Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

493,667 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happened to stop by the thread and saw Bender mention me shooting the lightweight AR.

IMO that thing is what the AR platform should be, pretty sure Bender said something to pretty much the same effect that day. Damn sweet rifle, it's on the "one day" list to put together a similar one for my self
reddog90
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

reddog90 said:

Thank you.

Are you glad you went without a forward assist? I frequently press check and hit my forward assist. Not sure if I'd like not having one.

I don't have any experience with lightweight BCGs. Does running a lightweight BCG affect what you choose for a buffer and buffer spring? Does your setup work well?

I am. You can use your thumb on the BCG itself to push if needed after that.

It depends on the build. I started with standard buffer and spring to see how it did and I've had zero issues, but some people using them have had to experiment a little to find the right combo.

I love the gun, and the lighter weight from the forward assist delete and lightweight BCG absolutely play a part in that. It works great, it is my most used AR and I'll be busting it out for Cola Warrior this year.

CharlieBrown has shot it, he can tell you his impressions but it balances and handles exceptionally well. The AR was meant to be a lightweight fighting rifle and this gun gets back to that concept in a good way, I think.
Sounds awesome. Do you ever run adjustable gas blocks? I shoot suppressed a lot, but I've found I don't really like to adjust my SLR between shooting suppressed and unsupressed. But I still think it would be nice to have an AGB on my next build to tune the rifle just right for unsuppressed and then leave it.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have been shopping deals since February and got these(4 of them) put together last week.

I am in for about $1k each.
zag213004
AG
What are y'all thoughts on rifle reliability with Lightweight bolt carrier group (titanium) coupled with gas block for a variety of ammo: range vs match grade?
aggielostinETX
AG

The upper for my 6.5 Grendel build showed up today so I finished it.
Had the barrel for a while.
Still waiting on the stock for the lower, but I put it on my SBR.
CactusThomas
AG
Very nice
BreNayPop
AG
That toe... u and log related?
aggielostinETX
AG
I knew that was coming...
DatTallArchitect
AG
BreNayPop said:

That toe... u and log related?
POTD
bevokilla
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Big_Rig said:

Bender - what brand are those HK style sights? What do you think of them?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, saw this post, was going to dig up a link and then got distracted/busy.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/416-STYLE-PICATINNY-SIGHT-SET-W-HK-DIOPTER-p87.htm

I really like HK style diopter sights as back ups to red dots. I might have to pick up another set soon.

Thanks I just picked up a set
AgLA06
AG
Any suggestions for back up sights for .300 blackout? Was thinking 45 with the holisun up top. That late sight appears to be for .556 only (and a little expensive).
TexasAggies06
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Big_Rig said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, saw this post, was going to dig up a link and then got distracted/busy.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/416-STYLE-PICATINNY-SIGHT-SET-W-HK-DIOPTER-p87.htm

I really like HK style diopter sights as back ups to red dots. I might have to pick up another set soon.
Are there any benefits to those rotating drum style HK sights compared to say the Magpul BUIS?
txyaloo
AG
TexasAggies06 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Big_Rig said:

Are there any benefits to those rotating drum style HK sights compared to say the Magpul BUIS?
I think they're a whole lot easier to line up. The circle in a circle aiming system is just intuitive. The different circles are "sighted" for multiple ranges. So instead of 2 options with the MBUS, you have 4. They're also metal and not plastic like the MBUS
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgLA06 said:

Any suggestions for back up sights for .300 blackout? Was thinking 45 with the holisun up top. That late sight appears to be for .556 only (and a little expensive).

If you're talking about the HK style diopters linked above, they're usable for 300 blk. I have a set on my 300 blk gun.

But if you're wanting something on a 45 deg offset, I think the magpul flipdowns are a really good way to go.

BenderRodriguez
AG
TexasAggies06 said:

I'd say they're a little more durable/harder to knock off zero than flip up sights.

They're also quicker/easier to get on target for me as txyaloo mentioned.

I like them because I have the same style on an MP5 clone, .308 PTR rifles, my 300 blk gun, etc so its a sighting system I'm very familiar and comfortable with.

AgLA06
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AgLA06 said:

If you're talking about the HK style diopters linked above, they're usable for 300 blk. I have a set on my 300 blk gun.

Thanks. I read it wrong. I thought it said it was barrel / caliber specific instead of NOT barrel / caliber specific.
BenderRodriguez
AG
AgLA06 said:

Thanks. I read it wrong. I thought it said it was barrel / caliber specific instead of NOT barrel / caliber specific.

Gotcha. There are some HK 416/417 sights that ARE barrel/caliber specific, so it's good to be wary. Not all diopter sights will work with all guns, but these should work with most anything.

