Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

527,936 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by robstrom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Melonite is the material used to line the inside of the barrel. I think your options are cerakote or a sharpie.

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Super-Black-Touch/dp/B00BGH0Y0W
texags08
AG
26.2 said:

Melonite is the material used to line the inside of the barrel. I think your options are cerakote or a sharpie.

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Super-Black-Touch/dp/B00BGH0Y0W

I have personal experience with this stuff. We used it on some anodized aluminum chassis at my old job. It is a true flat black and great for small touch ups.

Pro tip: dab it with your finger after applying to blend it in.
reveille23
Gilley

I used your shot in the dark as a place to start...the small disconnector spring was in there. But I looked at all the other springs and found that I had placed the trigger spring in there backwards. Got it switched around and now I'm in business.
CTGilley
AG
Good Deal! Glad I could help? Kinda? I guess?

Glad everything is working now.
Bazooka Joe
AG
Ya know, the most frustrating thing about tinkering with my AR are all the "stupid taxes." Yesterday, I found out what awesome projectiles the buffer retaining pins make. Add $9.00 to my "stupid tax" for a new pin and spring.

I know at some point I will just rename this "experience" but until the new parts arrive I will just feel stupid.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Bazooka Joe said:

Ya know, the most frustrating thing about tinkering with my AR are all the "stupid taxes." Yesterday, I found out what awesome projectiles the buffer retaining pins make. Add $9.00 to my "stupid tax" for a new pin and spring.

I know at some point I will just rename this "experience" but until the new parts arrive I will just feel stupid.

Detent springs are always the ones I seem to launch into oblivion.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I think I need to stop at two builds then, I haven't managed to lose any springs pins or detents yet
gibberish
AG
For my billet build I used the battle arms EPS. Super easy to install but pricey.

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/bad-eps-enhanced-pin-set-ar15
Pasquale Liucci
AG
I saw it posted on here before I built my first gun - after completing one I can say it is totally true - a man does not know true despair until he launches a detent spring halfway across the room into parts unknown
DatTallArchitect
AG
This intrigues me. Do you feel like it's worth the extra cash?
gibberish
AG
Yes, to me they were worth it for two reasons. It was a billet build so wanted nice touches were possible and also they really are easier to pull or push out due to the textures and shapes.

But the value question is personal, milspec pivot pins will certainly do the job too.

Zjones920
Can you guys recommend a scope for me. i'm looking for something to mount on my 300blk. I like the vortex diamondback hp and the strikefire II hog hunter edition. Is there anything else around that price range I should be looking at?
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Zjones920 said:

Can you guys recommend a scope for me. i'm looking for something to mount on my 300blk. I like the vortex diamondback hp and the strikefire II hog hunter edition. Is there anything else around that price range I should be looking at?
Check out the Primary Arms 1-4x scope with the ACSS reticle calibrated for 300blk. Its in that same budget.
Van Buren Boy
AG
gumby579 said:

Just finished this one up after I got the stamp this week. Figured this would be the most appropriate place to post it. Thanks to EyeGuy for the upper/lower!
Ready to build my 300 BO. I hope that gumby ascribes to the adage that imitation is the highest form of flattery. https://instagr.am/p/BPnTJX0gN6R
MTxTwelve
Ready for some weekend fun.

Waiting on an Aimpoint T2 and Wilcox Scope Ring Platform so I can mount it piggyback-style on the Nightforce. It'll make for a pretty sweet night shooter.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What is the difference in your 2 uppers?
MTxTwelve
cpsencik04 said:

What is the difference in your 2 uppers?
Oh boy, they are two completely different uppers:

Upper attached to the lower:
16" SS Krieger Barrel (SPR profile)
KAC FF RAS
Allen Engineering Brake and Collar
Allen Engineering Model 5 Suppressor
Nightforce Rings
Nightforce 2.5-10x24 scope
Atlas Bipod
PEQ15
Insight M3X

