Braves Thread

120,320 Views | 2067 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Aggie1205
Nitro Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the record, I know this is a Braves thread, but I'm hoping I can get back to hating them the way I did in 97-2000. Once they started their rebuild I lost interest in the hate (metaphorical hate of course). I remember Larry Jones...the guy I loved to hate and hated to love. I hope he gets in to coaching some day.
Baron von Bulsh
If you couldn't hate us these last 4 years (when we won the division) and especially last year (when we won the whole enchilada), it's probably because your team sucked and was uncompetitive.
Nitro Power
AG
Uhhh...Mets fan...
Baron von Bulsh
I know, I just wanted to rub it in a little
yawny06
AG
Rough inning for Matzek…
yawny06
AG
Great game…

Ends on a strike 'em out, throw 'em out double play. That was the second one of the game for Travis, who also had a clutch hit in the 8th to get that third and decisive run.

Fried did Fried things, again. AJ looked great. Jansen gave up a couple hits, but he got it done.
yawny06
AG
Oh, and our defense was stellar while the Brew Crew struggled for a second straight game with multiple errors. Really was the difference tonight.
yawny06
AG
Bats are alive today…

yawny06
AG
Looks like they are starting to get out of neutral.

Charlie got himself in trouble a couple of times, but pitched out of it.

Bottom of the lineup really got things going. Dansby has looked much better at the plate and we are getting production from our catcher regardless of who is behind the plate. Duvall also went yard today, so just have a feeling he is about to get it going.

We were also active on the base paths with 3 stolen bases including a double steal.

Defense was outstanding again, while the Brewers had another multiple error game. Demeritte made some great plays this series, playing both right and left field. He has been a nice spark in the absence of Rosario.

Feels good to get a series win against the NL Central leader.
clinte234
AG
yawny…just wanted to say that I really appreciate these game recaps you post. I don't typically get to watch many games so it is really helpful to get a quick synopsis to go along with the box score, without spending time on another message board. Thanks!
yawny06
Aggie1205
AG
https://www.batterypower.com/2022/5/10/23064817/aj-minter-elite-reliever-atlanta-braves

Great article on Minter.

Quote:

Since the beginning of 2020, Minter has pitched 86 innings, faced 350 batters, has a 2.84 ERA, a 2.49 FIP and has been worth 2.3 fWAR. That fWAR ranks him as the 12th best reliever in all of baseball since 2020, and only four spots away from teammate Kenley Jansen, considered one of the best closers of all time.
yawny06
AG
Rough inning for Kyle Wright.
yawny06
AG
Matzek comes in the 6th, walks the first batter and then misses badly on first 3 pitches to Hernandez. He fights back, gets a pop out, then strikes out Devers with high heat, and gets a line out (with a solid play from Acuna) to end the inning.

Matzek has had some rough outings lately but after a shaky start to the inning tonight, he looked much, much better.

Our catchers are still producing, as Travis has a 2 run HR tonight to keep us in the game.
Aggie1205
AG
Outfield defense is still a problem. Demerite isnt comfortable coming in on balls, he let's too many drop in front of him. Now Duval drops one in center.
yawny06
AG
Tough play for Duvall there honestly.

Two bases loaded walks this game really hurt. And the whole inning started with a walk.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
The current outfield is not ideal, but looking into the future is exciting. We're probably about 2 years out from the everyday outfield being Acuña, Drew Waters and Michael Harris. Maybe even sooner, but the Harris ETA is probably 2024. He's been killing it I'm Double A. I think he's got superstar potential.
Baron von Bulsh
PermianBasinAggie said:

The current outfield is not ideal, but looking into the future is exciting. We're probably about 2 years out from the everyday outfield being Acuña, Drew Waters and Michael Harris. Maybe even sooner, but the Harris ETA is probably 2024. He's been killing it I'm Double A. I think he's got superstar potential.
I agree with you, but I'm a little leery too. Most people thought the same thing about Pache.
yawny06
AG
I think the outfield is, at the very least, sufficient.

Demeritte actually made a great diving catch against the Brewers that saved a couple runs and ultimately the game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/max-fried-in-play-out-s-to-christian-yelich-tjwhkk?t=most-popular

Walks are what plagued us last night. The Sox only scored in the 2nd and the 9th, and it all started with walks, including bases loaded walks in both innings.

yawny06
AG
Arcia and Demeritte, the 8 and 9 hole hitters, got us on the board with a single and homer.

Dansby, batting first tonight, walks and steals second, then scores on a Matt Olsen double to tie the game after being down 3-0.
yawny06
AG
Arcia with the walk off 2 run HR in the bottom of the 9th!

Big night from the bottom of the line up!
yawny06
AG
Arcia had three hits tonight after not playing in over a week. Albies lead off the 9th with an oppo single. Braiser tossed more to first than to the plate, and made a big mistake after going down 2-0 to Arcia.

Minter, Smith, and Jansen were locked in. McHugh got a couple of big outs, including a bases loaded called strike out to end the Boston 6th.
yawny06
AG
Bottom of the lineup at it again…

Contreras is in some kind of zone…
yawny06
AG
How about at 4 run, 2 out rally to take the lead!

From, you guessed it, the 5-9 hitters, capped by a Dansby 3 run homer!
yawny06
yawny06
AG
Two infield errors and a wild pitch in the 8th inning ruin a great pitching effort for Morton and result in 4 runs, turning a 2-1 lead into a 5-2 deficit.

Just a horrible inning for the infield.
yawny06
AG
Ozuna picked a great time to come back to life.

Tie ball game after a monster 2 run jack!
yawny06
AG
And Riley redeems his 8th inning error with a double to take back the lead!
yawny06
AG
Jansen finishes it off with a perfect 9th (he got 5 outs on 15 pitches) to get the win. It is shame that Charlie did not get the win because he was outstanding today.

Braves score 4 runs with two outs in the 8th to retake the lead after a disastrous top half of that inning.

Big time come from behind win, hope it springboards this team.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Back to back strong starts from Charlie, that's encouraging. Back to back poor appearances from Will Smith. That Kenley Jansen pickup is looking better and better. Glad Austin Riley redeemed himself after that awful defensive play in the 8th inning.
yawny06
AG
Will Smith gets a little bit of slack. He went from a sure second out with no one on to a runner at second with only one out.
yawny06
AG
We are a strike out machine and not in a good way right now. 16K effort yesterday at the plate followed by 13 tonight thru 8.

yawny06
AG
And we have back to back 16K games at the plate, including 8 of the last 9 outs. Just ugly.

Ian Anderson pitched well along with Strider.

Difference in the game tonight was a single pitch in the dirt that got away and allowed a runner to score.

Ozzie deserves an Oscar. In the 7th, he "fielded" a soft liner that he actually caught. However, he flipped it to Dansby who then completed the double play. In real time it fooled the umps and the TV crew because it looked like it bounced into his glove, when it actually bounced off his glove into his glove. He sold it perfectly and stole an out. I can't believe that wasn't reviewable.
yawny06
AG
Acuna back in the lineup tonight. Been out five games. We need his energy.

yawny06
AG
On pace for 12 strike outs tonight…really hope they get this trend reversed soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.