dynamic trio. Was hoping we could bring a natty home but they have forever changed our program for the better.

I'm still worried @mike. We desperately need some senior leadership and as good as the freshmen coming in might be, I don't think we can rely on winning deep in the tournament with freshmen and sophomores. I'm more concerned about doubles than anything else. We have serious holes in the doubles line ups for sure.
It can be done. If I recall, tu won their 1st natty with nothing but Freshman in their lineup. They maybe have had 1 Senior. who played around 4 or 5. Helps to have a Peyton type player guaranteeing you 2 points.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Well let's go then!
Aggie Tennis
AG
cbmik95 said:

Who is @mike, is that me?

I whole heartedly agree and feel the same way! I'm just saying, I think the talent coming in could be better than the talent leaving. No denying the leadership and how they developed. Not saying it will be immediate. Based off of results and observing other top freshmen in similar standing, I think it could be immediate. Bringing in the grad transfer from Air Force will absolutely provide a whole different level of leadership, from a different perspective these girls haven't seen. Next year could have growing pains(like TU this year). But by the end of the year, I think we will be fine. Who they bring in as a transfer or two will be the biggest difference maker

I looked up the Airforce team and don't see anyone that will get close to our top 6. Is the thought depth and practice player to provide leadership?
Aggie Tennis
AG
Carson and Salma having such good experiences will help us with transfers. I think we need at least one really high end player. Basically a number one, on a weaker team, that wants to win championships.
Aggie Tennis
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Jayci Goldsmith, simply put, Aggie Tennis royalty! Her consistency and production over the last 5 years has been nothing short of phenomenal and she has represented this university well!

Salma has been here for 5 months, but her impact has felt like 5 years! She is an Aggie now and forever! Thanks ladies!

Not the ending we wanted, but like you said - A&M royalty. It's been a joy to follow and nobody will take away their back to back SEC championships. Have we done that in any other sport? I can't think of one.
Ag4eva95
She was Air Forces #1 who will be a walk on for us, actually think there is potential for her to play 6 or #3 dubs. She had a pretty solid career there, although the competition isn't the best. I think her leadership comes from her military experiences
Aggie Tennis
AG
Just reviewed the singles draw and it's unfortunate that Mary lost first round. She is better than every player left in the draw. UNC's Crawley was upset by NC State's #3 Rajecki.
Ag4eva95
I don't think it's fair they moved matches indoor. It's not like Mary got to practice at all, unlike her counterpart. It wasn't fair and evens all advantages Mary would of had
taylorswift13
AG
They left this program better than they found it! What Aggie Tennis and what it will become will be in large part to these ladies the last handful of years! This is an established program and when people think Aggie Tennis they will think of a championship caliber talented team! Aggie Tennis has arrived due in large part to Coach Weaver, Coach Szabo, and all the girls! We will be in the conversation every May for a long while! Let's keep Coach Weaver for as long as we can and hopefully till he hangs up the clipboard!
Quail
Aggie Tennis said:

Just reviewed the singles draw and it's unfortunate that Mary lost first round. She is better than every player left in the draw. UNC's Crawley was upset by NC State's #3 Rajecki.
I agree with this!!! It is really unfair for players like Fiona, played all those matches to win team title. Then, has to turn around and play more singles and doubles one right after the other. More players are like this but really hard on the girls that play for the NC in team.
Was looking today on the men's side, the top players will play a singles, doubles, and then due to weather play another (I think) doubles after that!
Really hard tournament to win a team and especially singles tournament.
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

Aggie Tennis said:

I agree with this!!! It is really unfair for players like Fiona, played all those matches to win team title. Then, has to turn around and play more singles and doubles one right after the other. More players are like this but really hard on the girls that play for the NC in team.
Was looking today on the men's side, the top players will play a singles, doubles, and then due to weather play another (I think) doubles after that!
Really hard tournament to win a team and especially singles tournament.

Agreed!! In 2024 this goes away. Singles and doubles tourney will be held in the Fall.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I just cannot shake the fact that Mary dropped that match. 6-1, 4-2 up, and then just collapsed. It happens; I get that, but after the year she had I didn't expect it. She SHOULD be playing in the semis right now. I'm not sure how we could have better prepared for the NCAAs than what coach Weaver and staff did, but we faded much more quickly than I think any of us expected after a drubbing from Stanford. I'm excited about next year, and hope we keep this thread alive because the team deserves it.
ReginaPhalangeMD
Wonder if anyone else noticed the peculiarities of the losses in the top 10 and even most of the top 20 (except for a few) ranked players in the R64 thru R16. Even Reese Brantmier lost in first round. And then Fioana and so on… Didn't thoroughly research, but my guess is most of the top 20 competitors played through their conference championship and then the NCCAA Team championship, then starting singles matches. I may guess IMO it could be mostly "mental" fatigue ….where the body follows the mind to execute. Don't know for sure, but most of the players that advanced were lower utrs and probs played L3 there about. Looks kinda like a "Pattern" in that most of the top 20 and all of the top 10 didn't go the distance we may have anticipated. Maybe why NCAA is moving the singles/doubles to the late fall prior to spring season dual match play. I mean I thought Mary and Reese would meet and have a fighting match up I'm guilty of counting the chickens before they hatched. Lol. Interesting outcomes. It happens. In tennis :P
Anchorhold
I have noticed that in singles. I'm trying not to pay too much attention and count top 10 chickens in another category.
Ag4eva95
UT #1, Nicole Khirin has entered the transfer portal. Ags started to follow her on Instagram. Typically that's a sign we're very high on her…..

Also, **** Texas
Chapa96
AG
cbmik95 said:

UT #1, Nicole Khirin has entered the transfer portal. Ags started to follow her on Instagram. Typically that's a sign we're very high on her…..

Also, **** Texas
Wow...she is just a Freshman too....well now a Sophomore. This could get interesting.....
Chapa96
AG
Chapa96 said:

cbmik95 said:

Also, **** Texas
Wow...she is just a Freshman too....well now a Sophomore. This could get interesting.....
Also, **** Texas!
Ag4eva95
This would honestly be the ideal transfer! 3 years to play. The one I thought we had a chance with from LSU just committed to Okie Lite.

It's early, but keep an eye on her. The guys at the nattys are saying she has offers from all top programs
aggiedrjdub
AG
cbmik95 said:

Also, **** Texas

Woah. What?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Does she have ties to anyone on the team?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.