Womens Tennis 2023

240,231 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Signem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK so it looks a little shady what UNC is doing. Let them play their games. We have a great draw and now all the girls have to do is make it work like they have all year. This is the most rest away from competition the girls have had since January. It would have been nice to have Carson in the lineup, but oh well. This is our year. Come on ladies, DO YOUR THANG!!!
bigfoot10s
AG
Not sure these have been posted - SEC Champ Shirts!

https://www.12thmanshop.com/en/blue-84-maroon-texas-a-and-m-aggies-2023-sec-womens-tennis-regular-season-champions-t-shirt/p-242266677920114472+z-91-2641030084
Anchorhold
ordered - thank you
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Not sure these have been posted - SEC Champ Shirts!

https://www.12thmanshop.com/en/blue-84-maroon-texas-a-and-m-aggies-2023-sec-womens-tennis-regular-season-champions-t-shirt/p-242266677920114472+z-91-2641030084

Finally! I'm ordering right now!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Chapa96 said:

tu #8

I don't see them hanging with UNC this year.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiesherpa said:

That UNC stack is straight stupid. If they get away with it, then the fix is it. Based on the latest ITA rankings:

Fiona Crawley: rank #1, record 38-2, points 69.9

Reese Brantmeier: rank #8, record 19-2, points 42.43.

I think they will be able to do this.

It's also possible that Brantmeier is playing better tennis right now. Reminder that she beat Mary and she also just beat the NCST #2 easily. Crawley barely squeaked by the NCST #2 a few weeks ago and then got destroyed vs. the #1.

I take it as a sign that they aren't fully confident which is good news for us.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Idk. It is what it is but that's a stretch. She's the overwhelming #1 and it would have been different if they played with that lineup throughout the year. I mean why don't we just move Mary to 4, Salma to 5 and Mia to 6 and we will win the natty lol.
RED AG 98
AG
And near as I can tell she's been #1 the entire season, after winning both the AA and Fall Championship titles. Looks like she has played line 2 three times this year though. Two of those were quite recent (conspiracy deepens )

1/21/23 Wisconsin (#59 Sholokhova) Won in 3
3/31/23 FSU (#108 Allen) Won in 3
4/1/23 Miami (#118 Achong) Won in 2 (breadstick, bagel)

So she was 3-0 at line 2 and 20-2 on line 1. The losses were to Ma (UGA) and Schnaider (NCST)... she also beat Ma once so they split on the year.

Anchorhold
This will be the third consecutive year north carolina is the number one overall seed without winning a title.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Stanford and Tennessee will be an interesting match up if they advance. Those east coast teams didn't play as many matches as we did for some reason. Tbh. Glad to see Miami in NCState's half. Their #1 is a weapon and they dogged us in doubles. Not that I don't think we would beat them, but it would be a tough match up for sure.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Idk. It is what it is but that's a stretch. She's the overwhelming #1 and it would have been different if they played with that lineup throughout the year. I mean why don't we just move Mary to 4, Salma to 5 and Mia to 6 and we will win the natty lol.

I understand what everyone is saying but you stack to create an advantage. What advantage is UNC getting by moving Crawley to #2 if she always wins at #1?

You could say it is because they think they will lose to the NC State #1 either way and want to ensure #2, but the match results don't support that. I think Brantmeier is just playing better down the stretch. Remember that she is a true Freshmen and #1 recruit.

If Mary had moved to #1 or #2 for the NCAAs last year, I think we'd be champions. Go look at that OU match. She dominated singles and doubles. Carson lost badly at #1 and Tati was upset at #2. Mary wins either of those matches.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I understand what you are saying; however, the reality is that Georgia beat them at lines 1 and 2 when they played. It's not that they flipped 1 and 2. The issue I have is they also flipped 3 and 4.
aggiedrjdub
AG
LB12Diamond
AG
Help me out here.

Why all this talk of player positions? Do these have to be the same and known up front for the entire tournament?
Anchorhold
Yes
Anchorhold
Mary and Salma are selected to play in the singles championship with Mia as the fifth alternate. Mary is the 2nd seed and as soon as she steps on that court officially becomes an all-american.

Mary / Carson and Jayci / Salma are selected to play in the doubles championship with Mary / Mia as the sixth alternate. Mary / Carson are listed as the 2nd seed and just have to stay top ten in the final rankings to solidify all-american.

Quote:

Texas A&M alternate team (Kupres/Stoiana) can be entered as an alternate team only if Carson Branstine withdraws from doubles and the other alternates ahead of them have been invited.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/tennis-women/article/2023-05-02/2023-ncaa-division-i-womens-tennis-championship-singles-and-doubles-selections
aggiedrjdub
AG
It's crazy to me that they have the Aggie doubles pairs playing each other in the first round. Talk about BS. SMH.
Anchorhold
That's not the real draw. Thats just a graphic in alphabetical order by team name. The singles graphic is in alphabetical order by last name.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

That's not the real draw. Thats just a graphic in alphabetical order by team name. The singles graphic is in alphabetical order by last name.

Ohhhhhhhhhh lol that makes more sense
aggiedrjdub
AG
Question about the lineups, especially with regards to doubles. I see we have 4 teams listed. If an injury occurs to one player on one of the lines can they fill in with anyone on the roster or does entire doubles paid have to be switched out for the paid listed as line 4?
Anchorhold
Bracket challenge for the fun of it:

http://collegetennisranks.com/rankings/bracketchallenge/d1w
caleblyn
In my opinion, I feel that doubles is 50% skill and 50% chemistry. Therefore, a lesser ranked doubles team that has been playing together for a long time will be better than two highly ranked players just simply being paired together.
Harry Dunne
aggiedrjdub said:

Question about the lineups, especially with regards to doubles. I see we have 4 teams listed. If an injury occurs to one player on one of the lines can they fill in with anyone on the roster or does entire doubles paid have to be switched out for the paid listed as line 4?

"Direct line substitution in doubles: If one player is removed from a doubles team, the new player substituted in must be listed on the lineup sheet exchanged prior to the start of the match, either in the singles or doubles portion. The lineup must remain in order of ability."
Signem
IMHO, I think you are much more right than accurate. But the bottom line is by this time of the season, the rankings have so much data to draw from, the rankings have become uncannily accurate. So if a #2 doubles team is taken down by a #30 pair it has the same kind of earth shattering effect as if I beat Nadal.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Assuming we move past Quinnipiac, who do you guys think we would face in the next round between SMU and BAYLOR?
Anchorhold
I could enjoy seeing either of them cry, but it will probably be baylor.
aggiedrjdub
AG

Interesting decision. Crawley is allowed to stay at line 2 but they were made to flip their 3 and 4 back to how they played the majority of the season. IMO - bad look for UNC. You have one of the most elite rosters in women's tennis. There's no need to stack. If you can't win with your lineup, that's on you.
Quail
Any chance we have to go indoors and play Baylor in Waco??
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

Wouldn't that be fitting!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Quail said:

Yep! Could be a wet weekend!
Signem
Another question about scheduling, let's hope that the numbers work as they indicate and we advance to the round of 16. What determines what day, Friday or Saturday that that match occurs?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold
Conspiracy Theory why we win today #2,023: Multiple Quinnipiac players still have crushes on Aggie transfer pitcher Brandyn Garcia and the trains keep reminding them to get this match over with so they can rush over to the bullpen.
Anchorhold
Wow. That will make five new head coaches in the SEC next year.
RodgerDodger
Best job in college tennis is open. Interesting to see who they go after.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.