Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bender's Big AR-15 & Semi Auto Shilling Thread

499,163 Views | 2919 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by robstrom
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Looking at a SBR in 5.56 and would like to run a suppressor. Already have the lower, just trying to figure out which barrel length is best to run with suppresor in 5.56.

Already working/have the 300SBR. Want to build a compact 5.56 SBR that's suppressor ready.

What about this option?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5-pistol-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-barrel-and-7-2a-armament-keymod-rail-with-bcg-ch.html

10.3" minimum for 5.56.
11.5" is better.

9" is fine for .300, but you want the longer barrel on 5.56. Better muzzle velocity, ballistics, and recoil impulse.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thank you!

Any recommendation on twist for short barrel? Would like to shoot my bulk xm193 55grains as I have a "few" thousand rounds.
Naveronski
AG
1:7 will do your 55gr fine, but not ideal. Fine for paper and medium engagement distances.

Its sweet spot is the heavier ammo used for 2-4 legged critters. Still, it's what I prefer and recommend.

You could also do 1:8 and be okay.

Skip 1:9.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome!

This will likely just be a fun plinking gun for the wife and also for SHTF. Will probably just mount a red dot on it and call it a day.

Anyone have any other good recommendations for a pistol 5.56 completed upper with threaded barrel?

Thanks
Naveronski
AG
This isn't the best quality, nor anything I'd consider for duty, SHTF, etc.

However, it's cheap.

Know what it is, and what it isn't.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-lightweight-m-lok-9-freedom-upper-without.html?trk_msg=59QNQ27A8I24P0DKUBLSPVT2TS&trk_contact=58THRL5590GL4NDL1BTS7S1G48&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fpsa-10-5-5-56-lightweight-m-lok-9-freedom-upper-without.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deals+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

Honestly, if this is your first AR, I'd really suggest a 1:7 16" mid length gas system.

It'll be easier to shoot, more reliable, less of a legal quandary, and provide better ballistic performance.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not my first AR... first SBR (in 5.56) that I intend for suppressor use and SHTF. My other two ARs are over the counter that have been upgraded slightly and are better suited for varmint hunting. I want something smaller.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Legal quandary
Huh?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
SBR form 1, I presume
Naveronski
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Legal quandary
Huh?
Folks taking a pistol AR and adding a vertical grip, or an actual stock, or shouldering a Sig brace, or any of the other ways to turn a pistol into a AOW/SBR and not knowing the law.
Mr. Dubi
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Looking at a SBR in 5.56 and would like to run a suppressor. Already have the lower, just trying to figure out which barrel length is best to run with suppresor in 5.56.

Already working/have the 300SBR. Want to build a compact 5.56 SBR that's suppressor ready.

What about this option?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5-pistol-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-barrel-and-7-2a-armament-keymod-rail-with-bcg-ch.html

11.5" gives the best minimum muzzle velocity for reliable fragmentation/expansion without over penetration. 10.5" is what most silencer manufacturers will recommend for minimum length.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Naveronski said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Legal quandary
Huh?
Folks taking a pistol AR and adding a vertical grip, or an actual stock, or shouldering a Sig brace, or any of the other ways to turn a pistol into a AOW/SBR and not knowing the law.

For the record, this would be done in accordance with the law via Form 1
dr_boogs
AG
Any thoughts from the gurus on an DPMS lower parts kit? Will likely upgrade grip and trigger, this is going into a 300 blk build on a Seekins lower.

http://www.surplusammo.com/products.php?product=DPMS-AR%252d15-Complete-Lower-Receiver-Parts-Kit-%252d-Clamshell-Packaged&mc_cid=03e759025b&mc_eid=1b633dbec8

Any other premium LPK's that you'd recommend over something like this?
MTxTwelve
Rattle-canned this thing

maverick2076
Look at Palmetto State Armory. You can usually get an LPK with a Magpul grip for about $60, or bettter yet, get an LPK with their enhanced polished trigger for about the same.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Most of the LPKs, outside of the FCG are about the same. Crazy cheap parts with little QC on them. If you're replacing the FCG anyways, just find the cheapest one without one and be done.
TexasAggies06
AG
Looking to build 2 pistols, one in 5.56 and one in .300 BLK, that can later be converted to SBRs and likely add suppressors. I've seen some discussion about barrel length on this thread but want to clarify, what is the optimal length for each of these? For .300 BLK, 8" or 9"? Or is anything in between 8-9" essentially good and equal? For 5.56, 11.5"? These will mainly be used for fun at the range and possibly home defense. TIA
Naveronski
AG
Yes. You're right at the optimum minimal length for both calibers.
The Wonderer
AG
txswag06 said:

Looking to build 2 pistols, one in 5.56 and one in .300 BLK, that can later be converted to SBRs and likely add suppressors. I've seen some discussion about barrel length on this thread but want to clarify, what is the optimal length for each of these? For .300 BLK, 8" or 9", or is anything in between 8-9" essentially good and equal? For 5.56, 11.5"? These will mainly be used for fun at the range and possibly home defense. TIA
300 blk - 8.3" (between 8" and 9" is fine)
5.56 - 10.5" (10.5" is the shortest for penetration energy, but with the right (read: more expensive) ammo, 7.5" can make good personal protection weapons, but the usual effective distance is usually <100 yards)
CharlieBrown17
AG
The Wonderer said:

txswag06 said:

Looking to build 2 pistols, one in 5.56 and one in .300 BLK, that can later be converted to SBRs and likely add suppressors. I've seen some discussion about barrel length on this thread but want to clarify, what is the optimal length for each of these? For .300 BLK, 8" or 9", or is anything in between 8-9" essentially good and equal? For 5.56, 11.5"? These will mainly be used for fun at the range and possibly home defense. TIA
5.56 - 10.5" (10.5" is the shortest for penetration energy, but with the right (read: more expensive) ammo, 7.5" can make good personal protection weapons, but the usual effective distance is usually <100 yards)
Anyone of a good chart or personal experience of what range 5.56 goes to **** in shorter barrels?

like 10.5 is good to xxx
11.5 is good to xxx
The Wonderer
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

The Wonderer said:

txswag06 said:

Anyone of a good chart or personal experience of what range 5.56 goes to **** in shorter barrels?

like 10.5 is good to xxx
11.5 is good to xxx
This is for the M855 62 gr steel core round. You'll see that it cross the magical 2500 line at 9.5" (the next largest mass-commercially available length being 10.5")
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm going to quote myself from the OP of this thread, which was started 8 months ago since the election is tomorrow.

Quote:

People are stupid, and panic buy. So the point of this thread: if you have the money and are thinking about an AR purchase, avoid the panic prices and buy now. Or if you can afford to wait a year, by all means wait...but there's no reason to buy at inflated prices when people panic if they do so again.

We may be approaching the stupid point.

Keep in mind the cycle of panic, kick yourself in the ass for not listening to me in March, and hold off if things do get stupid.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I'm going to quote myself from the OP of this thread, which was started 8 months ago since the election is tomorrow.

Quote:

People are stupid, and panic buy. So the point of this thread: if you have the money and are thinking about an AR purchase, avoid the panic prices and buy now. Or if you can afford to wait a year, by all means wait...but there's no reason to buy at inflated prices when people panic if they do so again.

We may be approaching the stupid point.

Keep in mind the cycle of panic, kick yourself in the ass for not listening to me in March, and hold off if things do get stupid.

We weren't officially open today. I sold four Armalite Eagles. To one person. Fun times are a rolling. Tomorrow will be the determining factor but I think there's a lot of "oh crap" already.
Chazz03
AG
Eye guy and bender we all appreciate your input and expertise. As for me I have done what I can for the last year or so on my limited budget. Part of my livelihood is AG and it pays once a year. That check came in today. If I take a small part of that, what should I put it on in this 11th hour?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Chazz03 said:

If I take a small part of that, what should I put it on in this 11th hour?

Grew up in an Ag family, so I understand about not being able to time purchases.

These two things are in stock right now:

rifle kit

stripped lower

Lowers normally run cheaper, but that's what I'm finding in stock, maybe eyeguy will have a better deal for you.

That plus a rear sight and a magazine will get you a complete rifle for under $700.

TamuKid
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Chazz03 said:

Grew up in an Ag family, so I understand about not being able to time purchases.

rifle kit

stripped lower

Lowers normally run cheaper, but that's what I'm finding in stock, maybe eyeguy will have a better deal for you.

That plus a rear sight and a magazine will get you a complete rifle for under $700.

PSA rifle kit now out of stock.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Holy crap... have stripped lowers jumped in price that much or are Spikes lowers always a little higher?
Chazz03
AG
TamuKid said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Chazz03 said:

rifle kit

stripped lower

BenderRodriguez
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Holy crap... have stripped lowers jumped in price that much or are Spikes lowers always a little higher?

The anderson and cheaper stuff is just sold out right now.

And I think spikes normally run ~80, but don't quote me on that.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Chazz03 said:

TamuKid said:

Here's another kit for $600.

HvilleAggie
AG
Cabela's had stripped lowers for $50 online FYI

Grab any rifle kit you can, or snag a lower parts kit and separate upper
BenderRodriguez
AG
HvilleAggie said:

Cabela's had stripped lowers for $50 online FYI

Grab any rifle kit you can, or snag a lower parts kit and separate upper

Dang.

I would never think to check Cabelas for the low price on anything. Who knew.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
shows out of stock right now at Cabelas
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Be watching brownells. I ordered 20 andersons from them last week.
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

We weren't officially open today. I sold four Armalite Eagles. To one person. Fun times are a rolling. Tomorrow will be the determining factor but I think there's a lot of "oh crap" already.

When this all dies down I need to reach out to you about my A4, but it can wait until this craziness is over if it does happen again.

CTGilley
AG
Has anyone seen lower parts in stainless/ nickel? I have seen titanium but I am thinking a little cheaper. I think a rifle would look great with all silver parts on a black lower.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.