BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

712,105 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
snaglepuss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's going to happen at Villa Maria and 29th now? (old Pete's)
halibut sinclair
snaglepuss said:

Pete's is across the street. The building being torn down was the Wilton Johnson & Sons gas station. BrazosCAD says the current owner is Villa 29 Property with an address in Pebble Creek.

*Edited cause I looked it up.
carpe vinum
AG
halibut sinclair said:

snaglepuss said:

Pete's is across the street. That was the Wilton Johnson gas station. I believe St. Joseph owns the property now.
true.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Still no news about Jones Crossing development? That "couple of weeks" until tenants will be announced in December sure is dragging by. I was surprised at the size of the development when I drove by there a couple of days ago.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Still no news about Jones Crossing development? That "couple of weeks" until tenants will be announced in December sure is dragging by. I was surprised at the size of the development when I drove by there a couple of days ago.
Per the CS Economic Development rep who was on WTAW last night, HEB shooting to open in July. They have several letters of intent from other tenants but no actual leases signed, but they are hoping to announce the first batch of 6-7 tenants including restaurants in the next 60 days.
snaglepuss
halibut sinclair said:

snaglepuss said:

Pete's is across the street. The building being torn down was the Wilton Johnson & Sons gas station. BrazosCAD says the current owner is Villa 29 Property with an address in Pebble Creek.

I know where Pete's is now, I am talking about way before that garage was ever built at that location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Per the CS Economic Development rep who was on WTAW last night, HEB shooting to open in July. They have several letters of intent from other tenants but no actual leases signed, but they are hoping to announce the first batch of 6-7 tenants including restaurants in the next 60 days.
Good info! Hopefully the tenants won't be the typical nail salon, cell phone place, etc.
halibut sinclair
snaglepuss said:

halibut sinclair said:

snaglepuss said:

I know where Pete's is now, I am talking about way before that garage was ever built at that location.
Pete's was still across 29th where the Burger King/convenience store is now.
Drewmeister
AG
Didn't see this on the list or discussed in the last few pages... I stopped by Taqueria Poblana on the way back from the tax office, and it was pretty good. The tacos are more authentic Mexican than Tex-Mex (double corn tortilla, meat, cilantro, onions), which I like, and it was $6 for a plate of four. Also lime, cucumber, and radish on the side, which was a bit different, but I kinda liked it.

They have the spit with the "pastor"/"trompo" meat grilled on it (pork, onions, pineapple), similar to how some places do gyros. It was pretty good, but I liked the barbacoa even better. The beef & chicken fajita tacos were decent, but paled in comparison to the trompo and barbacoa. I accidentally grabbed some orange hot sauce thinking it was the red sauce... oops, that's habanero sauce! I ended up liking the habanero sauce the best though -- it's definitely spicy, but not as much as you might expect.

It's in the gas station at Boonville/Briarcrest, aka the original Stover Boys location. Definitely going back!
b0ridi
Drewmeister said:

Didn't see this on the list or discussed in the last few pages... I stopped by Taqueria Poblana on the way back from the tax office, and it was pretty good. The tacos are more authentic Mexican than Tex-Mex (double corn tortilla, meat, cilantro, onions), which I like, and it was $6 for a plate of four. Also lime, cucumber, and radish on the side, which was a bit different, but I kinda liked it.

They have the spit with the "pastor"/"trompo" meat grilled on it (pork, onions, pineapple), similar to how some places do gyros. It was pretty good, but I liked the barbacoa even better. The beef & chicken fajita tacos were decent, but paled in comparison to the trompo and barbacoa. I accidentally grabbed some orange hot sauce thinking it was the red sauce... oops, that's habanero sauce! I ended up liking the habanero sauce the best though -- it's definitely spicy, but not as much as you might expect.

It's in the gas station at Boonville/Briarcrest, aka the original Stover Boys location. Definitely going back!
They accepting credit cards yet? I went by last year and it was cash only.
Drewmeister
AG
b0ridi said:

They accepting credit cards yet? I went by last year and it was cash only.

