Womens Tennis 2023

238,152 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Aggie Tennis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In other news - this ISU team is scrappy.

NCSU and UNC look beatable today. Don't be surprised if Stanford keeps their run going.
Ag4eva95
Hearing the Russian were bringing in is deciding on going pro! A Diana Schniader 2.0. Also hearing we're evaluating two very very strong transfers.

All that to say, Weaver has built a culture that is here to stay! Thank you ladies for an amazing season, it was fun to be apart of! You've set the tone for the young Aggies and future Aggies
bigfoot10s
AG
Dark_Knight said:

Wow...talk about choking away another chance for a title.

Stanford was probably the hottest team in the country. Quit acting like we were in the finals and lost. At this point, everyone is good.
bigfoot10s
AG
taylorswift13 said:

This isn't Aggie tennis

Sometimes it isn't your day and the other team plays better. It happens. Learn from it and get better.
aggiesherpa
AG
Has she already decided to go pro or she is just thinking about going pro?
sharpdressedman
Wow. This is a terrible surprise. Stuff happens.

Thanks, ladies, for an excellent season and a SEC championship!
Ag4eva95
Contemplating it. If she goes pro, I can see us taking two transfers. If she comes to the best place on earth, then just one. Below would be the 8 players on scholarship.

Mary
Mia
Daria
Jeanette
Gianna
Peru
Russian
Transfer
aggiesherpa
AG
Thanks for the info!
mullokmotx
AG
The play that epitomized how things went was in Jayci's third set. The Stanford player had approached the net and Jayci hit a lob shot over her. The Stanford player turned and with her back to the net struck her racquet up and hit a shot that landed just inside the sideline. When Stanford won doubles they had all the momentum and enthusiasm.
mullokag
SA68AG
AG
Dark_Knight said:

As someone who has followed Women's college tennis for a while (daughter played for a top 5 program and was head coach at a D-1 school in the northeast), let me give my perspective.

When they lost Carson Branstine, they lost any realistic chance to win it all. With Barnstine they would have had a legitimate shot to win it. They would not have been a lock but they would have had a top 2 or 3 type team.

Without Barnstine they were a top 5-8 team not a #2 seed.

Stanford should have been seeded much higher. They have not lost a match in the outdoor season and have a strong lineup top to bottom.

Rather than seeing the Lady Aggies as chokers , I see them as a team that overachieved after losing Barnstine. Coach Weaver really deserves a lot of credit for leading them to the season they had.
Quail
SA68AG said:

Dark_Knight said:

As someone who has followed Women's college tennis for a while (daughter played for a top 5 program and was head coach at a D-1 school in the northeast), let me give my perspective.

When they lost Carson Branstine, they lost any realistic chance to win it all. With Barnstine they would have had a legitimate shot to win it. They would not have been a lock but they would have had a top 2 or 3 type team.

Stanford should have been seeded much higher. They have not lost a match in the outdoor season and have a strong lineup top to bottom.

Rather than seeing the Lady Aggies as chokers , I see them as a team that overachieved after losing Barnstine. Coach Weaver really deserves a lot of credit for leading them to the season they had.

Agree with this 100%! Stanford was one of the hottest teams coming into the tournament. We just were not clicking 1-6 and even at doubles. However, we were still one of the toughest teams and fought till the end. This was an amazing team and can hold their head up. It was not a choke job in any form.
Aggie Tennis
AG
SA68AG said:

Dark_Knight said:

Great post. Proud of our 2023 SEC championship team and excited for next year.
Anchorhold
What happened in Salma's second set that the trainer couldn't approach her?
Ag4eva95
I think she was going to be taking penalties because it was the second time they would have been out there.
Quail
Ok, I am getting off subject here but I am curious what everyone thinks.
I have not looked at everyone's roster but got to cheering for Iowa State last night.
I pulled up the roster to see how many seniors are on the team.
What caught my eye and I know it has been going on for years.
They do not have one American on their roster. That is like TCU men.
Is the US just void of top players anymore? Should there be a requirement
for 2 Americans?
I have nothing against it as I realize that is probably where the most talent is.
Just curious.

