BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

709,263 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed re Poppy...the first real small plates place BCS has had, and a better-than-average wine list. Have had great fun taking out of towners there.
FlyRod
Quote:

Eventually they need to put a few older crowd bars in Downtown Bryan

Margie's Bar & Grill has an older crowd...median age seems to be about 82.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Saw on KBTX that a place called Dragon's Breath is now open in Post Oak. They serve cereal balls frozen by liquid nitrogen.
carpe vinum
AG
Huh. I didn't know there was a big demand for that.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Me either. Probably due to the social media popularity

Quote:

After popping a cereal ball into your mouth, a liquid nitrogen fog streams out of your nose or mouth. This is probably where the treat got its "Dragon's Breath" name.

Colorful photos of the foggy snack have popped up on Instagram, causing virtual heads to turn.

FlyRod
Post Oak Mall seems like an appropriate location for this business.
halibut sinclair
http://www.latimes.com/food/sns-dailymeal-1856028-eat-trendy-liquid-nitrogen-dragon-s-breath-dessert-hospitalizes-14-year-old-103117-20171031-story.html
LightningDammitt
AG
halibut sinclair said:

http://www.latimes.com/food/sns-dailymeal-1856028-eat-trendy-liquid-nitrogen-dragon-s-breath-dessert-hospitalizes-14-year-old-103117-20171031-story.html
As usual, if you try to idiot proof something, the idiots get.... "better"...

"In both cases of injury, the customers apparently did not follow the instructions correctly, according to a spokesperson for The Pensacola Interstate Fair."
motherrunnersBCS
Really want to go to Poppy's, but they just got dinged on their health rating, something under 80. Serving seafood, especially, I hope you have your temperature and cleanliness under control.
B2BCS15
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Easy access form Rock Prairie, a large development going up close by, BSW in the backyard...I think the location will be just fine.

Question for owner - will the location have delivery?
I definitely like getting some feedback as we go! There are definitely a lot of great locations around town (and +/- to all of them), but I also wanted to pick a spot that will leave me opportunity to potentially open more locations down the road. With BSW, The Med, HWY6 traffic and a ton of rooftops in the 3mi radius, I'm thinking this location should be pretty convenient for a lot of folks. I think once people realize how easy it'll be to get in/out (especially compared to fighting traffic/poor design in Kroger lot), and hopefully when everyone realizes that we truly offer a superior sandwich, it'll be a hit! Another benefit will be ability to use the U-turns at RP and Barron to expedite process of skipping lights as well!

JM doesn't offer in-house delivery at this time but I'll be teaming up with local delivery services and I'll also be looking at all my options to make things as easy as possibly for my customers. We will have 2 parking spots directly in front of the door that will service the call-in/internet pickup orders.

Captn_Ag05
AG
I got a Facebook invite to some band playing at Mo's Irish Pub on May 10. So, I assume that means that they will be opening sometime in the next couple of weeks. With Star Cinema Grill and Subzero opening in the first week of May also, things should be getting pretty packed at Century Square. Thankfully the parking garage will be open soon.
Tailgate88
AG
Two things...

Construction is coming along at RX Pizza south, and they have a porch! Outdoor eating fans rejoice for another option!

Finally got to Honolulu Poke today and will definitely be back. The "regular" size included a very generous portion of fish (tuna and salmon were my choices) plus several other veggies. They have a good variety to choose from. If you like poke (or sushi) you should enjoy it. Everything was fresh and delicious, the service was quick and courteous, and at around $10 (I upgraded to seaweed salad) it was reasonable for a sushi lunch.
JayHowdy!
Tailgate88 said:

Two things...

Construction is coming along at RX Pizza south, and they have a porch! Outdoor eating fans rejoice for another option!

Finally got to Aloha Poke today and will definitely be back. The "regular" size included a very generous portion of fish (tuna and salmon were my choices) plus several other veggies. They have a good variety to choose from. If you like poke (or sushi) you should enjoy it. Everything was fresh and delicious, the service was quick and courteous, and at around $10 (I upgraded to seaweed salad) it was reasonable for a sushi lunch.
Where is Aloha Poke? I know where Honolulu Poke House is. (Kohl's shopping center)
emtes
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Saw on KBTX that a place called Dragon's Breath is now open in Post Oak. They serve cereal balls frozen by liquid nitrogen.
I give it 6 months or so. The KBTX spot made me want to try it even less.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Agree - they take cereal that they admit isn't very good and freeze it with liquid nitrogen and then put sno cone liquid on it. I guess there is some appeal because it looks cool, but once you have done it, I can't imagine people going back.
B$Weigem
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Agree - they take cereal that they admit isn't very good and freeze it with liquid nitrogen and then put sno cone liquid on it. I guess there is some appeal because it looks cool, but once you have done it, I can't imagine people going back.
Sounds like a one-hit wonder kind of ordeal.
CactusThomas
AG
Sounds asinine.