Yeah, they use a Square reader on a phone or tablet or something like that.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just bought a pullover fleece at the new Bear mtn location. Really like the space, overhead they're opening the Ace in April 3rd if that hadn't been posted yet
Aggiewife64
Captn_Ag05 said:

Angel nails
Sports clips
A dentist

Chick fil a
Krispy creme
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Chick Fil A at that location is gonna need 4 drive thrus and 2 traffic cops
AG
Aggiewife64 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Angel nails
Sports clips
A dentist

Chick fil a
Krispy creme
Do you know that or is that a guess? Would that be a second Krispy Kreme location (in addition to the Harvey Road location)?
eloc62
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Prolly not far from the truth. Chick Fil A is the best fast food thing going right now because they choose to do one thing, and do it better than anybody else. just chicken. Pretty good business model. heard they brine their chicken in pickle juice. I tried to recreate the recipe one day. It was close, but i don't have a pressure fryer. think that was the difference.
95_Aggie
AG
Lots of folks do chicken these days. I think was sets CFA apart is customer service.
TheAlarmGuy
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

"THIS" Thanks for the Chuckle SPI-FlatsCatter 84
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ate at Dat Dog in NOLA tonight. Manager noticed my A&M shirt and told me they were planning on opening a location in College Station this semester or summer.

http://www.datdog.com/
KidDoc
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Ate at Dat Dog in NOLA tonight. Manager noticed my A&M shirt and told me they were planning on opening a location in College Station this semester or summer.

Wow that looks amazing and prices are pretty low. Hope it happens.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Nice menu. Hopefully they go into South CS.
K2T2
CharlieBrown17 said:

Holy crap, 3 different vegan dogs? Take my monies! I hope they really do make it here!
halibut sinclair
Good food - been there in NOLA. Hopefully they don't go into south CS.
musicforall
Shout out to locals eating out while the students are gone - All the Kings Men is highly recommended. Ate there for the first time. The turkey and brisket were wonderful, both lean and tender at the same time. The sides were delicious and imaginative. Gouda mac and cheese! Grits! Apple slaw was refreshing. Espresso BBQ sauce is a good option as well as the house sauce, if you like sauce. Get there this week, and anytime that is not First Friday.
FlyRod
At there last First Friday with 6 people and service and food were totally on point.
war hymn aggie
AG
Just drove by Fuddruckers.
Looks look they are either closing their doors or having a serious remodel.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Could they just be closed for spring break?
war hymn aggie
AG
Passing by again, looks like they are just remodeling.
Signage that was being taken down when I 1st drove by was being put back up again.....
PS3D
war hymn aggie said:

Passing by again, looks like they are just remodeling.
Signage that was being taken down when I 1st drove by was being put back up again.....
That's too bad. If they were transforming into a Luby's/Fuddruckers combo restaurant, that'd be worth writing about.
J182
AG
Hearing that the Cici's next to Hobby Lobby is closed. Don't know if that has been mentioned.
DBSwooper
Jacob Ramirez said:

Hearing that the Cici's next to Hobby Lobby is closed. Don't know if that has been mentioned.
Was that one and the Cici's that closed recently by Lowe's on 40 have the same owners?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I would think Cicis would do pretty well with the college crowd. Maybe they are spending their parent's money on Blaze and Urban Brick.
DimeBox17
AG
I just went by there Saturday and there was signs on the door saying now hiring but they were still open. I know the one out in tower point closed somewhat recently.
J182
AG
I'll have to drive by after work and check it out.
Katy on Candy95 was talking on air this morning about one being closed and now Yelp is listing it as closed.
mgreen
Captn_Ag05 said:

I would think Cicis would do pretty well with the college crowd. Maybe they are spending their parent's money on Blaze and Urban Brick.
That is exactly it. These kids are spoiled. They want hand crafted food and beer. No fast food for these kids. I am jealous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.