BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

709,423 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
IndieAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jersey Mike's website has a bunch of new shops opening all over the USA. The ones that are closest to being ready show forecast dates stretching out to the end of 2018. The rest of them show "Opening Soon!" Unfortunately that includes the new CS shop. Bummer.
Turf-Ag02
AG
Not sure if I overlooked this, but what is projected to be at the corner of 2818 and Holleman?
RGRAg1/75
AG
IndieAggie said:

Jersey Mike's website has a bunch of new shops opening all over the USA. The ones that are closest to being ready show forecast dates stretching out to the end of 2018. The rest of them show "Opening Soon!" Unfortunately that includes the new CS shop. Bummer.

WTH??? Let's get this thing going! The one fast food chain that's supposedly coming I'm actually excited about.
techno-ag
AG
KBTX on Lululemon & Sabi Boutique opening in Century Square:

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Fitness-brand-lululemon-and-Sabi-Boutique-opening-Century-Square-locations-492885131.html
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
Captn_Ag05
AG
With Clean Juice, Lululemon, and Sabi, it looks like 24 of the 48 retail spots are filled at Century Square. Is a second parking garage in the plans - perhaps next to the failed 24 hour emergency place and across from where MESS Waffles is going? Seems like parking will be even more of an issue as more locations go in.
gus1390
AG
Wade and Mary Beckman (Shipwreck Grill and Amico Nave) are opening a new counter service restaurant in downtown Bryan called 3rd on Main
Rex Racer
AG
Picadillo said:

Tried Mr Hamburger this week. Best burgers, fries and onion rings in town, bar none. Fresh Angus beef never frozen, nicely charred, etc, etc. On Texas just north of Jose's.
Well, I guess since Top of the Hill is in Benchley and Harvey Washbanger's is in College Station, I'll allow it.

Then again, I haven't had a burger from Mr. Hamburger yet, so I'll reserve judgment.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
gus1390 said:

Wade and Mary Beckman (Shipwreck Grill and Amico Nave) are opening a new counter service restaurant in downtown Bryan called 3rd on Main

Like the old pharmacy lunch counters with milk shakes and greasy burgers??
AG
Pretty hyped for the new HEB to open tomorrow. Karla Castillo from KBTX is there for their ribbon cutting today.

SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
For various reasons, HEB can just frustrate the **** out of me at times

That being said, they are the kings of retail grocery in Texas and 2nd place isn't close
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

In what ways? My only complaint about them is that they don't have enough non-express lines open in the evenings, and their peanut butter machines break all the time. I love pretty much everything else.
76Ag
AG
We only go there if necessary. There are too many people there in the stores here in Katy. They bring the whole family and make it difficult to get down the aisles.
nought
AG
bobinator said:

Pretty hyped for the new HEB to open tomorrow.

I hear you, but I do wonder why this HEB is being done like everyone had hoped the Tower Point HEB would be done. Tower Point seems like the ideal location for the fancy, upscale HEB with amenities out the wazoo. Why can't SoSoCo have the nice things?
bobinator
AG
Maybe they know that you SoSoCo people don't appreciate nice things and would complain about it anyway. Us SoMidTo and NoSoCo people are more grateful.
Geop84
AG
It took me 3 cycles to get through the light at Balcones (new light on Wellborn by the HEB) this morning. I was planning on stopping on my way home from work to scope out the new HEB, but not if it is that crazy.
nought
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe they know that you SoSoCo people don't appreciate nice things and would complain about it anyway. Us SoMidTo and NoSoCo people are more grateful.
But this forum on TexAgs wouldn't have much of a reason to exist without all of our complaining.

Besides, we only complain about the disappointment of what Tower Point could/should have been. We're rather happy with how Caprock Crossing has turned out.
isitjustme
AG
nought said:

bobinator said:

Pretty hyped for the new HEB to open tomorrow.

I hear you, but I do wonder why this HEB is being done like everyone had hoped the Tower Point HEB would be done. Tower Point seems like the ideal location for the fancy, upscale HEB with amenities out the wazoo. Why can't SoSoCo have the nice things?
SoSoCo can't have nice things b/c it's just, y'know, so-so. You get stuck with things that are just average, or ok, or, so-so, but not nice or good or great. Tough break for you guys.
DBSwooper
76Ag said:

We only go there if necessary. There are too many people there in the stores here in Katy. They bring the whole family and make it difficult to get down the aisles.

Curbside for the win.
IndieAggie
AG
"In what ways?"

