Womens Tennis 2023

242,761 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Georgia advances 4-1
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Anchorhold
Chapa96 said:

UGA up on OU 2-1. Ma just lost 3 & 0.

So you're saying Lea Ma.....the #3 player in the country..... got beat...... in straight sets..... and you're not talking about either of the times that Mary did it? Well good for the oklahoma player.
Anchorhold

Sophmore Super(-regional) stars
aggiedrjdub
AG
NCState advances 4-0 over Auburn
Aston04
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I always greatly disliked playing against the backboard type like UT on 5. Just slicing it back over the net on both sides waiting for you to mess up. Really danged frustrating.

Daria with 4 points here to win just one more.
I guess... I mean the Tennessee player looked completely defensive at the end- to a fault. High end D-2 players could smoke that level play- that was a great opportunity (her cramping up) and thankfully A&M took advantage of it.
RED AG 98
AG
Aston04 said:

RED AG 98 said:

I always greatly disliked playing against the backboard type like UT on 5. Just slicing it back over the net on both sides waiting for you to mess up. Really danged frustrating.

Daria with 4 points here to win just one more.
I guess... I mean the Tennessee player looked completely defensive at the end- to a fault. High end D-2 players could smoke that level play- that was a great opportunity (her cramping up) and thankfully A&M took advantage of it.
I did say "I", so there's that. Also I was mostly watching Mia at this point and only really watched the last couple of games of this match. I didn't realize the UT player had been cramping, which was discussed a few posts after this one to which you replied.
Aston04
AG
Fair enough- I was simply pointing out that an incredible break to face an opponent in a key set playing that bad of tennis for this level. I have no context how you play, it's not relevant and was not addressing it.
Anchorhold
t.u. winning against pepperdine 3-1. Pepperdine is up in two of the remaining third sets but needs to get their **** together on court six.
Anchorhold
t-sips wins (indoors) 4-3 so they'll get to take on no. 1 carolina.

At least we won't have to worry about that indoor bs next wee........ OH COME ON!!!

Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

t-sips wins (indoors) 4-3 so they'll get to take on no. 1 carolina.

At least we won't have to worry about that indoor bs next wee........ OH COME ON!!!

Annoying but they were pretty clutch today. Won the doubles points after being down 3 match points, came back at number 1 to win 7-6 in the third, and then held on 6-4 in the third at number 6.

I thought Pepperdine would win but they did just enough. However, they simply can't match up with UNC.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Re: Tennessee line 5 - I don't believe that's how she always plays, but these are well conditioned athletes and although she may have cramped, nerves play a huge factor in this as well. She was trying with all her might to prolong the overall match. Kudos to Daria for staying focused and closing her out.
Ag4eva95
To be fair, that had to be one of the most humid and hottest May tennis matches I've watched! Not sure they get to see these conditions in Tennessee. The girl usually plays defensive like that, she's really really good at the net. She dominated us in doubles at like 1. She was almost clutch for UT vs UGA in the SEC semifinals.

I would take Daria over her any day, but make no mistake about it. UT #5 looked the part of an elite athlete
Aggies76
AG
I have a question about officiating in NCAA tennis.

I know that the players make the line calls.
If a ball is clearly out but it is not called out on the court, is it the chair umpire's responsibility to call it out, or does he/she let the non-call stand?
Aston04
AG
Let's non call stand
aggiedrjdub
AG
cbmik95 said:

To be fair, that had to be one of the most humid and hottest May tennis matches I've watched! Not sure they get to see these conditions in Tennessee. The girl usually plays defensive like that, she's really really good at the net. She dominated us in doubles at like 1. She was almost clutch for UT vs UGA in the SEC semifinals.

I would take Daria over her any day, but make no mistake about it. UT #5 looked the part of an elite athlete

Oh, I absolutely do not disagree; however, she was pushing the ball and just waiting for Daria to make a mistake. Every forehand was a slice to the middle of the court, and many times it was a floating slice. I would think that her coaches saw the other matches going Tennessee's way and were coaching her to see if Daria would fold (which she did not). Make no mistake about it, Daria has she superior ground strokes on both wings, but as a freshman has lost matches to this type of player bc, well, bc it's damn hard to beat a player that just keeps the ball in play in the middle of the court. It's such mind game. Jeanette has struggled with this as well.

We really need Mia to start putting girls away, too. Tougher call at line 3 but when the opportunity to close out a match happens, you have to take it (easier said than done, I know). But she had 2 match points and just couldn't seem to slam the door. Mia fights, though, and typically doesn't go down without playing her opponent to the death.