Shorter upper:
10.3" barrel (cut-down Colt GOVT profile)
Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II Rail
KAC QD flash hider for their NT4 suppressor
KAC Riser
Eotech EXPS3-0
PEQ15
Insight M3X
TangoDown Vertical Grip
maverick2076
Zjones920 said:

My buddy is running Primary Arm's 2.5x fixed power scope with the ACSS reticle on his .300 and loves it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Well I guess my biggest question wasn't really towards the accessories but more to...are they both 556, or is one barrel a different caliber? Is the shorter considered an SBR and you just interchange rather than having a full separate rifle?
The Wonderer
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Well I guess my biggest question wasn't really towards the accessories but more to...are they both 556, or is one barrel a different caliber? Is the shorter considered an SBR and you just interchange rather than having a full separate rifle?
I'd assumed the lower is a registered SBR and he's just swapping uppers as desired.
MTxTwelve
cpsencik04 said:

OK - that makes sense. I wasn't sure what exactly what you were looking for - so I just stated the obvious haha. This 16" upper shares the SBR lower, yes.
The Wonderer
AG
I have the same plan for whenever my SBR lower gets its stamp in the next two months or so. One case with the rifle upper attached, the SBR upper housed, multiple mags of different bullet types and can (whenever that happens down the road). Basically just a grab-n-go box.
BenderRodriguez
AG
So I know we've had people ask about a first AR on here.

I'm currently putting together another AR that would be my "one and only" if I could just have one, but for now this one is pretty close (and some parts are going off this one and onto that one eventually).

If I didn't have one and wanted to buy only one AR to do everything with, this is what I would want:

16" barrel, midlength gas, free float ALG rail, G Trigger, B5 stock, K grip, TLR 1 light, 1-4 variable scope.

Midlength is reliable and soft shooting, light is necessary on a home defense gun, 1-4 scope can be used on 1x close up/in the house and still be used for 300 yard work easily.

This one doesn't have the free float ALG rail or the G trigger, but the next gun will fix those issues. Even so, out of my assembled ARs right now if I could keep only one this would be it.

TamuKid
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

So I know we've had people ask about a first AR on here.

I'm currently putting together another AR that would be my "one and only" if I could just have one, but for now this one is pretty close (and some parts are going off this one and onto that one eventually).

If I didn't have one and wanted to buy only one AR to do everything with, this is what I would want:

16" barrel, midlength gas, free float ALG rail, G Trigger, B5 stock, K grip, TLR 1 light, 1-4 variable scope.

Midlength is reliable and soft shooting, light is necessary on a home defense gun, 1-4 scope can be used on 1x close up/in the house and still be used for 300 yard work easily.

This one doesn't have the free float ALG rail or the G trigger, but the next gun will fix those issues. Even so, out of my assembled ARs right now if I could keep only one this would be it.

5.56? Or would you do 223 Wylde?

Also, assuming, low pro gas block instead of front sight block? And also assuming some sort of back up iron sights?
BenderRodriguez
AG
TamuKid said:

Also, assuming, low pro gas block instead of front sight block? And also assuming some sort of back up iron sights?

Yeah, that one started as a dissipator so it has a low pro gas block, and also an A2 sight mounted out at the end so with irons it was a 16" gun with the 20" A2 sight radius. Replacement favorite will have low pro block, 5.56 (though 223 wylde is fine too).

No on the back up irons. If I knew I was only going to have one, I'd just save up and do a TA33.

Basically, this right here would be about perfect:

gumby579
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

gumby579 said:

Just finished this one up after I got the stamp this week. Figured this would be the most appropriate place to post it. Thanks to EyeGuy for the upper/lower!
Ready to build my 300 BO. I hope that gumby ascribes to the adage that imitation is the highest form of flattery. https://instagr.am/p/BPnTJX0gN6R
Gumby approves
BenderRodriguez
AG
Another important home defense accessory:

Because sometimes bad guys shoot back.

