Womens Tennis 2023

247,600 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Chapa96
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Aggies get another doubles point! Third in a row!
taylorswift13
AG
Did anyone there get to see Jayci and Salma's match
Chapa96
AG
I see alot of Bagels out there. I like it!!
taylorswift13
AG
Carson is struggling
aggiedrjdub
AG
Line 1 doubles lost? I'm shocked. I guess it happens.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Gap
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Carson is struggling

She closed really strong winning in straight sets 7-6 6-3

Aggies win 7-0!
taylorswift13
AG
Glad she has the fight in her! Maybe this was a great learning tool and confidence booster! Shows her that she can fight back when down! Way to go Carson!
taylorswift13
AG
3-0
B$Weigem
AG
I watched first game live and then the rain came. I watched the remainder online. The team they lost to was not very strong and we just didn't play well.
RED AG 98
AG
I'm not sure what your problem might be but I do hope you get the help you need.
Rodney Dean
AG
Carson gets really down on herself. Felt she was missing easy shots to go down. Stayed with it and came back. The first set comeback was more impressive than the second set win.

Her at 2 with Jayci at 5 and Gianna doing doubles only shows the talent increase on a team that was already pretty good.
Anchorhold

I guess she is going to play after all.

Does anyone have a recommendation on collegiate tennis betting and odds?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Crazy. If she plays I will be shocked, but this has to be a one and done season situation, I would assume.
Anchorhold
Various notes from around the college scene over the weekend:
ITA #4 Okies went north and got swept by #17 Ohio State and #20 Michigan. #21 Vanderbilt beat Northwestern. All the scores were 5-2. We'll jump over Oklahoma in the rankings and have trips to Ohio State and Northwestern next month. Our last trip before the SEC Tournament is at Vanderbilt.
#18 Florida will be coming to town next week for the "Indoor" Regional and we will go there to start conference play at the beginning of March. As far as I can tell they have not replaced their assistant coach that left just a few weeks ago.

Update Clarification: Oklahoma lost to Ohio State 5-2 and to Michigan 5-2. Does losing twice in one weekend count as a weekend sweep or does a 7-0, 5-0, etc. mean a sweep in dual match lingo?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Swept? Are they down players or just a rough start to the season?
Ag4eva95
Looking at the results, looked like a rough start. Ivana Corley not even in the starting lineup to start the weekend. Layne Sleeth lost in straight sets twice.

Honestly, all the matches seemed fairly decided. OU just didn't take care of business.
Quail
Hate to ask a dumb question. Huge chance of rain this weekend. Where are the nearest indoor courts they can move to? This is ITA indoors!
bigfoot10s
AG
Quail said:

Hate to ask a dumb question. Huge chance of rain this weekend. Where are the nearest indoor courts they can move to? This is ITA indoors!
3 "indoor" courts in Bryan
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Quail said:

3 "indoor" courts in Bryan

And this is what our coaches will be up against when the new UNC facility is complete. I really hope we choose to invest in our tennis facilities.

Quail
Well, if we could design a facility where we could do something football in it, it would be done!! It really is a shame with that new track facility going in, that something could not have been done at that time.
Anchorhold
Maybe the problem is we are running out of space on campus with all the other new team facilities. That's why they were trying to move the facility to Bryan. I say build an indoor facility under Reed!

The real shame is that we can't even keep up with Mississippi State who has a new indoor facility. It may not be the nicest, but it is something.
nereus
AG
The old master plan had it being built on the parking lot just South of the tennis center. There is plenty of room there to build an indoor facility. We have way more space on campus than most schools.
Chapa96
AG
I was planning to go to Sat and Sunday's matches. I saw the rain. Can spectators even watch if moved to indoors?
Signem
If we use the Bryan courts the bleachers are on the side of the #1 court, as mentioned before there's 3 courts in the barn (to call it indoors is an insult to indoor courts). One year, I think it was Howard called the MET in Houston and we played at the Galleria. Great playing surface, but again, not the greatest for observing the action. The gallery there is elevated like our stadium seats at Mitchell but the far courts you basically couldn't see a thing.
aggiesherpa
AG
Speaking of barns, does the equestrian team have a covered facility and we could just remove the dirt from??

