***Official 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

174,741 Views | 2549 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2019-2020 season is in the books! And it kicked ass (by 2020 standards);

Mavs made the playoffs for the first time since 2016.
Luka became a first team all-nba player and bonafide superstar.
and Maxi Kleber is still too damn handsome.

But all of that is over. This thread about about looking forward and documenting Luka's every step to hoisting the league MVP trophy in 2021.

But first, we have FREE AGENCY which is about to kick off this Friday! Mavs don't really have any cap space to work with but have already been swirling around in trade rumors.

How does the Mavs offering the 18th pick+DFS for Kelly Oubre and the 10th pick sound? Or maybe Maxi+18 for Mikal Bridges? (Some of this is based on baseless rumors)

But after free agency, we have the NBA DRAFT on 11/18!!! The Mavs have the 18th and 31st pick! Either way, the next 7 days should be pretty entertaining for Mavs fans!

So let's get this started!

True Anomaly
AG
Not to immediately derail this, but honestly the most interesting thing to me at this point is to see what the plan is for fans in the arena. Only full-season ticket holders? A mix of season ticket holders and fans who come for individual games?
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

Not to immediately derail this, but honestly the most interesting thing to me at this point is to see what the plan is for fans in the arena. Only full-season ticket holders? A mix of season ticket holders and fans who come for individual games?
Yea it's not looking good. Sham's tweeted out a the protocol that seems like it's mostly based on geographic restrictions. Per Sham's yesterday:

NBA releases strict protocols for fans attending games during 2020-21 NBA season
  • Eligible markets can host fans at 25% capacity. It requires said fans sitting 30 feet from the court to test negative for COVID-19 two days prior to the game or a rapid test the day of.
  • All fans over the age of two are required to wear masks, socially distance and take part in a symptom survey upon entering NBA arenas.
  • Food and beverages are not permitted for fans sitting 30 feet from the court. NBA teams can install plexiglass between benches and seats.
  • Arena suites at 25% capacity would not require tests. NBA teams can host fans at 50% capacity should every fan be tested or the "local county's positivity rate is three percent or below and seven-day average of new cases per 100K residents is 10 or fewer."

News reports estimate that we 'may' have up to 25% capacity: "Other large markets in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando and Miami will likely have arenas at 25% capacity. It's similar to what we've seen around the NFL thus far this season."
True Anomaly
AG
We have full season tickets, but haven't heard yet from the team what their specific plan is. I highly doubt the Mavs will allow people to sit bunched up together. I just want to be in the arena, even if it's not in my specific seats.
COAg15
AG
Whenever you hear protocol let us know. I live in Denver now, and the Nuggets have been constantly trying to get me to become a season ticket holder without any sort of assurance that fans can even go. Tough sell for me.

Edit: And I'd absolutely HATE trading DFS and our pick for Oubre and their pick. DFS is one of our most valuable assets (tradeable and not), and to get Oubre in return is a joke. We'd need to package DFS in to a big star package.
M.C. Swag
AG
True Anomaly said:

We have full season tickets, but haven't heard yet from the team what their specific plan is. I highly doubt the Mavs will allow people to sit bunched up together. I just want to be in the arena, even if it's not in my specific seats.
Same.
M.C. Swag
AG
COAg15 said:

Whenever you hear protocol let us know. I live in Denver now, and the Nuggets have been constantly trying to get me to become a season ticket holder without any sort of assurance that fans can even go. Tough sell for me.

Edit: And I'd absolutely HATE trading DFS and our pick for Oubre and their pick. DFS is one of our most valuable assets (tradeable and not), and to get Oubre in return is a joke. We'd need to package DFS in to a big star package.
Oubre is a decent player, is 3 years younger, and can actually create his own shot. I love DFS too but I wonder if we've maxed him out. Would it change your mind if the Mavs could get Oubre and a guy like Patrick Williams at #10?

It's just hard to base the deal without knowing which players will be available at the 10th pick.
chris1515
AG
What are the thoughts on drafting Pokusevic?

There seems to be relatively little buzz about him in the draft articles I read. I wonder if the Mavs or some other team may have already promised him something and he is laying low at this point,

It would be great to get him at 31, but if you like him at 31, why take the risk that he slides that far.
M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

What are the thoughts on drafting Pokusevic?

There seems to be relatively little buzz about him in the draft articles I read. I wonder if the Mavs or some other team may have already promised him something and he is laying low at this point,

It would be great to get him at 31, but if you like him at 31, why take the risk that he slides that far.
Idk, he seems to be picking up steam. I watched his highlight tape the other day and thought he was ok? He's just so skinny and he has a really weird shot. Idk. Maybe one day he could be KP with handles, but that's years from now and doesn't really address any of the Mavs needs.

