Womens Tennis 2023

234,319 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Chapa96
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

Does anyone know how to get Adidas, or someone, to make a back to back SEC champs shirt?
Just saw these. Surely tennis is coming??

SEC Womens Golf Shirt
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Aggie Tennis said:

Does anyone know how to get Adidas, or someone, to make a back to back SEC champs shirt?
Just saw these. Surely tennis is coming??

SEC Womens Golf Shirt
Thanks! I hope so. I looked last year and never found them.
Anchorhold
Last year I thought… "they're just waiting until the team wins the SEC tournament too." And then "until they make it to illinois". Then…. nothing.
Ag4eva95
Looks like no major changes in the rankings outside of a few up or down. Daria is no longer ranked, as expected. Surprisingly Gianna is still ranked even after her loss.

Looking forward to Friday! Ready to see how the girls challenge for a repeat. Hopefully Salma gets the rest she needs
Aggie Tennis
AG
cbmik95 said:

Looks like no major changes in the rankings outside of a few up or down. Daria is no longer ranked, as expected. Surprisingly Gianna is still ranked even after her loss.

Looking forward to Friday! Ready to see how the girls challenge for a repeat. Hopefully Salma gets the rest she needs
I think Michigan is rated too high at #3.

My top 4:
  • UNC
  • A&M
  • Georgia
  • NC State

Good chance we see two of those matchups this weekend. Tough sledding in the SEC and ACC.
Anchorhold
Some of y'all were chatting about vandy's Anna Ross last week; she is ranked in singles with a 2-8 record on the year. #117 but still ranked.
bigfoot10s
AG
I have it on good authority that there will be an SEC Womens Tennis Champion shirt available on 12thmanshop.com this Sunday 4/23
aggiedrjdub
AG
And all Jayci has done since the fall is win win win win win. She's usually first off the court and her ranking keeps dropping.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anyone have an update on Salma?
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

I have it on good authority that there will be an SEC Womens Tennis Champion shirt available on 12thmanshop.com this Sunday 4/23

Thank you! I'll be buying several!
YaBoyBP
Weaver says he'll go with Mireles/Pielet on line 3 for doubles this week
Aceswimmer09
Is there no one else that can play doubles besides pielet? Her backhand is a complete liability and her movement is not very good. Idk…
aggietennisfan
There only other options are walkons.
Ag4eva95
Wish I understood the rankings more to comprehend that. She's beating quality opponents. How are UNCs players winning and not dropping in their rankings?

I would understand it if all #4 lines played ranked players. The ACC is top heavy, the middle and bottom are pretty bad. But even when they play bad teams like VT or Clemson, all their players still seem to go up
Gap
AG
Gia is a heck of a doubles player. I have seen her carry that team on occasion. But you don't play your best match everyday. Because of injury she has ended up playing with some players without a lot of doubles experience. The 3 doubles team is getting better.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

aggiedrjdub said:

I think that's fair tbh. Carson is so good, but she's so inconsistent. I think our fate will be determined by who is playing at 1 this season.

I think this will be Mary and I think people will be surprised at how well she does at #1.
I was confident Mary would have a great season but she has exceeded all expectations. Doubles and singles - shows up match after match.

aggiedrjdub
AG
https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/watch-mark-weaver-discusses-the-texas-a-m-womens-tennis-teams-sec-title/article_fa804168-de26-11ed-b281-37895a4139b1.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_The_Eagle&fbclid=IwAR3Vasv_Ur1BOZ5lgBr2I_u3cyYQpRjm1aUxZ5NI7pez_yICaPTKt-HTV-c

Here is the video of coach Weaver's interview if anyone else would like to listen. He addresses line 3 in detail and acknowledges it as an issue (although he is clearly not that worried about it just yet).

My opinion on line 3 doubles which means absolutely nothing other than me being an armchair QB at this point. I've watched almost every line 3 doubles match this season during conference. Gianna is struggling with confidence right now. Anyone who has ever played tennis at high level knows that when you're not confident in your returns your entire game struggles. She is struggling to get her returns cross court on the deuce side bc she's hitting the ball late (nerves) and one of the reasons she feels more comfortable returning on the ad side of the court. HOWEVER, her opponents have found her backhand weakness, and she either runs around her backhand for the return which pushes her way out of the court, or she hits a weak backhand that is intercepted and put away. She'd be better off just hitting a hard return down the line 5 out of 10 times to keep the net player from being able to poach so consistently. Another sign that her confidence is down? She hardly EVER returns at deuce. She gives those responsibilities to Mireles and Smetta. When the match is tight Gianna gets tight on her returns and volleys. Relax, volley solid and hard. Down the middle solves the riddle. Hit out on the ball and own your nerves. Pros: she has an incredible serve for doubles. Her overhead is top flight and she's a competitor. She's just battling overwhelming expectations and her nerves right now.

