Womens Tennis 2023

259,405 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Chapa96
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie women honored at Kyle Field, under the lights! Guess their winning ways are rubbing off on the football team!

https://instagr.am/p/ClcrDvHgpAR
bigfoot10s
AG
Chapa96
AG
bigfoot10s said:

I thought she would end up here.
Ag4eva95
I wasn't expecting this one. Hoping it's because we're about to bring in some studs. Need to sign Atleast 2 contributors
Signem
Question: Losing Sankavi to the Demon Deacons, at the end of 2023 we know we lose Jayci. IF Carson decides to stay for her COVID year we only lose 1 consistent lineup player, correct?

We will still field one of the strongest, youngest lineups in the conference, Grad student (Jayci), Senior (Carson) then everyone else is freshman or sophomores. Has anyone here done any kind of research on the other schools in the conference on where they stand on potential lineups?
Ag4eva95
Georgia, Florida, and Auburn are the main competition. LSU will be much more competitive this year.
Signem
OK I totally agree about Georgia and Florida, they WERE the class of the conference for years. To go see their courts littered with conference and national championship banners (in years past) I get them. South Carolina having Sarah Hemner makes for an interesting point. The team themselves are loud and obnoxious so our opening conference weekend will be a good test. LSU though, playing at our house, if the 12th Man will show up like we usually do, those girls will crack almost sure. Consider the fact that we are 78-10 going back to the 2016-17 campaign at Mitchell. That's when Ratuja, Rachel, and Saska were seniors. Our lineup now would completely crush that crew. Excuse me for walking down memory lane. Looking at Auburn, their top 4 line players are back with 2 fish coming in. Unless they get some extra blood in the lineup in January like we will, if anybody stumps their toe there (injury) their lineup could have some serious hurt. About the best thing helping Auburn against us is they get to play in their house this year.
bigtimeag1977
Just got through looking at the latest 12th Man magazine and it states that the team went 30-0 in outdoor matches which is insane to say the least. Has any team ever had a season like that? And why don't we have indoor tennis courts? What is the latest on indoor tennis courts?
bigfoot10s
AG
bigtimeag1977 said:

Just got through looking at the latest 12th Man magazine and it states that the team went 30-0 in outdoor matches which is insane to say the least. Has any team ever had a season like that? And why don't we have indoor tennis courts? What is the latest on indoor tennis courts?

The latest on indoors is that A&M is banking on the City of Bryan bringing in a Pickleball indoor facility that we can use. Pretty piss poor to say the least.
Harry Dunne
Nobody outside of a few people on this forum give a rip about tennis. The better the team does, the easier it is for admin to justify that we don't really need them. The people at the level making those decisions are equally happy with us finishing #15 or number #1.

If the coaches want indoor facilities, they are going to have to fundraise for them. It's a tough ask to expect coaches to recruit and coach a team along with $ development, but that's just the reality.

bigtimeag1977
I heard Sam Houston is getting four new indoor courts. Guess the team will be practicing and playing matches there when the bad weather hits.
RED AG 98
AG
Fan support or not it's still a shame given our resources. Our regional tournament was always at SWT in the 90s and they had two covered courts even way back then. Heck the local mini golf place in Dripping just did basically the same for 8 covered pickle ball courts. Not fully closed in and limited seating but it was enough to keep the tournament moving if there was bad weather.
Aceswimmer09
These responses are lame, why do other universities who care just as much (if not more) about their football programs find money to make all facilities nice (including world class tennis facilities). This is a drop in the bucket….these are needed.
HersheyMonroe
Harry Dunne said:

The people at the level making those decisions are equally happy with us finishing #15 or number #1.
This is all that needs to be said.

We're going on 3 straight top 3 recruiting classes in the country. 6 blue chip and 3 five-star recruits in the past 3 years. This Spring should bring our 3rd straight top 15 finish (back-to-back top 8 finishes at least). All without indoor courts. The administration looks at our results and doesn't see a need for upgraded facilities as we seem to be doing amazing in regard to their expectations. If we were the laughingstock of the SEC, then maybe they'd build something to attempt to get us caught up. But it's ironic that our recent success is hurting our chances for improvements, because you would think it would be the opposite.