I like Nesmith, Patrick Williams, or Jalen Smith. I think either of them could be quality backups and each fit into the team makeup.
M.C. Swag
AG
Mavs fans be like:

Guitarsoup
AG
Luka has more triple-doubles in his first two seasons than the entire Utah Jazz organization has in their franchise history.
True Anomaly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Mavs fans be like:

I mean, who would've thought that two ball-dominant guards couldn't ultimately function well together???
awrollins
What are y'all thinking for the draft? I would personally love to have one of Bey, Nesmith, or Vassell. If they all go before 18, I feel like Maxey from UK would be an extremely good fit. I want to avoid Cole Anthony at all costs as well... Thoughts?
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins said:

What are y'all thinking for the draft? I would personally love to have one of Bey, Nesmith, or Vassell. If they all go before 18, I feel like Maxey from UK would be an extremely good fit. I want to avoid Cole Anthony at all costs as well... Thoughts?
I don't see the Mavs drafting another Guard unless it's just an obvious gap of best player available (like if Bane somehow fell to 18). Otherwise I think they will (and should) take a Wing/Forward.
gigem1223
Lots of smoke about Hield today. Thoughts?
Saint Pablo
In
M.C. Swag
AG
gigem1223 said:

depends on the cost. if its just a swap of THJ (+filler like justin jackson) for Hield, I'm down. If they agree to take 1 of Delon Wright or Dwight Powell I'm SUPER down.

Saint Pablo
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

gigem1223 said:

depends on the cost. if its just a swap of THJ (+filler like justin jackson) for Hield, I'm down. If they agree to take 1 of Delon Wright or Dwight Powell I'm SUPER down.

Would love to get rid of Delon, but why are you so eager to dump Dwight? Just think he won't be the same after the injury? I thought he was a perfect fit style wise next to Porzingis because he could allow KP to play the 4 or 5, depending on the matchup. And his pick and roll game with Luka was great.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

M.C. Swag said:

gigem1223 said:

Would love to get rid of Delon, but why are you so eager to dump Dwight? Just think he won't be the same after the injury? I thought he was a perfect fit style wise next to Porzingis because he could allow KP to play the 4 or 5, depending on the matchup. And his pick and roll game with Luka was great.
I just think Dwight is grossly overpaid (thought so before his achilles tear and even more so now). A rim roller is the easiest position in the league to fill and we decided to give ours 12m/yr.
awinlonghorn
We need to replace THJ. He couldnt guard the bigger 2s/3s, couldn't play the quicker guards and is too streaky.

If Jalen is the 1, Luka is the 2, we need a solid 3. Or if Luka is the point/forward, we need a slasher who is more a michael finley type than THJ.

I think Maxi will get better. Another big body there dosen't hurt.

Or another shooter.
jeffdjohnson
I hope that the Mavs future plans don't include keeping cap space for Giannis. I really like what the Bucks just did to go all in the next couple of years. I just don't see Giannis leaving after this season. Just keep the focus on having good, tradeable contracts. I would consider a Heild - THJ swap depending on what else is required to get that deal done. He's a better shooter than THJ. Still need to address wing defense but that is easier to find that shooting.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I'm thinking bucks got a promise from giannis that he would sign before they made those deals.
M.C. Swag
AG

If we get Bane and somehow manage to get Buddy Hield I think Luka might average 20 assists a game
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

If we get Bane and somehow manage to get Buddy Hield I think Luka might average 20 assists a game
Would you think Bane at 18? If you had to choose between Bey, Bane, or Nesmith who would you choose?
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins said:

M.C. Swag said:

Would you think Bane at 18? If you had to choose between Bey, Bane, or Nesmith who would you choose?
Bane is the most pro ready. He's a combo guard that could play 15min/game right now. Put him next to Luka or Jalen with the 2nd unit. He has a good perimeter shot, plays defense, and isn't a size liability.

I'd take Bane over those 3. Don't care which of the other 2 if he's not available.
M.C. Swag
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

I see your point, he would be a perfect fit with Luka...
jeffdjohnson
Nesmith is the best case #18 I think. I don't see him falling that far, very few mock drafts do. I am good with Bane or Bey as well. Both should be solid pro's, maybe not high ceiling guys but they should stick in the league. RJ Hampton would be my high upside play at 18 if the Mavs want to go that route. There are some pretty solid prospects between 10-20 so that Mavs have a decent chance at pulling an important rotation player. Really need a hit here since they won't have picks in 2 of the next 3 drafts.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'd be happy with Nesmith too. I just really like Bane's fit (+ him being a local metroplex guy).
awrollins

Thoughts? I think Dinwiddie would be a great fit for our offense.
M.C. Swag
AG
awrollins said:

I'm a big fan of Dinwiddie and would be down (if the price was right lol)
Guitarsoup
AG
awrollins said:

He lives in San Antonio, so closer to family. Great fit.
jeffdjohnson
Yes on Dinwiddie if it is #18 and Delon Wright. That is a solid upgrade and he is on a good contract.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.