Anchorhold
Quote:

What caught my eye and I know it has been going on for years.
They do not have one American on their roster. That is like TCU men.
Is the US just void of top players anymore?
1. College tennis is predominantly non-American players. It is not uncommon to have a full roster of foreigners. We are the exception with 1.5 Canadians.
2. Americans typically spend a lot of time in youth playing multiple sports / activities before focusing on one and a lot of emphasis is placed on the teamwork part.
3. Can you imagine trying to guard Daria in a pick-up backetball game? Not really a relevant question, just something that occured to me.
Should there be a requirement for 2 Americans? No. Capitalism works.

JPN06
Great post and right on the money. That match would have ended up 6-1 Stanford if they played it out, and without Branstine it would have taken everyone's very best last night to win it (and then two more similar efforts to win a title).

JPN06
If you were an American girl, would you want to go to Iowa State where they don't even have a mens team or a playable on-campus indoor facility?
Quail
JPN06 said:

If you were an American girl, would you want to go to Iowa State where they don't even have a mens team or a playable on-campus indoor facility?
Not really under any circumstance! Not sure on your point about the playable on-campus facility though! We do have mens tennis
JPN06
I think you misunderstood my post. Iowa State does not have a mens team or a playable on-campus facility. They have 2 practice courts but they have to drive an hour often though snow and ice to a club in Des Moines to play matches.
Quail
JPN06 said:

I think you misunderstood my post. Iowa State does not have a mens team or a playable on-campus facility. They have 2 practice courts but they have to drive an hour often though snow and ice to a club in Des Moines to play matches.
Correct, I did think you meant indoor facility! Wow, not sure how they recruited these girls.
bigfoot10s
AG
Iowa State is kinda a mid major feeling program right now. How it USUALLY works is that teams recruit foreign players until they get good enough that the American players will look their direction. Depending on the coach, they end up making the flip to American players over the course of a few years. There are always exceptions to this trend, but if you look at most middle of the road schools they are this way.

That being said, Boomer is doing an amazing job at ISU. I am kinda surprised he is still there and hasn't been snatched up yet.
JPN06
Just like being great at anything when you are the underdog, you have to be willing to do the things that the others aren't doing. Looking at the roster, the majority of them are Asian. I doubt many other coaches are racing this guy to Bangkok to recruit in the summer when they could be in nicer places.
JPN06
Good post. IDK that Iowa State will ever be able to get good American players regardless of how good they get. At the end of the day it's a mediocre academic school in an ugly, cold place. Of course some underdog scrappy types will go there just like Texas Tech, but I doubt you're ever getting the usual stars from CA and FL to go to Ames, Iowa. It's not like football where guys will go anywhere they team is good. In women's tennis the athletes care a LOT about academics and location. He's the coach of the year IMO and what he had done there is a miracle.

As far as him leaving, if anyone really cared about being good at tennis he (and Jordan) would have been hired away a long time ago, but if you look at these pathetic SEC hires it's obvious that no one cares at all.
bchil03
So how are the Ladies going to be be next year? Looks like we only lose Jaycy and Salma? Carsine(?) appears to be going pro or something too? Any ideas?
Aggie Tennis
AG
bchil03 said:

So how are the Ladies going to be be next year? Looks like we only lose Jaycy and Salma? Carsine(?) appears to be going pro or something too? Any ideas?
cbmik95 shared that we are in good shape for two top recruits - one from Russia and one from Peru as well as 1 or 2 high-level transfers.

Carson should stay and play another year. I believe that's true even if I remove my A&M hat and put on my "What's best for Carson's tennis career?" hat.

Add that to our returning group and we will be very good. For us to be great - we need a strong #2 to complement Mary. The very top teams essentially have two #1s. We had that with Tati and with Carson this year before she was hurt. Salma and Mia were perfect for #3 and #4 but struggled moving up a line.

