BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

709,949 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
snaglepuss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Deere Landscape is coming back from Site1?
DBSwooper
snaglepuss said:

Site 1 across the street has a sign up saying it'll be available soon (had a date, dont remember)
gopitt
I have never seen such explosive growth such as B/CS is experiencing right now. The developments are off the charts. Building cranes everywhere.
This sleepy college town is sleepy no longer.
NightHawk150
AG
gopitt said:

I have never seen such explosive growth such as B/CS is experiencing right now. The developments are off the charts. Building cranes everywhere.

Howdy Aggieland, welcome to the SEC!
The Brazos Kid
It's a nifty place. I was in there to shoot a music video for an area band 2 Sunday's ago. Obviously it wasn't open since we didn't have crowd releases etc.

Small, dark yet has a cool vintage vibe. I thought Al Capone himself was going to stop by.

Edit to add: "Talking about 5 Knocks bar"
aggiepaintrain
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Big-Shots-Golf-could-be-coming-to-south-College-Station-489586711.html
FJB
Captn_Ag05
AG
It's happening
Dennis Reynolds
DBSwooper said:

snaglepuss said:

Site 1 across the street has a sign up saying it'll be available soon (had a date, dont remember)
January 2019, I believe.
JMac03
AG
I'm an idiot. I shared this thinking they were announcing they were opening up a new location. Then I realized just now this is the one at Tower Point area.

JMac03
AG
So I went to 1541 today. I ordered an iced latte with salted caramel. (I didn't know what to order). I think it is really good. It has a good aroma but isn't overpowering. Their blueberry muffin was really good too.

I ordered a drip coffee for a coworker so we will see what she thinks. I think my issue is that I use flavored creamer, so I'm not sure I would ever appreciate the true flavor of the beans.
KidDoc
AG
I am pumped about Big Shots, I was browsing their website and their tech seems pretty slick. I especially like the use of doppler to track the ball shots on the screen so I can see exactly how awful my slice is in real time!

I heard from a friend who went by Five Knocks that it is a smoking friendly environment, that is frustrating for me and my wife we don't like being stuck in small spaces inhaling second hand smoke. Ah well c'est la vie!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ethridgem
AG
KidDoc said:

I heard from a friend who went by Five Knocks that it is a smoking friendly environment, that is frustrating for me and my wife we don't like being stuck in small spaces inhaling second hand smoke. Ah well c'est la vie!
If I recall correctly, they only allow cigar smoking, if that makes a difference to y'all.
Broncos
aggiepaintrain said:

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Big-Shots-Golf-could-be-coming-to-south-College-Station-489586711.html

It looks like my source was actually right a few months ago.
theycallmemrtibbs
NightHawk150 said:

gopitt said:

What does the SEC have to do with it??
Captn_Ag05
AG
Which design do you think we will get?

Our smallest size is approximately 16,000 square feet in total for the building and has 30 Tee Boxes (15 Tee Boxes on each floor). It has a smaller sized bar with a full kitchen and outdoor deck.

Our medium-sized model is built with 42 Tee Boxes (21 Tee Boxes on each floor) and contains over 32,000 square feet of building space. In this facility size, your guests can enjoy a full-service restaurant and bar with fully equipped kitchen, VIP bar, and event rooms. A facility of this size is suitable for medium sized markets.

The largest sized building features 60 Tee Boxes (30 Tee Boxes on each floor) contains over 52,000 square feet of building space. This model size includes a full-service restaurant and bar with fully equipped kitchen, VIP bar, event rooms, and outside patio. This facility size is appropriate for larger cities.
techno-ag
AG
ethridgem said:

KidDoc said:

If I recall correctly, they only allow cigar smoking, if that makes a difference to y'all.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
KidDoc
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Our smallest size is approximately 16,000 square feet in total for the building and has 30 Tee Boxes (15 Tee Boxes on each floor). It has a smaller sized bar with a full kitchen and outdoor deck.

Our medium-sized model is built with 42 Tee Boxes (21 Tee Boxes on each floor) and contains over 32,000 square feet of building space. In this facility size, your guests can enjoy a full-service restaurant and bar with fully equipped kitchen, VIP bar, and event rooms. A facility of this size is suitable for medium sized markets.

The largest sized building features 60 Tee Boxes (30 Tee Boxes on each floor) contains over 52,000 square feet of building space. This model size includes a full-service restaurant and bar with fully equipped kitchen, VIP bar, event rooms, and outside patio. This facility size is appropriate for larger cities.
My money is on 42 for the VIP boxes. I could see them used with recruiting among other business type events.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ethridgem
AG
KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

My money is on 42 for the VIP boxes. I could see them used with recruiting among other business type events.
I think I agree. Given the projected growth, the propensity for golf, and the affluence of both the local population and the students, the 42-box option seems reasonable for us. Plus, it'll draw folks in from surrounding areas, maybe even as far as Cypress/Northwest Houston/Spring/etc.
KidDoc
AG
ethridgem said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I think I agree. Given the projected growth, the propensity for golf, and the affluence of both the local population and the students, the 42-box option seems reasonable for us. Plus, it'll draw folks in from surrounding areas, maybe even as far as Cypress/Northwest Houston/Spring/etc.
I doubt the draw from Cypress or Spring. Easier for them to head down to Top Golf on I10 or the Conroe location. I will say the Conroe location was really poorly made as it faces directly into the blazing setting sun in the afternoon/evening all summer long with zero shade in the bays. The Katy freeway one faces east so is not bad at all in the afternoon.

