BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

703,919 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
Carny89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All of y'all are wrong. Johnny is what started it all.
jac4
AG
bobinator said:

I think my argument though is that the move to the SEC was more indicative of a larger shift within Texas A&M and the Texas A&M system and the people around it than it was the catalyst for it.

Like I think we made the move because a big shift in mindset was already happening in Aggieland, I don't think the move caused the big shift if that makes sense.

Maybe it's a little of both.
viejo
gopitt said:

I have never seen such explosive growth such as B/CS is experiencing right now. The developments are off the charts. Building cranes everywhere.
This sleepy college town is sleepy no longer.
Must be a youngster. I grew up here in the 60's. About 13,000 people in College Station and just under 10,000 students at A&M. There's strong growth now, but it can't compare to what happened here in the 70's early 80's.
Captn_Ag05
AG
carpe vinum said:

Going back to this, is this actually the Big Shots or something else? If Big shots is just going through permitting, this has to be something else, right?
The Original AG 76
AG
viejo said:

gopitt said:

I have never seen such explosive growth such as B/CS is experiencing right now. The developments are off the charts. Building cranes everywhere.
Must be a youngster. I grew up here in the 60's. About 13,000 people in College Station and just under 10,000 students at A&M. There's strong growth now, but it can't compare to what happened here in the 70's early 80's.

Yep. I was here in the 70's when the growth was so bad it was going to " tip Brazos county over" to paraphrase a brilliant D congressman. The horrors of the Land Grant College going from 14,000 to well over 30,000 with wimmenz was the end of Aggieland. The same type of fools who are today all piss n moan about A&M becoming a diploma mill or a tech blah blah blah we're also around in the 70's regurgitating the same idiocy . Locals were horrified over every new traffic light and apartment complex.
I guess we will always have these types ...kinda like head lice or pond scum....
viejo
The Original AG 76 said:

viejo said:

gopitt said:

Yep. I was here in the 70's when the growth was so bad it was going to " tip Brazos county over" to paraphrase a brilliant D congressman. The horrors of the Land Grant College going from 14,000 to well over 30,000 with wimmenz was the end of Aggieland. The same type of fools who are today all piss n moan about A&M becoming a diploma mill or a tech blah blah blah we're also around in the 70's regurgitating the same idiocy . Locals were horrified over every new traffic light and apartment complex.
I guess we will always have these types ...kinda like head lice or pond scum....
We're not near like Tech. The saying around most high schools is "Get your grades up or get your Guns up!".
76Ag
AG
As a high school sophomore in 1968 I started a summer job on campus but I lived in B/CS since I was 5 years old. The initial growth in the 1960's was caused by allowing females in and the corps membership requirement ending. Things started to really take off in the late 60's through the 70's. The second big growth started with membership in the SEC, Johnny Football and the new Kyle Field. Parts of CS are hard to recognize now and parts the campus are unrecognizable, too. It's exciting even if my home town isn't the same place any longer.
bobinator
AG
I'll put my opinion another way and then leave it alone, but I think attributing the growth of our city over the last five or so years to us joining the SEC is a major disservice to all of the people who have been working for a long time to make this is a great town and to bring more businesses here.

Tower Point, just as one example, was getting going well before we joined the SEC and continues to develop. Rudder and College Station High Schools were both going up before then also. Ten years ago that area where Grub/Abuelo's/etc is was brand new....

Over the last five years I'd say I've probably noticed a bit of a trend of more places being geared towards young professionals as opposed to just students and families, but I think you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that more young people are staying around College Station because the sports teams play in the SEC.

I think the continued growth of cool stuff in this town has more to do with the more than 250,000+ of us that live here every day than it does the (being generous) 100,000 extra people who come visit for a day or two in the fall.
jrhmc
AG
While I enjoy this conversation, can we take the discussions about what is causing current growth and past growth to a different thread? This one is supposed to be about what businesses are coming and going, not necessarily why they are doing so.
bobinator
AG
THEN GIVE ME MORE NEW STUFF

But also yes, okay.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Now that we have a Top Golf type place coming, can we focus all our energy on getting a Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Central Market type store and a Waffle House?
CDub06
AG
You'll have to be content with:
Big Shots
Sprouts
Huddle House
AggieKatie2
AG
Know nothing about it but Mr. Hamburger on Texas in Bryan
Fleen
AggieKatie2 said:

Know nothing about it but Mr. Hamburger on Texas in Bryan

It was discussed a few pages back, just never updated on the original post.
Kitten With A Whip
Anyone know when Mr. Hamburger is set to open?
FlyRod
There is a new BBQ joint on 60, about where it crosses the Brazos. If you're going west, it's on the left. Texas Pit BBQ LLC or something similar. Appeared to be open when I drove past today.
Tailgate88
AG
Anyone know what is going on behind Caprock ER on Fitch? It's a pretty big building. Am I being too optimistic in thinking that might look like a second floor outside porch/deck? The kind they might serve cold beverages on?
carpe vinum
AG
Isn't that the building with the astroturf backyard?
Kitten With A Whip
FlyRod said:

There is a new BBQ joint on 60, about where it crosses the Brazos. If you're going west, it's on the left. Texas Pit BBQ LLC or something similar. Appeared to be open when I drove past today.
Menu and pricing.

Broncos
carpe vinum said:

Isn't that the building with the astroturf backyard?

I believe so. A few people have claimed to know what it is but haven't said.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Is it part of the City View Southwest development?
law80
AG
By the concrete yard? If so it will be three things. I believe the 2 outside areas are going to be a BBQ place and then opposite end an upscale wine bar. Haven't heard what the middle business is going to be yet.
RafterAg223
AG
It's "The Yard" at Caprock Crossing. The 2 endcaps will in fact feature a Texas craft restaurant concept and an upscale wine bar/wine retail establishment. All tenants in that building will have large patio spaces overlooking the common green space where live music will likely happen and kids can run around and play while the parents enjoy their food/beverages. 2 additional buildings will be a part of that project. Uses in those will range from medical/professional office to fitness and other lifestyle uses.
Average Joe
AG
I don't know where the current Trader Joes rumors are, but we stopped at the on in the Woodlands on the way back and the cashier said that we are getting one soon. Take it for whatever you want, but she sounded very confident that it was happening.
jac4
AG
Average Joe said:

I don't know where the current Trader Joes rumors are, but we stopped at the on in the Woodlands on the way back and the cashier said that we are getting one soon. Take it for whatever you want, but she sounded very confident that it was happening.

I'm waiting to hear it from aggiegrant or the Fishpond manager before I get my hopes up.
momlaw
AG
Almost two years ago the Cinco TJ manager told me it was sooner rather than later.... like job posting, etc.

I'm still bootlegging, although much better from Texas stores than east and west coasts.
momlaw
Tailgate88
AG
RafterAg223 said:

It's "The Yard" at Caprock Crossing. The 2 endcaps will in fact feature a Texas craft restaurant concept and an upscale wine bar/wine retail establishment. All tenants in that building will have large patio spaces overlooking the common green space where live music will likely happen and kids can run around and play while the parents enjoy their food/beverages. 2 additional buildings will be a part of that project. Uses in those will range from medical/professional office to fitness and other lifestyle uses.

Sweet!
Captn_Ag05
AG
The last Trader Joe's rumor I heard was that it was going to be in the base of a new 5-6 story building with apartments above where Hurricane Harry's currently is. But that's been over a year.

I could see it doing well at Century Square in the yet-to-be-developed lot at University and College (next to Mo's). That would require Century Square to figure out a better parking plan, however.
JMac03
AG
On the patio of Hopdoddy for the 2nd time tonight. Yesterday after movie at Star Cinema, today I came out here specifically to eat on the patio. To bring my non-vested,non-medical pup I was impressed Hopdoddy had dog treats and water bowls for dogs out front of their door.

Broncos
But, you had to pay for parking!
JMac03
AG
Broncos said:

But, you had to pay for parking!
A whole dollar!

I do think $5 for 2 hrs is bunk. I assume it's to keep students from parking there but that is ridiculous IMO. We were there 1 hr 20 min, more because the waitress was slow as **** at the end. I only paid an hour for parking.
JMac03
AG
But I will say, I will gladly pay for parking to have the kid(s) be able to play while I eat. That's one of the reasons we frequent Mad Taco, Lupe Tortilla, etc. Had these places been around when my child was a toddler we would have been in heaven.
Cyp0111
I understand the parking issues. However, at night time there are no classes so they shouldn't charge for parking.
Chris98
AG
Looks like Coopers BBQ is on the way- Hwy 6 @ Pavilion Ave.
bushytailed
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I understand the parking issues. However, at night time there are no classes so they shouldn't charge for parking.

There absolutely are evening classes. Not as many as 8-5, but there are plenty. There are also a ton of on-campus student activities at night.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.