Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,148 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
GigemCO2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where and when is this said run and gun in August?
BenderRodriguez
AG
North of Houston. Aug 4th-6th. If you're on Arf you may have heard of it: Cola Warrior.

Combination obstacle course/run/peep eating/coke chugging/pistol and rifle shooting/most likely vomiting.

Combined with some camping out, grilling, socializing with other people dumb/stupid enough to think any of that in August in Houston sounds fun.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
North of Houston. Aug 4th-6th. If you're on Arf you may have heard of it: Cola Warrior.

Combination obstacle course/run/peep eating/coke chugging/pistol and rifle shooting/most likely vomiting.

Combined with some camping out, grilling, socializing with other people dumb/stupid enough to think any of that in August in Houston sounds fun.
that sounds like fun.
Average Joe
AG
So looking at EyeGuys standard LPK deal, and debating buying a trigger and grip separate. Why do trigger kits jump from $30 to $200+? I see a few for cheaper, but they are on sale from over $200.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Because a Geissele trigger is worth it.
Average Joe
AG
Maybe, but it would be an almost 50% increase in the price of the rifle.
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
So looking at EyeGuys standard LPK deal, and debating buying a trigger and grip separate. Why do trigger kits jump from $30 to $200+? I see a few for cheaper, but they are on sale from over $200.

Where are you seeing this? Link?
BenderRodriguez
AG
For a first rifle, a standard GI trigger is just fine. They're not bad triggers at all.

But still....G triggers are nice.
mts6175
AG
The new Larue triggers are great too
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Because a Geissele trigger is worth it.
Love my SSA-E's!
TamuKid
AG
Just wanted to give a PSA, DOA Arms has Aero Precision Upper and Lower Sets in stock for 139. Free shipping. Great deal if you're wanting an upper/lower combo.

And I have two MBT-2S triggers from Larue. I like them a lot. Great price for a good trigger.
jpb1999
AG
Can someone tell me if AR10s have been discussed in this thread? If so a page range to look through? If not, any experts opinions on good build kits or basic price range? The few places I have searched so far seem to be out of stock or just not near the quantity or options as in the AR15 world?
AG @ HEART
My recent parts swap and build
One on the right is a 80% polymer build and the left is a build

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Best bang for the buck trigger, IMO, is the ALG ACT. Significantly better than milspec but well under $100. After that... catch a POF trigger on sale for $130 or so when they put them on sale or a Larue MBT. After that, just go Geissele, CMC Machine, or better depending on what you want to shell out dollar wise.
tx4guns
AG
I put a Velocity trigger in my last build, and it's awesome. Highly recommend them.
BenderRodriguez
AG
They have a couple of times, but basically AR-10s are not as easy as AR-15s. Less compatability across brands, etc.

DPMS and PSA make popular guns that aren't too expensive to get into.

You can go really nuts/expensive on the other end too if you want.

I would want to make sure I got one that took the 308 PMags. Not all of them do.

maverick2076
quote:
Best bang for the buck trigger, IMO, is the ALG ACT. Significantly better than milspec but well under $100. After that... catch a POF trigger on sale for $130 or so when they put them on sale or a Larue MBT. After that, just go Geissele, CMC Machine, or better depending on what you want to shell out dollar wise.

PSA's Enhanced Polished Trigger is a crazy good value also. At $29 when its on sale it's a no brainer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Question:

Will be running a 300blk with subs and supers and am really torn on what to do with optics.

I like red dot with subs and for night time hog/varmint hunting and SHTF.

I like the 1-4 or 1-6X illuminate reticle type scopes for all around hunting.

So my question is, is there a way to have both? Can I utilize the same mount for a sub and super that will hold zero when changing?

I have seen some really good mounts that appear to be capable of removing and then holding zero (American Defense).

The alternative is get an optic that does both, like the eotech BLk 300 or P300 but i am not real enthusiastic about either after the reviews.

