BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

711,323 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JMac07 said:

Progress on the new strip center behind Walmart on Brothers/Longmire.

Do we know the businesses that are going into that strip mall ?
JMac03
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

JMac07 said:

I don't. I do not think we got any answers when it was discussed a few pages back. I find it a very odd location. I've not once ever visited a single business thats in the strip center across from it on Brothers.
theycallmemrtibbs
JMac07 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

JMac07 said:

I don't. I do not think we got any answers when it was discussed a few pages back. I find it a very odd location. I've not once ever visited a single business thats in the strip center across from it on Brothers.
If you haven't been to 1541 then you're missing out. Best coffee and desserts in the area. Hands down.
NightHawk150
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

JMac07 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

JMac07 said:

If you haven't been to 1541 then you're missing out. Best coffee and desserts in the area. Hands down.
Went last night.

Got the tiramisu and it was the bee's knees. ^_^
Wicked Good Ag
Wife's favorite coffee shop and she is in love with the gluten free choc cake.
BCSWguru
the Hooters restaurant should do well. we were fortunate to snag one of the free lunch training deal they had today. Its a nice place.

Edited to add the will be opening July 23.
Oogway
It is a hidden gem; very good coffee.
Chris98
AG
"Walk-On's" is out for contractor bids right now. It is going to be next to Saltgrass
JMac03
AG
Chris98 said:

"Walk-On's" is out for contractor bids right now. It is going to be next to Saltgrass
What is this?

Edited - is it this? https://walk-ons.com/
DBSwooper
JMac07 said:

Chris98 said:

What is this?

Mediocre food with super short polo-shirt dress things for the waitresses and a billion flat screen TVs all over the place...on the upside it's priced higher than it should be.
Broncos
JMac07 said:

Chris98 said:

What is this?

A place to watch games in SCS
jac4
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

JMac07 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

JMac07 said:

Everyone on here talks about supporting local businesses and are bummed when one closes down, but I highly recommend stopping by and trying 1541. Their house Coffee is from Honduras and it is quite good. IIRC, it's imported from a family farm in Honduras. One of the farmer's sons is or was a grad student at TAMU. Beans are roasted in Marfa. Usually delivered on Thursday's. Try it out! I just bought a pound today.
dave99ag
AG
What's the name of the roaster in Marfa? I frequent Alpine and might have to check them out while out west.
HortAg09
AG
The location keeps alot of people from noticing 1541 but it is a gem. They've been there for about 6 years. The owners are awesome people and are they are hands on with the employees making drinks everyday.

I first found out about them from a friend in 2013 and have been going there since. The bacon croissant breakfast sandwiches that are served on fri-sun mornings are incredible. They sell out very quick and it's not uncommon for people to show up right when they open and buy half the tray. They also have macaroons at 11 on Wednesday only.

Without a doubt they are my favorite coffee and pastry shop in town.

FYI they are closed on Mondays.
techno-ag
AG
http://1541coffee.com
Aggie
AG
Chris98 said:

Really surprised by that location.. figured it would be closer to campus.
jac4
AG
I don't know the name of the roaster unfortunately.
FILO505
AG
After multiple recs on here, ran by 1541. They're out of beans to go, but should be in Tuesday.

Sam gave me a sample of the medium roast, and now I get the recs. Damn good coffee, and a nice guy.
halibut sinclair
Too far from the bypass.
carpe vinum
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

After multiple recs on here, ran by 1541. They're out of beans to go, but should be in Tuesday.

Sam gave me a sample of the medium roast, and now I get the recs. Damn good coffee, and a nice guy.
Indeed. Great people, and great product.
mgreen
Aggie said:

Chris98 said:

Really surprised by that location.. figured it would be closer to campus.

South College Station is deperate for full service restaurants and an adult bar. Saltgrass built a giant restaurant and a tiny bar with only 10 seats. They are kicking themselves in the ass. The bar at Gringo's and Walk On's will be huge. Designed for groups to meet and drink.
Aggie
AG
When will Gringos be breaking ground?

I thought they wanted to be open by football season... obviously that won't happen
australopithecus robustus
Gringo's will dust everything down there. There's not enough business down there for everything that's coming to thrive. Survive maybe. Either way, Gringo's will have the top spot
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
Went to the Hooters soft opening today. Restaurant is really well done. Lots of natural light with a very large bar area and nice seating options. I tried the smoked wings and buffalo chicken dip, delicious. The staff was energetic and very accommodating, a great sign for a corporate chain that is still training it's staff. Hooters has their act together...if it keeps up, it will thrive.
Jon Ponder 08
AG
As stated above, ran by 1541 myself and thought it was great. Had nitro cold brew and some tiramisu. Impressed by Sam and his wife. Very talented and amicable couple with excellent product.
JMac03
AG
ThunderCatsHOOOO! said:

Hi Went to the Hooters soft opening today. Restaurant is really well done. Lots of natural light with a very large bar area and nice seating options. I tried the smoked wings and buffalo chicken dip, delicious. The staff was energetic and very accommodating, a great sign for a corporate chain that is still training it's staff. Hooters has their act together...if it keeps up, it will thrive.
My only complaint is it is SO HARD TO HEAR. Like my dad sat there in silence because unless the music was off, you couldnt hardly have a conversation. Even if the music wasnt overly loud, it just was impossible to hear. I had someone walk over to my table and was talking to me and I kept having to say "what did you say" and he was only a chair away.

Other than that, I thought the food was good, the 15-20 waitresses that stopped by our table friendly, and the look and layout of the restaurant really nice.
Spiderpig
According to Gringo's Facebook page: "At this time, a College Station location is no longer in our immediate plans to open due to all sorts of factors. We love Aggieland and know when the timing is right, Gringo's will be there...we are letting the chips fall where they may!"
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Havent been to Hooters yet but we went to Mo's for the first time yesterday early evening

Pretty impressed with beers (we tried 7 or 8 that were new to us) and food. Service great

Noise level was very well managed. We coukd hear each other and our server easily yet couldn't hear any neighboring convos
CharlieBrown17
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Any news on Dat dog? Weren't they aiming for early June?

ETA: guess it's July not June.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/new-orleans-dat-dog-headed-college-station

So is this still happening? Can't find anything more recent about it.
JMac03
AG
What about Stella in CS? It originally said Spring.
Tailgate88
AG
Spiderpig said:

According to Gringo's Facebook page: "At this time, a College Station location is no longer in our immediate plans to open due to all sorts of factors. We love Aggieland and know when the timing is right, Gringo's will be there...we are letting the chips fall where they may!"
KidDoc
AG
JMac07 said:

When I drove by there around 830 last night they had the lights on and workers working on it. Should be soonish.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Look Out Below
AG
Soft open/preview for Stella is Wednesday
ethridgem
AG
JMac07 said:

According to their Facebook page, grand opening is July 28th.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Disappointed about Gringos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.