Womens Tennis 2023

239,069 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OTHER SEC MATCHES LAST WEEK:
18-Feb-23 Alabama beat Tulane 5 - 2
17-Feb-23 Kentucky beat Purdue 4 - 3
14-Feb-23 Clemson beat South Carolina 4 - 2
aggiedrjdub
AG
The ITA computerized rankings have us at #7. Oh ok. Wtfever.

Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Ag4eva95
I'm actually offended by these rankings. Like wtf. How do you beat the **** out of OSU, compete with UNC, and drop 5 places in the rankings. Like how is this even possible
Chapa96
AG
The 3rd best team in the SEC??? BS!!!
Quail
They had a mixup in the rankings last year if you remember. That or they started a crack habit! It does not make sense to me.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Is the computer forgetting that we beat OSU decisively? Ridiculous.

Good news is we play OSU again this weekend which gives us an opp for two wins over the #2 team.
aggiedrjdub
AG
This happened to us last year, too.
Harry Dunne
cbmik95 said:

I'm actually offended by these rankings. Like wtf. How do you beat the **** out of OSU, compete with UNC, and drop 5 places in the rankings. Like how is this even possible
The ITA is absolutely useless in every aspect. They do next to nothing for college tennis & It's embarrassing that they would put these out considering the results, but that's par for the course for them.

The good news is that with more of a body of work the rankings work themselves out.
Anchorhold
COMPUTERS ARE PREJUDICED AGAINST FARMERS!
Ag4eva95
I completely get it, just sad when these are the rankings that determine the NCAA tournament. Obviously a long time before the natty, but these rankings indirectly affect seeding. Just sad.

Signem
Seems to me this gives Mark and Jordan something to keep the team aware that it's the human element that beats the c**p out of an opponent, not rankings. Keeps a chip on our shoulder. All that matters is winning the last match of the year PERIOD! And I mean in Orlando, not Fayetteville.
Harry Dunne
Good point, and it's a far better path to fly below the radar with a chip on your shoulder than to have to wear the heavy crown and have a target on your back all season.

A few years ago when Stanford squeaked by us in the NCAAs before winning it all, they skipped the indoors and were ranked in the 20s most of the season.

They were ranked #7 or 8 to start the year, then the computer dropped them to 16 and then they beat Florida (who would finish the regular season #1) at the end of February and the next week they dropped to 20! They hung around there the rest of the year and were only 15 going into NCAAs...and then won it all.

Conclusions:

• The indoors mean nothing.
  • The ITA rankings are totally inaccurate and mean nothing.
  • The best team playing its best tennis outdoors in mid-May is going to win it all.
aggiesherpa
AG
bigfoot10s said:

I will never forget regional tournament of Fiona's senior year. She played with Brianna Wilbur for Alamo Heights. They showed up to the regional finals with a Louis bag, ONE small bottle of water, and a racket. Won 0,0 I believe.

State finals, down 5-2 to Highland Park in the first set, I believe they ran off a few games and won 7-5, 6-2. HP was GOOD too

Then she goes to UNC and I think played 6 her freshman year and barely lost a match.

Hahaha so on brand for Alamo Heights tennis
Anchorhold
Cracked Racquets's "Not Complete Bull****" Rankings:

1. North Carolina
2. TEXAS A&M
3. Georgia
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Iowa State
7. t.u.
8. NC State
9. Auburn
10. Duke

Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

Cracked Racquets's "Not Complete Bull****" Rankings:

1. North Carolina
2. TEXAS A&M
3. Georgia
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Iowa State
7. t.u.
8. NC State
9. Auburn
10. Duke

They know what's up!
HersheyMonroe
Seems like we go through this panic every year on here when the computer rankings come out. It's a simple formula: ITA Rankings Explained - ITA #WeAreCollegeTennis

If we simplify it and only look at wins against teams in the top 30:

#2 Ohio State has 6 wins over #5, 6, 12, 16, 18, 19.

#6 Georgia has 5 wins over #4, 17, 18, 22, 30

#5 Auburn has 4 wins over #4, 14, 25, 27

#7 Texas A&M has 3 wins over #2, 15, 27

I understand the head-to-head arguments but it's sadly not how the formula works. And wins are weighted more heavily than losses. As other's have said, let the team use it as fuel and allow the season to play out.
Anchorhold
ita was only looking at top four wins thus far
HersheyMonroe
Furthers my point, thanks
Anchorhold
Harry Dunne
HersheyMonroe said:

Seems like we go through this panic every year on here when the computer rankings come out. It's a simple formula: ITA Rankings Explained - ITA #WeAreCollegeTennis

If we simplify it and only look at wins against teams in the top 30:

#2 Ohio State has 6 wins over #5, 6, 12, 16, 18, 19.

#6 Georgia has 5 wins over #4, 17, 18, 22, 30

#5 Auburn has 4 wins over #4, 14, 25, 27

#7 Texas A&M has 3 wins over #2, 15, 27

I understand the head-to-head arguments but it's sadly not how the formula works. And wins are weighted more heavily than losses. As other's have said, let the team use it as fuel and allow the season to play out.
We all know this and there is no panic. That's not "how the formula works" because the formula doesn't work, especially when there aren't a lot of results. The ITA itself has admitted that the formula is only accurate by the end of the season up to #40. But they are lazy and publish it anyway while getting outworked by Gruskin (basically a superfan).

