BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

744,801 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No doubt. I was surprised it didn't happen. I don't think there would be a pricing issue on that property... the owners would likely take anything reasonable to get out of it...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
medjunkie
What a canes in either location? They've proven to do well in both current locations ( didn't think the mall location would last long honestly) or maybe even adding another charlys subs somewhere?
Uncle Howdy
S
I know that I'm in the minority, and this isn't the thread for it, but I've never understood the Fuego hype
jja79
AG
It's delicious.
Uncle Howdy
S
Every time that I've been I've thought that it was decent to good, but not worth all the hype

Like I said, I know that I'm in the minority
jja79
AG
Which taco place do you prefer?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

I know that I'm in the minority, and this isn't the thread for it, but I've never understood the Fuego hype

x2

Garpez is where it's at.
Uncle Howdy
S
For breakfast tacos, Jesse's is my go to place
jja79
AG
I don't disagree. Fuego is something different than typical breakfast tacos though.
AgsWin2011
AG
I think Mad Taco is better than Fuego. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I wouldn't be opposed to having something like DQ open in the old Tower Point Bush's, but I think Wing Stop or Wings N' More Express would kill there.

There aren't any wing places in the Tower Point area unless you get them from Dominos or maybe Angry Elephant.
ethridgem
AG
Heismenberg said:

There aren't any wing places in the Tower Point area unless you get them from Dominos or maybe Angry Elephant.
Zaxby's does wings, albeit, I haven't had them.
I would love to have a Wingstop in Tower Point!
FlyRod
I'll just state the obvious: Fuego is open late, and it fills a niche at post-bar closing ballast, that unlike fast food, is actually good.

Surprised they haven't opened a second location yet.
viejo
Broncos said:

I guess he has never been to Northgate, Houston, Austin, Dallas, or anywhere larger than College Station.
I go to Northgate all the time for lunch....and don't pay for parking. I am in Dallas, Austin, and Houston (San Antonio too!) regularly and eat out every time I'm there....and don't pay for parking. I shop in those cities too.....and don't pay for parking. My wife drags me to the Galleria in Houston more often than I'd like to go, and we don't pay for parking. In all of Texas, paying for parking to shop or eat is the exception rather than the rule.

If people are tired of hearing me complain about Century Square paid parking, quit posting about the latest thing going in there. I'm tired of hearing about those places.

[This thread is about businesses that are coming and going in this area and where it is located does not matter. If you do not want to see what is going in at Century Square then your best bet is to not open this thread.

You WILL stop griping about the paid parking at Century Square on this thread. -Staff]
Uncle Howdy
S
Speaking of Century Square, I tried Sweet Paris recently. I had the La Canadienne, and would highly recommend it.

The only thing that I didn't care for is that there was only one register open, and there was a line that moved VERY slowly
FlyRod
Harley's going out of business.
carpe vinum
AG
FlyRod said:

Harley's going out of business.
I could understand Heritage, they wanted to retire, but Harley's surprises me.
They have little competition.
Do people even go to the mall anymore?
Online? Really?
ethridgem
AG
Harley's is just so expensive. I don't think there's enough of a market in this town to sustain their model, especially when there's so many online options nowadays.
toolshed
AG
Their Facebook showed them hiring seasonal help a week ago and posting about their 10th anniversary coming up this week. Nothing about them closing. Do they have a sign out front indicating they are closing?
DBSwooper
toolshed said:

Their Facebook showed them hiring seasonal help a week ago and posting about their 10th anniversary coming up this week. Nothing about them closing. Do they have a sign out front indicating they are closing?

I received an email, having shopped there previously. I was wondering how long it would last with Michael having passed away.
Legacy Work Spaces
That Bush's chicken could also be converted into a Chick Filet and it would probably make just as much money as the one across the street!

Have any of you ever had "Waffle Love"? I believe its a Utah based company now starting to grow especially out west. Small menu but very very good food. Would love to see South College Station get a place that quadruples as a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and coffee spot!
Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
Oogway
Does anyone know anything about Midtown Reserve development going in off Rock Praire & Bird Pond? Looks like a W. Phillips development and 26 lots.

Edit to add: if Phillips is calling Rock Prairie "Midtown," then it is official. SoCo is south of Barron Road. That man ought to know since he has developed about as much as anyone.
techno-ag
AG
Grease fire at McDonald's on Rock Prarie will keep it closed until the health department gives the green light.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/McDonalds-on-Rock-Prairie-closed-after-morning-fire-496628871.html
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

KidDoc
AG
I walked by Howdy Pizza at Caprock while Discount Tire was working on my car today. It is totally gutted and they were working on HVAC ducts. If they are putting something there it is a long way off.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Central Baptist Church is changing their name. Dropping the Baptist part.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Central-Baptist-Church-removing-Baptist-from-their-name-496705681.html
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

CRE-Ag
AG
DBSwooper said:

toolshed said:

I received an email, having shopped there previously. I was wondering how long it would last with Michael having passed away.
Man, I miss Michael. He was a friend, and the store just wasn't the same without him.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Sad that Courtney Carpenter left KBTX. I will miss her reports from new places in town once they opened.
Kitten With A Whip
Was at OMG Seafood last night and noticed they have added some healthier options. They now have grilled fish and various grilled shrimp combos. These come with steamed vegetables and rice. Too bad I noticed this after I had already ordered!

Disclaimer: I am not associated with this company/restaurant. Just a fan passing along some new info. Enjoy your day!
gopitt
I have been to The Republic numerous times and think it is the best restaurant in town.
Been to Porters once and found it excellent.
Anyone with more extensive feedback on Porters?
ratfacemcdougal
Thanks for the heads up. I would usually just order the shrimp bag with just shrimp.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
gopitt said:

I have been to The Republic numerous times and think it is the best restaurant in town.

Everybody will have their own opinion. I'm lucky enough to get to dine out and very nice places all over Texas and also 5-6 other major cities (Denver. Cincy. Seattle. New Orleans. Atlanta for example).

I hope peeps here recognize that Republic is as good as ANYTHING ANYWHERE. Not just locally. Id compare it favorably to most Capitol Grilles. The original Del Friscos. Perrys.
AG
gopitt said:

We have been there and friends have been there several times. What we have experienced is that the cuts of meat are fantastic. But the serving temperature is very inconsistent. My steak was ordered at medium rare and was mostly medium, there was one small edge that could be considered medium rare. I knew there had been issues from previous visits of friends and very specifically asked for the rare side of medium rare. Of the 10 steaks ordered at our table that night, only 1 person felt they got what they ordered. Very disappointing for $32 to $50 plus cuts of meat.

Edit to clarify that it is Porters I am giving feedback on.
Sidepocket
AG
Has the Republic moved to their new location?
FlyRod
Quote:

Have only dined there once. I had raw oysters which IMO were better than the ones I've had at both the Republic and Veritas (though the chicken fried and rockefeller at Republic are to die for). The server recommended the halibut and I was skeptical but honestly it was one of the bests seafood meals I've had around here...perfectly cooked with an incredible sauce.

Their cocktails are good, and I wish their wine list were better organized.

I'm also biased because a friend of mine bartends there!
Collectonian
Looks like a restaurant called Oishi Sushi is slated to come to Jones Crossing. (per Eat BCS)
FlyRod
Quote:

Has the Republic moved to their new location?

Yes, its the new building on University, very close to old location. Will share the space with Primrose, which i think is a wine bar?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.