Womens Tennis 2023

238,946 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last thing they want to give our girls is even more motivation… good luck to the 6 girls playing across us
Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

Women's Preseason Top 10
#1 ?
#2 ?
#3 NC State
#4 Georgia
#5 Oklahoma
#6 Stanford
#7 Pepperdine
#8 Duke
#9 Virginia
#10 USC

TO BE CLEAR - THEY DID NOT DISCUSS THIS IN TODAY'S NC STATE PREVIEW
WOW!

Do they really think we arent even a top 10 team? The defending SEC champs! Texas lost a lot. Did they reload that much to be a Top 2 team?

UNC will be good but seems to disappoint come NCAA's.
Ag4eva95
TBH, I see us being #2. Texas lost way too much. But you never know. I can't see Texas being a preseason top 10 team. TAMU though, preseason #2.

Luckily this is just opinion based, but if we aren't #2…. This is a **** rankings list. I don't understand how OU isn't higher. They are the only team that could deserve to be higher than us.
aggiedrjdub
AG
To be honest, they didn't love us last year either. Until we lost to OU they thought we were overrated.
Ag4eva95
That's true. The tough part is we could be a controversy again this year. Weaver does not schedule a tough non conference, which results in our girls not earning the opportunities to prove these committees wrong.
Quail
cbmik95 said:

That's true. The tough part is we could be a controversy again this year. Weaver does not schedule a tough non conference, which results in our girls not earning the opportunities to prove these committees wrong.
I think that is understatement. I am not worried about rankings at this time of year as they are usually off. With that said, it is hard to move up when the schedule is so bad.
However, I think that will work itself out after the National Indoors if we have a top 4 finish. Cannot afford a first round loss. Conference will start and should be able move up. Hopefully no injuries and the cream should rise to the top.
Ag4eva95
Been chatting with one of the cracked rackets guys that put the poll together. With Ewing, we're at #5(in their OPINION). Without her, we were at #11. Which I think is robbery. Haha.

Texas is preseason #2, but I think you see them drop matches they shouldn't. That one they said they put out of respect. I have a feeling they aren't as good as last year and not as lucky.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think that's fair tbh. Carson is so good, but she's so inconsistent. I think our fate will be determined by who is playing at 1 this season.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I think that's fair tbh. Carson is so good, but she's so inconsistent. I think our fate will be determined by who is playing at 1 this season.

I think this will be Mary and I think people will be surprised at how well she does at #1.
B$Weigem
AG
I would probably play Carson at 1. This is a team sport. The goal is to win 4 points each match.
Aggie Tennis
AG
I think Carson's great and it is a good problem to have.

Mary beat her 6-4, 6-0 in a tournament last month, took Stearns to a tight three setter and has a higher UTR that is trending up.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm torn as well. If the goal is 4 points, you might be correct. But, I think that's bc she's an inconsistent win and if she wins at line 1, great. If not, we have lines 2-5 to clean up. I think Carson is even inconsistent at lines 2 and 3. On a good day, she looks like a pro. On a day when she's not feeling herself, she tends to fold. I hope she proves me wrong, but that's just what I saw last season. And, that might be because she had been injured. As an ex-collegiate tennis player, I do admit that sometimes what you had is so hard to get back after an injury. You have to adjust your game a bit. I'd like to see her put more pressure on her opponents with solid approach shots and great net coverage. Not all the time, but that is an underrated part of her game (solid volleys, great overhead).

Let's see how this plays out! Gig'em!
aggiesherpa
AG
Carson was 11-4 in SEC play (including the tourny). That's pretty dang good.
taylorswift13
AG
Carson has been injured multiple seasons before, this was her first healthy season in a long while… with more games and her staying healthy she will be better this year! Thankfully we can debate on which superstar should play line 1 between multiple girls who could be number ones at many programs! We are loaded, it's nice to see us arguing these things…
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yes! This is fun problem to have! Haha
Signem
All these wonderful problems, and the "mysterious" Russian girl still hasn't surfaced. But can I change gears here for a second? It's not something that I relish, but these seasons are long, and the ladies go through a ton of S**T on and off the courts. What would be some thoughts about the "second" tier on the team? If someone in the top 6 goes down who's the first, second, third player to step on the court? My fear is remembering when Janelle Culberson was basically HOBBLING around the court at Michigan because that's all she could do, and she almost won! Or Dorothy at Alabama a couple of years ago when she crashed into the fence making a return and see her gut it out the rest of the SEC tournament and the NCAAs. Does anybody have any analysis on players like Lizanne, or Avery? Kayal has shown strength and endurance, she just lacks the power to make that much of an impact from my perspective. At the beginning of the season, there's going to be half the team that are just hitting partners, any idea on what would happen if most our reserves decide that the transfer portal becomes a viable alternative? Like G, or Jeanette, or Daria? I know it's way too early to get too deep into this subject but Salma, and Jayci are on their last go, there's 33% of the potential starting lineup that walks out the door, not to mention Carson maybe.
Ag4eva95
Interesting! From my perspective, Kayla and Elise won't ever be more than hitting partners and get a few matches in the spring against the PVA&Ms of the world. I don't know enough about Lizanne, but given results and rankings, she would be in a similar category. This team is deep. We will have 2 girls sitting the bench that would play on almost every other teams top 6. Very rare when you get to sit blue chippers
Bobby_Klienecke?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Someone give us your singles and doubles line ups.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'd also like to point out that Carson is probably one of the most talented and naturally gifted players I've seen in quite some time. Does she have that desire to be the absolute best like Mary has? Maybe she just shows it differently. The pressure of collegiate tennis is way more intense (imo) than the professional ranks. Your entire team, fans, and university are depending on you. Stressful to say the least.
taylorswift13
AG
Singles
1. Mary
2. Carson
3. Salma
4. Jayci
5. Mia
6. Jeanette

