Womens Tennis 2023

238,339 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the midst of all of this, did anyone see Mary is now ranked #3 in the nation in singles and she and Carson were ranked #3 in the nation in doubles? WTFG Mary!! This girl is nothing but hustle and determination and talent. GATA Mary! Gig'em!!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

In the midst of all of this, did anyone see Mary is now ranked #3 in the nation in singles and she and Carson were ranked #3 in the nation in doubles? WTFG Mary!! This girl is nothing but hustle and determination and talent. GATA Mary! Gig'em!!

It's so impressive. Many don't realize that Mary and Carson are undefeated this year together in doubles. I wonder if / when they will get removed for not playing together.

I believe Mary has only lost once. The tight match against UNC.
Signem
Aggieherpa you win the prize. Anna "Luby" Lubinsky holds the record as the winningest player ever to play women's tennis at A&M. She holds that record by 1 win over Nicki Mecham who BTW was the FIRST player to ever win 100 matches. Nicki did that against LSU in her "super" senior year in the "Barn" (Bryan indoor courts) one wet and rainy Saturday then tried to run away when Bobby pointed that fact out to the crowd there. Luby is also the ONLY player to go from line 6 (freshman year) to line 1 (sophomore through senior year) and hold that position for the rest of her tenure. Back in the day, Bobby was great about handing out rewards and Luby is also the ONLY player to win the Heart award twice, it was considered sortof the Heisman award for the team. The "plan" is for Luby and Nicki and maybe Marisa Druss (don't know her married name) are planning to make the Tennessee match.

By the looks of what we have to watch now, Anna will most likely be moved down to second if Mary keeps on the tear she has created. Anna's win total was 109, on Mary's current pace she could catch this by the end of her junior year.
aggiedrjdub
AG

Y'all go support this girl if you can. Gig'em Carson!
aggiesherpa
AG
I believe Anna blagadorova (sp?) reached 100 wins as well. Not sure where to find the stats
Anchorhold
WE LOVE YOU CARSON!

Nine undefeated wins with Mary. I think ITA takes the top ten wins but unless that's a disqualifier seems like a decent chance Carson / Mary do get all-american honors. That would make her only the thrid player in team history to do both singles and doubles.
taylorswift13
AG
All this record talk only for Mary to break it soon followed by Mia breaking it again
bigtimeag1977
One thing to keep in mind is that teams do not play as many matches now as they did back then due to the ncaa limiting the total amount of matches that can be played in a season.
Anchorhold
So that's why Tatiana's profile reads:
MAKAROVA IN THE RECORD BOOK
TOTAL CAREER DOUBLES WINS No. 2 (111 victories)
TOTAL CAREER SINGLES WINS No. 3 (105 victories)
aggiesherpa
AG
Where is this record book you speak of? I tried looking at 12thman.com but couldn't quickly find anything.
Anchorhold
Not the whole thing. Just her page from last year's roster.

https://12thman.com/sports/womens-tennis/roster/tatiana-makarova/10425
JPN06
bigtimeag1977 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that teams do not play as many matches now as they did back then due to the ncaa limiting the total amount of matches that can be played in a season.
Do you know when they started limiting the amount of matches? Im asking because it looks last year the team played the most matches it had ever played.
JPN06
I was told that Carson and Mary will stay in the rankings and will finish the year ranked pretty high based just on what they have done so far.
Signem
Anna B just missed the century mark at 98 career wins. She was the baseliner from H*LL and would run down almost anything. Bobby would quip that she ran like a deer. I had the pleasure to run into her on a cross country rail trip across Canada, met she and her husband and they now have a future Aggie class of '40.
Harry Dunne
To be an all-American in doubles you have to either:

• Top-8 seed in the NCAA doubles
  • Reach the NCAA doubles quarterfinals, or
  • Finish in the top 10 in the final doubles rankings

I have always thought it would be awesome if someone found themselves in Mary's current situation and managed to become an all-American in the same year with two different partners.
Signem
Back in the day, Stadium club members could get Media guidebooks that had everything about everything related to the players including their dog's third cousin's name basically. When the cost got so high that stopped but media guides still exist. That's where you can find it. I just still have Anna's senior year guidebook and I know that no one (yet) has passed her. CSQ would have had she played all 4 years here, and Morgan Frank hit a bad slump to keep her out of the hierarchy.
Harry Dunne
I miss the old media guides. I love the records section. Occasionally some schools & teams still put out pdf versions.
Anchorhold
Carson's cousin hit the Dodgers's only RBI against the Giants today. No idea about her dog's cousin.
Harry Dunne
Bobby gets trolled a lot here, but he is a good man that did things the right way. I like that you remember and mention some of his high points.

