Womens Tennis 2023

238,903 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree! Coach Weaver commented in his interview how he didn't think the girls played at a high enough level on Sunday, but still gave all credit to Georgia.
Ag4eva95
You could see it! Missing a lot of routine balls, not winning the big points. I was also not a fan of the courts though. Not a lot of room in between courts. Always seemed like girls were waiting on balls or running into each others courts. Not sure how they thought those courts were worthy to host the SEC championships. They were nice for Arkansas I guess
Anchorhold
That is fair to say. SEC Tournament rotates between all schools, not necessarily quality ones.
Anchorhold
I don't know if it was their early start or playing three days in a row or natural sunlight, but unc looked like absolute junk yesterday.
aggiedrjdub
AG
TBH - that may have something to do with it, but they played a lot of the ACC tournament indoors. Also, with teams like UNC and TAMU, of course they want to win and aren't throwing in the towel, but you have to know they probably knew their ranking was safe according to the numbers calculated. Not that I'm using that as an excuse, but there is a lot of pressure being undefeated and not having lost a match in forever. Both UNC and TAMU have been under a lot of pressure as the season progressed. For us, I could almost see this coming. We have escaped a few matches because it's hard to beat a team that expects to win every match. HOWEVER, we are vulnerable in doubles, and with Carson out, it's more plausible for a team to get 3-4 singles win on a given day.

Hell, I'm not a current player and I felt the pressure for them! Let's hope they can take a deep breath now, relax, play strong smart tennis and win a natty and start a dynasty.
Anchorhold
The champion part could be bigger, but I finally got it.

"Texas A&M Champion Tennis SEC T-Shirt"

Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

The champion part could be bigger, but I finally got it.

"Texas A&M Champion Tennis SEC T-Shirt"

Haha. A champion brand tennis shirt is better than nothing I suppose, but if anyone in the athletic department is listening, we want our SEC Championship shirt for women's tennis!

Here is the one for women's golf. Just do something similar.
aggiedrjdub
AG

Edit. We can't vote. It's an internal thing but there should be no competition here.
aggiedrjdub
AG

They won! Well deserved!
Signem
Russell's magic ran out in Fayetteville. I would not stake my life on this, but the Ga coach I "bet" had a red headed screech owl screaming over Russell the entire match. He moved a couple of times to get away from her and she followed him. She is also the person that #3 doubles made a comment about but Meg Kowalski the Ga player on 3 made the same complaint in Alabama at the tournament and it was the GEORGIA people doing the talking during play. The good news is aggiedrjdub, that Russell's vocal cords are taking a 2 week hiatus and whoever we draw in the first and second rounds will be annihilated both on the court and in the stands.
aggiedrjdub
AG
This is great news. Rest those vocal cords and come out strong.

I was not a fan of the way Kowalski played mind games with Daria. Laughing and smiling and talking before, during and after points. I think it really got to Daria and I hope she can block that out next time they play. Daria is more physically gifted. Personally, I'd pin Kowalski to the back hand corner with my inside out forehand, throw in some cross court to keep her honest, but then I'd use short cross court angles and just wear her out. Run her butt all over the court. Bring her in, topspin lob to the backhand corner. Physically, Daria can go all day. We just have to play the big points better.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

This is great news. Rest those vocal cords and come out strong.

I was not a fan of the way Kowalski played mind games with Daria. Laughing and smiling and talking before, during and after points. I think it really got to Daria and I hope she can block that out next time they play. Daria is more physically gifted. Personally, I'd pin Kowalski to the back hand corner with my inside out forehand, throw in some cross court to keep her honest, but then I'd used short cross court angles and just wear her out. Run her butt all over the court. Bring her in, topspin lob to the backhand corner. Physically, Daria can go all day. We just have to play the big points better.
I saw the same. I didn't like it either, but hard to blame her after losing the first. Experience won that match.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Agree. But I hate it. Lol
aggiedrjdub
AG

Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Let's hope those are the top 4 seeds for the NCAAs!
Anchorhold
Based on today's rankings and assuming favorites win our playoff route would be:
(Small Conf. Champ) > Vandy > Tennessee > Pepperdine > Georgia > North Carolina

According to http://collegetennisranks.com/rankings/projected/d1w Projected Rankings our route would be:
Long Island > South Carolina > Miami > Stanford > NC State > North Carolina
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

Based on today's rankings and assuming favorites win our playoff route would be:

According to http://collegetennisranks.com/rankings/projected/d1w Projected Rankings our route would be:

Well those are two completely different paths lol
Anchorhold
Salma goes from #73 to #58 in singles.
Georgia's Dasha Vidmanova goes from #6 to #3.
I'm pretty sure Salma was up 6-3, 3-6, 1-1, 15-Love on Sunday when they called it.