I'll give it a try.
JaneDoe02
AG
I drove by Golden Corral today and it looks like they've taken it down to studs. That's quite the remodel.

DBSwooper
JaneDoe02 said:

I drove by Golden Corral today and it looks like they've taken it down to studs. That's quite the remodel.

Doing what it takes to get all the bacon fat out.
dave99ag
AG
The chocolate fountain shall rise again!
Oogway
Mostly I'm crossing my fingers that the Philly is legit. I have been teased before by promises of a superb Philly only to have my hopes dashed.....
Tailgate88
AG
My bad, fixed now. Honolulu is right.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plans for Sandy's Bar and Grill. They will have six sand volleyball courts in addition to the restaurant and bar. To be located off Shiloh in Bryan.

http://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/sdrc/2018%20SDRC/4-24-18/CU18-05%20Site%20Plan,%2004-24-18.pdf
Captn_Ag05
AG
City of CS development submissions this week include the site plan for Walk-ons, which will be located next to Saltgrass, and a 115 home development called Wellborn Settlement between Wellborn and Royder.
KidDoc
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

City of CS development submissions this week include the site plan for Walk-ons, which will be located next to Saltgrass, and a 115 home development called Wellborn Settlement between Wellborn and Royder.
WOw Saltgrass is north College Station now (they originally said "North College Station" for location)?

I'm happy with that location as far as my personal use but it would be better fitted in North Gate similar to the one in Baton Rouge that is in walking distance of campus.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Oogway
Maybe the $$$ of 'North' CS land & leasing costs made them reassess? Sprawl is cheap in the short run.
CEAg78
AG
Oogway said:

Mostly I'm crossing my fingers that the Philly is legit. I have been teased before by promises of a superb Philly only to have my hopes dashed.....
I had a Philly cheesesteak in Philly at one of the prime spots that left me underwhelmed. I think it was the Cheez Whiz.

Maybe I just don't like them.

Love Philadelphia though.
Oogway
Cheez Whiz is all kinds of wrong on that type of sandwich, IMO and I know what you mean. If I am starving then it's a make do, but yeah, I don't care for that style. It's popular and used a lot but not my fave. The first one I ever had used real cheese and I guess that has been my standard ever since.
Captn_Ag05
AG
KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

WOw Saltgrass is north College Station now (they originally said "North College Station" for location)?

I'm happy with that location as far as my personal use but it would be better fitted in North Gate similar to the one in Baton Rouge that is in walking distance of campus.
I was certainly surprised with the location. But, with Saltgrass, Walk-ons, and Gringos all going in a row, it is a nice collection of restaurants (granted all chains).
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I was certainly surprised with the location. But, with Saltgrass, Walk-ons, and Gringos all going in a row, it is a nice collection of restaurants (granted all chains).
Restaurant Row South.
Geop84
AG
Does anyone know what is going to be built at Bush and Wellborn? They are grading the lot where they tore down the old apartments.

I looked but couldn't find it on the front page.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I don't think they are putting anything there due to the overpass, or whatever it is, to be constructed at that intersection.

Having that torn down will is so nice. Talk about an eyesore.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plans for Sandy's Bar and Grill. They will have six sand volleyball courts in addition to the restaurant and bar. To be located off Shiloh in Bryan.

http://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/sdrc/2018%20SDRC/4-24-18/CU18-05%20Site%20Plan,%2004-24-18.pdf

Looks like a fun place, reminds me Ricky Miller's old place back in the day...located next to Wolf Creek Car Wash...

Anyway, this is actually also off Harvey Rd north of Copperfield.
KidDoc
AG
Geop84 said:

Does anyone know what is going to be built at Bush and Wellborn? They are grading the lot where they tore down the old apartments.

I looked but couldn't find it on the front page.
My understanding is they are doing an underpass like the other campus roads at Wellborn but I have no proof of this. If it is an underpass I think the plan is to build nothing but roads in that spot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Geop84
AG
Ahh, thanks. I drive that intersection every day coming and going to work and am dreading when they do the big overhaul of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.