ETA: Only other thing is you will need an HK sight tool to adjust diopter sights.
zag213004
AG
Anyone have experience with Recoil systems such as the JP SCS and the Armaspec stealth recoil? What are your thoughts on the differences between the two or another manufacturer like Taccom.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I run the Armaspec system on my Grendel, and like it. It's smooth, and seems to do everything it says. I also have the PWS buffer tube with ratcheting castle nut on it.
Mr. Dubi
I just dropped a JP SCS in Dubi's 9mm AR. I seems to run a bit smoother and I can run any load through it reliably. The spring tension is more than that of an AR-10 or XP AR's spring, but it seems to reduce the recoil impulse without compromising the reliability that heavy buffers have in my experience.

I have not had tested it much, but I am hoping to get the reliability up to 100% once I get the magazines straightened out.

Disclaimer: I am not a JP sponsored shooter, but we did recieve the SCS at no charge in exchange for photograph copyrights.
35chililights
AG
I have the JP SCS in my 11.3" 300blk. It is very smooth and quiet. But I also have an adjustable gas block that's tuned to only return the gas necessary to cycle the bolt and strip off a new round. I've not run each component separately to see if one makes more of a difference than the other vs both together. But it is hella smooth.
Daddy-O5
AG

Posted on it's own thread too. I built the lower, but hate the grip I was just trying out just to try something different. It takes my hand too far away from the safety. Any suggestions for a new grip? I like the oversized stuff, just want to get my hand closer to the safety.
maverick2076
I really like the React grip from Mission First Tactical. It has interchangeable front and back straps, so you can really dial it in to fit your hand.
BenderRodriguez
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

It takes my hand too far away from the safety. Any suggestions for a new grip? I like the oversized stuff, just want to get my hand closer to the safety.

Other option is always a longer safety.

I'm a weird one I guess, I like as minimal of a pistol grip as I can get. I really like the old Magpul K grips the best out of anything, and I don't have small hands.

Daddy-O5
AG
I already swapped out the grip in the picture for a K2 I had on one of my other builds. I'm betting it ends up sticking. I keep playing around with others and that's what I always end up with.
Daddy-O5
AG
Thanks. I did see that one on PA, piqued my interest.
TexasAggies06
AG
I've built a couple of ARs in .223/5.56 and 300BLK, thinking about doing a 9mm pistol build next. I have a couple of standard PSA stripped lowers already that I bought on sale, but are the 9mm mag well adapters any good, or should I save those lowers for other builds and get a dedicated 9mm lower? Also, any big difference between using Colt or Glock mags other than personal preference?
maverick2076
I prefer Glock mags. There are so many options available for them, and if you already have a Glock, it should be a no brainer. Mine is a dedicated lower, so I can't speak to the mag block.
TexasAggies06
AG
I don't have a Glock, but do plan on getting one at some point. I sort of like the way the Colt mags look as opposed to the backward angle of the Glock mags, but not enough to make me pick Colt for that reason alone.
Mr. Dubi
I run a Rock River in my SBR. It works quite well, the only issue I ever have is light strikes from the 3lb trigger. The block doesn't work in Dubi's Spikes lowers though. I think the mag well is just a little too tight, we have had issues seating Magpul mags in it too at times.

The RR mag well adapter does fit in my PSA lower, but I have not tested it at the range yet.
reddog90
AG

New optics on my franken middy. New Scorpion build. Need to build a Bender-style lightweight middy. Then an AR9 and/or AR22.
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Need to build a Bender-style lightweight middy.

I'm flattered, but I stole most of my ideas for that build from the long lightweight build thread on AR15.com and the CWAR concept.

When I was warming things up for CWT, I shot that lightweight midlength a lot more than I have in the past few months. Still going strong with no issues. I've honestly been surprised at how well that gun has run with no adjustable gas block, a light weight BCG and mid gas on a slightly shorter barrel than midlength was designed for (14.5" pinned instead of a true 16" barrel).

I love all ARs, but it is hands down my favorite.

Chalupa Batman
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Posted on it's own thread too. I built the lower, but hate the grip I was just trying out just to try something different. It takes my hand too far away from the safety. Any suggestions for a new grip? I like the oversized stuff, just want to get my hand closer to the safety.

Who did the Cerakote on this gun? I'm looking to get a similar pattern on mine
Daddy-O5
AG
Shawn Kelso - Kelso firearms. He's up in the Bryan area, highly recommend. He's a regular on the board. It's his second job so it took him some time to complete, but well worth the wait if you have time. Even though I'm in Houston I initially decided to make the drive and use him because of recommendations from the board and I knew he had a maroon cerakote mix I'd be happy with.
Daddy-O5
AG
Not that anyone is really keeping track, but I changed out that grip for this one:

http://www.primaryarms.com/hogue-ar-15-overmolded-pistol-grip-beaver-tail-finger-grooves-black-ho15020

Feels really good. I'm actually taking it out this weekend to put to use, but I think I'm really going to be happy with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.