Womens Tennis 2023

238,148 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Playing them out
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Daria loses at line 5.
aggiedrjdub
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
Salma loses at line 2. 4-2 Ags
aggiedrjdub
AG
We are going to need Carson healthy if we want to have any shot at a natty.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Mia played some incredible tennis and closed her opponent out in 2. Aggies win 5-2. Gig'em!
Harry Dunne
aggiedrjdub said:

We are going to need Carson healthy if we want to have any shot at a natty.
True.

Zero chance without her.
mullokmotx
AG
The No. 1 Arkansas doubles team seemed disappointed that they did not finish since they had match point coming up. Ewing had to have the trainer work on one of her legs around the ankle during her first set. I thought she resigned in the 3rd set but isn't there a tie-breaker when the team match has gone final? Kupres was down I think 3-0 in the first set so that was a good comeback to win.
mullokag
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yes I watched the line 1 doubles match and the Arkansas 1s were definitely upset not to get a chance to finish. However, it was deuce and a deciding point and it could have also gone 5-5. Salma lost the 3rd set in a super tiebreak (10-4) I believe. Daria played a great second set, and just lost focus in the 3rd. She got up 30-0 in 4-5 of the games she played in the third and and lost quite a few deuce/deciding points. I think that match just boiled down to experience. Jeanette looked fantastic at line 6. Mary just crushed a really good player 2 and 0. Jayci is back to her confident and winning ways. Mia. Damn. I just have no words. This girl is incredibly talented. She's just so mentally solid and her confidence is such a strength for her. She plays BIG girl tennis.

We really really need to get Carson and Salma healthy. We are very lucky to have such a strong singles lineup even with Carson out for now and will win most matches with her resting, but her experience up at the top just makes us so much more lethal down the line.

Love what our coach has done for this program. Love this team. Gig'em!!
aggiedrjdub
AG
BTHOmizzu
aggiedrjdub
AG
Lines 1 and 2 in a dog fight.

Line 1 down a break at 3-4 (had 2 points to go up 3-0 and have just struggled since)
Line 2 3-3
Line 3 6-1 big dub
JPN06
mattbro2014 said:

What exactly is going to happen? They will continue to not have a facility? Lol
Just spoke with a friend who is a Mizzou tennis alum and close to their program. Their coach was fired a few weeks ago. It seems that their facility situation is terrible as well and this coach pushed back to try and get them to build the team something SEC-worthy. He implied that unless they did something he was going to start sending out his resume and they just canned him right then and there. So THAT is exactly what can happen when an administration doesn't like the way a tennis program approaches a facility situation and might explain the sudden change of tone around here.

Missouri cares so much about tennis that they are fine firing their first semi-successful coach in decades and letting someone in her first ever year as an assistant coach take over for the rest of the season.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Ags take the doubles point

Line 1 was up 6-5
Line 2 6-4
Line 3 6-1

Gig'em!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I understand that but you don't get anywhere if you don't ask and press. The players are asking. If you don't address it, you lose the players. Coach Weaver hasn't addressed it at all and I admire how he's handled the situation. To me, it's unacceptable for our administration not to address the facility upgrades, and I think because of the players there has been movement which is good.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Singles lineup. Again, no Carson. No Daria.

Anchorhold

It's a race to see which three can win first
Anchorhold
G has Gig'ed 'em 6-1, 6-1

Mia takes her first set 6-4
aggiedrjdub
AG
Ags win 4-0. Playing them out.

I really wish they'd fix the camera on court 2.
Anchorhold
Jeanette wins 6-2, 6-0 just barely before Goldsmith gets it 6-1, 6-3

Aggies 4-0
JPN06
I'm happy to see Gianna playing singles and dominating!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Mary drops the second set. 6-1, 3-6 (tiebreak to decide the 3rd set and match). This match has been either winners from Mary or unforced errors by Mary. Her opponent is solid but is just keeping the ball in the court.
Mia up 6-4, 2-0
Anchorhold
aggiedrjdub said:

i really wish they'd fix the camera on court 2.

Live score says Salma won 6-1, 6-3. Stinks to have missed it all.
JPN06
aggiedrjdub said:

I understand that but you don't get anywhere if you don't ask and press. The players are asking. If you don't address it, you lose the players. Coach Weaver hasn't addressed it at all and I admire how he's handled the situation. To me, it's unacceptable for our administration not to address the facility upgrades, and I think because of the players there has been movement which is good.
The Missouri coach found himself jobless for asking and pressing. I'm not sure that's what you mean by getting anywhere.

Try to just for a second put yourself in an administrator's shoes. When our players are talking about it on social media, it looks like the coach has put them up to it. Or at least that he hasn't told them that it should be handled by him behind closed doors. That's not "telling a female to shut up". I'd be saying the same thing if it was the mens team doing this. It's about not making your boss look bad in public. I am surprised at how many people think that having "deserving a new facility" is justification for calling Bjork out.

Has there been movement? All I have seen is the reaffirming of the public facility in Bryan that was already in the works.
Aggie Tennis
AG
JPN06 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

The Missouri coach found himself jobless for asking and pressing. I'm not sure that's what you mean by getting anywhere.