This board doesn't want to hear this rational because we are the diehard Aggie tennis fans, but we eventually need to accept reality.

edit to add that our football and basketball programs are embarrassments in relation to their expectations. Therefore, the ~$15M needed for indoor tennis will continue to go to those sports
Ag4eva95
On the flip side of this, how do you explain T&F? They had all of those national championships without the facilities but still got the upgrades and new digs.
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Nobody outside of a few people on this forum give a rip about tennis. The better the team does, the easier it is for admin to justify that we don't really need them. The people at the level making those decisions are equally happy with us finishing #15 or number #1.

If the coaches want indoor facilities, they are going to have to fundraise for them. It's a tough ask to expect coaches to recruit and coach a team along with $ development, but that's just the reality.

The problem is that our coaches DO fundraise for indoors, but the money gets pushed to other projects.
HersheyMonroe
I'd imagine the new indoor track is being built so they could tear down the old one and make space for indoor football/Bright upgrades. Outdoor track hadn't hosted a meet in 7+ years with the old facility, so that was the reason for Cushing.
Harry Dunne
Good post. As far as what I'm posting being "lame", I agree - the admin's attitude toward tennis is lame, but I'm just the messenger. If it were up to me we'd have what the team deserves, which is the best facilities in the country.

The first thing to understand is that college athletics is a business that has if you're lucky one revenue generator (football) and if you're extremely lucky you have 2 with basketball. Some baseball and women's basketball programs are or nearly are self-sustainable but most of them are money-losers. The rest of the programs on campus are pure money-sucks, from a $ standpoint. They exist only to preserve the illusion of amateurism, to satisfy Title IX and because there is a sponsored sport minimum in D1.

This is a few years old, but here's all you need to know:

https://college-sports.texastribune.org/colleges/texas-am-university/

What it's going to take for a $10M+ indoor facility (LSU's cost 9.7 a few years ago is one of the following:

1. A big donor or group of donors making a large donation with the stipulation that it be used for this and only this.

Or

2. A big donor or group of donors putting pressure on the administration and letting them know that the current state of tennis facilities is an embarrassment and will affect their future contributions.

With an imminent crippling Jimbo buyout looming and the general state of athletics being down right now, combined with what looks like an upcoming recession, I doubt Bjorn Bjork is going to just make it rain for tennis without a strong external push.

Again, it's a business and hate to say it but I do think the coaches have probably inadvertently hurt themselves by doing so well. I just don't see admin willing to drop 10 mil on helping the teams get to #1 when they are already in and around the top 10 and there is very little financial benefit in being better.

I don't know the whole story for the current facility, but I'm pretty sure Tim Cass went out and got Mitchell to cut a big check dedicated to specifically to the facility.
Harry Dunne
bigfoot10s said:

Harry Dunne said:

The problem is that our coaches DO fundraise for indoors, but the money gets pushed to other projects.
I posted before reading this.

If true, this is terrible.
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bigfoot10s said:

Harry Dunne said:

I posted before reading this.

If true, this is terrible.
If we are being truly honest here, Mitchell needs to be bulldozed and remade. It is a huge eyesore if you really look at the details, and we have been putting lipstick on a pig for years. Go compare to the new tu facility. Makes Mitchell look like a high school facility.

