Womens Tennis 2023

240,234 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's really be depressing overall. I love our AD but omg…he has to do better.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
JPN06
What a depressing end to what had been such a great season.
Ag4eva95
I really do think next year is a bounce back year, lots of potential across the board. Think you'll potentially see the biggest drop off in men's golf and tennis, not much returning and losing too much. Women's tennis and golf are going to be just as good if not better, just might take some time. If this year repeats itself, Bjork has to be gone. He's probably right up there with Jimbo regarding the hot seat

Sports to potentially be rebuilding/restacking:
- womens and men's tennis
- womens and mens golf
- mens and women's track and field

Teams poised for strong seasons:
- Football
- Volleyball
- Soccer
- womens and men's basketball
- baseball and softball
JPN06
aggiedrjdub said:

It's really be depressing overall. I love our AD but omg…he has to do better.
Not really sure what you love about the AD.

I could handle him not doing squat for tennis if he was killing it elsewhere and I thought he would eventually get to it, but he's not done squat for tennis and he's pretty much whiffing on everything else.

The more we have to buy out big contracts and pony up for new coaches, the further are we are away from indoor courts.
Gap
AG
Jayci and Salma win the 1st set 6-2.
Ag4eva95
Well that's good
Ag4eva95
I think due to us quickly falling behind in NIL and having old school coaches not wanting to adopt and compete in the new day and age( Jimbo and Henry), it just further sets us back. Luckily we are bringing on coaches who recruit to the modern athletes(Taylor, Caldwell, Schloss), but the rate isn't great. Women's soccer is the next on the list of old school coaches falling behind. Have doubts on hoe high that ceiling is next season
RED AG 98
AG
Love most of the discussion here but I don't get the AD talk. He's not responsible for Jimbo's contract and his other hires have been pretty good for a most part or were at least were wildly thought to be very good at the time! And really that's the job. There's no such thing as a sure thing...

We need facilities in a bad way and I don't like that tennis has been passed over many times. Put the call out there and I feel like Ags are bound to come through. Beyond that I'm not real sure how much of the rest of this is the fault of the AD.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think he's made some good hires, but he can't seem to push us into consistent SEC titles. Idk. Seems like a good guy? Results just aren't happening as quickly or as often as I'd like.
Gap
AG
cbmik95 said:

I think due to us quickly falling behind in NIL and having old school coaches not wanting to adopt and compete in the new day and age( Jimbo and Henry), it just further sets us back. Luckily we are bringing on coaches who recruit to the modern athletes(Taylor, Caldwell, Schloss), but the rate isn't great. Women's soccer is the next on the list of old school coaches falling behind. Have doubts on hoe high that ceiling is next season
We were a massive early leader in NIL $. Football is where most of the money was spent and it was allocated poorly, spent unwisely, and became destructive to our program.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Jayci and Salma are looking strong. Almost hesitant to say that for fear of a jinx.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Is there anyway to quantify that? I keep hearing similar comments but idk if it's just banter and talk or actually true.
Gap
AG
The collectives are private, so no.

However, landing the greatest recruiting class in the HISTORY of college football is probably has some of the answer in it. The lesson is you don't massively spend on a great number of higher risk (on the field and off the field) high schoolers. There was too much immaturity in the guys we gave big money to and it burned us. Less unproven high schoolers, more proven transfers, and rewarding guys already in your program seems to be a better answer.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I do agree with this for sure.
RED AG 98
AG
Salma and Jayci are mashing the ball tonight.
RED AG 98
AG
Dub! 2 and 2. Moving on.
Ag4eva95
It was fun to watch, you can tell they were enjoying themselves! Last ride, glad they are playing loose and free.
Gap
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Dub! 2 and 2. Moving on.
Very impressive win for Jayci and Salma. On to the round of 16.
aggiedrjdub
AG
PRAISE THE LORD FOR AN AGGIE VICTORY!
Ag4eva95
I think when you look at Aggie sports as a whole for 2022-2023, you have to be concerned. As much as I would love to blame Jimbo for the problems, he's only responsible for football. Who do you blame when this is probably the worst year of Aggie athletics in a very long time? Bjork seems like the easy answer.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Defeated the #7 seed, too. Nice!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Henry has got to go. T&F has grown stagnant but still somewhat competitive. I'd be interested to know what Taylor's thoughts are on this.