IMO, Mary will be the best player in women's college tennis next year. Singles and doubles. That is a rare luxury and how Texas made their titles happen with Stearns. Let's take advantage.
bchil03
Thank you for the great response! Sounds like we've got some exciting times ahead! When will we find out if we land those high school girls, transfers and Carson staying?
Chapa96
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

bchil03 said:

cbmik95 shared that we are in good shape for two top recruits - one from Russia and one from Peru as well as 1 or 2 high-level transfers.

Carson should stay and play another year. I believe that's true even if I remove my A&M hat and put on my "What's best for Carson's tennis career?" hat.

Add that to our returning group and we will be very good. For us to be great - we need a strong #2 to complement Mary. The very top teams essentially have two #1s. He had that with Tati and with Carson this year before she was hurt. Salma and Mia were perfect for #3 and #4 but struggled moving up a line.

IMO, Mary will be the best player in women's college tennis next year. Singles and doubles. That is a rare luxury and how Texas made their titles happen with Stearns. Let's take advantage.

Agreed! Stearns at tu was a guaranteed 2 points! Is Fiona at UNC going pro? Mary might have comp to be the best at S and D. But I'll put all my money on Mary. She has an all around game.
aggiedrjdub
AG
She should stay, but she is not based on what coach Weaver has stated in an interview about 2 months ago.

I think much of what has been said is true. We all knew we were climbing an uphill battle without Carson. BUT, it wasn't meant to be. I am a bit concerned about the lineup for next year. Daria is a freshman and won some great matches this year, but with the exception of line 4 (Jayci), we struggled down the stretch at lines 3, 5, and 6. Mia did not replicate Mary's first season, but that doesn't mean she won't be successful. HOWEVER, I cannot see her playing line 2 right now. We have some huge holes to fill. I'm not sure what happens to line 6 (Jeanette and/or Gianna). The reality is that if Carson had remained in the lineup, neither Jeanette nor Gianna would have played much in singles. Line 3 doubles was a huge problem for us all season (after losing Carson). Jeanette may not have played at all, and Gianna's confidence in doubles must be at an all time low.

This should have been our year after last years unexpected loss to OU (IMO). With Carson in the lineup we were an absolute powerhouse.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the newcomers and the potential transfers. As of now, I'm not confident in how strong we will be with who we will have left. Good? Yes. Great? TBD.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Ag4eva95
Completely agree with this assessment.

Without transfers, we are a very young team. If we're going to take a step forward, need some leadership for next season. With Jayci leaving, there is a huge void. Heard were brining in a grad transfer walk on from Air Force, played #1 for them.

Next year is a big question mark. Daria has a lot to work on and develop, but has the athleticism. Mia is very one dimensional , needs to learn from Mary. Jeanette and Gianna probably won't ever crack the top 4 of the line up. But I do know all the girls love this coaching staff and program. Gianna has found her forever team, which could be tough to do. The Aggie spirit runs deep. Elise told me that the girls they are bringing in are extremely high character, just like the ones leaving. I have confidence in our reloading next season
aggiesherpa
AG
Interesting enough, the Air Force women's tennis team has some Texas ties. One is from the San Antonio area, and says her HS coach was Phil Hendrie. He was the long time coach at New Braunfels. But she was the #1 recruit in Texas coming out of high school.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Both NC schools looking good early.

Shnaider dominate. Stanford trying to make it a match in the lower lines but it will be hard to come back.
Chapa96
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

Both NC schools looking good early.

Shnaider dominate. Stanford trying to make it a match in the lower lines but it will be hard to come back.

In 2 matches Snaider has won 0&0 and 1&0.

Happened twice today. A tear on the court.

Line 1 singles with the UK vs UVA match was moved to another court where the match was finished.

Line 2 womens UNC vs GA court was delayed until it was repaired. Lines 2 and down shifted courts. Line 6 was delayed and moved to court 2 once repaired.

Anchorhold
I thought Georgia would put up more of a fight than they did.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Best two teams are in the finals.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.