Advice?
tx4guns
AG
I sighted my BLK in dead on at 100 with subs. They hit 2.5" high at 50 yards. Need to try supers to see where they hit, but basically just experiment to know your points of impact with a given zero. I wouldn't shoot anything much past 100 yards with a BLK anyway.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Three gun may have an answer for you.

Those guys have to engage close up targets quickly and long distance targets accurately, so some use a red dot on a 45 deg offset. You could set up a red dot offset and calibrated for subs, and use a 1-4 or 1-6 variable for supers.

Another option would be to zero the scope for both subs and supers, mark the zero point for both and just adjust the knobs any time you changed out between the two if you don't want to add the weight of an offset red dot.

ETA: Or just zero for one, and memorize your holdovers for the other.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't plan on shooting past 100yds with subs which is why I would like a red dot but I really don't like red dot or holographics past 100 with supers.

I'm trying to get best of both worlds I suppose.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good idea about marking zeros for both rounds... Didn't even think about that.

I have offset irons on my AR but really haven't used them yet. I like the idea of offset Red dot.

I assume it's relatively easy to get used to shooting that way?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
I assume it's relatively easy to get used to shooting that way?

I personally have no idea. I spend enough time and money shooting handgun competitions. Not into 3 gun yet, and that's where the offset stuff is most popular.

From what I've read though, other people find it easy, especially with a red dot where you don't need to be perfectly aligned behind the dot every time anyway.

nealan
Anyone shoot .458 socom? I was thinking of building one from one of my newly acquired lowers. But, holy Batman, the ammo! I don't reload and it seems to run about $2 a round!!!! Any decent ammo out there that's not quite as pricey?
AG @ HEART
Both handguards on my are ALG. The 15" Handguard and geissele super gas block is a blem special, got the rail for $115 regular $165 and the gas block for $29 over July 4th weekend and there's nothing noticeable at all I mean nothing. The lower parts kit in the poly was from psa and came with a ALG mil spec trigger. Blems are not a bad deal at all!
WC87
AG
Its probably been mentioned in the thread, but economical trigger upgrade recommendations? And how hard is it to swap out a trigger?
AG @ HEART
quote:
Its probably been mentioned in the thread, but economical trigger upgrade recommendations? And how hard is it to swap out a trigger?

For a guy new to ar's building one from scratch and a poly at that if you any kind of gun know how it's relatively easy. Plenty of how to's on the web.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I've been pondering the "just one AR" question today. As in, when someone comes to me and says they want to build just one AR to do it all, what should they go with.

This is hard for me. I have multiples from 20" down to 7.5" and lots of different options on different guns...and frankly, I like them all for different reasons.

So, if you're thinking about an AR and want to get one gun that will be good for a little of everything from recreational range fun to hunting to home defense, here's my list (others may disagree).

Must haves for a 1 AR family:

1) 16" barrel. Long enough to avoid legal issues, short enough to be useful. Fairly simple.

2) Adjustable stock. If you're going to have only one, everyone in the family should be able to use it. That means you need to be able to adjust the gun to fit the shooter, so....adjustable stock is a must.

3) Some means of mounting a light. Can't shoot what we can't identify, and can't see in the dark, and dark is half of most days. So, you need to be able to mount a light.

That's it. A 16" AR that anyone in the family can use and you can mount a light to will do everything you'd need an AR for.

Nice to haves:

1) Light weight free float tube. Helps with accuracy. I say light weight because you still want everyone to be able to use it. My 20" gun pictured on the last page weighs close to 12 lbs, in part thanks to the RAS handguards. That's not family friendly (and neither is the A2 stock, but that's why I have multiple ARs).

2) Optics. Red dot or Scope is the big argument here. If you're only using it for home defense and shooting within 100 yards, red dot is the clear winner. If you think you might stretch it out further for hunting or target shooting, a 1-4 variable is a great choice.

3) Nice trigger. We've all shot guns with nice triggers and guns with bad triggers. Guns that have good triggers are more pleasant to shoot. Geissele, LaRue, ALG, etc...pick your poison and price. I really like Geissele triggers.

