BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

710,013 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

New apartments to go in at Arrington and Old Arrington, close to Blue Baker.
Just what that intersection needs.
What high school will that be zoned to? Maybe they will age restrict (21+) the apartments there to keep college kids out.

Captn_Ag05
AG
The map for Century Square has been updated and includes Harvest Coffee. It is showing up in the location that was previously designated for French Fry Heaven. Not sure if that FFH fell through or is just going in a different location.
rc_cat
Captn_Ag05 said:

The map for Century Square has been updated and includes Harvest Coffee. It is showing up in the location that was previously designated for French Fry Heaven. Not sure if that FFH fell through or is just going in a different location.
That sucks if it fell through - saw the guy behind it on "Guy's Grocery Games" and was looking forward to trying it.

Oh, and didn't see it on the first page, but it may be in here already - 5 Below is opening May 25 between Best Buy and Office Depot.
Oogway
Looks like the zoning will be:
Forest Ridge Elem
Pecan Trail Int
Wellborn MS
CSHS

but as always, one ought to check addresses with the District, mileage may vary.

Any news on Jersey Mikes off Rock Prairie?
Cyp0111
Looks like berry hill is no longer on the Century Square website
Captn_Ag05
AG
Good catch. That's disappointing.
Cyp0111
I would call it a positive. Berry hill was an odd choice with sub standard food. Hopefully they're able to bring in a better concept.

Berry hill would not have made it vs the competition.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Maybe so. I guess by disappointing I more meant general disappointment that one of the originally announced tenants has pulled out. Combined with slow openings and zero new announcements in months, it feels like the project has lost a bit of steam.
iParty
AG
Their ridiculous lease rates, paid parking, lack of drainage, inabilty to meet timelines, a tense public-private relationship and Midway's terrible decision making have all helped the project lose some steam.

jja79
AG
Better slow and deliberate than to bring in businesses destined to fail. Honestly I didn't know Berryhill was still in business. The ones I'm familiar with around Houston have shut down.
RafterAg223
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Rapier108 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

New apartments to go in at Arrington and Old Arrington, close to Blue Baker.
Just what that intersection needs.
What high school will that be zoned to? Maybe they will age restrict (21+) the apartments there to keep college kids out.

None of the luxury apartments being built in South College Station are being designed and constructed with college students in mind. These new projects are all leased by the unit instead of by the bed and 1 bedroom apartments are going in the neighborhood of $1,000 per month. People down here get fixated way too much on college students when they hear the term apartment thrown around. Starter home affordability is not the greatest in this town right now and there are more young working people and families in transition coming in to the market every day. My wife and I had to live in apartments in Park Hudson for a couple years before we were able to put a down payment on our home 15 years ago. Quick tours of the major metropolitan areas in this state will show that not all apartments evil and many even reside amongst white collar neighborhoods in close proximity to many seven figure homes.
Cyp0111
I would say the project has done a good job with the restaurant components. The retail sector is a tough space right now. Midway also goes over the top at times (parking) which hurts tenants. The triple net costs also suck the air out.

halibut sinclair
Per their Facebook page, Kolache Rolf on Wellborn is permanently closing.
tonytx05
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Per their Facebook page, Kolache Rolf on Wellborn is permanently closing.
There's a kolache Rolf on Wellborn?
Oogway
Awww man, I was just in there a few days ago. I know the AC was broken, which must have been hard on the employees, but they always seemed to do okay during the school year.

Did they say why? Makes you wonder if the property management is lousy. (Broken ac, some empty store fronts there. ) I never have any issues getting in and out of there as far as traffic so it was a good location for me.
OnlyANobody
Oogway said:

Awww man, I was just in there a few days ago. I know the AC was broken, which must have been hard on the employees, but they always seemed to do okay during the school year.

Did they say why? Makes you wonder if the property management is lousy. (Broken ac, some empty store fronts there. ) I never have any issues getting in and out of there as far as traffic so it was a good location for me.
Unfortunately, unless the lease is negotiated carefully, tenants are responsible for HVAC repairs in many cases. It's a lousy thing and a bonus for the landlord, but leases are written by and for landlords....
techno-ag
AG
OnlyANobody said:

Oogway said:

Unfortunately, unless the leas ite is negotiated carefully, tenants are responsible for HVAC repairs in many cases. It's a lousy thing and a bonus for the landlord, but leases are written by and for landlords....
Yup. Doesn't help the landlord sometimes, though. In this case they'll have to repair the AC themselves in order to get another tenant.

Summers are rough around here.
halibut sinclair
AgsWin2011
AG
I feel like I'm one of the few that likes Kolache Rolf's. Anytime I ever went to the one on Wellborn, there was never anyone there.
Captn_Ag05
AG
That whole center has never really taken off. Maybe with new development in that area of town businesses will move slowly in and and be able to survive there.
Costa and Andreas
posted to wrong thread, sorry
ratfacemcdougal
Knew someone that looked at that center to lease....CRAZY terms. He went somewhere else.
Cyp0111
Which center
ratfacemcdougal
The place where Kolache Rolf was on Wellborn
ChampsAg
That may be the most Aggieland board answer I've seen in a long time
chloelee
Small Cakes sign up by Minuti Coffee.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Finally something else going in there. Hard to believe how long all those spots have remained empty.
ethridgem
AG
Went to the Ronin grand opening and 5 Knocks on Saturday.

Ronin: not much to report. They invited 400+ people to the opening, but the place is entirely too small for that many people. I was there with a group of about 6 people and none of us got to try any of the food. The food was waiter-passed, but never made it to the side of the restaurant where we were hanging out. They do have a nice wine list and a great atmosphere, so I will definitely be back to give the place an honest try. I think they just got a better response to the invite than what they really expected to show.

5 Knocks: excellent experience. There's a certain mystique to searching for the place and, once finding it, gaining admission. Nicely apportioned, comfy seating, and great prohibition-era cocktails. I'll be returning for sure.
FlyRod
Was there as well (Ronin), and that review nicely sums up my experience. Will def be back.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plans submitted to the CoCS today for At Home in the old Gander spot. I guess it is official!
Cyp0111
That is a really good reuse of that location. I imagine the Academy will become a Specs.
KidDoc
AG
Cyp0111 said:

That is a really good reuse of that location. I imagine the Academy will become a Specs.
That would be surprising considering there is a large specs one exit down on University.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe the speculation on the old Academy is a Total Wine. I am pretty sure some Total Wines have a pretty decent selection of snacks, cheeses, crackers, meats, etc. If it is a Total Wine, I hope they have that additional selection.
Cyp0111
Total Wines blows Specs out of the water. Price, selection, store design etc. all are all far superior. Great selections of all products.
techno-ag
AG
KBTX says new South CS Rx Pizza open on Greens Prairie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.