Womens Tennis 2023

259,392 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Chapa96
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chapa96 said:

We have found our line 6...Daria! Did she lose this weekend?

She is SOLID!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Harry Dunne
First of all, hell of an effort. I'm sorry we fell short but am very proud of the fight and agree with the Gruskin kid: Championships are built on the backs of matches like this and we'll get them outdoors when it counts. I would have loved a championship, but let's be honest: This is basically just a glorified preseason NIT and UNC would trade all of their indoor "championships" for one (real) NCAA championship.

On to new business. I Don't like seeing the bickering on here. There are few enough Ags that give a damn about this team and we all want the same thing. I can see both sides. This is a forum, and blowing off steam is part of the joy of it. No one needs to be censoring the forum MVP...but at the same time no one needs to be telling anyone else to take a hike for not agreeing.

To Carson and any others reading: That was impressive and fun to watch. Two best teams in tennis and no shame in falling a couple of points short. The comeback is always stronger than the setback & I have a feeling we will see them again. Stay angry and kick their asses in May!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Something that really hurt us last year for NCAA tournament seedings was the computer rankings. We had that early loss to Pepperdine with no big wins and could never climb into the top 4.

That shouldn't be an issue this year. Our win over OSU, who beat Georgia, OU, Auburn as well as Georgia making the finals should help us significantly in the computer rankings.

Our goal needs to be top 2, opposite of UNC, and then take them in the finals. Or maybe we get lucky like Texas the last two years and someone else upsets them.
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

One thing is for sure…I'm about sick of Fiona Crawley
Too funny. lol

Fiona is a true team player, She is always pumping up her teammates even during play. I believe she was the top recruit years ago from San Antonio. She is deceivingly good for such a small person.
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Chapa96 said:

We have found our line 6...Daria! Did she lose this weekend?

She is SOLID!
She beat the #18 player? Did not realize that. Those scores are crazy good...excluding the 2nd set hiccup.

Daria Smetannikov secured the lone singles point for the Aggies as she bested No. 18 Anika Yarlagadda (6-1, 2-6, 6-0) on court 6

Harry Dunne
I'm not afraid of UNC outdoors. At all.

To your point though, yes - I don't think anyone outside of the top few teams has a chance against us outdoors and it would be phenomenal to have a top 4 seed and to not have to play any of them until the final 4.
Harry Dunne
Yes that YoGabbaGabba is a 5th year senior ranked #18. Heck of a W.
bigfoot10s
AG
I will never forget regional tournament of Fiona's senior year. She played with Brianna Wilbur for Alamo Heights. They showed up to the regional finals with a Louis bag, ONE small bottle of water, and a racket. Won 0,0 I believe.

State finals, down 5-2 to Highland Park in the first set, I believe they ran off a few games and won 7-5, 6-2. HP was GOOD too

Then she goes to UNC and I think played 6 her freshman year and barely lost a match.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I'm not afraid of UNC outdoors. At all.

To your point though, yes - I don't think anyone outside of the top few teams has a chance against us outdoors and it would be phenomenal to have a top 4 seed and to not have to play any of them until the final 4.
Agree we can take them outdoors, but it won't be easy and I don't care if we beat UNC or not in route to a title. Let's get a top seed and beat whoever we face.
RodgerDodger
It's a shame we didn't win it all, but by far the best the team has ever done at the national indoors. Great start to the season and looking forward to seeing them play in person come sec play.
Anchorhold
I hope the team enjoys some time off during the bye week. I am going to refill my blood pressure medication.
RED AG 98
AG
That other match is in 30 minutes. Going to turn it on in the background. This is a rematch as they met just two weeks ago with the Heels winning 5-2. UNC took the doubles point but all the matches were reasonably close. Singles looks to have been a real battle.

UGA won 1 and 2 in 3 sets.
UGA lost 3 and 4 in straight sets.
UGA lost 5 and 6 in 3.

(link)

I have no real rooting interest but do kinda hope (SEC be damned) that UNC skunks 'em.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Georgia playing well in doubles. Coming down to a tiebreak on line #1.

It will be fun to play them at home this year.
aggiedrjdub
AG
UNC won the doubles point.
aggiedrjdub
AG
This isn't looking good for Georgia.
RED AG 98
AG
Doubles point was a real grind. Singles looking a bit one-sided.
taylorswift13
AG
Alexa play That Should Be Me by Justin Bieber
RED AG 98
AG
I want to rematch the Heels now
aggiedrjdub
AG
North Carolina wins 4-0.
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

North Carolina wins 4-0.

