Womens Tennis 2023

240,672 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Chapa96
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would sign it. I could find quite a few friends who would do so as well
YaBoyBP
Don't think it'll ever be a top priority BUT....

at some point, all these other sports will have run out of necessary renovations - even football (at least for a few years lol). Under that scenario, I think we might see it. National championship would only help.
Quail
Any rumors out there? Big chance of rain starting Saturday for the next 4 days. They have to be looking at plan B.
Signem
Matches this weekend will be decided Friday. Be checking team social media outlets and please put whatever you see there on here. The widest possible net that can be spread will hopefully reap the largest possible crowd for the girls no matter where they play.
Quail
Thanks! Trying to plan and make it but live in McKinney so hard to plan at this point!
Quail
Now, rain chances are going up and not down!
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

Thanks! Trying to plan and make it but live in McKinney so hard to plan at this point!
Me too! I live in Grapevine. I do have work in Bryan on Monday but purposely chose to go this weekend. Was going to do tennis on both Sat and Sun and Basketball on Sat night. I'll still go. I just need to see where they will play.
Signem
Gutsy call, but it looks like the matches are going on as scheduled at Mitchell. The forecast sure doesn't look like it's in Mark's favor, but he's the man. No Plan B even mentioned in the press release. If the coaches haven't met yet though that could change everything. To avoid disruption, I would have thought that arrangements would already be in place to allow teams to make arrangements a little further in advance than less than 24 hours.
Quail
Very surprised at that. Sunday and Monday look even worse.
Harry Dunne
I may be wrong but I believe the highest seed advances to the nationals if the matches don't get played.
Quail
You may be right but kind of funny for Indoor Nationals!! Figure all other venues have indoor facilities.
Harry Dunne
It looks like 9 of the 15 women's sites are "outdoor" sites, but I know some of those sites have indoor backups.

https://slam.tennis/ita/draft/2023/ncaaw

It seems dumb to me that any of the qualifying for the national indoor would be outdoor.
nereus
AG
They aren't selecting host sites which is why they don't have to have an indoor facility. The hosts are the top 15 teams from the previous year's final rankings.
Quail
nereus said:

They aren't selecting host sites which is why they don't have to have an indoor facility. The hosts are the top 15 teams from the previous year's final rankings.
Yes totally understand that but just seems since for indoor nationals, there would be a requirement to have indoor courts available! I have no idea but suspect the other 14 sites have indoor courts available!
Especially this time of year. I don't think anyone wants to qualify for nationals on a rainout.
Anchorhold
USC goes down. Glad Salma got off that sinking ship.

Chapa96
AG
What is the address of the Bryan indoor courts just in case?

Quail
Appears the match is at 11:00 am.
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

Appears the match is at 11:00 am.

Dang it. I may just leave earlier than expected now.
Quail
Safe travels! I may try for Sunday
Signem
The "barn" is actually behind Mitchell Elementary School in Bryan. The address of the school is 2500 Austins Colony Parkway, Bryan, TX 77808. Go around to Bullinger Creek Dr and park in the lot next to the playground and you have to walk over to the facility.
Signem
God I wish I hadn't seen that. I had a terrible premonition this year when we played Appalachian State. I think the girls are way more prepared than the football team was in the fall, but this is why you play the matches. Congrats to Notre Dame (grumble grumble) but the best team won.
Chapa96
AG
Signem said:

The "barn" is actually behind Mitchell Elementary School in Bryan. The address of the school is 2500 Austins Colony Parkway, Bryan, TX 77808. Go around to Bullinger Creek Dr and park in the lot next to the playground and you have to walk over to the facility.

Thank you!
Chapa96
AG
Quail said:

Safe travels! I may try for Sunday

Thank you!
Anchorhold

Any guesses on what will actually happen? I'm in Houston now and the outside looks like sad.
Signem
I feel you. I'm in the same situation. Just heard that rain came back through and the start time is pushed back to 1PM now. Weather.com forecast shows that the precipitation should be shutting down for a few hours right around right now. Chapa, you have been extraordinary with your posts, if you made the trip can you keep us posted also?
Signem
When Howard came down from Maryland he made it very clear and plain that he would NEVER EVER play in the Bryan Barn. Thus the couple of times the girls made the trip to Houston to play indoors. Mark may be contemplating the same strategy. I just hope that the radar forecast is relatively accurate. If so, we should be able to get today's matches in outdoors, but tomorrow looks like an impossibility.
Chapa96
AG
Signem said:

I feel you. I'm in the same situation. Just heard that rain came back through and the start time is pushed back to 1PM now. Weather.com forecast shows that the precipitation should be shutting down for a few hours right around right now. Chapa, you have been extraordinary with your posts, if you made the trip can you keep us posted also?

Hour away. Drizzling. Foggy. Not looking good.

bigfoot10s
AG
I was told that if they don't play by Monday, we advance. The teams pick where they travel to, and they know going in the rules for places with no indoors.
Chapa96
AG
Chapa96 said:

Signem said:

Hour away. Drizzling. Foggy. Not looking good.

Just arrived. It's wet but not drizzling...for now.
Chapa96
AG
Now start time will not be before 2.
aggiesherpa
AG
I wonder if Mark is playing chess with this whole thing. Letting it blow up to embarrass the AD that we don't have an indoor facility.
Ag4eva95
That would be ideal! Bjork hasn't necessarily impressed with the fall sports so far
Chapa96
AG
4pm now....just cancel already...lol
taylorswift13
AG
aggiesherpa said:

I wonder if Mark is playing chess with this whole thing. Letting it blow up to embarrass the AD that we don't have an indoor facility.
exactly what i was telling myself earlier! It is a bad look on our university!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Hi - sorry to beat a dead horse here, but serious question. If this is the ITA indoors, why are any matches anywhere in the country played outdoors? If a top team doesn't have indoor courts or access to indoor courts, they shouldn't host. Period. Same with NCAA outdoor finals. Sometimes the weather sucks and you have to wait. Change the name to ITA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Winter Tennis Championships, and NCAA indoor/outdoor/wtfever courts are available Spring Tennis Championships.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.