Womens Tennis 2023

234,211 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Chapa96
Quail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Preaching to the choir! It makes 0 sense!! Especially since only play 2 matches and 4 teams! Should be indoors!
bigtimeag1977
Why would the other teams choose to come play at A&M knowing they are not guaranteed a match?
Chapa96
AG
6 pm now.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't think they are given a choice. This is how the draw placed them.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Chapa96
AG
Weather is showing cloudy and 15% at 6. It MIGHT actually happen. Guess I will skip the Bball game and go watch some tennis.
nereus
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Hi - sorry to beat a dead horse here, but serious question. If this is the ITA indoors, why are any matches anywhere in the country played outdoors? If a top team doesn't have indoor courts or access to indoor courts, they shouldn't host. Period. Same with NCAA outdoor finals. Sometimes the weather sucks and you have to wait. Change the name to ITA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Winter Tennis Championships, and NCAA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Spring Tennis Championships.
This technically this isn't ITA indoors. ITA national team indoors championship is technically only Feb 10th - 13th. This is technically just ITA Kickoff Weekend not ITA Kickoff indoor weekend. The field for the indoor championships is only 16 teams and takes place on 1 weekend. This is really just a fun way to give other teams a shot at playing in the 16 team tournament as opposed to just automatically selecting the top 15 teams from the previous year. The way ITA indoors is set up, it is really more of a showcase tournament than a true national championship.

The NCAA Championships in May is technically just the NCAA Championship. It isn't the Outdoor NCAA Championships. That is why they will play games indoors when needed. Some people will refer to it informally as the outdoor championship but it isn't technically called that.
Chapa96
AG
nereus said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Hi - sorry to beat a dead horse here, but serious question. If this is the ITA indoors, why are any matches anywhere in the country played outdoors? If a top team doesn't have indoor courts or access to indoor courts, they shouldn't host. Period. Same with NCAA outdoor finals. Sometimes the weather sucks and you have to wait. Change the name to ITA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Winter Tennis Championships, and NCAA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Spring Tennis Championships.
This technically this isn't ITA indoors. ITA national team indoors championship is technically only Feb 10th - 13th. This is technically just ITA Kickoff Weekend not ITA Kickoff indoor weekend. The field for the indoor championships is only 16 teams and takes place on 1 weekend. This is really just a fun way to give other teams a shot at playing in the 16 team tournament as opposed to just automatically selecting the top 15 teams from the previous year. The way ITA indoors is set up, it is really more of a showcase tournament than a true national championship.

The NCAA Championships in May is technically just the NCAA Championship. It isn't the Outdoor NCAA Championships. That is why they will play games indoors when needed. Some people will refer to it informally as the outdoor championship but it isn't technically called that.
This is true. Majority of last years NCAA's was played indoors hosted by Illinois.
nereus
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

They do to some extent. They start with the #16 team from last year's ranking and let them choose which site they want to go. Then #17 chooses where they want to go. Then #18 chooses...Until they fill up all the slots.
Harry Dunne
aggiedrjdub said:

ITA KICKOFF WEEKEND 2023 Women's Draft
Anchorhold

OMG NO WAI
Harry Dunne
bigtimeag1977 said:

Why would the other teams choose to come play at A&M knowing they are not guaranteed a match?
Because they are outdoor teams and prefer to play outdoors.

FAU was the second to last team to choose, so it was indoors @ UVA or here. They knew they had a better chance to come away with one win vs. Arizona outdoors than against Northwestern indoors because they aren't beating any 1 seeds no matter where they go and it's probably better for them to come here and go 0-0 (and have a shot at 1-1) than it would be to go to UVA and go 0-2.

Similar deal for Arizona. They aren't going to win a pod no matter where they go and they probably had a few more options, but similar concept.

With Florida this is a very speculative but I'd guess they have enough residual arrogance from their glory days to think this is "still good ole A&M" and that they should win just because of the F on their chest...and worst-case scenario they come here and go 1-1 and get to see what it's going to take to win the SEC and can train the rest of the year with a chip on their shoulder. But TBH I am surprised they didn't choose to go be the 2 seed at more winnable UGA or Auburn pods.

Then again, Florida may not even want to play the indoors. With some of these teams that play 95% of their matches outdoors, the "grand prize" for winning a pod is to go play a bunch of natural indoor teams on indoor courts at a huge disadvantage. Several really good teams will go 1-2 and even 0-3 at the indoors, and that ain't great for morale.

I would guess they will get to play at least one match. Beating Arizona and flying home and dodging the team indoors is probably a great outcome for UF!

Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

OMG NO WAI
Damn...I may now go back to watch BBall and keep an eye out on the actual start time and just walk over.
aggiedrjdub
AG
That makes too much sense. Stop. Lmao
Chapa96
AG
Today is cancelled. Basketball it is!!
Guessing they will try a double header tomorrow but more rain to come as well.
Ag4eva95
I feel like we owe this one to Bjork! Thanks Bjork for focusing on what's important…. ****ty football
Signem
Just heard, 11AM start. With a current forecast of 77% at that hour, preceded by 2 hours of thunderstorms also in the 70%+ range. If the current forecast holds true or improves the rains slack off considerably after 4, but then they have to get the courts dry. At that rate there's no way for a double header to be played. Haven't heard if the visiting teams will be sticking around for Monday or not to hopefully give our location a true "champion" but from what I was hearing from a friend at the lacrosse tournament on the other side of the parking lot, the misting never stopped for any significant period all day. With the projection considerably higher for tomorrow, and no sun whatsoever in the forecast it looks pretty bleak. If Harry Dunne is correct we move on, but man, what a way to run a railroad. ROSS FOR PETE'S SAKE DO SOMETHING!!!!!
Signem
As much as I hate to admit it, without Jimbo and his money machine, the entire Aggie athletic experience would be a pipedream. But for pity's sake, this has got to make us look like the dumb a** Aggie in all the jokes being told.
Signem
Harry, I don't know what your background is, but that is incredibly well put.
Signem
For what it's worth, thanks for the updates. What a bummer to make the trip and come up dry (wet/whatever).
Chapa96
AG
Signem said:

For what it's worth, thanks for the updates. What a bummer to make the trip and come up dry (wet/whatever).

I do have work in Bryan Monday morning. I get to see one of my 100 cousins I have tomorrow. At the Bball game now. But purposely chose this weekend to watch tennis. It's ok. I'll get to watch the girls win it all in Orlando!
Aggie Tennis
AG
I was checking scores from today's matches and saw that the NC State Freshman didn't play again. Hopefully it stays that was as they are very good and have three top 25 players without her.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/1/28/womens-tennis-3-wolfpack-snatch-win-from-illinois-in-the-start-of-ita-kickoff.aspx
Chapa96
AG
Saw the weather. Gusty winds and possible hailstorms today. Perfect tennis weather.
Quail
Chapa96 said:

nereus said:

aggiedrjdub said:

This is true. Majority of last years NCAA's was played indoors hosted by Illinois.

They did play some matches indoors at Illinois. That is because the weather sucked and that was only choice. I just don't understand that this isn't part of the process to qualify for the Indoor Nationals. How can an actual team make it when they don't play a match. I don't understand how it was not moved somewhere as this weather was predicted. No other NCAA sport would this happen. It is win-win for us if no matches are played but sure is a bad reflection on us. I think the team would want to qualify by winning.
Quail
I have not looked but is there any other matches not played because of weather?
Anchorhold
Just a statement confirming what has already been posted here.

Quote:

STATEMENT REGARDING THE ITA KICKOFF WEEKEND TEXAS A&M WOMEN'S REGIONAL

If the Texas A&M Regional cannot start both first round matches outdoors in College Station by 5 PM local time on Sunday, the regional will be canceled. In this situation and in accordance with ITA Kickoff Weekend policies, the highest seed will advance to the ITA Women's National Team Indoor Championships.

If first round matches can be started and completed on Sunday, Monday will be utilized for play as a weather make-up day according to ITA Kickoff Weekend policies. If matches are able to start on Sunday but are ultimately suspended prior to completion due to weather, ITA staff will work with the regional games committee to determine next steps depending on when the match was suspended. This may include completing suspended matches on Monday morning (weather permitting). Double header(s) on Monday with two complete matches in one day for one or more teams will not be utilized.

https://www.wearecollegetennis.com/2023/01/28/statement-regarding-the-ita-kickoff-weekend-texas-am-womens-regional/
Anchorhold
Quail said:

I have not looked but is there any other matches not played because of weather?

I haven't seen whether there were any other weather delays and some started on Friday, but every other site has had at least one round played.

https://slam.tennis/ita/kickoff/women
Chapa96
AG
Here we go again. Pushed to 2 today.
Anchorhold
I'm just laughing at the twitter account for posting "ITA Kickoff Weekend starts today!!" and three minutes later, "Timing Update".

Now I have this guy's voice stuck in my head.

aggiedrjdub
AG
It's just not looking good until around 6:00 PM.
Anchorhold
Teams officially advancing to Seattle:
'|''| t.u.
2. North Carolina
6 Georgia
7 Stanford
8 Virginia
12 Ohio State
NR San Diego (wins over 25 Georgia Tech and 11 Cal)
NR Washington* (Host does not play in "regionals")

Teams will be reseeded for the actual indoor tournament. Assuming some of the favorites win, including the ultra-heavy favorite College Station Weather*, I am guessing we should face the second highest ranked winner of these matchups:
17 Oklahoma vs Tech - (I would have thought Okie wouldn't have a problem beaitng tech but I after last weekend's scores I don't know enough about them.)
14 Oklahoma State vs 16 Michigan
15 Auburn vs 23 UCF

*I hope I am wrong for Chapa's sake.
aggietennisfan
Wonder if this will be held against the Aggies with the seeding committee having not played.
nereus
AG
It doesn't factor into seeding.
RodgerDodger
I think there is a real possibility that the team's ranking will drop because the other teams will have had some good wins at their region and we will not so I do think our seeding will drop.
Harry Dunne
I would guess that the seedings will be based off of the next rankings, which will factor in the wins other teams have had. I would be surprised if we don't drop a spot or two.

Everyone gets at least 3 matches and in order to win it you have to beat the best teams, so I don't think the seedings are that big of a deal. What might be a big deal is to have to face a top 10 team indoor without having played a match indoors, or any matches at all against anyone good. I'm sure Mark will find a way to use it as motivation if they do drop us for things out of our control.

The whole thing is embarrassing and coach and team deserve better.
RodgerDodger
Complete embarrassment! Agreed!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.