Womens Tennis 2023

240,927 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Chapa96
Anchorhold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Personally I blame whoever handed us the regular season trophy yesterday. Should have been today in a dual ceremony.
Anchorhold
Jayci and Salma make the all-tournament team.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm gonna need Russell to up his support game a bit moving forward. Lol
Harry Dunne
Well the good news is that no one in the field is invincible. We are one of 4 or 5 teams that has a legitimate shot to win it all and if anyone told you last summer that we would be the SEC champion & #2 seed in the NCAA tournament you'd have taken that in a heartbeat.

So you just have to take all that at face value and feel good about it and go kick some ass in the tournament.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Tough loss.

We definitely missed Carson today. Almost 0 chance we lose doubles with her and that moves Mia to #4, where she would have won, and Jayci to #5, where she still would have won. Add that to Mary's win and the doubles point and that's four plus Salma and Daria having great chances. It's almost impossible to make up for losing a player of that caliber.

That said, no reason to sulk. We've had an amazing season, won the SEC regular season championship, and now have a chance for an NCAA title with our highest seeding ever.
Anchorhold
bigfoot10s said:

I have it on good authority that there will be an SEC Womens Tennis Champion shirt available on 12thmanshop.com this Sunday 4/23

looking for help on a link...
aggiedrjdub
AG
Oh definitely not hanging my head. I'm super proud of the team. When you've only lost 3-4 matches in the last 2.5 years it's kind of hard to know how to feel. Haha.

I'm curious, though. Clearly we need to win the doubles point against any of the top 3-4 teams. What is the solution at line 3? Is it just a given that it is what is is, or do we have no other options? I realize we won't be changing anything with lines 1 and 2. Second question, when you play a team with deep singles like NC, NCState, Georgia, do we play with the bottom of the lineup or are we at the point in the season to where coach Weaver goes with what's gotten us here. For example, clearly, against Georgia we match up well at lines 1-4, but they have our number at 5-6. So we just study film, watch their patterns and hope to execute better? This weekend was A LOT of tennis for both A&M and Georgia, but, gosh, you have to believe Jeannette should be beating that girl at line 6, and if the matchup isn't suitable does coach weaver make a change? Flip 5 and 6? Give Pielet a look?

Matches like these will really benefit the freshmen and sophomores. You have to think coach will be looking for some experienced players coming in out of the portal or more grad transfers that can fill some holes.

Anyway. No hate here at all. I'm just posing these questions for discussion.

And if any of the players are reading this, damn, we are so proud. We finally have a team to look forward to consistently winning. Hallelujah! Haha Gig'em!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Also, did Mary turn her game around or what after a disappointing opening singles loss? Dang. 1 and 1 and 2 and 4 vs #3 in the nation? Wow.
RodgerDodger
How does Mireles not even make it competitive at #6? Was she injured? I believe that is Georgia's weakest position as well. All the other matches were highly competitive.
Ag4eva95
Jeanette just didn't come prepared for singles today, she actually played pretty well in doubles. Lots and lots of errors. UGA was a brick wall, was they were on all courts today
Anchorhold
There was a really nice stretch when J&G were fighting back… it just didn't work out.
JPN06
RodgerDodger said:

How does Mireles not even make it competitive at #6? Was she injured? I believe that is Georgia's weakest position as well. All the other matches were highly competitive.
She had a bad day and it was a bad matchup. By the end of the first match they played a few weeks ago it was obvious that Grant had her number. Maybe like DrJdub suggested it would have been smart to pull Jeanette and give Gianna a shot.
bigfoot10s
AG
Anchorhold said:

bigfoot10s said:

I have it on good authority that there will be an SEC Womens Tennis Champion shirt available on 12thmanshop.com this Sunday 4/23

looking for help on a link...

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier. Haven't seen it.
bigfoot10s
AG
Middle to end of the first set for Jeanette and I was getting flashbacks to last year vs Cal and OU. She misses more down the line groundstrokes than anyone we've ever had. Feel like she needs to go crosscourt more and be patient.
JPN06
That's spot on.

Based on the end of previous UGA match it was obvious that was the issue and she either needed to be coached to play this match differently or switch the lineup if she wasn't capable of it.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Projected rankings have UNC #1, A&M #2, Georgia #3 and NC State #4.

