***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

173,805 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
sburg2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Elvis, just got it in the air
Grapesoda2525
Elvis accounts for 1/3 of our outs already on offense.

Welcome back I guess? Elvis and Odor kill us when they play.
hawk1689
AG
Some of you guys have the amazing gift of criticizing JD for not being able to trade Lynn while simultaneously not giving him credit for signing Lynn in the first place. The guy was no sure fire TORP. Same story with Minor. The guy was a reliever the year before we picked him up.
powerbelly
AG
hawk1689 said:

Some of you guys have the amazing gift of criticizing JD for not being able to trade Lynn while simultaneously not giving him credit for signing Lynn in the first place. The guy was no sure fire TORP. Same story with Minor. The guy was a reliever the year before we picked him up.

We are criticizing JD for assembling a team that has no ability to compete now and no clear path to compete for the next 3-4+ years. I cant believe you don't get it.
xjrayx
AG
Nice play there from IKF!!!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yes he evaluated some reclamation projects. Those weren't the only ones. I'd also argue those weren't some grand savant signings. They were pretty affordable with a lot of upside based on previous results and if they didn't pan out they wouldn't wreck the payroll.

He also screwed the pooch on managing the trade deadline two years in a row in pretty much the same way.
TXAggie2011
AG
hawk1689 said:

Credit to him for signing Lynn. But the sum of the team he's put together is the 4th straight losing team. It's the 5th losing team he's assembled in 7 years.

It's almost been a decade since the World Series runs and the last time the team won a playoff series.

He's not an awful GM by any means but he doesn't get a lifetime pass because of the pennant runs. No one does. Mike Scioscia came close and we laughed at it.
Proposition Joe
hawk1689 said:

So JD paid roughly $50M for players that won't contribute to a playoff caliber squad.

Bargain shopping is fine if you can flip for prospects or they are a contributor to a playoff-contender (reference Colby Lewis). If they stay and pitch for you throughout their contract and you're never a contender during that time, then you've basically just wasted money.

Regarding acquiring Lynn/Minor/Kluber, people were willing to give credit to Daniels if that actually became a formidable rotation this year or if they were able to be flipped to replenish the farm.

But it didn't work. Just like the Prince Fielder experiment didn't work.

It ain't easy to make the playoffs, but right now we're looking at likely 2 divisional series appearances in 10 years despite having a Top 10 payroll during most of that time. That's not impressive.
jtstanley4621
AG
hawk1689 said:

Does JD even deserve credit? Lynn is one of the many many "let's roll the dice on this guy, he's been hurt but maybe he'll. be good" signings. He just happened to work out. Those kind of signings have been our organizational calling card under JD for probably the last 6 seasons. For every Lance Lynn there's a Tim Lincecum
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So by Astros rules we're supposed to throw behind somebody's head now right?
sburg2007
Gallo. Good grief. I know we shouldn't care, but batting a buck eighty-seven with seven homers ain't cutting it.
xjrayx
AG
This ump's strike zone is atrocious.
sburg2007
As I was saying, it's great to have Tiny E back!
xjrayx
AG
I really enjoy watching IKF play defense.
KT 90
AG
Extra innings...
xjrayx
AG
BALK!!
xjrayx
AG
Joey has to be due, right??? Please...
CampingAg
AG
xjrayx said:

Yes.
sburg2007
See what happens when you just put the ball in play as opposed to striking out. Two runs on two errors and a balk.
xjrayx
AG
xjrayx said:

I'll take that. If you had told me earlier this season that this game would ultimately come down to one team playing bad defense, I'd say we would be that team.
hawk1689
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It ain't easy to make the playoffs, but right now we're looking at likely 2 divisional series appearances in 10 years despite having a Top 10 payroll during most of that time. That's not impressive.
They've made the top 10 three times since 2010 and no higher than 6th. They haven't cracked the top 10 since 2014.
Slamn Sharpe
Let's close this thing
xjrayx
AG
Huge double play!!
Slamn Sharpe
**trashcan banging**
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

If you're going to give JD credit for Lynn / Minor and not criticize him for the Shelby Miller and drew smyly experiments last year which were a complete disaster, then you're a massive JD fan boy.
Grapesoda2525
Could you guys give me any advice or recommendations?

I have Frontier for cable and Internet. Those ****ers just dropped fox sports southwest. How can I watch now?
TDub
AG
r/MLBstreams on Reddit works pretty well
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Drop cable and get Hulu Live.
jtstanley4621
AG
etxag18 said:

r/MLBstreams on Reddit works pretty well

This is what I use. Then I cast to my TV. Pretty much never have issues.
TDub
AG
It's what I used when I was in school and couldn't afford cable. Works great
jtstanley4621
AG
I can afford cable and still do it. Down with the system!
Grapesoda2525

However.....I'm expecting an announcement from the hated rangers front office that looks like this:

"That would add to the budget, we won't be hosting, or participating in such games"

- Bob and Ray
wbt5845
AG
Guzman continues to show promise. That's a guy we really need.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Guzman continues to show promise. That's a guy we really need.

His hitting has been very surprising. He must of made some adjustments to his approach while down at the alt camp. Whatever he tweaked, it's working so far.

KT 90
AG
Updated farm system rankings following the trade deadline. Rangers at #24, down from 21 preseason. I assume L. Taveras being on the MLB roster now was part of the reason for the drop.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-midseason-farm-systems-rankings

24. Texas Rangers
2020 preseason rank:
2019 midseason rank: 14
2019 preseason rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects: Josh Jung, 3B (No. 57), Sam Huff, C (No. 78)
This system continues to teem with high-risk, high-reward types who will need time to develop, though the Rangers have shifted their Draft focus and spent their last two first-rounders on proven college performers in Jung and second baseman Justin Foscue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.