This one is lacking the free float tube, but you get the idea....if you're only going to have one...make it something like this (ymmv, imo, etc, etc):

thoughts?
Average Joe
AG
Tested out a Velocity trigger on a buddy's build this morning. Very smooth and easy to work. It had a 4lb pull and was very solid when the safety was on. No movement in it at all.

The guy who started Velocity was with Timney for years, and I believe he is related to the family. At half the price of the high end guys it is going to be hard to beat.

txyaloo
AG
quote:
Question:

Will be running a 300blk with subs and supers and am really torn on what to do with optics.

I like red dot with subs and for night time hog/varmint hunting and SHTF.

I like the 1-4 or 1-6X illuminate reticle type scopes for all around hunting.

So my question is, is there a way to have both? Can I utilize the same mount for a sub and super that will hold zero when changing?

I have seen some really good mounts that appear to be capable of removing and then holding zero (American Defense).

The alternative is get an optic that does both, like the eotech BLk 300 or P300 but i am not real enthusiastic about either after the reviews.

Advice?

I'm running a 3-9x Leupold VX-R with the Fire Dot on a 300BLK. Works well well into dusk. I have my holdovers and turrets marked for subs, but 99% of the time, I use it with supers. I don't ever find myself switching between the two if I'm hunting. For SHTF, I'd want supers anyway.

Have you looked at an X-Sight 2? I believe the BDC is working now. Should make it easy to switch between rounds. They have some issues, but for night time hunting, it's something I'd consider
GSS
quote:
Anyone shoot .458 socom? I was thinking of building one from one of my newly acquired lowers. But, holy Batman, the ammo! I don't reload and it seems to run about $2 a round!!!! Any decent ammo out there that's not quite as pricey?
My son runs a 458 Socom, and said there are only three ammo makers...and a sole source of brass (Starline). He reloads, but just the bullets are $$$.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
bkag9824
AG
This is what I plan on doing, with free float.

Thoughts on 16" hand guard with a Flaming pig MB? Like the idea of being able to put irons at the very end of the barrel to increase sight picket just that much more, and the Flaming pig would give a nice clean end to the barrel.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Flaming pig is designed to direct concussion away from the shooter on short barrels. That's a lot of weight to put out on the end of a 16" barrel.
MTxTwelve
Here's a few shots of muh fam

Knight's M110 (Currently chambered in .308/7.62 ... Having a 6.5 CM barrel made for it)

Also managed to do this to it (Knight's has offered to fix it)

Mk12 Mod 1 chambered in 5.56. It's probably my favorite to shoot--it's just so smooth.

]

Next is my Knight's ECC, which is a 16" precision carbine. This is essentially the civi version of the Knight's M110K1. These are older pics of the rifle when I first purchased it. It's currently getting a nice coat of FDE Cerakote to mimic the M110K1 from the boys @ Texas Custom Guns in Alvin, Texas.

Here's the ECC lying next to the Mk12

This is my go to carbine i.e. 14.5" M4/AR15 in a SOPMOD "Block II" configuration. It's a little on the heavy side but it balances very well. I run drills with it, have shot 3-gun with it numerous times, and take it hunting. The 1-4x Elcan is just crazy good and makes this thing so versatile.

Here it is on the table with the Mk12 and Mk13 .300 win mag

Here's my Mk18 URG (10.3" SBR) or what ar15.com likes to call the "CQBR." It, too, is in what is considered a Block II configuration

Really like that I can break this rifle down into a smaller pelican case. Very portable

Here's an old pic of it lying next to the 14.5"

Here's a rifle that is currently dismembered and has been for over a year i.e. a 16" Mk12 variant referred to as a "Mod H." I got rid of the PRI handguard (tube) and am just waiting to find a unicorn Knight's rifle-length URX II (if that doesn't happen then i'll go to a KAC FF RAS). It wears the same Ops Inc. (what is now Allen Engineering) brake/suppressor collar as the Mk12 Mod 1. It's very accurate with 77gr pills, but it's a little to heavy for what it is.

dr_boogs
AG
You and I need to be friends. I'll bring the ammo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.