I don't think anyone is too worried about it and the ITA is accidentally doing us a favor. Fortunately we have the chance to go to Orlando and kick Ohio State's ass (again), at which point I'm sure they will move up to #1 and we will drop out of the top 10.
HersheyMonroe
That wasn't the vibe this board was putting off yesterday around noon.

I just think saying the ITA is useless for college tennis is a bit of a hyperbole. Having a 3rd party individual superfan like Grushkin publish rankings would be a joke in any other sport, and I bet this board would want to burn him at the stake if he wasn't so pro-A&M all the time and ranked us lower. I have no problem with a transparent computerized formula that looks at an entire body of work. Would we rather they rank them based on feel and then not explain their reasonings?

Again, we're getting worked up about rankings released after a few non conference matches and a glorified Maui Invitational held indoors
Harry Dunne
I think we agree that it's not that big of a deal. At the same time it's stupid that the team that only has one loss (as close as can be) to #1 and kicked the ass of #2…is ranked #7. If the computer ranking is so limited that it can't get that right then I'd rather them use it as a guide and publish a human ranking just like other sports do.

You can take that feedback to your friends at the ITA. You're right useless is too strong, but I think it's fair to say they've got a lot of room to improve.
Harry Dunne
BTW favoritism or not, for Gruskin to come out of nowhere and quickly be as big of a presence as he is in college tennis is a joke. No disrespect to him, he does a great job, but there was a huge void there because the ITA does little to nothing to promote the sport.
HersheyMonroe
The void is there because that's how tennis is viewed in America. It's probably the 10th most popular sport in the country wouldn't you say? I'd say the ITA does a fair job promoting it for what it is.

There was a stat a few years back looking at Twitter followings across big name universities' various sports accounts, tennis was always the lowest. It's not just the governing body that's lacking. But par for the course for our fanbase to finally show up and start wanting recognition and fairness once we finally have an elite program
nereus
AG
Harry Dunne said:

If the computer ranking is so limited that it can't get that right then I'd rather them use it as a guide and publish a human ranking just like other sports do.

Other sports also have computer rankings as well. Basketball has NET, Baseball has RPI, etc. Those are also worthless early in the season.
Harry Dunne
nereus said:

Harry Dunne said:

If the computer ranking is so limited that it can't get that right then I'd rather them use it as a guide and publish a human ranking just like other sports do.
Other sports also have computer rankings as well. Basketball has NET, Baseball has RPI, etc. Those are also worthless early in the season.
That's true, but those are just used as guides at NCAA selection time. You're not going to see the RPI ranking of a team next to it's name on a broadcast...while the ITA ranking is the ranking and inexplicably changes from a poll ranking to an algorithm ranking midstream.

The RPI also takes every result into account and every team has a distinct value. Meanwhile, the ITA's formula only gives the top 75 teams (out of 300ish) a distinct value and only counts from 4 to 10 wins depending on the time of year (but all losses always count, for whatever reason).

So just think of the ITA ranking as a very incomplete and even more inaccurate RPI that instead of a secondary guide is the primary ranking.

Harry Dunne
HersheyMonroe said:

The void is there because that's how tennis is viewed in America. It's probably the 10th most popular sport in the country wouldn't you say? I'd say the ITA does a fair job promoting it for what it is.

There was a stat a few years back looking at Twitter followings across big name universities' various sports accounts, tennis was always the lowest. It's not just the governing body that's lacking. But par for the course for our fanbase to finally show up and start wanting recognition and fairness once we finally have an elite program
10th if we're lucky. We're starting to fall behind pickleball as a recreational sport.

I disagree about the ITA. When you're the least popular sport you need to be making the biggest effort and they have been on cruise control for 30 years. Why were they not already doing what Gruskin is doing and how is he beating them at it pro bono?

Anyway, I appreciate the fresh perspective and good posts. Stick around and lets argue some more.
aggiedrjdub
AG
NCState just took down Ohio State with Schneider clinching the win at 7-6 in the 3rd.
aggiedrjdub
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

This is a debate that could go on forever. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? If you build it they will come, etc. I'm more of the mindset of the later. Build a complex worthy of Texas A&M athletics for all programs. The problem I have is there have been plans for years and donations directly to these new facilities and then crickets.
Anchorhold
How did we schedule three matches in Orlando in four days? I get that it's basically UCF's home courts so they play there plenty, but why arn't more teams trying to do that to prepare for May?
aggietennisfan
Very smart scheduling that should pay off both in the short term and the long term.
aggiedrjdub
AG
If you follow the Aggie WTT on social media they are posting lots of short videos and photos of the team working out in Florida. They look focused.
aggiesherpa
AG
Missouri fired their coach yesterday, yikes. The newly hired assistant, and former tu player, Bianca Turati had been named the interim.
Chapa96
AG
Will there be live video for these upcoming matches this weekend?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Wow - in the middle of the season? Odd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.