I'll be ditching the double rifle mag pouch/pistol mag pouches in favor of a thinner 3 rifle mag pouch set up soon. Too damn bulky to double stack AR mags on the front of the carrier, but it came with the PC so I'm using it for now.

gumby579
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Another important home defense accessory:

Because sometimes bad guys shoot back.

I'll be ditching the double rifle mag pouch/pistol mag pouches in favor of a thinner 3 rifle mag pouch set up soon. Too damn bulky to double stack AR mags on the front of the carrier, but it came with the PC so I'm using it for now.

Going to need a linky for that for sure please sir
maverick2076
I went with 3 HSGI tacos on mine, although I would have gone with the G Code Scorpions if they'd been available. They are pricey, but I can switch rifles without having to change mag carriers. Plus I have an Esstac Fastmag dual rifle mag carrier and a matching dual pistol mag carrier on a belt. With my pistol holster and IFAK.
BenderRodriguez
AG
gumby579 said:

Going to need a linky for that for sure please sir

Carrier: Plate Carrier for $85 (plus 10% off if you use code CHOP)

Plates: Two options here. Steel and Ceramic. To make a long story short, ceramic stops more threats than steel will, and is lighter than steel. The only negative of ceramic plates is cost...but those have come down a lot.

So, if you want plates but have to absolutely spend the bare minimum: AR500 steel plates for $65 a plate

If you want the best, lightest protection available: Ceramic plates for $160 a plate (10% and free shipping with code BITTERCLING).

So you could get into some sort of protection for under $300 with steel armor, and that wouldn't be bad.

But at only $200 bucks more, I think ceramic has come down enough in price to make it worth it over steel.

ETA: If you get side plates, go with 6x6 over the 6x8 IMO.
TamuKid
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

TamuKid said:

Yeah, that one started as a dissipator so it has a low pro gas block, and also an A2 sight mounted out at the end so with irons it was a 16" gun with the 20" A2 sight radius. Replacement favorite will have low pro block, 5.56 (though 223 wylde is fine too).

No on the back up irons. If I knew I was only going to have one, I'd just save up and do a TA33.

Basically, this right here would be about perfect:

Curious as to why no BUIS? I know they're seldom used on a rifle with an optic, but they are kind of like insurance. In that you hope you never have to use it, but makes you feel a whole lot better just in case.
Puryear Playboy
AG
There are reasons for both options. Ceramic plates can be broken, and once hit need to be replaced.

Steel might be a better option for those without proper instruction or a big army logistical supply chain.
txyaloo
AG
This!

Ceramic is lighter but can also be delicate. They generally can't be thrashed around like steel, and often, after one shot you lose any protection. They're not a good choice for keeping in a car or "go bag". They may look find on the outside but have internal structural issues that would negate their protective value. Lots of folks x-ray their ceramic plates yearly to check for those issues. Steel, while heavy, can usually absorb multiple shots and obviously isn't delicate. They each have their place.
87IE
AG
FYI...

Geissele trigger, LPK, and Stripped lower for $240.

BenderRodriguez
AG
TamuKid said:

Curious as to why no BUIS? I know they're seldom used on a rifle with an optic, but they are kind of like insurance. In that you hope you never have to use it, but makes you feel a whole lot better just in case.
Answering your own question here.

If I'm shooting for fun my optic is broken or stops working, I'll go home and fix it or replace it.

If I'm in some sort of self defense situation I'm going to either point shoot with the broken optic while I retreat, or transition to a pistol while I retreat. In no scenario am I going to pause to remove the optic, flip up iron sights and then try to reengage with a backup sight system.

Guys went into the field with ACOGs and no BUIS in Iraq and Afghanistan because the ACOGs are that tough. A Marine friend of mine told me "you're more likely to break the BUIS than the ACOG". If I put a TA33 on a gun, there is no reason to waste money and weight mounting irons as well.

If you want to do it, go for it. But unless you're setting up an AR for 3 gun with 45 deg offsets or just like the look, I don't see much point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.