Braves Thread

120,501 Views | 2067 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Aggie1205
yawny06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After about 20 straight innings over 3 games of being scoreless, we finally push one across in the 5th!
yawny06
AG
That one run was enough…but Ozuna gave us a little insurance. Jansen shuts it down like a boss in the bottom of the 9th.

We were shut out last night and returned the favor tonight. Cannot say enough about the pitching, it has been really good. Just have to get the bats going.

yawny06
AG
Austin and Marcell get back to back jacks to give Fried a 4-0 lead.

It all started with 2-outs; Acuna got hit by a pitch, Olsen singles. Riley smoked a 3-2 cutter for the 3-run dinger. They tried to go inside on Marcell, but missed a little and left a change up right in the sweet spot. Both were no doubters.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
I hate the extra innings rules.
yawny06
AG
Tough one to lose today...gotta give both teams credit, they just would not go away.

Jansen blows his first save of the year by giving up a 2 out triple in the bottom of the 9th.

Braves managed to put pressure on them by scoring in the 10th and 11th, but the game ends on a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 11th.

yawny06
AG
PermianBasinAggie said:

I hate the extra innings rules.
I second that motion...
yawny06
AG
Nice start tonight. 3 runs early. Marcell hits a homer, he now has hit one in 3 straight games.
yawny06
AG
Bats are alive tonight. 5 runs, 3 home runs.
yawny06
AG
Contreras goes yard twice today…we may have to find a way to include him the lineup more.
yawny06
AG
Really interesting bottom of the 9th. A little too interesting…two quick outs, but then a walk, an infield hit, and a soft double cuts the lead to one and brings Soler to the plate with a chance to walk it off with a base hit. But, Jansen strikes out Soler on three pitches with the tying run on 3rd and go ahead run on second.
yawny06
AG
Walk off win after a blown Jansen save…Harper had a big homer to give the Phillies the lead in top of the 9th.

Contreras with the game winning hit, scoring Acuna, who drove in Dansby on a bad, bad play by the Phillies outfield.

Good to be back in win column. Big win to tie the series.
yawny06
AG
Love the fight this team is displaying right now.

They have managed to respond when they needed it, especially tonight. After going down 1-0, we get a 4 spot the next inning. After the Phillies tied it up, we got 2 in the next inning, with a chance to get some more.

Contreras is a beast right now.
yawny06
AG
For context on Contreras, he has 7 home runs and 11 RBIs in just 44 ABs over 13 games.

yawny06
AG
https://www.mlb.com/braves/video/jose-alvarado-ball-to-austin-riley-l2kqnl

I wish I could find the Phillies radio call of this play…it was something like "that ball should have been stopped, if not by the second guy at least the third guy"…

Aggie1205
AG
Acuna scratched last night due to quad tightness. Hope it's nothing serious. Contreras has been great to keep in the lineup but that means either he plays left, takes the C spot or DHs. Any of those options make the OF defense worse than it already is. Demeritte has cooled off recently and I read where his OAA was in the 11th percentile and his OF jump rating was in the 1st percentile. Backs up what I had seen in person, he struggles to see and react to the ball off the bat. Too many line drives dropping in front of him.
yawny06
AG
Bounced back with a 6 run night after the lackluster offense from last night carried over into tonight for the first four innings. Riley got it going with a homer on the first pitch in the fifth, with Contreras and Demeritte driving in a run each.

Ian Anderson had a rough sixth inning, but he looked fantastic through the first five. The bullpen held serve and Acuna came through with a pinch hit double to tie the game in the 7th and Albies got a double after Dansby walked to score two more.

yawny06
AG
Harris called up to the big show!
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Wow, that's an aggressive promotion. I'm excited to see what he does. He might be the last of the elite prospects for a while, unless you include Drew Waters (which I still do, but he's not a lock).
yawny06
AG
Got his first hit and scores a run for the Braves in the 6th!
yawny06
AG
Quick summary…guy who shut us down last Sunday did it again today.

yawny06
AG
Rough inning for Matt Olson.

Whiffs and strikes out with runners on second and third, hit at a minimum ties the game.

Goes to bottom half and inexplicably drops a good throw to first base on what would have been an inning ending double play. Instead, we give them a free out and they manage to capitalize on the mistake and push three runs across to make it a 6-2 game.

yawny06
AG
Olson with a big bounce back tonight!

2 doubles, a homer, and 4 RBIs.
yawny06
AG
Harris gets his first major league RBI, knocking in Ozzie to extend the lead, 6-2.
Aggie1205
AG
Bullpen cant hold on and the Braves fell in extra innings.

Going to need another 2nd half surge plus a Mets collapse this year. It's the Mets so its entirely possible.
yawny06
AG
Yes, and we really missed some opportunities to break the game even further open in the earlier innings.

Harris hit into a possible double play, but beat out the throw. However, the short stop never touched second (was not even really close), but Duvall was called out. No review or challenge on that one, but it cost us a run as Acuna smoked a double that scored Harris from first. Acuna tried to stretch it to a triple and got thrown out at third. Dansby followed up with a single that would have scored Acuna easily from second had he just lived with a double. That turned a 2 or 3 run inning into a 1 run inning.

We just cannot seem to get over that hump and stretch together some wins.
yawny06
AG
Got the W today with a 6-0 shutout.

yawny06
AG
Travis with a big night. 2 homers, one of which was a grand slam, and 6 RBIs. And it is only the 5th inning…
yawny06
AG
Great game tonight…offense is clicking!
yawny06
AG
Three in a row!
yawny06
AG
Did not get to watch the game last night, but Max had an outstanding pitching performance. 8 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs. One of only six visiting pitchers to ever do that at Coors Field.

Crazy game all the way around, 0-0 tie through nine. Braves score game's first run on a wild pitch.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Too bad Max didn't get the dub, but glad they won. I read that was only the second game ever at Coors Field that went to extra innings tied at zero.
yawny06
AG
Yes, and one of the pitchers involved in the previous time that happened was Greg Maddux (although not with the Braves).

We missed some chances early to push a run or two across. We have been very aggressive on the base paths recently and it is a high risk/high reward approach. Since I did not see the game, not sure exactly what happened, but the game track made it seem like we tried a double steal with runners on the corners, and Acuna got thrown out at home. Swanson also got thrown out stealing in a later inning.

I don't think the Rockies ever really had a good scoring opportunity until extra innings with the runner starting on second.
yawny06
AG
Four in a row and back to .500!

Another dominant pitching performance tonight. Took 11 innings this go around, but 4 two out runs in the top of the 11th, capped by a Duvall homer, finally broke the game open.
Aggie1205
AG
Scored three in the first but Morton gave them all back. Now three more in the top of the 2nd.
yawny06
AG
Can't walk people…it will bite you.

Charlie can have a bad first inning but then settle down. Hoping that is the case today.

At the Rangers/Mariners game with my boys, so just following this game on game tracker.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.