One more thing, if you've ever played a high level, it literally takes one good doubles match, sometimes just 3/4 solid returns in a row to get your confidence back. She will do it. She's too good not to. Relax G. You've got this! Gig'em!!
RodgerDodger
Just saw on texas.tennis on Instagram they have Texas A&M ranked the 5th best facility in Texas. Also note, Texas Tech is getting a new indoor facility so that will push the Aggies to 6. What would that make Texas A&M nationally?
1. TCU
2. SMU
3. Texas
4. Baylor
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. TJC
8. Rice
9. HSU
10. ACU
Anchorhold
TCU's outdoor is nice in that the courts are in a retainage ditch and the spectator seats are up on a raised embankment with tree shade. Surrounded by lots of green and an air conditioned pro shop are major pluses. SMU's new outdoor matches the rest of their campus design with the brick facade blocking what little wind they get and looks hot as hell. They've had to move matches indoors due to the heat index rule.
t.u.'s is right next to 35. Not sure what the noise is like inside but seems to be a good location to get the hell out of there.
Anchorhold
Even according to their high school facility rankings our girls are used to the best:
1. Dripping Springs - Jayci Goldsmith
2. Highland Park - Lizanne Boyer
aggiedrjdub
AG
I really hope we see some info about new facilities soon!

Is anyone heading up to Fayetville?
bigfoot10s
AG
RodgerDodger said:

Just saw on texas.tennis on Instagram they have Texas A&M ranked the 5th best facility in Texas. Also note, Texas Tech is getting a new indoor facility so that will push the Aggies to 6. What would that make Texas A&M nationally?
1. TCU
2. SMU
3. Texas
4. Baylor
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. TJC
8. Rice
9. HSU
10. ACU
Don't put too much trust in these rankings. It is an instagram account that is mainly followed by HS kids since they are the ones the account promotes.
carl spacklers hat
Great assessment on Gianna! It is funny how things can just click from one shot to the next or one game to the next.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Harry Dunne
RodgerDodger said:

1. TCU
2. SMU
3. Texas
4. Baylor
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. TJC
8. Rice
9. HSU
10. ACU
100? Who knows. Not where we want to be.

I hate to say this but the makers of this list were being nice too. If you count aesthetics, Rice's are for sure nicer than ours and maybe TJC's too. Anyway it's definitely a debatable topic whether Tyler Junior College has nicer facilities than we do. In conference we are 13th out of 14, only ahead of Missouri whose coach just quit/got fired over that topic.
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

RodgerDodger said:

1. TCU
2. SMU
3. Texas
4. Baylor
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. TJC
8. Rice
9. HSU
10. ACU
100? Who knows. Not where we want to be.

I hate to say this but the makers of this list were being nice too. If you count aesthetics, Rice's are for sure nicer than ours and maybe TJC's too. Anyway it's definitely a debatable topic whether Tyler Junior College has nicer facilities than we do. In conference we are 13th out of 14, only ahead of Missouri whose coach just quit/got fired over that topic.

The list was made based on votes on an IG poll
Anchorhold
aggiedrjdub said:

Sign guy I hope. Wish I was.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I really hope we see some info about new facilities soon!

I keep thinking we will see something. Maybe hoping is more accurate. Where is Bill Byrne when you need him?
Anchorhold
Mizzou / Ole Miss currently playing indoors.
Harry Dunne
It's not that far off though right?
Anchorhold
Remember our friends from San Diego? Since getting swept by SMU last week, 4-0, they just barely missed getting their second top fifty win over ITA #8 Pepperdine (including doubles point [including over the ITA #1 doubles pair]). Ends up 4-3 for Pepperdine.

1. Perspective: that's three straight losses for the ITA #1 doubles pair.
2. Are there any dangerous west coast teams or is it really just another Big12?
3. Of at least half a dozen cheers from the SD crowd not once did I hear "there must be some toreros in the atmosphere"
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

3. Of at least half a dozen cheers from the SD crowd not once did I hear "there must be some torros in the atmosphere"

Dead. LMAO
YaBoyBP
LET'S GOOOOOO!!! can't wait to watch
Aggie Tennis
AG
YaBoyBP said:

LET'S GOOOOOO!!! can't wait to watch

1) agree. can't wait!
2) let us buy those A&M tennis shirts that the coaches wear!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Looks like they played indoors today. Let's all listen for sign guy on Friday. Haha. Gig'em!
Signem
The Springers are here. Jayci's parents and grandparents are here, Jordan's wife and in-laws are here and there's others that are coming. It looks to be the best Aggie attended Women's SEC tennis tournament EVER

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.