An observation or coincidence that I've noticed. The last couple of matches that Jeanette has lost where it seemed like she was in total control…she was up 6-3, 4-3, 40-15 to go up 5-3, and then was up 40-15 in the following game, but lost both to put her down 5-4 instead of winning the second set 6-3. However, in the last few matches of this sort, coach Weaver has been on her court giving her advice at these crucial moments and Jeanette just loses focus or gets nervous. She is such a fantastic player but she's being out-smarted by some crafty players at the end of matches lately. So much potential. We just have got to have wins at lines 4-6 from this point forward or it will be extremely difficult to advance.
bigfoot10s
AG
When Jeanette has those moments, instead of playing steady, she tries to press. She doesn't stick to the plan and keep the ball in play. She tends to go for big shots at the wrong times instead of putting the ball in play, with SOME pace, smartly, and force an error.

Instead of forcing an error, Jeanette seems to be the one making the errors, and usually not on smart shots. There are "good errors", but she usually doesn't make those. She goes for too much at the wrong time with the wrong shot.
Ag4eva95
I will say this about Mia, she's a fighter! But ever since the UGA match, she doesn't seem to be hitting the ball as hard and making a lot more mental mistakes. I was talking to one of the players in the stands about it.

Both Daria and Mia had moments this spring of utter domination. Not sure if they are just mentally exhausted from the long season or losing focus. Every single match they dominate for short sprints, then crash towards the end of sets(or vice versa). Both can easily overcome being down, but both also can lose large leads just as quickly. They will need to be locked in for the entire match against Stanford if we have a chance!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I've noticed this too. Personally, I would have her hitting high heavy rally balls deep to the backhand corner (or the opponents weak side) and wait for a short ball. When Jeanette loses, she seems to lose all ability to recover. After dropping those two 40-15 games at 4-3, she lost 9 games in a row.
Anchorhold
Wednesday times are set:
Carolina vs t.u. at 4:00
Georgia vs Michigan at 4:00
NC State vs Iowa State at 6:30
TAMC vs Stanford at 6:30
bchil03
How do our girls match up against Stanford?
Harry Dunne
Stanford is easily the best "underdog" left in the draw. I'm glad there is a day off between EE & FF. I think its going to be a battle.
aggiedrjdub
AG
bchil03 said:

It's going to be a tough match. They have won 21 in a row after losing in the indoors early in the season.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

bchil03 said:

It's going to be a tough match. They have won 21 in a row after losing in the indoors early in the season.

Agree. They have to be full of confidence. Their top three are almost interchangeable. Mary has a clear edge at #1 but it will be a battle for Salma and Mia. We have a clear edge at #4 and #5 and #6 are very close.

I predict solid wins at 1, 4 and a close doubles point. Daria closes it for a 4-2 A&M win.
Quail
We cannot afford to lose doubles point from here on out. Going to be some great matches.
In my opinion, Mary will handle hers but have to have 2 and 6 come through day in and day out.
Dumb question, but is the girl from NC State playing in the nationals? Assume she is.
Anchorhold
Diana Shnaider will play in Orlando. After that she's done.
Quail
Anchorhold said:

Imagine that, right!!
Anchorhold
Anybody got the promotion code to get tickets? Chapa?

And what the **** is this part?
Quote:

In the event play moves indoors, spectators will not be allowed. For daily ticket holders, no refunds will be allowed once one match is completed outdoors. For Tournament Pass holders, no refunds will be available.
taylorswift13
AG
Anchorhold said:

well the most she'll play is 2 matches
aggiedrjdub
AG
I want to win 3 more matches more than anything! Come on girls...BTHOtrees, BTHOwolfpack, BTHOwhoeverisinthefinals!
bigfoot10s
AG
Anchorhold said:

Quote:

In the event play moves indoors, spectators will not be allowed. For daily ticket holders, no refunds will be allowed once one match is completed outdoors. For Tournament Pass holders, no refunds will be available.

There is no seating in the indoors from what I remember. It's a bare bones indoor training center.
Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

Quote:

Im not aware of promotion codes. That will suck to play indoors just like last year at Illinois but then not all matches were played indoors. We were the (un)lucky ones to play indoor. If I recall from a few years ago at the USTA Tennis Center they just waited out the rain.
aggiedrjdub
AG
The forecast looks good for outdoor tennis. I don't think the indoor courts will be needed.
Aggie Tennis
AG
It's finally here. We are scheduled for 6:30pm CT. Let's go bring home the hardware!

Cross Court Coverage
Live Stats

taylorswift13
AG
We won on Mary's birthday a few weeks ago, today we win on Jayci Goldsmith's birthday!
Anchorhold
And on Elise's birthday
And on trainer Sho Arai's birthday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.