Also, last I heard a new indoor facility alone would be $17 mil.
Signem
Sorry been on the road and didn't read this forum for awhile, but the indoor courts have been a bone of contention since before 2005 when I started getting involved with the program. At one point Bobby even had someone from the 12th Man Foundation come over to one of the matches and the "halftime" between doubles and singles THAT was the topic of conversation, the proposed indoor courts. Complete with a model mockup and everything. I put $10,000 towards the deal as that was all I could afford at the time. Next thing I know, the equestrian team has their new digs and the indoor courts just vanish. I think it was 2019-20 can't remember exactly, I contacted the 12th Man Foundation and asked one of the reps what the story was and what's the status of the money I contributed to the cause. Bottom line, the indoor courts got put on the chopping block when the City of Bryan stepped forward and I was assured that Mark and Jordan would have access to the money I contributed but that the courts themselves were no longer in the "long range plan". No offense Harry, but to say Ross doesn't care about whether the team gets ranked 15 or 1 at the end of the year, take a look at Bird, and Jo Evans. I don't know if that's a fair assessment or maybe I read and understood your comment incorrectly. A&M is the ONLY school in the SEC without ANY indoor facility and it's unbelievably embarrassing to go to MISSOURI for Pete's Sake, and see their set up. I'm not advocating we do anything like what they have at Wisconsin, that place is like a Taj Mahal but to have NOTHING when the 12th Man is pandering for $100MM + for a Centennial Campaign and tennis isn't even on the drawing board, I got up and left when Jimbo got up to make his spill. I am still playing the lottery and have made a promise to Mark and Jordan that if my numbers ever come up the first $3-4MM goes to make the indoor courts a reality.
Harry Dunne
Yes, in order to be a premier facility it would have to be bulldozed. It is no longer even a top-5 outdoor facility in Texas.
Harry Dunne
If Bird or Jo Evans had been ranked 15 every year they'd have a job in perpetuity. Bird just finished very near dead ass last in conference and Jo had her moments but definitely tailed off and went the way of Kleinecke, Corbellis, Mark Johnson et al.

There is a certain standard you need to meet in order to not embarrass the university, but no one is getting run off from here for finishing in the top 25.

One positive not discussed is that we have one of the best budgets in the country. I can't speak for the admin but it seems like the logic is that the coaches have been given the resources to be the top 25 end that's the expectation. If they wanted to win a national championship they would have done what it took to keep Howard. That's why he left right? Wasn't given the resources to compete with tu.

I realize it's a different administration now but I don't think it's much different based on the way this facility stuff is going. Denton is nearing retirement but I wouldn't blame Mark for leaving. He deserves better, just like Howard did.
Signem
Bigtime, if you mean any AGGIE team, men or women, the answer is no on the 30-0 run. But there's been plenty of SEC schools that have run the table. My hope is that we can start a run like Florida had when we first joined the conference. Florida hadn't lost to ANY SEC team in like 3 years (37-0), the Dehaza twins, Christina Stancu, Naz, and Anna Mamalat get after them the first year we're in the conference at Mitchell and beat them 4-3. THAT was a WILD party. Lauren Embree the current Florida Assistant Coach played #1 against CSQ and you talk about shrinking the court to call balls out, OMG!! Biggest cheater I ever saw, and the refs let her do it. The girls are running 16-0 against SEC opponents, from the things being said by coaches and players this team is SO MUCH better than last year it's laughable. But they still have to get out there and play the matches. One bad day, and POOF it's gone.
Signem
Signem
Thanks go out to the staff of TexAgs for removing a post that had absolutely nothing to do with the current situation with women's tennis. Thank you for doing a great job.
taylorswift13
AG
That guy is always here trying to stir something up, we all just need to flag his posts!
Ag4eva95
It's super annoying, I kind of hate him for it!
Anchorhold
Anchorhold
jc97
AG
Is Carson playing?

Things have seemed conspicuously quiet there.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I've wondered the same thing but they just featured her a week or so ago.
taylorswift13
AG
The team account posted a highlight feature of her and she posted her in her Aggie Tennis uniform earlier this month… I think it'll generally be quiet for a while as they enjoy the holidays before their season long grind and championship run begins! All there will be to note if is we get any mid year transfers and when Mia Kupres enrolls!
Anchorhold
Mia is listed on the online roster. Is that new?

https://12thman.com/sports/womens-tennis/roster/mia-kupres/11270

Ag4eva95
No, she's been on the roster since august.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.