That makes sense and those seeds would be ideal for NCAAs. I think we would take Georgia in round 3.
RED AG 98
AG
I like it. Potential conference tourney championship rematches on both sides before the final. And no all SEC or all ACC final (at least from these teams )
Anchorhold
If michigan gets a third win over Ohio State this week they might sneak into #3. I don't think they would win a match in Orlando but it would be nice if they can get that far. Isn't there a new draw for seeds for the teams that get to nationals?
Anchorhold
Agreed on taking Georgia in round 3.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anchorhold said:

If michigan gets a third win over Ohio State this week they might sneak into #3. I don't think they would win a match in Orlando but it would be nice if they can get that far. Isn't there a new draw for seeds for the teams that get to nationals?
I would prefer Michigan at 3, to be honest. However, that would push NCSstate into our side of the semifinals. I think we beat Georgia in the next matchup, but they do have experience at 5-6 and that stresses me out a bit. Our focus has to be to win every single doubles point. The importance is amplified from this point forward.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

That makes sense and those seeds would be ideal for NCAAs. I think we would take Georgia in round 3.
Michigan winning could drop us to 3...that's my only concern.
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

I could see them jumping NC State but I think they are too far back to pass us.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

You think they would jump NC State after NC State just beat NC?
farmer65
When will rankings come out?
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

You think they would jump NC State after NC State just beat NC?
Yes, I hope that don't, but they could. Remember that NC State has lost 4 matches.

Projected rankings have NC State at 64.9 points and A&M at 72.2 points. Michigan is at 63.2. I think NC State is crazy good at full strength but they have losses to Vanderbilt, Miami, Duke and a 7-0 to UNC before this weekend's win.
Aggie Tennis
AG
farmer65 said:

When will rankings come out?
10am tomorrow morning.
Harry Dunne
I don't think Michigan can jump NC State.

Even if they win, Michigan doesn't have enough high-ranked opportunities @ B10s to be able to beat NC state's full body of work now that they have a win vs number one. Remember NC State already beat Ohio State (Michigan's best win) on the road along with t.u., Oklahoma and ofc UNC, so they have three Ws "better" than anything Michigan could do.

I would like to avoid Stanford in the QF. They might be overrated because of a softer schedule but they haven't lost since the indoors and I think they are better than their ranking.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Even if they win, Michigan doesn't have enough high-ranked opportunities @ B10s to be able to beat NC state's full body of work now that they have a win vs number one. Remember NC State already beat Ohio State (Michigan's best win) on the road along with t.u., Oklahoma and ofc UNC, so they have three Ws "better" than anything Michigan could do.

I would like to avoid Stanford in the QF. They might be overrated because of a softer schedule but they haven't lost since the indoors and I think they are better than their ranking.
I agree that NC State is much better. I want them and UNC on the other side and would love to play Michigan outdoors for a chance at the final.

But the computer says there is less than a two point difference. NC State is done playing and Michigan can add points.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

Harry Dunne said:

I agree that NC State is much better. I want them and UNC on the other side and would love to play Michigan outdoors for a chance at the final.

But the computer says there is less than a two point difference. NC State is done playing and Michigan can add points.

Okay - let's play devil's advocate again. I like the projected rankings, of course. However, is there any way a committee seeds them so that the top conference foes have no way to meet until the finals?
bigfoot10s
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

Harry Dunne said:

Okay - let's play devil's advocate again. I like the projected rankings, of course. However, is there anyway a committee seeds them so that the top conference foes have no way to meet until the finals?
I would think they will do the opposite
Harry Dunne
Aggie Tennis said:

Harry Dunne said:

I agree 100%. I'm not basing on my opinion. It's just math.

The index is the result of a fraction (wins over losses) and because all of these teams already have so many good wins, the numbers are HUGE (in the 60s for these teams in question) and it's hard to move 2 points because you'd need a win (or wins) 120 points better than one of the ones you already have. Michigan's highest 3 possible wins @ B10 are Maryland, Wisconsin and Ohio State (again) and even if they win those, they will still be ranked 5, just behind NC St.

Michigan could beat Ohio State 3 more times this week and they'd still only be ranked #4. The ranking system is awful but it is what it is.
Harry Dunne
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

Harry Dunne said:

Okay - let's play devil's advocate again. I like the projected rankings, of course. However, is there anyway a committee seeds them so that the top conference foes have no way to meet until the finals?
Conference teams don't get sent to the same R1 & 2 site & they do a pretty good job of keeping them away from each other until the QF but occasionally conference teams will play each other in the S16, especially if that conference sends a bunch of teams, like ours does.

But no, they haven't historically staggered high-seed same conference teams in opposite halves of the bracket. I expect we will be the #2 overall and UGA the #3 and will meet in the FF. Like Bigfoot says, if anything their incentive would be to have us in the same half. It's probably not in the best interest of tennis to have an all-SEC final.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Based on the projections, what would our path to the FF look like?
aggiedrjdub
AG
According to the men's tracker and assuming it will be the same for the women, our half will have the 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, and the 15 seeds.

That would include: Texas A&M, Georgia, Duke, Pepperdine, Ohio State, Virginia, Miami, and Tennessee.

That would be Texas, Iowa State, and Oklahoma all on the same side. Hmmmm.
Ag4eva95
I'm personally a fan of a rematch it's UGA for FF. I think I would rather lose the SEC championship match to win a natty. The girls weren't executing at a high level all week and hopefully is the wake up call to realize there are other great teams out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.