Braves Thread

120,401 Views | 2067 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Aggie1205
78669AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bingram1230 said:

Braves have also signed Collin McHugh and re-signed Eddie Rosario to 2 year deals. On top of getting Yates once he is healthy that is. Not bad moves despite the pain of losing Freeman.

Rosario is key. Hoping with universal dh we can keep Soler
Aggie1205
AG
Also got Dickerson and Thornburg on no guaranteed deals.

The extension to Olsen certainly looks to be a good deal based on expectations.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Just signed Kenley Jansen! That's a shocker. The bullpen is now legit 6 deep. Smith, Matzek, Minter, Jansen, McHugh, Jackson. Considering how heavily teams work their bullpens these days, that's the right approach. Need to fill it out with one or two inning eaters for low leverage situations, but that shouldn't be too hard. I really like this signing.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
wrong topic
clinte234
AG
Opening Day!!
Dennis Reynolds
aggiephoenix02
Tomahawk Chop, baby!
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
yawny06
AG
Team got their World Series rings tonight…those things looked amazing!

Kyle Wright with 6 shut out innings giving up on two hits tonight to get get us win #2.

Another interesting 9th inning, two nights in a row with two different closers…
aggiephoenix02
I haven't been able to watch a full game yet, but we're looking good in the highlights…
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
yawny06
AG
Pitching has looked good outside a couple of innings.

Left some runners on last night that would have blown the game open, but still got the W.
yawny06
AG
Rough day for Ian on the mound.

Matt Olson is as advertised. 8-14 this series with a couple of doubles and a homer.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Anderson's mechanics were a mess yesterday. Not too surprising with the short spring. I'm confident he'll get it straightened out, but with a shortened season, you can't endure too many starts like that. The bullpen should be a real strength though, especially with the expanded rosters and universal DH allowing for longer relief appearances. Anderson's next start should probably be treated like a spring training start. Let him get through the lineup once and then hand it of to the pen. Spend the rest of April stretching him out.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Ynoa was not good last night. Neither was Tucker Davidson. Spencer Strider did okay though. He overcame some shakiness early and pitched effectively. Bryce Elder got the call up and is starting tonight. I'm excited about this one.
yawny06
AG
Strider looked good in his other appearance.

Giving up 5 run innings are hard to overcome (there was 2 last night) but you are not going to win many games going hitless innings 2-8.
clinte234
AG
How is everyone watching the Braves? I have YouTube TV so adding Bally Southeast does not appear to be an option.
yawny06
AG
MLB extra innings with Dish.

PermianBasinAggie
AG
I have DirecTV, and the MLB extra innings package is always free for the first week or so. After that, it will just be whenever they come on ESPN, Fox, MLB, etc
yawny06
AG
Bats are alive tonight!
PermianBasinAggie
AG
16 runs on 19 hits a day after going for 2 runs on 4 hits. Baseball is weird.

Bryce Elder was pretty good tonight. They probably should have let him hit the showers after 5, but that's okay.
yawny06
AG
Watching Dee Strange Gordon pitch was pretty comical and awkward at the same time.

Stephens pitched pretty good tonight as well. Two guys who just got called up today had 8 2/3rds of the game.
Dennis Reynolds
clinte234 said:

How is everyone watching the Braves? I have YouTube TV so adding Bally Southeast does not appear to be an option.
MLB.TV
yawny06
AG
Feels good to get that W last night after a rough start to the series.
The Anchor
AG
Thanks for updating this thread! I'm mostly a lurker here and you are helping me keep up.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Ian Anderson got back on track today and the bullpen provided some more stellar work. Lots of homers. Need to win tomorrow and take the series.
yawny06
AG
It was a good day for sure.

Eddie really needs to get something positive going at the plate. He has not had a good start to the season.

Cannot wait to see what this line up can do with Acuna back in the mix.

clinte234
AG
Braves on ESPN tomorrow!
yawny06
AG
Of course, Freddie hits his first homerun as a Dodger against the Braves...

Did not get to watch much of the game as we had Little League last night but sounds like a "questionable" pitching change really cost us. Ynoa did not look good again and Snitker went with Newcomb first out of the bullpen, who then walked Freddie on four pitches and gave up a 3-run double to Turner. I am not sure how "questionable" the decision really is for an April game, but I guess folks need something to talk about. I realize neither of these guys have been very good as of late, but it is April, and they need a chance to prove themselves.

We are hitting home runs, but they have mostly been solo shots (not sure on the exact number, but it is like 12 out of 15 or thereabouts). Example, Matt Olson is hitting .452 with 2 HR and 2 RBI. That is just nuts. We have some definite holes in the lineup right now (Rosario @ .065, Dickerson @ .048, and Swanson @ .143), but you would expect both Rosario and Swanson to get going at some point, then you can insert Acuna back into the lineup, moving Ozuna to the DH instead of Dickerson. (In Dickerson's defense, I have seen him crush the ball multiple times, but some good defensive plays have taken hits away from him).
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Ynoa got sent down today and Newcomb got the dreaded DFA. Not sure Ynoa has the emotional maturity to be a successful MLB pitcher long term. When a guy punches a wall and breaks his pitching hand at the first sign of struggle, like last year, you have to wonder what you're dealing with. And I guess Newcomb finally ran out of chances

Touki got called up, speaking of guys running low on chances. Maybe he'll finally put it together with some consistency.
yawny06
AG
Fried with a dominating pitching performance last night for the W. Jansen with a 3 up/3 down 9th was nice to see. Matzek gave up a run but no hits. Guess he is human after all!

PermianBasinAggie
AG
Great stuff from Fried last night. I'd like to see a few more runs considering they had 13 guys reach base. But at least they finally got a little production from the bottom of the lineup. Also, Acuna looked really good in Gwinnett last night, so I expect him back in Atlanta soon.

It's funny that last night Kenley Jansen got the final out against Freddie. And the night before Kimbrel closed it out for LA. It's like Jerry Seinfeld said...sports fans are really just rooting for clothing.
Aggie1205
AG
Newcomb traded to the Cubs for Chavez. Maybe they can turn him around.

Touki and Lee back down.
clinte234
AG
Just got tickets for Braves/Rangers in Arlington on Friday 4/29. Family is looking forward to our first game in the new ballpark!
Aggie1205
AG
Riley back from the paternity list takes the final roster spot.
yawny06
AG
Olson with a big double to get two runs across! His first RBIs that were not from a solo homerun.
yawny06
AG
Kyle Wright with a career high 11 K's tonight.

O'Day got a couple outs.

Tyler Matzek, who is not of this earth, got four big outs to set up Jansen, who owns the 9th.

Love dominate pitching!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.