Carson goes up to #50 in Singles.

Jayci / Salma go up from #25 to #21 in doubles.

Caron / Mary stay strong at #3 doubles.
Mary stays at #2 Singles.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

I'm pretty sure Salma was up 6-3, 3-6, 1-1, 15-Love on Sunday when they called it.

I think Ma is 3 and Dasha 4. Incredible to have numbers 3 and 4 in your singles lineup. Crazy.
HersheyMonroe
Anchorhold said:

I understand your methodology and know it's not a prediction, but very doubtful that we'd host an SEC team in the 2nd round. They usually adjust the bracket so that teams don't have to travel far and don't play a conference foe too early.

For instance, last year #16 Florida drew #35 Florida State as the number 2 team at their site. Meanwhile, #17 Arizona State went to #2 Oklahoma. (You'd think Florida and Arizona State should have been paired as 16 & 17.) It's impossible to predict what our bracket will look like.

Edit - with that being said, I'll still join in on the fun. I predict we host:
#32 SMU
#37 Tech or #42 Baylor
Conf Champ TAMU CC
Chapa96
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

Anchorhold said:

I understand your methodology and know it's not a prediction, but very doubtful that we'd host an SEC team in the 2nd round. They usually adjust the bracket so that teams don't have to travel far and don't play a conference foe too early.

For instance, last year #16 Florida drew #35 Florida State as the number 2 team at their site. Meanwhile, #17 Arizona State went to #2 Oklahoma. (You'd think Florida and Arizona State should have been paired as 16 & 17.) It's impossible to predict what our bracket will look like.

#32 SMU
#37 Tech or #42 Baylor
Conf Champ TAMU CC
Ohhh to have the overall #2 seed.....love it!!

And in the Sweet 16?
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Anchorhold said:

I think Ma is 3 and Dasha 4. Incredible to have numbers 3 and 4 in your singles lineup. Crazy.
It is crazy which makes losing to them at the bottom of the lineup so frustrating. We won 3 of 3 matches that finished against their #1 and #2. Salma was playing well and had a good chance to make it 4 of 4.

As impressive as it is, I think both NC State and UNC are better than Georgia at the top 2.
Chapa96
AG

Individual Championships in the Fall.....

Singles and Doubles Championships now in the Fall for 2024 and 2025.
Harry Dunne
HersheyMonroe said:

Anchorhold said:

#32 SMU
#37 Tech or #42 Baylor
Conf Champ TAMU CC
I like your 2 & 3 seeds. Since they sent Corpus here last year I think they will send them to Austin and send us some super rando like Quinippiac
LB12Diamond
AG
When is the bracket announced.
Anchorhold
The selection show (probably on youtube or espn+) is Monday at 5:00 p.m. Full bracket should be announced by 5:30 p.m.
Anchorhold
South Carolina (Women #34 / Men #8) is hosting a watch party for the selection show and inviting their fans at their indoor facility.
fishoutawater
What's an indoor facility?
aggiedrjdub
AG
fishoutawater said:

Ask the football team.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

fishoutawater said:

Ask the football team.

And the track team......two times...
aggiedrjdub
AG
Did y'all see cracked racket dropped us to number 4. Jerks.
Anchorhold
I saw it. I'm not worried about it.

1. UNC
2. NC State
3. Georgia
4. TAMC

bigtimeag1977
Who cares what they say. They are irrelevant. I think the people here on Texags should start our own ranking system. Would be no different than what they are doing.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Lol true. Those are definitely the top 4 teams for sure, though. I just disagree with the order.
Harry Dunne
True.

Here's the Cracked Harry rankings:

1. UNC
2. Ags
3. NC State
4. UGA
5. Stanford
6. Michigan
7. Pepperdine
8. Duke

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.