BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

709,268 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kroger gets destroyed when heads up vs HEB
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

Gringo's - South College Station
Glad to see this is still on the list...I hadn't seen anything on it for quite some time.

I hope it goes through. It would be nice to have a good Tex-Mex option in South College Station. Most of the places in B/CS are pretty overrated anyway.
Gigem314
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Ruggles has a new name:
http://abc13.com/food/ruggles-green-rebrands-as-bellagreen/2333447/
Would be a nice addition no matter the name.
I remember their location at CityCentre, but there was also a Ruggles Cafe at Rice Village in Houston near the Rice campus...is that still the same company? Loved that place.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

HEB crushes them in price , selection and quality.
IMO Kroger beats HEB in quality of fresh produce. For selection, HEB promotes their store brand products so much that sometimes it's hard to find popular name brand items.
Cyp0111
Said no one ever.
CEAg78
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Said no one ever.
Don't be snippy. Everyone is entitle to their opinion. Especially when I agree.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
There's individual stores that have great UD's for each of the major brands (except WM probably). A really good UD that understands the fresh side will have good managers

On average though, HEB smokes everybody in Texas and it's not close.
AG
Pg 2 of coming & going 2018 has already devolved into which grocery store has better produce....
jac4
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Pg 2 of coming & going 2018 has already devolved into which grocery store has better produce....

This thread is a microcosm of the entire Aggieland forum.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Needs more complaining about a local business followed by anger someone would complain about a local business online followed by a rant about the construction in the same area as the previously mentioned business.
australopithecus robustus
Gringos is a done deal
LJF78
Gigem314 said:

Quote:

Gringo's - South College Station
Glad to see this is still on the list...I hadn't seen anything on it for quite some time.

I hope it goes through. It would be nice to have a good Tex-Mex option in South College Station. Most of the places in B/CS are pretty overrated anyway.

Agree
We goto the Gringos in cypress often. ( since pappasitos went off the deep end on prices)
IMO it's better than any Mexican food joint in CS and has great atmosphere.

It will do well in CS , hope it happens.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
So where will this Gringos be?

If discussed above I missed it.
Two lots north of saltgrass. It will clean up. It will affect everything down there and give Chuys a glancing blow.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Do you know the timeline? Can't get here soon enough.
PS3D
Cyp0111 said:

Kroger gets destroyed when heads up vs HEB
Houston called and said you're wrong.
Cyp0111
Go to any suburb where a new HEB vs Kroger competes and look at the parking lots.

Kroger had a massive head start in Houston with number of stores and locations. People largely shop at Krogers if they want to avoid the crowds at HEB.

For example, the Kroger on 11th in Houston is a massive store. They're preparing to get hit hard when the new HEB in the heights is online.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
^yup, I live in the heights and can say that personally we drive either to bunker hill HEB or montrose HEB over the 2 Kroger's closest to us, crowds be damned. The new HEB on 21st? Can't open soon enough!
jrhmc
AG
I think you're either a Kroger or an HEB person and those who love Kroger also love to defend them. I personally bought my house based partly on where the realtor said a new HEB was being built in the next few years both here and in Houston. And HEB kills in Houston. The Kroger and Randalls were closer to us when the HEB opened but they looked like ghost towns after. But let's get this thread back on track.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Kroger can't compete anywhere that HEB wants market share. HEB crushes them in price , selection and quality.

We're fortunate as heck to live where we do. There are few grocery retailers that are as good as/better than HEB. Maybe Wegmans and Publix are close
They run neck-to-neck with H-E-B in Houston, they operate in the Dallas-Fort Worth area where H-E-B is only in the suburbs, they never were in Austin and Waco (maybe a few stores in the 1960s), and they only aren't in San Antonio because H-E-B was stealing confidential information about the sales of their stores (which Butt admitted to).

IMO, the only reason Kroger maintains a toehold here is the Boonville location. If HEB opened something in Bryan on the bypass (say, near Target), that Kroger would die a slow death.
double b
AG
Avant Garde - College Prep Services has moved their offices from 1920 West Villa Maria, Bryan TO 3206 Longmire Drive, College Station, TX 77845.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I could see a HEB coming to the University/Boonville area with the extension of University there and growth of that part of town.

In an effort to try and get us somewhat back on track, does anyone know the timeline for Gringos? Krispy Kreme?

Is there any actual confirmation of a Bellagreen going in at Century Square? I haven't seen anything official and the Century Square website doesn't have it on the map yet (which they update frequently).
Cyp0111
I would doubt BellaGreen comes to Century Square given the number of fast casual spots and the fact that most restaurant spots on the green have been leased.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I would doubt BellaGreen comes to Century Square given the number of fast casual spots and the fact that most restaurant spots on the green have been leased.
Tend to agree. Also, the recent article in the Houston news about the name change referenced new locations and markets and there was no reference to College Station or Century Square.

It has been crickets for a few months from Century Square on new tenants.
phatpat21
Went to Kroger as it's closer to my work last night, just to grab a couple things
They were both more expensive at Kroger
So I left and went to HEB
HEB>Kroger
Also I don't have to avoid getting bird crap all over myself or my truck
NellCote71
I too went to Kroger's yesterday after shopping at HEB. I needed two carrots and three Yukon potatoes, not a whole bag. And I needed Tuscan kale and fresh basil. Kroger's had everything I needed. My main complaint about HEB is that their produce is unimaginative, and you can't just a few of an item like carrots. Also their dried pepper selection sucks.
NellCote71
Captn_Ag05
AG
Did this page redirect to Yelp?
KidDoc
AG
Seriously if you guys want to spam arguments over grocery store chains please start a new thread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
phatpat21
what is new place where carps bar was originally going to be? Next to taco casa I drove by earlier but couldn't tell what it was
ratfacemcdougal
That'll do pig, that'll do. Mr Kroger and Mr Butt can go fight on another thread.
RedBeardDude
Anybody been to the new cigar shop next to Taco Casa on Greens Prairie?? I can't remember the name of it.
KidDoc
AG
phatpat21 said:

what is new place where carps bar was originally going to be? Next to taco casa I drove by earlier but couldn't tell what it was
Angry Elephant.

http://www.theangryelephant.com/home
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
phatpat21
Awesome, looks good.
PS3D
The Equity office at Wellborn and George Bush closed December 31 and moved to Bryan (allegedly temporarily, as they'll open a new office at Navarro and Wellborn sometime this year)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.