Now we will get people from Magnolia/Hempstead/Caldwell/etc.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I hope this helps Jones Crossing attract some quality tenants. That section of town could really take off.
dave99ag
AG
I wonder if you get extra points for hitting a train or make it over to the HEB parking lot?
NightHawk150
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

NightHawk150 said:

gopitt said:

What does the SEC have to do with it??
Lots.

Think about it... yes, A&M was growing before, but it has accelerated ever since our transition.

The visibility and the recognition of the university have sky rocketed since we joined. All the construction projects on campus, which ends up trickling down to the city through new apartments and restaurants from the influx of students, visitors, and corporations that choose to host events, trainings, and recruitments here.

It may not be a direct influence, but you cannot dispute that the move to the SEC hasn't help out the University and Bryan College Station.
bobinator
AG
I will dispute that. I don't think moving to the SEC has had any measurable long-term impact on B/CS.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
bobinator said:

I will dispute that. I don't think moving to the SEC has had any measurable long-term impact on B/CS.

If we consistently sell more tickets to sporting events is that a good measure?
bobinator
AG
Not really unless you're also making the argument that they wouldn't have expanded Kyle Field if we stayed in the Big 12 or something. I think tickets sold is more a reflection of if our team is any good or not. I guess you could do a hypothetical if we weren't going to the SEC then Sherman doesn't get fired, Johnny doesn't play, our 2012 season is trash, etc, etc.

It's obviously had some impact, especially probably the first time we play an opponent that we haven't played here before.

But I don't think it's much of a long term impact. I think the town was going to explode anyway in large part due to the work the cities have done to bring more jobs here, the expansion of the university itself and a host of other things that don't have anything to do with what conference the football team plays in.
Bobo18
If we don't move to the SEC our status as the "It" school in Texas wouldn't have happened. The money and attention that we have received since 2012 has been integral in the growth of the university and town. Idk why so many older ags refuse to accept this but it seems to be pretty common.
bobinator
AG
I think maybe you could say that the move to the SEC was indicative of Texas A&M taking a more bold approach across a number of fronts and that the town has already reflected that, but that's a correlation, not a causation.

I love the move to the SEC, and I think it's done a lot for the football program and the university in the last few years, I just don't think it's had a big impact on our town.

In an alternate reality where A&M is still in the Big 12 I don't think Bryan/College Station would be much different.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Bobo18 said:

If we don't move to the SEC our status as the "It" school in Texas wouldn't have happened. The money and attention that we have received since 2012 has been integral in the growth of the university and town. Idk why so many older ags refuse to accept this but it seems to be pretty common.
Not wading into the SEC discussion, but just wanted to say please don't call bobinator an older ag. I think I am pretty much the same age as him.
bobinator
AG
I was just going to let that go. But then I thought it might be kind of funny if that was like the dividing line for old now. If you were at A&M for the Fran era or before YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN.

At any rate, this definitely isn't the thread for that conversation anyway, and it's mostly academic, but I've lived in BCS for more than a decade now and I think it was growing quickly even before we joined the SEC which is why I don't think that decision itself changed much for the future of our little slice of Texas.
NeverBunt
aggiepaintrain said:

Has anyone visited one of their locations? I'm assuming its very similar to Topgolf but the only pictures I can find on google seem to be renderings. Excited none the less!
Doug Glatt
AG
bobinator said:

I think maybe you could say that the move to the SEC was indicative of Texas A&M taking a more fearless approach across a number of fronts and that the town has already reflected that, but that's a correlation, not a causation.

I love the move to the SEC, and I think it's done a lot for the football program and the university in the last few years, I just don't think it's had a big impact on our town.

In an alternate reality where A&M is still in the Big 12 I don't think Bryan/College Station would be much different.

fify
australopithecus robustus
I've lived in BCS all my life. Attended TAMU and have never left.

The SEC move and it's resultant ripple effect represent the biggest shift in growth and momentum in acknowledgment that this area has seen.
bobinator
AG
I think my argument though is that the move to the SEC was more indicative of a larger shift within Texas A&M and the Texas A&M system and the people around it than it was the catalyst for it.

Like I think we made the move because a big shift in mindset was already happening in Aggieland, I don't think the move caused the big shift if that makes sense.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Correlation is not necessarily causation.
Bobo18
I just wanted to apologize to all for the old comment. I'm new to Texags and don't want to get on anyone's bad side. I love this thread and learn so much from y'all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.