Try to just for a second put yourself in an administrator's shoes. When our players are talking about it on social media, it looks like the coach has put them up to it. Or at least that he hasn't told them that it should be handled by him behind closed doors. That's not "telling a female to shut up". I'd be saying the same thing if it was the mens team doing this. It's about not making your boss look bad in public. I am surprised at how many people think that having "deserving a new facility" is justification for calling Bjork out.

Has there been movement? All I have seen is the reaffirming of the public facility in Bryan that was already in the works.

You can have coaches / leaders that simply want to stay employed and those that want to win championships.

I want the latter at A&M and believe Mark is doing everything he can behind the scenes. The public facility, if done correctly, will work out very well.
JPN06
Well said.

I have reached my daily posting limit so I'm going to reply to drjdub here. I think we agree on more than you realize. It is a fact that we need a new facility. I'm sure even Bjork agrees. What we disagree on is that thinking because that is a fact it justifies having the players make the administration look bad (my opinion) by voicing displeasure on social media.

Wootton is a good coach and I'm sure he will find work, but this is not a video game where you just click on another job and start a new story line. He only made 120,000 a year and he's got a family and kids in school and a home and is now going to have to pack up and move across the country and take a pay cut. Now that he has been labeled difficult and will probably not get a good rec from Mizzou he might find the going is tough. I applaud Weaver for wanting to do more than just keep his job. I want him to win a championship here though, not get pushed out and "find work quickly somewhere else". I think you're mistaking that feeling of my being uneasy about the approach we are taking for us being on different sides.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Exactly

Mary wins a marathon tiebreak to take the match (13-11)

Ags lead 6-0
Anchorhold
Another great match [WIN] today. See y'all on Friday.
aggiedrjdub
AG
We will never agree about this. Bringing attention to your subpar facilities shouldn't be controversial. Facts are facts. The team and players are trying to find a solution and asking for donations.

And with regards to the Mizzu coach Wooton; apparently he realized he wouldn't make progress with his team considering their facilities and he spoke out. We don't know the exact reasons he was released, but I doubt he will be unemployed for long. I applaud anyone that is leading a team and isn't just there for a paycheck.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Ags win 7-0. Bring out the brooms! Sweep.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Question to those that understand the rankings…how does it work when 2 of our 6 singles players don't play? Do the rankings formulate by how badly you beat a team, or does it not matter? For instance, is beating Missouri 7-0 factored more favorably when formulating rankings over a 5-2 win? Just curious. I mean as long as we keep winning it shouldn't matter. Also, I do know coach Weaver has mentioned that there is an unspoken rule to where you don't tank certain lines to attempt to win matches. But, will we run into teams that do that and would they consider us flipping Carson and Mary as bad sportsmanship?

Lastly, is Daria hurt also, or do we think today was just a good day to get Gianna in on singles?
RodgerDodger
Fun watching the team today. I don't think anyone is taking a shot at Bjork. The indoors is something that has been an issue for a very long time. No one is blaming Bjork. He is just the boss that is stuck with it for now. The KBTX article says the team has won 43 outdoor matches in a row. How more dominant and more deserving can a team be and all that anyone is asking for is what every other respectable athletic program has.
mullokmotx
AG
Interesting that our No. 1 doubles team did not get a result this weekend. While watching Gianna play at No. 3 doubles I was thinking we must be pretty deep if she is not playing at singles because she is so athletic. So it was good to see her play at No.6 and win quickly. In that No. 3 doubles match a Missouri player raced to the back line and returned a ball so high it was the height of the lights. It barely hit inbounds and I don't know how Gianna managed to return it.
mullokag
Signem
Individual rankings have virtually nothing to do with team rankings. Each has their own formula and neither relates back to either. From what I've been told, score doesn't (or hasn't) played that much if any role either. It basically draws from a RPI type format. The fact that we've beat Ohio State and Florida twice has certainly been the biggest feathers in our cap. Now what we want them to do is go out and beat the snot out of everybody else while we (hopefully) continue to pile up W's ourselves. I see our #2 ranking as a mixed blessing. We need a high ranking to secure a high seed later in the NCAA's, but we also have the greater ability to fall from grace if we stump our toe on any given day.

I think it's a safe bet to say that the ACC and the SEC have the two strongest conferences for women's tennis in the country. That said, at this point, North Carolina still has the "easier" row to hoe than we do. Having to still face the #5, 9, 18, 22, 47, and 48 currently ranked team. While our remaining ranked opponents fall out this way, #3, 7, 16, 17, 39, 53, 58. Granted these numbers will fluctuate considerably over the next month or so as each conference continues to eat its own. But the fact that we face 7 more ranked opponents while NC has only 6 and our top 4 are higher ranked than theirs IF NC stumps their toe along the line and we can continue our run we may go where we've never been before. Thank God we get to play Georgia and Tennessee here this year. PLEASE PEOPLE, mark your calendar for the weekend of March 31, and April 2. We the 12th Man can overpower these teams, and I have seen these players crack like eggs if we can bring pressure to bear.
Anchorhold
#4 Ohio State lost to #64 UCLA yesterday.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Oklahoma State took down tu yesteday 4-3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.