Joking aside, even by barn standards, those court aren't great. At least since the last time I saw them. I remember one time the team tried to play there, but there was still water on the courts and we had to squeegee them!
bigfoot10s
AG
nereus said:

The old master plan had it being built on the parking lot just South of the tennis center. There is plenty of room there to build an indoor facility. We have way more space on campus than most schools.

There is still room north of Mitchell Tennis Center between the stadium side and the new PE building. The discus rings are temporary.

They could even cover the back 6 intramural courts in a pinch. No lights to deal with for the barn.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Our tennis teams deserve better. If I attempted to start an online petition and tag Ross Bjork in it, do you think that would be fruitful, or just be ignored?
carl spacklers hat
It will be ignored. Denton has been pushing for new facilities for at least 10 years. He made the pitch during an Aggie Tennis Camp closing ceremony one year when I had a kid there, and that was at least 10 years ago.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Anchorhold
Ignored. I have little faith in fruitfulness of any petition and even less with our athletic department being involved. Unless there is a lot more attention paid to this team and the men's I just don't see it. MAYBE a national championship. Even better if we beat t.u. in the process.
nereus
AG
Right now it looks like it is behind all these massive football additions, another round of baseball renovations, and basketball renovations. I think tennis needs a big lead donor to chance that and get movement on the project (and I don't have the money to be that lead donor). Otherwise, my guess is it will stay on the ADs backburner until at least after those finish which will be a while.

The only good news is when we do build facilities, we seems to build really good ones. When we finally get one built I think it will be a good one, but I have no idea when that would be and it doesn't seems like it will be anytime soon unfortunately.
bigfoot10s
AG
The indoors have been planned for many, many years. Rumors have been thrown around that money has been donated directly for the tennis facility, but was moved to football and other projects instead. Sad. Not sure how it isn't a priority for a sport that does well every single year.
nereus
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

It will be ignored. Denton has been pushing for new facilities for at least 10 years. He made the pitch during an Aggie Tennis Camp closing ceremony one year when I had a kid there, and that was at least 10 years ago.
10 years ago our outdoor facility was only 15 years old and it had hosted the national championship only 4 years prior (it was still a great college tennis facility). You could even then argue for the needs for new facilities, but we also had some other really big needs from non-revenue sports. Track and Field desperately needed an outdoor stadium (couldn't even host home meets for years) and softball desperately needed a new stadium. It definitely could be argued that those were further behind in facilities than tennis at the time. Now, both of those have been completed with very nice facilities.

Tennis is MUCH further behind in facilities today and of the non-revenue sports it is the one that needs a new facility the most.
Anchorhold
New ITA Team Rankings
https://www.wearecollegetennis.com/2023/01/25/division-i-womens-collegiate-rankings-jan-25/

1 t.u. (8)
2 North Carolina (4)
3 NC State
4 Texas A&M
5 Duke
6 Georgia
7 Stanford
8 Virginia
9 Pepperdine
10 Miami (FL)
11 California
12 Ohio State
13 USC
14 Oklahoma State
15 Auburn
16 Michigan
17 Oklahoma
18 UCLA
19 Arizona State
20 Florida
21 Vanderbilt
22 Tennessee
23 UCF
24 Iowa State
25 Georgia Tech
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

Ignored. I have little faith in fruitfulness of any petition and even less with our athletic department being involved. Unless there is a lot more attention paid to this team and the men's I just don't see it. MAYBE a national championship. Even better if we beat t.u. in the process.
I get that but if we put it out on social media it might get more traction (especially if we all start sharing).
taylorswift13
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Our tennis teams deserve better. If I attempted to start an online petition and tag Ross Bjork in it, do you think that would be fruitful, or just be ignored?
I'd sign it and get my friends to sign it! Might not do much but it won't hurt and it'll show the team we have their back!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.