Womens Tennis 2023

234,341 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiesherpa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know Mell was overruled on match point, I wonder if that was the 3rd overrule?
aggiedrjdub
AG
3 is a point penalty. Did she win the point and then when the match on the 3rd overrule?
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
bigfoot10s
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

3 is a point penalty. Did she win the point and then when the match on the 3rd overrule?

Yes, point made it 6-1, point penalty made it 7-1
Ag4eva95
Got to watch in person today, wow! Mia battled. Mel Reasco couldn't make an error to save her life. Mia was on a whole different level today. Definitely one of the best college tennis matches I've witnessed in decades. Took a team effort. UGA is going to be tough to take down twice in SEC tournament. This team is full of bad ass warriors!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Here is Salma's match point.

https://instagram.com/stories/aggiewten/3072285027242075241?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Ag4eva95
Fairly sure if the rest of the season goes as needed:

Mary Stoiana: SEC Player of the Year
Mia Kupres: SEC Freshmen of the Year
Mark Weaver: Coach of the Year
YaBoyBP
aggiedrjdub said:

COACH'S QUOTES
Head coach Mark Weaver on today's matchup…
"That was one of the best college tennis matches I have ever been a part of, and I've been doing this for a really long time. It was high-quality tennis from both teams, and I thought the sportsmanship was great today. It was really high stakes, and I was really proud of all the hard work they put in, and it certainly showed it's worth out there today."

PLAYER'S QUOTES
Mia Kupres on clinching today's matchup…
"It was such an amazing feeling I can't even describe it. I was so tense because of how important the match was, and everything through the match being down, up and then almost having it and letting it go, then finally, being able to clinch it for the team was so great."

Salma Ewing on claiming the final match…
"This was really huge for me, and I couldn't do it without my team, coaches and the fans, as everyone was supporting me. I just wanted to do if for them, and so I just kept fighting for every point and no matter how hard it got I just kept pushing myself."

In video/audio form!
bigtimeag1977
27 SEC wins in a row has to be a record for any sport. That is hard to fathom!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Is the Aggie Women's Tennis program the LivvyDunne of Aggie athletics?
aggiesherpa
AG
Thanks for the clarification Bigfoot. I had a brain fart while watching that tie breaks only went to 6. That makes more sense and makes Mark's post match interview comments about sportsmanship interesting. Were there any other issues during the match?
RodgerDodger
There were three overrules in Salma's match as well. I am assuming that Mark was referring to his team having good sportsmanship and not the bulldogs. Perhaps was taken out of context. Guess he has to be careful with taking shots at an opposing team as well.
aggiesherpa
AG
Thanks for that context, I wasn't aware of the overrules in Salma's match. I get that nobody is perfect and overrules happen, Mary was overruled in what would have been match point, but to have 2 players on the team get to three overrules....that seems greater than the norm.
Harry Dunne
Didn't get to see or follow the match at all today but man was I happy to see the outcome! Very happy to see Salma step up and get it done. If she can keep playing like that at 2 then I think we will get our rematch with UNC, hopefully on a very hot day outdoors in Orlando
mullokmotx
AG
In Jeanette's the Georgia player said the ball was out and was over-ruled, and even her coach said the ball was in. A serve by Jayci hit the top of the net and landed in right at the line dividing the serve landing areas and the Georgia player called it out and the chair said it was out. Mark thought it was in as well as most everyone else watching the match. Jayci questioned her opponent by saying "Seriously?". Jayci won the point anyway.
This is our 3rd match in recent years that ended on an over-rule penalty. In the NCAA first round against Rice in 2018, last year at Tennessee, and today
mullokag
YaBoyBP
Aggie Tennis said:

For someone there, did one of the players get banged up during the celebration?

It looked that may have happened on video but hopefully just fell down.