Soccer is in need of a refresh as well.
JPN06
RED AG 98 said:

Love most of the discussion here but I don't get the AD talk. He's not responsible for Jimbo's contract and his other hires have been pretty good for a most part or were at least were wildly thought to be very good at the time! And really that's the job. There's no such thing as a sure thing...

We need facilities in a bad way and I don't like that tennis has been passed over many times. Put the call out there and I feel like Ags are bound to come through. Beyond that I'm not real sure how much of the rest of this is the fault of the AD.
RED AG 98
AG
Just seems a bit too convenient to me and I think the problem is much more complex.

VB was too late. SB was too late. WBB was clearly trending down. I too worry about soccer and track. But each of these are / were practically institutions here and wholesale change is HARD, especially at a place like Texas A&M that values loyalty, respect, integrity, etc sometimes to a fault.

And that's a lot of grief for the AD for stuff that barely moves the needle for the vast number of folks out there. I'm not making any excuses, but those changes were difficult and the couple that are still out there will be extremely difficult decisions, even if ultimately we come to the conclusion that it needs to be done...

He's paid really well and this is what he signed up for. But I'm not sure what we would have him do all that much differently even with the benefit of hindsight.
RED AG 98
AG
100%. The contract was done by the guy currently at LSU. Yes there was an extension on his watch here but no that was not our brand new AD that pushed that through....
JPN06
He was the AD when that extension was signed. You can't give him credit for the good stuff but then claim it was donors for the bad stuff.
RED AG 98
AG
I just choose to believe the guys here with their names on buildings and the ownership here at TA. They might be wrong though.
Ag4eva95
That's fair! And I agree. I think a year after a year like this, success was few and far between, so it's hard to sit back and watch. If this year repeats itself(obviously hope that doesn't happen because it was a brutal 22/23), then do you start pointing the finger at Bjork? Whose responsibility is it for ensuring coaches adopt NIL to the best of their ability?
Anchorhold
I stink at this
RED AG 98
AG
Now that to me is a very valid concern! Understanding how we of ALL THE MONIES compete in the NIL era is the current biggest issue, dare I say even more than facilities. Supposedly that is sorted out for baseball for this next campaign as we were not competitive there last year. No idea what that means for all the other non-football sports but we collectively better figure it out. There is zero reason or excuse for us to lag in this area. We should be setting the market.
Ag4eva95
Agreed! I think that because we've fallen behind in NIL, it's negatively affecting the TAMU brand. It's a powerful brand, but I think Jimbo was a big piece of the negativity, trickling down across the board. I'm not sure how we even catch up at this point. Joni Taylor used her one year handicap last year, and has made up for it with this years transfer class. Will be interesting what Ford does this year. Think Buzz Williams has found his niche athletes.

But Henry's failure to willingly adopt the NIL way has set that program back for years. Thankfully the transfer portal can quickly fix it(Mulkey proved this out). We aren't even mentioned in the recruiting picture for many top athletes.

I know this is the women's tennis board, so to end night in a positive manner. Weaver has created a culture and brand that is one of the best. The winning is here to stay. It's a culture of acceptance, hard work, accountability, and fight. Think next years team, if everyone makes it on campus as planned, has the potential to be what this year should have been! Proud of this team
RED AG 98
AG
Well said! Women's tennis and golf are without a doubt right up there among if not the best on campus right now.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

Jayci becomes an All-American in doubles for the third straight year.
Salma's doubles All-American season (to go with her singles All-American last year at USC).

I think this will be true tomorrow, but it only happens with a quarters appearance. One more win!
LB12Diamond
AG
cbmik95 said:

That's fair! And I agree. I think a year after a year like this, success was few and far between, so it's hard to sit back and watch. If this year repeats itself(obviously hope that doesn't happen because it was a brutal 22/23), then do you start pointing the finger at Bjork? Whose responsibility is it for ensuring coaches adopt NIL to the best of their ability?

I actually disagree last/this year was brutal. Besides football it's actually been a pretty strong year.
bigfoot10s
AG
So if we are looking at coaches and programs trending down, where does mens tennis fit in the discussion?

Even though I have someone I coach(ed), and am close with, going to A&M to play next year, the recruiting classes have been subpar. At what point is there need for a refresh on the mens side? Denton has been there a long time, O'Shea as well. I am surprised they are not more in the conversation for replacement.

Don't get me wrong, Kevin and Steve are great guys, but if you go with the what Bjork has gone, their seat should be pretty warm right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.