Braves Thread

120,382 Views | 2067 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Aggie1205
PermianBasinAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The playoffs are such a crap shoot. It's not hard to recognize that the Braves are the best team in baseball, but Dodgers are really good too. And the Phillies, who let's not forget played in the WS last year, have been on fire lately. And then you have the Cubs and Reds, who may or may not even make it, but are both pretty dangerous. If the playoffs were played on paper, the Braves would win the WS. But so many things can go sideways when the games are actually played. Nothing is guaranteed.
yawny06
AG
It is almost cliche to say, but it will come down to how healthy and how locked in our pitching is come October.

Our offense is built to win games in October against better pitching because we can hit the long ball pretty much anywhere in the line up. We will always be in the game if it is close.

Last year, we did not have a 100% Fried or Strider for the Phillies series and it showed.
The Anchor
AG
3rd straight shutout!
yawny06
AG
0 runs and 7 hits over the last 27 inningsā€¦
yawny06
AG
Chirinos ends the shut out streak on the first pitch of the gameā€¦
The Anchor
AG
YES!

Eddie puts us on top!
The Anchor
AG
This offense is unreal!

Braves win!

80 wins
yawny06
AG
EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!
yawny06
AG
Quote:

"Those pitches are definitely hard to see and they're hard to pick up," Rosario said. "I feel like I need to take a pitch sometimes just to be able to start picking the pitch up and see where it's coming from. But tonight was just my night. I feel like they could have thrown it underground and I still would have been able to hit it."

Aside from Rosario getting hot at the plate, Ozuna now has a 16 game hitting streak. Have to give him credit, he really turned it around after that horrendous start to the season.

It also sounds like they might be looking more long term with Chirinos. Beat writer saying that they are looking at potentially replacing him in the rotation with Winans, but if they did Chirinos would go to the bullpen since he is out of options. All I know is, he probably should not get any more starts this season.
clinte234
AG
yawny06 said:

Quote:

"Those pitches are definitely hard to see and they're hard to pick up," Rosario said. "I feel like I need to take a pitch sometimes just to be able to start picking the pitch up and see where it's coming from. But tonight was just my night. I feel like they could have thrown it underground and I still would have been able to hit it."

Aside from Rosario getting hot at the plate, Ozuna now has a 16 game hitting streak. Have to give him credit, he really turned it around after that horrendous start to the season.

It also sounds like they might be looking more long term with Chirinos. Beat writer saying that they are looking at potentially replacing him in the rotation with Winans, but if they did Chirinos would go to the bullpen since he is out of options. All I know is, he probably should not get any more starts this season.

Amen!

(I think he can be an asset in the bullpen!)
Aggie1205
AG
Back in the win column!
yawny06
AG
Yes, back in the win column. Elder pitched a great game, only two hits and was responsible for one of the runs. Pitching was great overall with the exception of one mistake from Johnson, which was completely jinxed by the broadcast crew who said just as he was in his wind up, "he hasn't given up any earned runs since coming over to the Braves", resulting in Vogelbach going smash.

Ozuna and Rosario are lighting it up right now. I still don't understand why Snitker sat Rosario for the series opener. I get it, left handed pitcher for the Mets so you platoon with Pillar, but with the way Eddie has been hitting you gotta ride that out and not over think it. He should have played, in my opinion, because when he is on like this he is just a machine at the plate, no matter who is pitching.
The Anchor
AG
News from earlier this week:

Chirinos sent to 15 day IL: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38233457/braves-put-righty-yonny-chirinos-elbow-15-day-il

That allowed Winans to move up to the MLB club. When he flopped he was sent back down and bring Shuster up again: https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/transactions/_/name/atl/atlanta-braves
yawny06
AG
Rosario out of the lineup again tonight.

In the pregame show, Chipper was talking about how the offense needed a spark. So of course, we sit the guy with one of the hottest bats in the entire league and move Pillar to the #2 hole.

I just don't understand, it makes no sense.
Baron von Bulsh
I love these broadcasts with the old players (Smoltz, Chipper, Glavine, and Frenchy).

They even brought McCann up with them and zoomed in Maddux and McGriff tonight.

Just love hearing the old stories and watching them rag on each other.
yawny06
AG
Them giving Smoltz grief about getting hit in the back and then flopping like a tuna was goldā€¦
yawny06
AG
Ozuna is on FIRE.

Second night in a row he has a single, a double, and a homer.
Aggie1205
AG
Ozuna is on fire.
Aggie1205
AG
You beat me to it.
yawny06
AG
Love Glav's callā€¦"it's too early for a crown!"

Ozuna has been the main catalyst this entire series. When he is in, it is fun to watch.

The team is just crazy. It was a tight 1-0 game and then all of sudden it is 7-0.
yawny06
AG
And razzing Frenchy about his Lloyd Christmas pose for a magazine cover and the Napoleon Dynamite shirt photoā€¦
yawny06
AG
Another shutout. Morton was dominate. Broadcast crew was outstanding.

Big west coast trip coming up.
The Anchor
AG
yawny06 said:

Rosario out of the lineup again tonight.

In the pregame show, Chipper was talking about how the offense needed a spark. So of course, we sit the guy with one of the hottest bats in the entire league and move Pillar to the #2 hole.

I just don't understand, it makes no sense.

I agree with your post but I've learned to trust the manager who has won a World Series and has maintained the top MLB record this year for a while.
yawny06
AG
Oh, I have 100% confidence in Snitker. The team isn't 82-44 because of luck or in spite of him.

Saying the decision to sit Lopez and Rosario, who went a combined 4 for 7 the night before, under the rational to spark the offense (that is what Chipper specifically stated) doesn't make any sense. It wasn't a good explanation in a place that didn't need an explanation.

Later during the broadcast when Pillar was batting, Chipper talked more about trying to get Kevin Pillar more reps and ABs. That makes sense. In hindsight, the "spark the offense" comment was just filler talk, in my opinion.

Of course, as a fan, I would rather see Rosario in there because we have all seen what he can do when goes on these streaks, but I can understand why as we get closer to the postseason why they would want to start giving Pillar some opportunities to keep him sharp because we will need him come October.

yawny06
AG
Also, sure would be nice if Cleveland could win a couple of games today...
Aggie1205
AG
Say Ohtani gets shut down completely, does he still win AL MVP?
yawny06
AG
I would say yes, but I can also see why someone else would get the nod if Ohtani doesn't play the remainder of the season.

Can you imagine if someone traded for him on what would have been a rental for the second half of 2023, only to have him get shutdown? Yikes...
yawny06
AG
yawny06
AG
Harris with a big game. Strider dominant. Bullpen shuts the door. Braves win 5-1.
yawny06
AG
Fried gets the win. Bats casually put together 7 runs. Dodgers lose. Braves win. One week away from Aggie football. Good weekend!
Aggie1205
AG
Not good from McHugh.
yawny06
AG
McHughā€¦he has not been good.
yawny06
AG
That is a spot where we really miss Chavez. You just need someone to get in there and throw strikes and not walk anyone.

As I am typing, Ozuna crushes it to make it a one run game.

I love this team. They are NEVER out of it.
NE PA Ag
Hello Braves fans. Wondering if any Braves fan posting here that follows the farm closely has opinions about the potential for a prospect.

One of my good friends is uncle to catcher Drake Baldwin. Drake played college ball at Missouri State and was drafted in the 3rd round last year by the Braves. I was just told by my friend that Drake was moved up to AA Mississippi from high A Rome yesterday. Seems like a very nice trajectory for someone that is in his first full season in the minors.
The Anchor
AG
Albies is back in the lineup tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.