Just now going through all these posts, haha. Mia just had some cramping at the end of the tiebreak, she's fine tho! Good to go.
Harry Dunne
bigtimeag1977 said:

27 SEC wins in a row has to be a record for any sport. That is hard to fathom!
That's amazing. I want to know if it's a record!!! Sounds like the SID needs to do some research.
YaBoyBP
Definitely would take some digging.. On top of the regular season conference matches I counted the SEC Tournament, Vandy Sweet 16, Florida non-con (ITA Kickoff)
Anchorhold
Plenty of time to figure it out. Four more to add even before the SEC tournament. (knock on wood)
Ag4eva95
The SEC isn't as strong as it used to be, I could be wrong. Florida definitely had some very strong teams, but the SEC used to regularly have 4-5 top 10 teams. Would be interesting!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think the SEC very well does have 4 top 10 teams this year. Florida should be. Tennessee is. Auburn is top 12-15 for sure even if the rankings don't show if currently.
Ag4eva95
I mean, Vanderbilt, Florida, Alabama all used to be top 3 teams in the country. LSU was even a top 15 team consistently for a bit. While Tennessee and Auburn have somewhat compensated for their drop off, it's not as top heavy as it once was. I'm not saying the league isn't great, because todays match was full of all Americans!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah. You are correct.

I didn't realize how highly ranked Georgia's singles players were. They also seemed to have stacked their doubles as their line 3 doubles team is ranked higher than their line 1 doubles team. In no scenario did I have us winning lines 1-4 and dropping lines 5 and 6 today. My questions for lines 5-6 would be, how hobbled was Daria to drop in straight sets and what happened on line 6 to be so dominant in the first set and then just collapse? (Hey, this is tennis. I get that it happens but it was unfortunate). Last question would be, why is line 3 doubles so inconsistent? I desperately want them to play up to their potential or you have to wonder if there are other options?

Anyway. This team is really so fun to watch and you can tell they really love each other on and off the court. That matters!
Ag4eva95
Some of the TAMU players were saying Jeanette doesn't like doubles and was able to get out of it. I think her and Daria would be an interesting pair(think you also stated that earlier this season). Gmoney missed a lot of big points today and the pairing seemed off from the start. The girls kept saying Daria was lacking focus today. The girl she was playing was a 5th year senior former all American. No joke, but Daria had opps in singles to make it more competitive.

Georgia has only won one doubles point all SEC season. I Don't think the necessarily stacked, because you can't do that according to NCAA(we all know how flexible they are these days with rules though). I just don't think they have strong doubles.
Anchorhold
aggiedrjdub said:

What did Mia mean when she said "that's 3" at the end of the match?

It comes from an old canadian saying that means "SEC Champs". Or she was just confirming which inning of the baseball game it was.
Signem
For the record, Salma played a match of the ages. Something that no one has pointed out here, her match was literally a tale of 3 sets. First set both girls held serve until Salma broke to go up 5-4, Dasha breaks right back but then Salma wins the next two games to win 7-5. Second set both girls were breaking each other's serve until 4-4 when Salma finally held to go up again 5-4 but then Dasha gets hot and wins 3 games in a row. I "think" something happened to Salma in those last 3 games of the second set that came back to bite her hard in the third set where she was severely hobbled by cramps after running down a drop shot by Dasha. By this time Salma was down 5-4 and serving. When I say hobbled I mean she was walking around the court like Frankenstein. She couldn't bend her right leg, it was like in a cast. I have NEVER in my life (not hyperbole) seen such a courageous effort than what she did from that point forward. The strength and courage she found within herself to fight and I mean FIGHT through what she had to be feeling was borderline supernatural. She somehow HOLDS her serve with these severe cramps (5-5), gets worked on by Sho (our Athletic trainer) who must do the Karate Kid kinda thing but she falls behind 6-5, holds serve again (remember she can't rotate her body as normally as she would be able to because of the cramps) score is 6-6. Falls behind 4-1 in the tiebreak and ends up winning the tiebreak 7-5. To see her wince and grimace in pain when it first hit her, and suffering from the same problem periodically myself I literally can't imagine how she did what she did.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Signem said:

For the record, Salma played a match of the ages. Something that no one has pointed out here, her match was literally a tale of 3 sets. First set both girls held serve until Salma broke to go up 5-4, Dasha breaks right back but then Salma wins the next two games to win 7-5. Second set both girls were breaking each other's serve until 4-4 when Salma finally held to go up again 5-4 but then Dasha gets hot and wins 3 games in a row. I "think" something happened to Salma in those last 3 games of the second set that came back to bite her hard in the third set where she was severely hobbled by cramps after running down a drop shot by Dasha. By this time Salma was down 5-4 and serving. When I say hobbled I mean she was walking around the court like Frankenstein. She couldn't bend her right leg, it was like in a cast. I have NEVER in my life (not hyperbole) seen such a courageous effort than what she did from that point forward. The strength and courage she found within herself to fight and I mean FIGHT through what she had to be feeling was borderline supernatural. She somehow HOLDS her serve with these severe cramps (5-5), gets worked on by Sho (our Athletic trainer) who must do the Karate Kid kinda thing but she falls behind 6-5, holds serve again (remember she can't rotate her body as normally as she would be able to because of the cramps) score is 6-6. Falls behind 4-1 in the tiebreak and ends up winning the tiebreak 7-5. To see her wince and grimace in pain when it first hit her, and suffering from the same problem periodically myself I literally can't imagine how she did what she did.
Thanks for sharing the details. Even more epic than I realized to go with the other legendary performances yesterday. It will also give Salma so much confidence for the remainder of the season.

If I knew coming in that we would lose at 5 and 6, I definitely would have been concerned on taking the match.

This is one of my all time favorite Aggie teams across any sport. Just an amazing group of players and coaches.
aggiedrjdub
AG
To make things more dramatic, I watched the match and she was up 5-3 in the second set and then proceeded to lose 6 of the next 7 games if I remember correctly. But, she was hitting the ball clean and I could tell she was feeling good about her game. Her heavy ground strokes to Dasha's backhand, and then Salma's backhand down the line just wore the #10 player in the nation down. This was a great great win for Salma. She is capable of beating anyone on any given day.
Anchorhold
That's going to be a really special scene in the movie of this season.

Speaking of, how do we know 12th man productions is getting enough film?
YaBoyBP
Couldn't agree more. Heard Mark telling one of the staff he and Salma talked about some things on Saturday and he was glad it appears to have paid off.

She was completely exhausted even just midway through the first set breathing heavily. Absolutely played her tail off!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Fiona Crawley got hammered 6-0, 6-2 by Alize Cornet in her professional debut.
Anchorhold
I guess that's why she played #2 for North Carolina on Friday & Saturday so she could take it easy. (They lost Court #1 to Miami).

Crowley's only collegiate loss this year was to UGA's Ma who Mary just beat.

Going back to the fall Mary has lost four times:
-first match of the year (it happens)
-Crowley x2
-North Carolina's brantmeier.

Something about it must be really hard to get four singles against us.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Did Ma beat Crawley? Wow. I thought she was undefeated this year.
aggiedrjdub
AG
What's amazing is, if you go back and look at the unc vs Georgia match up (which unc won 5-2) earlier in the year, the scores were very very similar to what we just posted. Crazy.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Nice point bump in the rankings for the Aggies.

https://colleges.wearecollegetennis.com/rankings?gender=F&divisionType=DIV1&matchFormat=TEAM&date=2023-04-04

Mary ranked #2. I didn't browse through all the rankings if someone else would like to do that.

Gig'em!
Ag4eva95
Mia is up to #50! She's going to **** up and become an all american!

Salma entered at #77! She has a chance to earn some more wins and earn a bid in singles.

Jayci, Gianna, and Daria all ranked 90-120

So proud of this team!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.