7. Gianna
8. Daria

Doubles
1. Carson/Mary
2. Salma/Jayci
3. Mia/Jeanette

Not sure how we lose a doubles point all year! Although I have zero clue on what the pairings may be!
Ag4eva95
1. Mary
2. Carson
3. Salma
4. Jayci
5. Mia
6. Gianna

1. Jayci/Salma
2. Carson/Mary
3. Jeanette/Gianna

I think with Salma having the top level doubles experience, I can see that being invaluable with Jayci if they mesh. Carson's inconsistency keeps her at 2 in singles and doubles, possibly further drop if mental game doesn't develop
taylorswift13
AG
Was curious how a Carson/Salma pairing would work! Salma does know Carson the best and they were teammates before! But Carson and Mary were on fire together at the end of last season! What also intrigues me is a Carson/Mia pairing to showcase to all the Canadian recruits how good they can be here lol and given that Mia is strong in doubles! That would put Mary with maybe Jeanette or Gianna to strengthen that line and have a duo of the super seniors Jayci and Salma… IDK HOW MARK WEAVER CAN DO DECIDE THIS LMAO
Aggie Tennis
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Singles
1. Mary
2. Carson
3. Salma
4. Jayci
5. Mia
6. Jeanette

7. Gianna
8. Daria

Doubles
1. Carson/Mary
2. Salma/Jayci
3. Mia/Jeanette

Not sure how we lose a doubles point all year! Although I have zero clue on what the pairings may be!

Close to mine in singles but I'd switch Mia and Jayci as well as Daria and Gianna.
Gap
AG
I'll put my money on this being our 1-2 punch:

1. Carson
2. Mary

What a great problem to have. But the most important thing is to be a team and not worry which of our "1's" plays at 1 this year. Carson is a senior. Mary has two more years to be our 1 after this year. That's why I'm going with Carson between the two great options.
Quail
Gap said:

I'll put my money on this being our 1-2 punch:

1. Carson
2. Mary

What a great problem to have. But the most important thing is to be a team and not worry which of our "1's" plays at 1 this year. Carson is a senior. Mary has two more years to be our 1 after this year. That's why I'm going with Carson between the two great options.
Agree with this but what do I know! It worked really well last year. T won almost all her matches at 2.
Carson did well at 1 so think he will keep it the same. My guess is Carson's record will be the same at 1 or 2. Mary should be like T at 2.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree. I think Mary bumps up to 2, but Carson stays at 1. I think Jayci and Salma are also interchangeable at 3/4.
YaBoyBP
Co-sign - although Mary had a good fall, I don't see Weaver taking Carson off #1 (at least initially). As has been pointed out, she was still pretty solid there despite some inconsistencies.

If it were me, I'd like the idea of Mary playing against #2s and getting a near-guaranteed win there every time the way Makarova was able to do.
Ag4eva95
I understand where everyone is coming from, but look at the fall results. Carson did not have a good fall season. That doesn't mean the spring will be rough, but the results are slightly concerning.
bigfoot10s
AG
My lineup:

1. Mary
2. Salma
3. Carson
4. Mia
5. Jayci
6. Daria

7. Gianna
8. Jeannette

Doubles
1. Mary/Carson
2. Jayci/Mia
3. Salma/Daria
Ag4eva95
Now this, I'm a fan of! Good prediction here, this is completely doable
aggiesherpa
AG
After the season Jayci had last year at four, the thought of her playing 5 is kind of crazy.
Ag4eva95
It is crazy, but Mia is that good. If her pro results translate to college, she's already beating top 50 players in the ITA. Jayci didn't really have those results, but very close. I think they could be interchangeable 4&5
bigfoot10s
AG
Yeah it is. If Jayci continues to play more patiently and not trying to knock the cover off the ball like years past, but is consistent like last year, I love the idea of her playing 5. She won't lose many matches at all there.

With Mary playing the way she is, and Salma coming in, we need Carson to swallow pride and play the 3 spot. If she can do that similar to what Tati did last year, she won't lose many matches either. Just go out and dominate.
Anchorhold
How much / often does the lineup change during a normal season?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.