He suffers by comparison because Howard and Mark's results have been so good, but your talk of media guides got me looking at some of my old ones and Bobby had the team in the NCAA tournament and in or around the top 25 every year for just about his entire career and that's not easy to do (look around campus at the other teams if you have any doubts).
Anchorhold
Not much happening today except #3 Michigan playing at #19 Florida. Hoping the gators can pull the huge upset.

also, this is a hell of a job by the Florda Athletic Department. Eighteen pages of "Match Notes"
https://floridagators.com/documents/2023/3/21/Michigan_Notes.pdf
taylorswift13
AG
At least that one poster ran out of emails to make fun of him
bigfoot10s
AG
taylorswift13 said:

I would be the farm he shows up again....
bigfoot10s
AG
The media guides were amazing! I knew anything and everything about both teams from reading those. Always enjoyed getting one from Bobby or Steve Miller back in his SID days
taylorswift13
AG
I knew right when I typed it I'm probably jinxing it
Harry Dunne
bigfoot10s said:

taylorswift13 said:

100% agree.

Let's hear some guesses on what Bobby could've possibly done to generate that sort of sustained hate. My guess has always been that it's someone he kicked out of summer camp!
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bigfoot10s said:

taylorswift13 said:

100% agree.

Let's hear some guesses on what Bobby could've possibly done to generate that sort of sustained hate. My guess has always been that it's someone he kicked out of summer camp!
We have definitely had a few kicked out over the years!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Although we remained #2 in the polls, it looks as if our point average dropped over 4 points. Ironically, so did North Carolina's; however, they are far and away leading the pack about 24 points ahead of us. We are only 1.6 and 1.7 points ahead of 3rd (Michigan), and 4th (Georgia).

In remembering last year, I realized, too, that Georgia lost their #1 singles player for much of the season after we played them, which obviously hurt their chances in the post season.

Question to the analysts - is North Carolina just that much better in terms of rankings and team makeup? If you look at their singles rankings, they have 5 players in the top 25. Insane. Their singles players are ranked, 1, 14, 15, 18, 25, 68, and 80. This is crazy to me.
Anchorhold
Hard to argue that they arn't in their own class. They are not only undefeated, they've played the toughest schedule that I have seen. They had four singles all-americans last year and returned three of them. Scotty was all-american in singles last year and has been playing courts 4 & 5 mostly lately.
Anchorhold
Florida wins 4-1 (so far). That should help our rankings a tiny bit.
Signem
I don't know if I rate as one of the "analysts" but for my 2 cents, no, they aren't THAT much better than the rest of the pack. Because any team is beatable. We still have a hard row to tow over the next 2 weeks for sure, but if you snooze in this conference you'll have your A** handed to you. So there's no rest for the weary. I'm not too sure if our bottom 3 have ever been our strong suit, not since I've been watching. But from here on out that's where our points WE NEED will predominantly come from IMHO most likely. Mary will be solid (provided she stays healthy), Salma will get her footing this weekend I'll bet, Mia is our Ace of Spades in the hole, Jayci is going to do what Jayci does - dominate #4 like Nicki Mecham did. It's #5 and 6 where I have my question marks. And that's because we have SO many possibilities. This is where Mark will earn his paycheck I believe. And if we get back in the W side in our doubles watch out world!!

All this talk about on the court, please take a minute are reflect on this fact; these athletes are maintaining a #2 ranking nationally all while making the grades in the classroom that is one of the stronger academic colleges in the country. Mary is in the Mays business school, Carson is a philosophy (NOT psychology) major, Salma, and Jayci are doing graduate studies, my God I was so glad to get my Bachelors I couldn't walk off that stage fast enough. And then you have Daria, Mia, Lizanne, and Avery all incoming freshman (Mia started in January) just acclimating to the college environment.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

Florida wins 4-1 (so far). That should help our rankings a tiny bit.
Very nice win over #3 Michigan. Florida certainly seemed a lot better than #19 when we played them (twice) but they also lost to Kentucky this past weekend. Talented but inconsistent.
Harry Dunne
UNC is the prohibitive favorite.

AND after playing them so close at the indoors, my feeling was that if we stayed healthy we would be able to beat them on a hot day in May in Orlando. Now it will be more difficult.

BUT there is a reason why they have won the indoors a million times in a row and yet have never won the NCAAs (and only reached the finals once). Part of that is that hot outdoor tennis doesn't suit indoor teams and by now part of that has to be psychological. All that to say assuming they hold their ranking through the end of the regular season, it would be excellent to be the 2 or 3 seed and not have to play them until the finals and give them several chances to choke against someone else.
aggiedrjdub
AG
BTHObama!!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Off to a slow start in doubles. Sigh.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Like 1, 5-6; serving to stay in the set; come on Salma and Jayci!
Line 2, 6-2 Aggies win
Line 3, 3-6 bama (this is beginning to play like a broken record)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.