Not surprising....
aggiedrjdub
AG
The next 4 matches are going to show us who we are. With FIU coming in, how do we bounce back after a hard fought loss? Ohio State and Northwestern, back to back…do we round out non-conference in style before heading to Florida on March 3 to open up conference play? Florida will be ready to prove themselves in their house.

Let's go! NCAA championship or bust!! Gig'em!!
Anchorhold
Early weather predictions for Orlando are low 80s / low 60s and partly cloudy but little chance of rain. Should be great conditions for FIU / OSU / Northwestern matches.

We don't play at home again until pig comes to College Station Friday March 10th. Dang.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

#2 is exactly where we should be after the indoors!
bigfoot10s
AG
RED AG 98
AG
You can now give NIL dollars to specific sports through the 12th Man Foundation new 12th Man+ Fund. Pretty slick that this is linked to TMA rather than unknown, untrusted 3rd party. You also get Priority Points . Also very cool that all dollar amounts are welcome so this isn't just for big money folk like most of the collectives. Anyway, sign up to give a few dollars to your favorites.

https://www.12thmanfoundation.com/12th-man-plus/index.html
taylorswift13
AG
Our girls deserve it more than anyone on this campus!
Chapa96
AG
All Tourney Team!

No. 6 Singles: Daria Smetannikov, Texas A&M (2-0)
  • def Jordyn McBride (San Diego) 7-5, 6-3
  • def Anika Yarlagadda (North Carolina) 6-1, 2-6, 6-0

No. 1 Doubles: Carson Branstine/Mary Stoiana, Texas A&M (3-0)
  • def Kailey Evans/Elizabeth Goldsmith (San Diego) 6-3
  • def Sydni Ratliff/Irina Cantos Siemers (Ohio State) 6-4
  • def Reese Brantmeier/Elizabeth Scotty (North Carolina) 6-1
No. 2 Doubles: Salma Ewing/Jayci Goldsmith, Texas A&M (3-0)
  • def Filippa Bruu-Syversen/Victoria Kalaitzis (San Diego) 6-2
  • def Akanksha Bhan/Isabelle Boulais (Ohio State) 6-3
  • def Fiona Crawley/Carson Tanguilig (North Carolina) 6-3
RED AG 98
AG
Attagirl Daria!
Anchorhold
SEC Tennis Freshman of the Week

Mia Kupres, Texas A&M

Kupres, played a key role in the team's trip to the semifinals at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships. Kupres in the opening round secured her fifth win of the season which put her on a five-win streak as she remained undefeated. Kupres defeated No. 93 Abigail Desiatnikov (6-3, 3-6, 6-2), securing the first ranked win of her collegiate career, this win also clinched the match for A&M as it defeated the Toreros (4-0) to advance to the quarterfinals. Kupres continued her impressive performances in the quarterfinals versus No. 11 Ohio State, she secured her sixth straight win of the season versus the Buckeyes Kolie Allen (6-2, 6-0). In the semifinals the Aggies ran into North Carolina, setting up a top-three matchup. Kupres again put on an extremely notable performance versus an experienced graduate transfer No. 12 Abbey Forbes, she held an advantage in the third set 6-1, 6-7(3), 5-4 before the match was left unfinished due to the match being clinched. Through her opening six weeks in collegiate tennis Kupres holds a perfect combined record in singles and doubles of 10-0.

https://www.secsports.com/article/35665156/feb-15
Signem
Hopefully this will become a broken record, and repeated as many times as Mary if not more. Nice picture of Mia on the 12th Man website.
Signem
A little walk down memory lane and a bit of history. Talked to Anna Lubinsky Dickerson (Luby for those who remember her) today. She holds the record (currently) for most wins by a tennis athlete (Male or Female). She's the only player (I think) who jumped from the #6 line as a Freshman to #1 her sophomore through senior season. She was saying that looking at the talent on this team she could easily see herself like Jeanette or Gianna, game match experience but having to sit on the bench to allow the better player to take care of business. For the winningest player in school history to be saying that I think that speaks volumes on what we have on the court right now. The next trick is to not get the big head and fall asleep on the court and let a lesser team take advantage of us.
Harry Dunne
That modesty is very on-brand for Anna, but there's a 0% chance she wouldn't find her way into any lineup.
Signem
She showed me a picture of where she and her mother won a Mother/Daughter tennis tournament in Fort Worth awhile back. Still swinging with 3 kids in tow.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Wish we had a match this weekend!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.