Well, for one thing, they design their parking lot turn-ins and spaces for people driving Priuses and (apparently) motorized golf carts. Try navigating those in a full size 4x4 pickup. This is Texas, for crying out loud, not the Bushwood Country Club caddy shack. I often find a reason not to go to the Tower Point HEB just because of that.
nought
AG
IndieAggie said:

Well, for one thing, they design their parking lot turn-ins and spaces for people driving Priuses and (apparently) motorized golf carts. Try navigating those in a full size 4x4 pickup. This is Texas, for crying out loud, not the Bushwood Country Club caddy shack. I often find a reason not to go to the Tower Point HEB just because of that.
The worst is the Lowe's off of Fitch with their diamond-shaped tree planter things between every other set of parking spaces. They make HEB's parking spots seem big enough for a double-wide.
bobinator
AG
I hate the Rock Prairie Kroger parking lot that has angled spaces but two-way traffic.
Wicked Good Ag
I like Kroger over HEB in produce and of course fuel points but we will go to each. Kroger is closer but not enough to make it a priority.
Geop84
AG
I braved it and stopped at the new HEB. Very impressive store and I even saw Scott, the owner of HEB, over in the dairy section. They rolled it all out for the grand opening. The plant section is wonderful, I got some tomato plants for fall tomatoes for my garden and some herbs. Lots and lots of fresh prepared foods. The wine/beer section is awesome. Today is a great day to go, lots of wine and beer tastings. They even have a self dispense wine tasting machine. I can see lots of stops on the way home in my futures. And as you leave, you get a free sausage on a stick!!!
FlyRod
I've never seen so much red snapper in one place before...at least around here.
SpartanAg1618
AG
Was traffic still as bad when you went? I waited through the light this morning about three times and was hoping it was just due to the accident that occurred right before I approached.
Geop84
AG
It wasn't too bad. We must have gone through the light about the same time this morning, I had the same problem. The lot was pretty full, but the store is so big it didn't feel crowded inside.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Counterpoint said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

In what ways? My only complaint about them is that they don't have enough non-express lines open in the evenings, and their peanut butter machines break all the time. I love pretty much everything else.

I'm also stunned that the Tower Point HEB STILL does not have any self-checkout lanes. That is so mind-boggling.

There have been countless times I need to run in for one or two items and end up having to wait in their 15-item or less line. Even the Kroger on RP has 7 or 8 self-checkout terminals.
AggieBarstool
Quote:

Today is a great day to go, lots of wine and beer tastings. They even have a self dispense wine tasting machine. I can see lots of stops on the way home in my futures. And as you leave, you get a free sausage on a stick!!!
Where the heck were all those niceties when I went by at 7:30?
bobinator
AG
We went at about 7, there were a lot of samplings, but we didn't see any sausage on a stick.

Liked the layout of the store though.
Oogway
We went (HEB) last evening around 9:30. It was packed. While groceries have a narrow profit margin, I would love to know what yesterday's take was and how many customers they had walk through the doors.
Wicked Good Ag
Went by HEB during an early lunch. Liked that this one has self checkout and the prepared foods area is huge and if the two we got are any good this might be an option for single dinners. Produce area I still like Kroger although the HEB has some more obscure option available
Prices on name brands are a bit more expensive than Kroger but wife likes a lot of HEB store brands so that sometimes offsets the costs. Fuel points still a big plus for Kroger especially with 4x fuel points on gift cards currently.
techno-ag
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/macy-s-to-celebrate-new-discount-outlet-at-post-oak/article_786a7652-74bc-55f7-952e-4e39c964d1cd.amp.html

Quote:

The new Macy's Backstage will open at 9 a.m. within Macy's. The store is described by the retailer as a cross between and outlet and a department store, with a smaller format designed to highlight new products and the best deals.

Prices on the merchandise will be 20 percent to 80 percent off comparable department store prices, the retailer said in a news release announcing the venture.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Which produce items are you finding lower prices at Kroger?
AG
techno-ag said:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/macy-s-to-celebrate-new-discount-outlet-at-post-oak/article_786a7652-74bc-55f7-952e-4e39c964d1cd.amp.html

Quote:

The new Macy's Backstage will open at 9 a.m. within Macy's. The store is described by the retailer as a cross between and outlet and a department store, with a smaller format designed to highlight new products and the best deals.

Prices on the merchandise will be 20 percent to 80 percent off comparable department store prices, the retailer said in a news release announcing the venture.

Should we view this as 1) good news that Macy's is investing in the store or 2) concern that this is a last ditch effort to improve sales?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.